AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-27, 08:05   Link #5721
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Spoiler for And since B-T is down for now, parts 3-7 of Vol 11 Chp 5.:
Hmm... is that all there is about Tōma's and Index talk? Didn't they talk about Tōma's memory loss?

Anyway, any info about Index wielding Lævateinn (aka. Freyr's magical sword)?
Old 2010-10-27, 08:12   Link #5722
reaper with no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbad726 View Post
can someone explain how accelerators power is symbolic to Osiris, the Egyptian god of the dead, came about? that and how other characters powers resemble some god or deity?
A little more detail into that:

Aleister Crowley (the real life one) had a religion called Thelema, which applied "scientific" principles to spiritual matters (test new things, keep detailed records, be objective, etc). One of it's core tenets is the idea of a "true will" (destiny, basically) that each one of us has and should pursue.

Now, the "magic" of Thelema is that basically, through the application of one's will, one can make an object undergo any change that the object is naturally capable of going through (if this sounds like Esper powers, it should).

Aleister Crowley liked to classify religions into aeons according to the themes they focused on.

The aeon of Isis was religions focusing on earth, nature, and creation. In these religions, the material ignores the spiritual. They were a lot more concerned with explaining why things were the way they were than they were with the afterlife.

The aeon of Osiris, on the other hand, was all about death and resurrection. In these religions, suffering is glorified and corpses are deified. The spiritual strives to ignore the material. Christianity is an Osiris religion (note the focus on the death and resurrection of Christ, as well as all the stuff about being a good person so you can go to Heaven instead of Hell).

The aeon of Horus was supposed to have started when Crowley (again, the real one) published the Book of the Law and began the Thelema religion (this is why in the series the "Christian age" will end if the Book of the Law is deciphered, and in a way it has been, considering how Academy City is rising while the magic factions are waning).

Basically, the aeon of Horus can be summarized as "freed from the fear of death, people go out into the world with a renewed desire for spiritual exploration". It represents a spiritual awakening of sorts.

Accelerator's unawakened state has control over the natural world, which represents the power of Isis (in the context described above).

The Black Wings, however, are created from Accelerator's rage and showcase his ability to cause fear and death. All of these things are very fitting of the aeon of Osiris.

Accelerator's current state, which shows him finally free of his bloody past and able to be a better person, is like a Horus state.
Old 2010-10-27, 08:19   Link #5723
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Hmm... is that all there is about Tōma's and Index talk? Didn't they talk about Tōma's memory loss?

Anyway, any info about Index wielding Lævateinn (aka. Freyr's magical sword)?
You got the wrong novel. The one Teh_ping is current translating is vol. 11- the one you want is vol 22.

Vol. 22 is generally available on baka-tsuski which is currently down. But I think that if you were to go back about 50 or so pages on this thread, you could probably find the talk.
Old 2010-10-27, 08:24   Link #5724
outerelf

Quote:
Why are you so sure? Sure, Itsuwa is not as mature but its because of that that she can do that sort of outrageous thing. Even though the hand-wiping plan (TL note don’t really know what this is :x) of hers failed multiple times, you can tell that she is putting a lot of effort into it.
This is referring back to volume 11 where Itsuwa kept handing Touma wet handkerchiefs. If you're reading the translation by Teh_Ping, then it gets to be pretty amusing.

Last edited by outerelf; 2010-10-27 at 16:11. Reason: Deleting NSFW part
Old 2010-10-27, 09:49   Link #5725
IppoTsuko
Acadamy City's Number One

just a request, can someone pls translate vol 15
Old 2010-10-27, 10:43   Link #5726
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by IppoTsuko View Post
just a request, can someone pls translate vol 15
Joay's doing that now (I'm guessing that his favourite character is Accelerator as well). And Flere821 was kind enough to do Vol 15 chp 4 (but I suppose you know that).
Old 2010-10-27, 11:53   Link #5727
ricaryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
You got the wrong novel. The one Teh_ping is current translating is vol. 11- the one you want is vol 22.
Can you please tell me which chapter from vol. 22 it was from atleast?? Wants to read the ToumaxIndex final goodbye scene too
Old 2010-10-27, 12:13   Link #5728
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaryx View Post
Can you please tell me which chapter from vol. 22 it was from atleast?? Wants to read the ToumaxIndex final goodbye scene too
oh my -_- I believe it's chapter 12 in vol. 22- it was one of the last few chapters at the very least...
Old 2010-10-27, 12:16   Link #5729
tsunade666

I think it's part 5.
Old 2010-10-27, 14:37   Link #5730
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachuwei View Post
phew after 2 hours and lots of screen staring, my debut work. I have to say, my respect for all the translators has massively increased.

hope i didnt botch it up too much, my chinese isnt that hot and its getting late so i dont have much time to double check.
Teh-Ping you wouldnt mind checking it for me right? =)

Spoiler for V.16:
someone should where the fallen angel ero costume for halloween.
Old 2010-10-27, 15:35   Link #5731
tsunade666

I want to see a halloween party of necesarius. With fallen ero maid vs fairy vs imp. then we got witches and royalties to.
Old 2010-10-27, 15:40   Link #5732
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
It's generally okay, but the sentence structures are a bit awkward. It feels like I'm a commentator of an NBA game, and not a storyteller.

Some points I want to point out:

1) For sound effects, you have to use your imagination. There's no dictionary for it (yet). Maybe manga reading helps. I don't know, I just thought of them on the spot.

2) Well, past tenses would be okay. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your choice.

3) In the online Chinese translation, they use [] for open inverted commas and closed inverted commas. Remember that in English, we use ".

4) (FOR CHINESE) Don't copy any translator notes or comments unnecessarily! And don't include yours unless you want to give some reference.

Very few people would like that in a dialogue, since though we're not professionals, we have to act like them (yes,it's very weird, but that's the class that people want to see).

For TAMnI, most of the information is already given, but if you want to elaborate more on the point, you can. Recently, I added a reference about Sodom and Gomorrah in Vol 11 Chp 4, and that can work. But not something like: "OH GOSH! NO!!" (That was also mine, in Vol 7 Chp 1 before it got deleted. Think some pdfs still have that version.)

Spoiler for Edits are in red, and I only made a few of them.:

Which reminds me. Anyone who wants me to check, tell me which language you are translating from.
]
hehe thanks for the advice

as for the TL notes, they were just my own thoughts as i was translating. The "sfx" was not really sound effects, it was the screaming of the characters and i was at a loss to translate them.

i think ill get better as i get used to translating ^.^

edit: like flere i translate from chinese
Old 2010-10-27, 15:43   Link #5733
pikachuwei

Quote:
Spoiler for What this means (NSFW):

This is referring back to volume 11 where Itsuwa kept handing Touma wet handkerchiefs. If you're reading the translation by Teh_Ping, then it gets to be pretty amusing.
haha yes i know the NSFW meaning that Tsuchimikado was trying to imply, the part i was having trouble was Tsuchimikado's inability to reply to Kanzaki's innocence (really that girl is so naive XD)

and thanks about the wet hanky plan, i havent read vol 11 yet, am busy with exams >.>
Old 2010-10-27, 16:10   Link #5734
outerelf

Quote:
haha yes i know the NSFW meaning that Tsuchimikado was trying to imply, the part i was having trouble was Tsuchimikado's inability to reply to Kanzaki's innocence (really that girl is so naive XD)

and thanks about the wet hanky plan, i havent read vol 11 yet, am busy with exams >.>
Really? Then I'm going to go back and delete the NSFW part because I was blushing bright red when I typed that.

And thanks for translaitng even when busy with exams.
Old 2010-10-27, 16:24   Link #5735
pikachuwei

Quote:
Really? Then I'm going to go back and delete the NSFW part because I was blushing bright red when I typed that.

And thanks for translaitng even when busy with exams.
unlike our Amakusa pontiff, i am not that naive, being a guy and all

really i shouldnt be translating, if my parents find out im toast >.>
Old 2010-10-27, 16:25   Link #5736
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I want to see a halloween party of necesarius. With fallen ero maid vs fairy vs imp. then we got witches and royalties to.
hmm if i have time i might translate the part where itsuwa was deciding whether to buy the Great Fairy Costume to counterattack Kanzaki's Ero fallen angel costume

the dialogue between the male amakusa is hilarious
Old 2010-10-27, 16:30   Link #5737
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Who's the imp?
Old 2010-10-27, 17:01   Link #5738
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
hmm if i have time i might translate the part where itsuwa was deciding whether to buy the Great Fairy Costume to counterattack Kanzaki's Ero fallen angel costume

the dialogue between the male amakusa is hilarious
i know the amusuka are always havin fun seeing the girls battle it out. Its more funny cuz i like the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Who's the imp?
It wasnt made yet but agnese and angelene thought that lucia should where an imp cosplay.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:02   Link #5739
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Who's the imp?
itsuwa is the one amakusas try to make cosplay as imp/fairy.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:21   Link #5740
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
itsuwa is the one amakusas try to make cosplay as imp/fairy.
No, it was Lucia but she refused.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen