AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-12, 03:24   Link #401
LIQUIDCELL

Yeah, ep. 6 with the Dutchman..... and Mugen's statement about "who would open up their --eerr *door* to you" heh

Wonder how many takes did the voice actors had ---for not cracking up--- they must had a blast!
LIQUIDCELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 04:07   Link #402
Spyderz

watched ep7 in chinese

for those who have already watched it

Spoiler:
Spyderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 11:19   Link #403
xavier8200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDCELL
Yeah, ep. 6 with the Dutchman..... and Mugen's statement about "who would open up their --eerr *door* to you" heh

Wonder how many takes did the voice actors had ---for not cracking up--- they must had a blast!

That was hilarious. But my question is. What is up with the homosexual themes in anime? Off the top of my head there's Two moments in Samurai Chamloo, Kyou Kara Maou, Airmaster, PMK (Okita and Hijikata) . Homosexuality really seems to be a hot topic in Anime, can anyone shed some light on this?
xavier8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 13:10   Link #404
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Mr. Watanabe is well-known for being unafraid to tackle issues of sexuality, so I wouldn't say that the gay characters in this series are part of some larger trend.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 09:23   Link #405
Kurapica

I'm from Holland, so this episode should be extra fun for me. I didn't like it very much though. The theme dind't really appeal to me and the episode was kind of a letdown for me after seeing the previous eps. Up until the food-contest i liked it, to me it went downhill from the introduction of the Dutch guy. At last, The homosexuality issue is far different from reality. In Holland it is quite excepted. Damn, this Dutch stuff sucks.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 13:50   Link #406
donna8157

Well, you have to remember that this was in the past and I don't think homosexuality was very widely accepted. (but then again I heard a lot of samurais engaged in homosexual practices)

Ep7 is great. The translation by ROFISH was actually good.

Spoiler:
donna8157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 15:22   Link #407
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes
Wait, is this series licensed yet in America?

If not, where can I get this series?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 17:42   Link #408
Shaheed79

After seeing 6 I was going to start a debate about "whats up with all the homo-erotic gestures in Champloo" but then I remembered Jupiter Jazz 1&2 with the hermaphrodite and SC hasn't crossed that line yet. I'd say Watanabe is his old usualy self when it comes to topics like these. I'm just surprised at how mellow Mugen, Jin and Fuu were with his outwardness of his "taboo" sexuality.
Shaheed79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 06:54   Link #409
Secca
nya`
*Artist

lol what a funky episode. >_<;;
Spoiler for ep 8 screenshots:

Lol what do you call the guy who can make the background sounds? a DJ? That was really cool. ^^;;
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 12:01   Link #410
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This episode has to be the funniest episode so far. It had everything
Spoiler:
Although I am waiting for Watanabe to do something shocking in the up coming episodes, I like how the series is progressing.

edit: Secca gave way the best part, in spoiler of course..
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 13:51   Link #411
f00l

yea the series is progressing nicely.... in my opinon its just like CB we are getting to know the main characters and see how there teamwork and friendship improves then later we get deep into the story
f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 17:31   Link #412
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

KICK ASS!!! That episode friggin' OWNED. From the beat boxin' lacky to everything. I could find not one thing wrong with this episode. Definatly one of the better, oh and is it just me or has the ED undergone a remix?
Youko Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 18:24   Link #413
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
This episode has to be the funniest episode so far. It had everything
Spoiler:
Lol is that what they called, a lip-DJ ? That guy is really cool. ^^
Spoiler for ep 8:

Yeah the ED is a remix i think since episode 7.

I remember ep 7 was so sad at the end and the ed song just fit right in.

That song starting to grow on me. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-17, 03:49   Link #414
swerv
Stay Up

Can anyone confirm or not whether the voice actor for the Dutchman in ep6 is the same guy who does Jiraiya in Naruto?

They sure sound similar so I was just wondering.
Old 2004-07-18, 12:24   Link #415
ilal2ielli
Zoom-zoom.

Send a message via AIM to ilal2ielli
yes, it was confirmed in this thread a few pages back.
ilal2ielli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 17:56   Link #416
HoboGod
Necromancer

Well, regarding episode 6, a friend and I watched it a few days back and got into a debate. This series is already liciensed in america and is EXTREMELY likely to be shown on american television. So my question is, will that "japan is homosexual" speech be changed on american tv? the topic of homosexuality is quite taboo in this country due to the overwhelming majority of christians. and if the message isn't changed, how will the christian anime fans react to it?

EDIT: oh, and if anyone cares, me and my friend are both hoping it isn't changed for american television and that christians get really pissed off so that we may laugh at their bitching. ^_^
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 18:52   Link #417
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

lol, episode 8 is hilarious all the way. I love that part when that guy
Spoiler:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 22:37   Link #418
LinChoiSin

i really think that ep 6 was the worst episode since the beginning, it wasn't very bad though but quite strange and not really interesting but all episodes can't be great after all!
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 20:37   Link #419
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
Well, regarding episode 6, a friend and I watched it a few days back and got into a debate. This series is already liciensed in america and is EXTREMELY likely to be shown on american television. So my question is, will that "japan is homosexual" speech be changed on american tv? the topic of homosexuality is quite taboo in this country due to the overwhelming majority of christians. and if the message isn't changed, how will the christian anime fans react to it?

EDIT: oh, and if anyone cares, me and my friend are both hoping it isn't changed for american television and that christians get really pissed off so that we may laugh at their bitching. ^_^
American isn't populated ENTIRELY by radical right-wing Christians. They may tone it down a little for TV--but considering that Gren's secret wasn't censored, I see no reason for CN to perform major edits on Champloo.

(Gren is the hermaphrodite who shows up toward the end of Cowboy Bebop, btw).

And I wouldn't say that homosexuality is "quite taboo" over here--the fact that Republican Congressmen couldn't even get a majority to vote for the anti-gay marriage amendment should be proof enough.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 09:50   Link #420
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
American isn't populated ENTIRELY by radical right-wing Christians.
yea, but it sure as hell feels like it sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
And I wouldn't say that homosexuality is "quite taboo" over here--the fact that Republican Congressmen couldn't even get a majority to vote for the anti-gay marriage amendment should be proof enough.
ah, perhaps i misphrased that. homosexuality is not taboo, but TALKING about homosexuality is. even the military has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy for homosexuals and most network television channels are very careful not to get too suggestive in their homosexual related programs. and most non-HBO shows that do depict homosexuals are comedy, never romantic drama.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical