AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-05-13, 16:35   Link #281
blueorange

@FTV

-ass-font-scale <value>

eg -ass-font-scale 1.5 will give you a 50% increase in size.

MPlayer seems to display fonts smaller than VSFilter (which is what most group probably have in mind when they do the typesetting). I think you can achieve something similar to VSFilter if you use a value of 1.2 or 1.3 You may want to experiment though.

There are other option you can add to the subtitles as well. Read about them in the online man pages found here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html

Look under OSD/Subtitle Options
Old 2007-05-14, 01:25   Link #282
Junpei

So to clarify... can I use andiyar's MPlayer build to play a MKV with ASS subs? How am I supposed to be able to turn the subs on? EDIT: doh, I saw the edit to the first post in the thread with instructions. Though I still can't see any subtitles....

Last edited by Junpei; 2007-05-14 at 01:40.
Old 2007-05-14, 01:49   Link #283
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
And to answer... yes, on both PPC & Intel. Hit the 'b' key to cycle through subtitles. If that doesn't work, try hitting the 'j' key. Make sure that you've entered the necessary parameters in the preferences to activate SubStationAlpha and fontconfig.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-14, 01:58   Link #284
Junpei

Yeah, I got the parameters set. 'b' didn't do anything but I'll try 'j', but first, now I'm suddenly getting an error when I try to start playback: MPlayer OSX[5429] Abnormal playback error. mplayer returned error code: 5

And where the player window should be is just a white frame around the video file (which is frozen at the first frame)

EDIT: O_O it randomly started working after relaunching the app several times and now the subtitles display! I still see a lot of errors in the log about fontconfig and missing files (like was discussed above in the thread) and also "**** Your system is too SLOW to play this! ****" which is ridiculous, I'm on a 2.66 Mac Pro. But playback seems unaffected, smooth framerate and readable subs.
Old 2007-05-14, 02:17   Link #285
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

I wouldn't worry much about the logged errors as long as playback is happening. Odd with the system too slow, but that might be something to do with multithreading/multicore systems (grasping here ^^).

If problems crop up again, try deleting your prefs files and see if that makes any difference. The multiple launches is a bit odd - which is why I'd have thought corrupt prefs - but otherwise... good to know it works.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-14, 03:47   Link #286
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
I wouldn't worry much about the logged errors as long as playback is happening. Odd with the system too slow, but that might be something to do with multithreading/multicore systems (grasping here ^^).

If problems crop up again, try deleting your prefs files and see if that makes any difference. The multiple launches is a bit odd - which is why I'd have thought corrupt prefs - but otherwise... good to know it works.

-Andiyar
Unless for some reason, the PPC version is being run (as I get that error when trialling out changes I've made on the Intel Build to make sure the PPC build hasn't been affected.

By the way, did you get my reply that the new DMG was good to go last week? I'm not always convinced that PMs get through!
Old 2007-05-14, 04:12   Link #287
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
OK first post updated. Any 10.3 and lower users will now have to use one of the official builds from Mplayer.
Old 2007-05-14, 21:31   Link #288
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Nonezumi

Oh! I forgot to PM you. Yes, I did, I just did a 'silent update' so to speak and didn't mention it here... remiss of me!

For everyone else, the Universal build has been updated, to add support for the audio problems that some of you Intel mac users have been experiencing. The url is the same, and is in the first post of this thread. When you've downloaded it, please read the ReadMe file, as it contains instructions on how to avoid the audio problems.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-05-15, 06:59   Link #289
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtetsuo View Post
OK first post updated. Any 10.3 and lower users will now have to use one of the official builds from Mplayer.
I'm afraid the front page will have to be updated again, as there's a slightly different set of additional parameters for the Intel-based Macs to cope with the MP3 audio problem. Sorry for the trouble!
Old 2007-05-15, 16:38   Link #290
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
I'm afraid the front page will have to be updated again, as there's a slightly different set of additional parameters for the Intel-based Macs to cope with the MP3 audio problem. Sorry for the trouble!
Please PM me the info required and I'll edit it in.

And don't be sorry, this is supposed to be a comprehensive guide, constantly updated whenever something new comes along!
Old 2007-05-19, 02:03   Link #291
BOZZY

I am getting a weird problem with the most recent build of the mplayer listed in the first page.

When I try playing an avi it doesn't play and I get the following in console:

Spoiler:

MKVs seem to work with no problem but the AVIs on the other hand don't seem to work at all...
Old 2007-05-19, 10:39   Link #292
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY View Post
I am getting a weird problem with the most recent build of the mplayer listed in the first page.

When I try playing an avi it doesn't play and I get the following in console:

Spoiler:

MKVs seem to work with no problem but the AVIs on the other hand don't seem to work at all...
Hrm... I have no problems with AVIs on Mplayer now. Having a scout around through Google I can't find anything referring to signal 10 from anything other than the audio codec modules. (Usually, it seems to be signal 11 referring to video codecs).

Exactly which Mac are you using? And do ALL AVIs you have around have the same problem? As a test, it might be a plan to remove the '-ac mad,' part of the additional parameters, hit mute on your speakers so you're not forced to listen to the awful garbled noise which will hurt your ears, and see if the file plays OK. It's not likely to work given that it's complaining about the video module rather than audio, but it's worth eliminating.

In the short-term I do note there is an MKV version of that series anyway

I've grabbed that file you've mentioned, and it plays fine on my machine, I'm afraid... :S

Last edited by Nonezumi; 2007-05-19 at 11:43. Reason: File grabbed and checked!
Old 2007-05-19, 13:48   Link #293
BOZZY

Quote:
Hrm... I have no problems with AVIs on Mplayer now. Having a scout around through Google I can't find anything referring to signal 10 from anything other than the audio codec modules. (Usually, it seems to be signal 11 referring to video codecs).

Exactly which Mac are you using? And do ALL AVIs you have around have the same problem? As a test, it might be a plan to remove the '-ac mad,' part of the additional parameters, hit mute on your speakers so you're not forced to listen to the awful garbled noise which will hurt your ears, and see if the file plays OK. It's not likely to work given that it's complaining about the video module rather than audio, but it's worth eliminating.

In the short-term I do note there is an MKV version of that series anyway

I've grabbed that file you've mentioned, and it plays fine on my machine, I'm afraid... :S
I am using the lowest end Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. It seems to apply to ALL AVIs actually... I took out the ac part and the same problem persisted...
Old 2007-05-22, 18:34   Link #294
Nonezumi

Quote:
I am using the lowest end Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. It seems to apply to ALL AVIs actually... I took out the ac part and the same problem persisted...
Hrm...

It was compiled on a Macbook Pro, but a Core Duo rather than a Core 2 Duo (one of the originals). Aside from that, I can't really see what would be causing it.

Has anyone else with a Core 2 Duo-based Mac had problems as well?

Out of interest, which video out module are you using? That can be selected from Preferences as well. I'm using the CoreVideo (BETA) module, as otherwise I can't fullscreen to a 2nd display properly.
Old 2007-05-22, 21:54   Link #295
BOZZY

Quote:
Hrm...

It was compiled on a Macbook Pro, but a Core Duo rather than a Core 2 Duo (one of the originals). Aside from that, I can't really see what would be causing it.

Has anyone else with a Core 2 Duo-based Mac had problems as well?

Out of interest, which video out module are you using? That can be selected from Preferences as well. I'm using the CoreVideo (BETA) module, as otherwise I can't fullscreen to a 2nd display properly.
I've tried using both video out modules and the same thing happens.

Could it be I missed installing something? I have X11 installed, was there anything else I needed, such as Flip4Mac (I think I have that installed as well)?
Old 2007-05-23, 12:46   Link #296
Nonezumi

Quote:
I've tried using both video out modules and the same thing happens.

