AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 80 56.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 21.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-07, 20:55   Link #41
wtfftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
yeah that part was.. bittersweet? idk what to say, or its the bgm thats actually playing my heart strings.

i love how they animate this arc, i feel it better than the VN one
I KNOW how you FEEL bro

I really wanna know what happens after or during the festival for Misae. I mean a guy approaching her now would get so dissed.

That voice actor is definitely my fav. Every role she acts i always get moved xD
Old 2008-11-07, 22:21   Link #42
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
Trap FTW! I think that KyoAni is training to anime these stuff in Little Buster XD
And:
Spoiler for EP6:
Old 2008-11-07, 22:45   Link #43
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Pretty sad to see the misae-san's arc end in just 2 episodes, but this episode is the clannad type episode I was looking for. The first episode was in a way a disappointment but this episode just made it so much better. The music playing in the background made the moments in this episode so much better.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:15   Link #44
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Yes! Looking forward to the widescreen version, just so I have a better version to snapshot and archive.

Between Kanon and the first season, I knew it was coming, but I could still hope for the impossible. ;_;

A human is fine, too.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:32   Link #45
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Was a good ep, but it didn't really have enough build-up for me for the resolution to have any sort of significant impact. The whole supernatural thing is also a bit overdone now, and we still don't really know the whole deal with Shima.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:36   Link #46
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
and we still don't really know the whole deal with Shima.
Isn't it implicit for the most part though?
Old 2008-11-07, 23:45   Link #47
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eczema View Post
The whole supernatural thing is also a bit overdone now
CONFIRMED SUPERNATURAL THINGS IN CLANNAD TV TO DATE:

1) Fuuko
2) Shima

Hmmrrr, overdone, is it?

And no, the Illusionary World doesn't count, as it hasn't yet been revealed what it is yet, and whether or not it's actually a story.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:46   Link #48
kyouray
2D > 3D

I enjoyed this episode : Misae was so cute. The supernatural thing is a little overdone but it's touching : that's Key's talent and KyoAni too
It seems that the short arcs in Clannad are the best
Old 2008-11-07, 23:46   Link #49
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post

A human is fine, too.
For a scene that was supposed to be emotional, she looked rather erotic in that scene. Maybe a slightly less suggestive pose would have been more fitting for that scene.

Look, I could throw all sorts of criticisms at that like "predictable" or "rushed" but the fact of the matter is that I was genuinely moved by this story. The final scene was particularly well done. The falling sakura petals, the bright, simple backgrounds and melancholic music, the moving revelation that gives meaning to the story, the general bittersweet feeling of the whole thing. It was so traditionally Key/KyoAni in the way it was executed.

I really think this show is at its best when it's about simple stories that are told with heart. Just like this arc, as well as the finale of Fuko and Nagisa's arcs. When it tries to be too convoluted and evocative, it kinda falls on its face, IMO (Sunohara's arc, arguably Kotomi's arc).
Old 2008-11-07, 23:51   Link #50
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I still love how people criticize the show for adapting the game almost directly.

But when a studio takes liberties with its adapation, people whine even more.

No one ever wins in this situation.

Relatedly, Misae's pose there is direct from one of the game CGs.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:53   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
For a scene that was supposed to be emotional, she looked rather erotic in that scene. Maybe a slightly less suggestive pose would have been more fitting for that scene.

Look, I could throw all sorts of criticisms at that like "predictable" or "rushed" but the fact of the matter is that I was genuinely moved by this story. The final scene was particularly well done. The falling sakura petals, the bright, simple backgrounds and melancholic music, the moving revelation that gives meaning to the story, the general bittersweet feeling of the whole thing. It was so traditionally Key/KyoAni in the way it was executed.

I really think this show is at its best when it's about simple stories that are told with heart. Just like this arc, as well as the finale of Fuko and Nagisa's arcs. When it tries to be too convoluted and evocative, it kinda falls on its face, IMO (Sunohara's arc, arguably Kotomi's arc).
It's another copy-paste from the game, which is arguably out of place for the most part, unless of course you take completely in belief that she more or less knows at that point the identity of her cat.

Also, I'm sure most of us noticed the 2 rather questionable men following Yukine around during the final festival scene. Lasted for maybe 2 seconds.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:53   Link #52
GreatTeacherKen

After watching episode 5 I thought that if Shima grew his hair out and wore feminine clothing, he'd make a perfect trap.

And then this episode came along.

Anyways, poor Misae. She gets heartbroken twice. First she finds out the hard way that her crush is taken. Then the nice guy who's always supported her and who she has grown fond of disappears.

But at least he'll always be with her now albeit as a cat.

And that confession was really sweet. The lighting during the kiss gives off an almost magical mood.
Old 2008-11-07, 23:54   Link #53
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
For a scene that was supposed to be emotional, she looked rather erotic in that scene.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I still love how people criticize the show for adapting the game almost directly.
Quit whining, we're trying to have a discussion here.
Old 2008-11-08, 00:01   Link #54
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Quit whining, we're trying to have a discussion here.
Excuse me for attempting to make a point.

If people are going to criticize, then they should at least know what they are criticizing.
Old 2008-11-08, 00:05   Link #55
arkxkra
全力全開

very good episode, quite touching . Beautiful ~
Old 2008-11-08, 00:24   Link #56
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Excuse me for attempting to make a point.

If people are going to criticize, then they should at least know what they are criticizing.
What are you suggesting, that people can't criticize anything that's been directly adapted from the game without having read through it first. Ignoring the fact that Misae's pose in that scene is such a minor point that it's barely worth debating, keep in mind that we're discussing an anime, not a game, and its merit as an adaptation is only a small part of the complete work.

This is where I stand on this issue: I'll just about never criticize an anime studio for taking liberties with a source material of itself. If the anime is worse, then that's because of poor execution or ill-conceived ideas, not because of the decision to take liberties in the first place. When you start demanding complete loyalty to the source material, you discount the possibility that the makers of the adaptation could possibly do parts of it better. The source material isn't perfect. That doesn't just apply to Clannad, that's a broad, general statement that applies to just about any source that's adapted into a different medium. Sometimes the very nature of the adapted medium demands that changes be made.

If I notice something I don't like in any anime, I'll criticize it. I don't care one iota if they did it in the original exactly the same. That's incidental. If I come across the same flaw in the original, then I'll very likely have the same criticisms.
Old 2008-11-08, 00:35   Link #57
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Whereas I disagree: An animation studio, adapting a work, any work, should only be changing things so that they make more sense, not less. They should not be taking liberties in any form whatsoever.

To do so would be disrespecting the original work, and alienate its fans. (See: Shakugan no Shana)

(And even if changes do make more sense, there are still people who are going to complain.)

I personally tend to look at Clannad as strictly an adaptation, having played the game, but that is my view, and I do understand where you are coming from.
Old 2008-11-08, 00:56   Link #58
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
To do so would be disrespecting the original work, and alienate its fans. (See: Shakugan no Shana)
And the "fans" deserve more regard than people who just want to see a well made anime with good execution and a cohesive and impactful story?

Look, I'm not big on this idea that "fans know best". It encourages works that appeal to a base, whose preferences are well established, and so little genuine creativity is necessary to tide them over. We saw a pretty dramatic example of this with the recent Kimikiss anime. The series got a hefty backlash from so called "fans" because of the general change in feel from the source material, but many who saw the anime all the way through considered it to be a good series, an interesting new take on an otherwise often stale genre. And one of my personal favourite recent films is a very loose adaptation of a book that's over eighty years old.

I've no problem with an adaptation having complete loyalty. I can see the merit in that in some cases. I just think that it's wrong to get up in arms about minor changes when it doesn't impact the overall ability of an adaptation to tell a cohesive and well executed story. Conversely, I think it's perfectly within bounds to criticize an adaptation, even if it perfectly mirrors the source.

Like I said earlier, no original work is perfect. No original work can't be improved upon.
Old 2008-11-08, 01:11   Link #59
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Isn't it implicit for the most part though?
I mean stuff like the first meeting with Shima and Misae, reason for hospitalization, how can he exist at all, etc. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it would've been nice to know.
Old 2008-11-08, 01:39   Link #60
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
And the "fans" deserve more regard than people who just want to see a well made anime with good execution and a cohesive and impactful story?
To avoid being bitched at? Yes. If the original work is terrible and can be improved upon heavily? Well, not exactly, but they're still going to get a lot of flak. And then everyone on the Internet has to hear about how much X show sucks and then my head starts to hurt.

Quote:
Look, I'm not big on this idea that "fans know best". It encourages works that appeal to a base, whose preferences are well established, and so little genuine creativity is necessary to tide them over. We saw a pretty dramatic example of this with the recent Kimikiss anime. The series got a hefty backlash from so called "fans" because of the general change in feel from the source material, but many who saw the anime all the way through considered it to be a good series, an interesting new take on an otherwise often stale genre. And one of my personal favourite recent films is a very loose adaptation of a book that's over eighty years old.
Not every adaptation that makes changes is bad, but many people will see it as bad simply because its been changed.

This is why I fully agree with animation studios making original works, and why I dislike the concept of adaptations in general.

Quote:
I've no problem with an adaptation having complete loyalty. I can see the merit in that in some cases. I just think that it's wrong to get up in arms about minor changes when it doesn't impact the overall ability of an adaptation to tell a cohesive and well executed story.
The problem here is that many adaptations make major changes to the source material, basically killing any chance for sequels. It really can't be a "cohesive and well executed story" without anything resembling an ending.

Quote:
Conversely, I think it's perfectly within bounds to criticize an adaptation, even if it perfectly mirrors the source.
As I have said, I disagree. I think what one should be criticizing is the source itself? You have problems with the material? Take the blame where it belongs.

Quote:
Like I said earlier, no original work is perfect. No original work can't be improved upon.
True, but that does not mean that animation studios should take it upon themselves to "improve" upon it. More often than not, they make it worse.
Closed Thread