Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-06, 17:36   Link #1
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
animes with shinigami

I'm really interested in watching anime with shinigami. I've watched yami no matsuei, full moon wo sagashite and risky safety... please suggest some others one for me if possible it is better that it is unlicensed and available to download on animesuki
Old 2004-08-06, 21:45   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Unfortunately, there are not many series which fit the bill.

Vampire Princess Miyu OAV and Vampire Princess Miyu TV are two older licensed series - the OAV is older than the TV show but I thought it was more carefully made and liked it better.

I am pretty sure Gakkou no Kaidan would also suit your interests. That unlicensed series may or may not have been restarted after a long hiatus and/or change in fansubbing teams but at least there are 8 episodes to look over.

Another series which I quite enjoyed was Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatori, which has been licensed and will come out as Requiem from the Darkness or some such.

I am sure there are a couple more but I can't think of any right now.
Old 2004-08-06, 22:20   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatori/Hundred Stories/Requiem from Darkness is definitely great, and it deals with very macabre themes

Boogiepop Phantom is another great series with a... girl shinigami I guess...

there's the Suika OVA which deals with a shinigami.

come to think about it, I'm not very sure what you really want though... do you want shinigami as in they are just called shinigami? or they act as shinigami? or they look like shinigami? because in Full Moon wo Sagashite those shinigami surely don't look nor act like shinigami...
Old 2004-08-06, 22:45   Link #4
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
When the Bleach anime comes out, that has shinigami
Old 2004-08-06, 23:22   Link #5
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
just anything with shinigami... i find them very interesting.
Old 2004-08-07, 15:49   Link #6
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenichan
When the Bleach anime comes out, that has shinigami
Totally (actually the whole darn thing is about Shinigami). I love the manga, but I have doubts about the show. We'll see. (I'll never forgive them if they butcher Inoue or Kon... T.T)
Old 2004-08-07, 17:13   Link #7
7thMethuselah

OK, this may sound stupid but... What are Shinigami?
Old 2004-08-07, 17:58   Link #8
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
OK, this may sound stupid but... What are Shinigami?
Techincally, they're gods of death. They're supernatural beings who conduct the transfer and movement of spirits, ghosts, etc. I personally love the Bleach take on shinigami (since the focus of Bleach is about being a Shinigami) since it incorporates classic myths and badass modern themes together (I always think Rage Against the Machine whenever I read it ). Hope that answers your question without my ranting too far.

Actually, Cindialai, if you like the Shinigamis that much, try out the manga. This is the best I've seen them in, and strongly recommend it.
Spoiler for some pics:

Last edited by Ambience Blue; 2004-08-07 at 18:17.
Old 2004-08-07, 18:32   Link #9
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Bleach uses Shinigami the best.
Old 2004-08-08, 03:15   Link #10
HoboGod
Necromancer

There is also a relatively new manga out about shinigami called Death Note. A human finds a notebook owned by a shinigami. If he writes a name in the book and thinks of that person's face by that name, the person will die. The shinigami follows this human with the death note around until the human dies. From there is gets really interesting. The boy with the Death Note uses his note to kill criminals, so a mysterious detective by the alias of L is asked to find the culpret. From there it becomes a battle of outsmarting eachother so that they do not give away their identities and at the same time, try to find out each other's identities.

But unfortunatly for people who don't read manga, there is no anime of it yet.
Old 2004-08-09, 02:29   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Astonishingly, noone in this thread has recommended Descendants of Darkness! That show is about Shinigami taking care of wayward souls.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-08-09, 02:50   Link #12
arias

Actually, Studio Ghibli's Princess Mononoke has a "shinigami". However, it's licensed. I would suggest that if you were the type of person who has deep interest in literature and "deep" anime, this might work for you.

The concept of Mononoke is probably something a little familiar with the "saving the day" sort of theme, but its execution is brilliant. When I first watched it, I had really no idea how a studio could put out such an anime (I was a "newbie" then); its really not the typical movie.

MM. I'm going off topic. Catch that, anyways.
Closed Thread