Could it be I missed installing something? I have X11 installed, was there anything else I needed, such as Flip4Mac (I think I have that installed as well)?
That's the strange thing; there shouldn't be any other dependencies (aside from a small issue with the fontconfig which I haven't got around to looking into yet), as the package contains static versions of all the libraries I used to compile it). As long as you've definitely installed the X11 updates, then there shouldn't be that much of an issue...

As a long shot, you might want to install the Codec Package from Mplayer's page and see if that helps at all... You can get it from here. Make sure you get the Mac OS X x86 package and not the PPC one. I ddi have the codec package installed from when I started trying to get my own build of the player up, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

As I said, I would be interested to see if any other Core2 Duo users have similar problems - sadly, I don't know if anyone else is using it on a similar spec'ed Macbook! A friend of mine _should_ be getting one soon, but that doesn't really help you at the moment.
Old 2007-05-24, 22:10   Link #297
BOZZY

Quote:
That's the strange thing; there shouldn't be any other dependencies (aside from a small issue with the fontconfig which I haven't got around to looking into yet), as the package contains static versions of all the libraries I used to compile it). As long as you've definitely installed the X11 updates, then there shouldn't be that much of an issue...

As a long shot, you might want to install the Codec Package from Mplayer's page and see if that helps at all... You can get it from here. Make sure you get the Mac OS X x86 package and not the PPC one. I ddi have the codec package installed from when I started trying to get my own build of the player up, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

As I said, I would be interested to see if any other Core2 Duo users have similar problems - sadly, I don't know if anyone else is using it on a similar spec'ed Macbook! A friend of mine _should_ be getting one soon, but that doesn't really help you at the moment.
I installed that codec package, it didn't change a thing. I tried removing Mplayer and then reinstalling it (I deleted the config file in ~/.mplayer first) and now Mplayer seems to work fine for MKVs. Some AVIs on the other hand render with sped up audio or the video plays slow.
Old 2007-05-26, 06:17   Link #298
Spirit_Moon

Hi guys,
Do you know how to play RMVB (Real Media Variable Bitrate) files on MPlayer ?
I already download the RP9 codecs for Mac from MPlayer home site, but it doesn't work. The image does not come out, only the sound.
Do i need to re-compile MPlayer ?
How ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2007-05-26, 17:32   Link #299
SassyRobot

Yes I've run into similar problems as BOZZY. I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I'm getting the same error messages, "error code: 1"

I've noticed that if I leave the addition parameters (containing "-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig -ac mad,") box UNchecked, I get speeded up or garbled audio with avi files. If it's checked, then the .avi files don't even play (it tries to open, but closes right away; "continue or open log" options pop up).

I've also noticed a similar problem with some .mkv files. Sometimes the only way to get them to play properly is by UNchecking the additional parameters box. In these cases, the subs still show up (and without having to cycle through the sub files with "b", they are already there by default). If I try to play these files with the box checked, I get the "Playback Error". So really, I'd think these ones are fine, and don't even need that "addition parameters" thing.

In other cases with the box unchecked, other mkv files still play, but without proper subtitles (i can enable the subs, but all the characters show up as question marks - like the actual text at the bottom is all "?"). But having the boxed checked to play these ones make them work as they should. The files play fine, and I can enable subs as a please.

So I find that when I choose to watch an mkv and it doesnt work, I try switching the additional parameters on and off. As for avi files, I use quicktime (with perian and some other codecs that I probably don't need anymore...).

Hopefully that makes some sense. I can try to explain things in more detail if you need more information, such as info on which mkvs work, and which don't
Old 2007-05-28, 12:36   Link #300
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

So I was noticing that in MPlayer the default font for when a font isn't specified is some kind of stylized thing using the custom build and preferences. Is there a way to specify what font I want the default font to be in these cases? I'd rather it be something plain like Arial.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate