AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-23, 17:43   Link #841
kamikazex

i just also finished this show finally after putting it off for so long. let's just say i've never seen transsexuals depicted in such an awesome way lol. momoko was pretty badass kicking ass and his attacks were hilarious. all in all, it was still pleasant and fun to watch.
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:51   Link #842
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Kashiro View Post
I guess I can kind of understand why Shangri-La wasn't very well accepted.

At the same time, it is one of my favorite series. The characters were so alive, even if some of them (Kuniko) were so 'perfect' that sometimes it hurt. To make up for it though, Karin and Sayoko were incredible characters who I fell in love with instantly.

I only wish it had been a 26 episode series, the last bit felt a bit rushed and like it should have run longer. There was a lot of promise here, and while it fell short seeing what it could have been is still amazing.

I think for those of this that loved it, it will probably be remembered as better than it actually was. It's like the barely-there plot of Etrian Odyssey (a huge game love of mine) was stretched into a full show, giving me a world that felt familiar but was still deeper than my first glimpse of it.

It could have been much better, but it still counts as one of my favorite anime so far.
Yeah, I would have also have liked if they had been given those 2 more episodes to fully depict the final arc.

I agree with that, I too think those that got into it really enjoyed it. It's among my favorite shows as well and despite it not reaching the sky-high promise it showed at various times, the ambition of the show grabbed me right away and stuck with me to the end which was a fantastic draw as were the extremely distinctively portrayed characters and mix of events (it was great how consistently there was multiple ways of progressing the story that greatly fit the setting, like the action events, politics and manipulation, hacking, economics, and of course dramatic events all pushing things forward sometimes simultaneously) with something important almost always going on on at least one of the fronts even when another group was regrouping and the mystery/revelation style of the reveals were wonderfully addictive.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:55   Link #843
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazex View Post
i just also finished this show finally after putting it off for so long. let's just say i've never seen transsexuals depicted in such an awesome way lol. momoko was pretty badass kicking ass and his attacks were hilarious. all in all, it was still pleasant and fun to watch.
Speaking of his badass and hilarious moments. Momoko's battle against Sayoko, I believe it was right after Kuniko's prison escape, was so awesome and fun and hilariously entertaining, great fight.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 18:18   Link #844
Shyne

I really liked this series! I think that once you got into episode 4 it was easier to follow. At least for me. I liked the depiction of the variety of characters here.

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 19:47   Link #845
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne View Post
I really liked this series! I think that once you got into episode 4 it was easier to follow. At least for me. I liked the depiction of the variety of characters here.
I'll have to say I agree. I just finished watching the series after dropping it at episode 3 back when it was airing because I was unsure of where it was going and CrunchyRoll picked it up so the eps stopped popping up on my feed reader (I'm very lazy).

Anyway I must say this show had a lot going for it: great looks, great characters, very good music... Gonzo clearly showed in this series just how good they can be and yet something was still missing. Minor details were missing in the story to make it work better imho. I feel that halfway through all the supernatural went a bit off the handle and managed to throw the story from the dystopian future to a fantasy theme that I personally think didn't suit my initial expectations from the show.

Of course that's just my opinion and even with that less then perfect point I still believe the show was very very good. Better than most things flying around lately. Unfortunately near the end it seems like the show could use a few more episodes to properly flesh out every storyline it had going and that tones it down from awesome to just very good. In the end what I really think hurt the show more was that this style of story would probably have better public reception a couple of years ago which is a shame since Gonzo could really use a couple more blockbusters right about now.
Old 2010-01-31, 11:12   Link #846
ViewtifulAlchemist

Just got finished watching this series after being on the back burner of other series I needed to catch up on. This was one of the series I was looking forward to the most out of the list since I expected to be a "cute girl takes on the world" type story.

For the most part this was true but I admit I almost gave up on it from one of the earlier episodes that got really heavy with the financial babble. I can deal with psycho and technobabble but watching this series made me realize financial-babble is my limit. Thankfully I forced myself to keep watching and it payed off.

I really enjoyed the series overall, good set of characters and they set up a wonderful world for them. It was just the final few episodes that threw me off, not that they were bad. It just seem to be way different than what I expecting out of the series. I was disappointed the series started to shift into being more supernatural heavy towards the end. The whole random girl is taken over by Hiruko or Mikuni's whole body-bending voodoo from the earlier episodes should have been red flags for that I guess.

It seems like a lot of things was rushed near the end, things just tied up too fast. Almost like the show's true potential was cut off some without an extra 2 episodes to flesh out some details or the ending itself.

Momoka was freaking incredible, totally caught me off guard how much I would like that character.

Reading some earlier posts in this thread about Shangri-La's popularity makes me sad that the show was recieved so poorly. Seems it would give off the wrong impression that studios shouldn't try to do more series like Shangri-La (or improve on it) and just stay with the more "safe" anime story ideas.
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 11:20   Link #847
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewtifulAlchemist View Post
Just got finished watching this series after being on the back burner of other series I needed to catch up on. This was one of the series I was looking forward to the most out of the list since I expected to be a "cute girl takes on the world" type story.

For the most part this was true but I admit I almost gave up on it from one of the earlier episodes that got really heavy with the financial babble. I can deal with psycho and technobabble but watching this series made me realize financial-babble is my limit. Thankfully I forced myself to keep watching and it payed off.

I really enjoyed the series overall, good set of characters and they set up a wonderful world for them. It was just the final few episodes that threw me off, not that they were bad. It just seem to be way different than what I expecting out of the series. I was disappointed the series started to shift into being more supernatural heavy towards the end. The whole random girl is taken over by Hiruko or Mikuni's whole body-bending voodoo from the earlier episodes should have been red flags for that I guess.

It seems like a lot of things was rushed near the end, things just tied too fast and I still kind of don't get the whole Zeus-Ryoko deal.

Momoka was freaking incredible, totally caught me off guard how much I would like that character.

Reading some earlier posts in this thread about Shangri-La's popularity makes me sad that the show was recieved so poorly. Seems it would give off the wrong impression that studios shouldn't try to do more serious like Shangri-La (or improve on it) and just stay with the more "safe" anime story ideas.
Well besides very bad writing and plot(not this showmore a rant for some of the other newer anime that's so cliched and midecore or worse that every one just loves) is this not a "safe" series? Maybe the lolis had to strong a personality and scared off that demographic that or Momoko did
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 07:24   Link #848
ViewtifulAlchemist

Kind of answer your own question there, it's like a lot of series aren't really trying anymore. Gotta dig a lot harder nowadays to find the (potential) gems in the piles of ****.

lol @ Momoko scaring away viewers (she was awesome to me).
Old 2010-02-01, 15:57   Link #849
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewtifulAlchemist View Post
Kind of answer your own question there, it's like a lot of series aren't really trying anymore. Gotta dig a lot harder nowadays to find the (potential) gems in the piles of ****.

lol @ Momoko scaring away viewers (she was awesome to me).
He was........
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 21:35   Link #850
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think a lot of people were put off not only by the concept (what? Global warming is a real threat? PREPOSTEROUS!) and that Shangri-la wasn't afraid to have techno-babble as well as spiritual-babble, and financial-babble (psuedo or not).
Also agreeing with the spiritual aspects turning me off, the ending being a bit abrupt, and Momoko being totally awesome.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 22:51   Link #851
ViewtifulAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
He was........
A transsexual is both mother and father - Momoko. I don't think it's a big deal in what gender you refer Momoko to even though she (or he) seems to obviously prefer to be referred to as a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer
I think a lot of people were put off not only by the concept (what? Global warming is a real threat? PREPOSTEROUS!)
Lol, yeah. Maybe Al Gore would be a fan of this series if presented to him.
Old 2010-02-02, 21:57   Link #852
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
As I recall, it was the financial-babble that really lost the audience.
Old 2010-02-03, 05:09   Link #853
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
As I recall, it was the financial-babble that really lost the audience.

I was quite astounded by it. I'm a econ graduate student, they were describing what amounts to a speculative currency attack in a great amount of detail. The person who wrote that wasn't pulling stuff out of their butt (like Spice and Wolf).
Old 2010-02-03, 08:23   Link #854
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
I was quite astounded by it. I'm a econ graduate student, they were describing what amounts to a speculative currency attack in a great amount of detail. The person who wrote that wasn't pulling stuff out of their butt (like Spice and Wolf).
So wait, was the financial-babble semi-realistic in Shangri-la then? I thought that most of us wrote it off but no one fully understood it so if you could give an answer that would be awesome.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 11:28   Link #855
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
It's funny cause I'm not in anyway related to economy-related subjects (computer science student here) yet I found the economic side of the anime one of it's most interesting aspects. Good to know it was all pulled out of nowhere and actually had basis in reality.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:51   Link #856
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I'm sorry to bring back this thread but after finishing this series, I feel frustrated that it received poorly. It wasn't my favourite but I digress, it was most definitely the imaginative series. It was well-researched, the characters were multi-faceted and the plot was fascinating.

No wonder these days hardly any studios take risk, when dumb, stupid idiots bring show like this down. Really I have to say anime fandom just may be hardest to please. Sure, it had its flaws and plotholes but it was one of the most unpredictable one that brings closure in the end. Plenty of anime suffers from rushed ending but I feel this one got the worse feedback. Anyway it's sad Gonzo is no longer.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, science fiction