Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-13, 05:44   Link #41
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

And thus, my point is reinforced.

Thank you.
Old 2004-06-13, 07:29   Link #42
Mcdonalds

To be fair Radd, that could be said for all things that have been great? The word overrated can be applied to everything popular. However, whether something is actually overrated cannot be measured, because as long as it has viewers, something can be called overrated. Just because it has more viewers doesn't mean its more overrated, and just because lets say 1 or 2 great anime reviewers or film reviewers for films say one thing is an excellent masterpiece, then that is because they haven't measured the film against their own criteria. There is a general consensus as to whether something is overrated or not though. I'm sure many people will agree that something like Gladiator the film is not overrated (or maybe a tadd depending how you thought of the film) and was a great film. Likewise i'm sure most of us would agree that Titanic was overrated by ALOT.

What people have been trying to do within the forum is to try and convince you why FMA is good, and the last post that i read previous to Radd's explained why FMA is a masterpiece. (but that might be because i think its pretty decent).

Also, its not as if there has even been many people saying they think FMA is godly in this thread, so i don't know why you're saying that loads of people think its the greatest of the year when only a few have come out with that.

Another thing, the difference with the is naruto overrated thread, as far as i'm aware (correct me if i'm wrong) is that a lot of the naruto viewers are first time anime viewers and don't diversify themselves or even view different anime and so have only ever watched naruto, thinking it of the best wherea's the FMA viewers are more varied
Old 2004-06-13, 16:04   Link #43
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdonalds
To be fair Radd, that could be said for all things that have been great?
No, you even address why in your own post. There's plenty of terrible things that have been hoisted to the very height of popularity, and there has also been many a great thing that remained obscure or overlooked.

Quote:
The word overrated can be applied to everything popular. However, whether something is actually overrated cannot be measured, because as long as it has viewers, something can be called overrated. Just because it has more viewers doesn't mean its more overrated, and just because lets say 1 or 2 great anime reviewers or film reviewers for films say one thing is an excellent masterpiece, then that is because they haven't measured the film against their own criteria. There is a general consensus as to whether something is overrated or not though.
I've explained my thoughts as to what makes something 'overrated'. That tends to be a lot of overzealous fans or the media going on and on about how such and such is the Greatest EVAR! Putting it on a level far above what it warrants on it's own merits' and far above many other shows that could be seen as being a lot better than the overrated show in question.

Quote:
What people have been trying to do within the forum is to try and convince you why FMA is good, and the last post that i read previous to Radd's explained why FMA is a masterpiece. (but that might be because i think its pretty decent).

Also, its not as if there has even been many people saying they think FMA is godly in this thread, so i don't know why you're saying that loads of people think its the greatest of the year when only a few have come out with that.
I suggest rereading my posts again. I think you misunderstood. I have not said that FMA is overrated, or that tons of people are saying that the show is the end-all, be-all of anime. Not once. In fact, I've stated just the opposite. I said that if people started doing that THEN the show would become overrated.

Also, it is possible for something to be overrated by small groups of people and not the community as a whole. In the circles I run in, I've barely heard anything about Full Metal Alchemist. We watches a couple episodes, thought it was alright, and figured we'd grab more if we ever got the time to get around to it.

Another person might be unfortunate enough to be surrounded by people like those who come into thise thread, telling everyone who commented that FMA was less than absolutely perfect that they are wrong, saying they don't understand who FMA could possibly be overrated because it really is the best ever. Such a person would definitely think the show was overrated.

Quote:
Another thing, the difference with the is naruto overrated thread, as far as i'm aware (correct me if i'm wrong) is that a lot of the naruto viewers are first time anime viewers and don't diversify themselves or even view different anime and so have only ever watched naruto, thinking it of the best wherea's the FMA viewers are more varied
I have no clue where you get your numbers. Outside of my own circles of friends, this board is all I have to go by to judge any comments like this, and on this board I would argue that most people don't have very large horizons as far as anime goes. Look at any thread devoted to "what's your favourite anime?" and you'll see that about half, maybe more, of the people posting will list at least 3 anime that are new within the past 2 years and out of those they will always be something popular (in the west, not neccessarily in Japan) and easily acquired like Last Exile or Naruto. About 90 percent of the people posting will have their entire top 5 taken up with anime no older than Evangelion, and again, it's the popular, easily acquired stuff. Then there's a small number of exceptions, people who like current stuff, but also like stuff that isn't that popular, and who like older stuff as well, fewer still holding it all to the same standards.

If you got all the FMA fans to list your top 5, I'm sure you'd see a similar distribution of tastes.
Old 2004-06-13, 16:37   Link #44
yume.toki

hm....I have to agree that Naruto is overrated...but it is indeed a very good anime/manga. And just because some people just happen to think a newer anime is one of their top favorites...that doesn't mean that they've only been exposed to a limited amount/variety of anime!

Take me, for example, I only liked to watch shoujo and love-love story plots in the past...the ones with happy endings ...you get the point....but now I've grown to like animes like Noir, Peace Maker Kurogane...etc...BUT...this still doesn't mean that I'm not inclined to watch the shoujo stuff!

And there are other animes like One Piece, that are very very very popular, but not exactly overrated...cuz I think that if you'd only give it a chance then it'll easily be an anime that you'd like.

In my opinion...overrated would be a label placed upon those anime that really don't have much to offer (plot/character development -wise) but that are really really popular....hm....like....Pokemon!.....or .....Shaman King.....
Old 2004-06-13, 17:08   Link #45
Mcdonalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by radd
Ok, now that I'm starting to see more and more people posting in this thread about how great and wonderful FMA is, how it's the best of the year and all that, I'm starting to think that FMA is starting to become overrated
Ok but no one in the thread has stated that it is the best anime EVER and only one or two have said its the best this year. That is very debatable because it is a very good anime once it starts going and as 7thmethuselah points out, it's content is quite original. From the poster before, he did explain why FMA was great, but maybe when he started saying everyone didn't get the deep underlying messages, it is possibly true (if thats what the anime had intended except that nobody knows), then your statement

Quote:
And thus, my point is reinforced.
i can see where you're coming from, for that i'm sorry for misunderstanding your definition of overrated.

Quote:
I have no clue where you get your numbers. Outside of my own circles of friends, this board is all I have to go by to judge any comments like this, and on this board I would argue that most people don't have very large horizons as far as anime goes. Look at any thread devoted to "what's your favourite anime?" and you'll see that about half, maybe more, of the people posting will list at least 3 anime that are new within the past 2 years and out of those they will always be something popular (in the west, not neccessarily in Japan) and easily acquired like Last Exile or Naruto. About 90 percent of the people posting will have their entire top 5 taken up with anime no older than Evangelion, and again, it's the popular, easily acquired stuff. Then there's a small number of exceptions, people who like current stuff, but also like stuff that isn't that popular, and who like older stuff as well, fewer still holding it all to the same standards.

If you got all the FMA fans to list your top 5, I'm sure you'd see a similar distribution of tastes.
Ah this statement is soo true, reflecting upon myself. I used to watch a lot of anime when i was younger, but i probably didn't really understand or get the true meaning of the stories and now having watched a lot of anime over the past year, i can see where you're coming from when you say that people who probably watch anime are probably new (within 2 years). I never really realised that i was being so ignorant of older anime because i can't acquire it (especially being in the UK). Thats why i went onto the naruto argument, but i can see it extends over to all anime thats been past 2 years. Point taken, i don't really know so i can't really judge. I do however recommend you to watch it if you do get some time though.
Old 2004-06-13, 17:11   Link #46
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yume.toki
hm....I have to agree that Naruto is overrated...but it is indeed a very good anime/manga. And just because some people just happen to think a newer anime is one of their top favorites...that doesn't mean that they've only been exposed to a limited amount/variety of anime!

Take me, for example, I only liked to watch shoujo and love-love story plots in the past...the ones with happy endings ...you get the point....but now I've grown to like animes like Noir, Peace Maker Kurogane...etc...BUT...this still doesn't mean that I'm not inclined to watch the shoujo stuff!

And there are other animes like One Piece, that are very very very popular, but not exactly overrated...cuz I think that if you'd only give it a chance then it'll easily be an anime that you'd like.

In my opinion...overrated would be a label placed upon those anime that really don't have much to offer (plot/character development -wise) but that are really really popular....hm....like....Pokemon!.....or .....Shaman King.....
You contradict yourself in your own post. You also presume that only bad anime can be overrated. I've stated time and again that is not the case.
Old 2004-06-13, 17:22   Link #47
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdonalds
Point taken, i don't really know so i can't really judge. I do however recommend you to watch it if you do get some time though.
I do like the show, I'm not trying to give the impression otherwise. I do believe it's good. I also still don't think it's overrated yet, but it could become overrated with time.

The point of my last couple posts has been that if more and more people start overrating it, the show will become overrated. Also, I had pointed out that most of the people who overrate shows don't even understand what 'overrated' means, which is what I meant when I stated that my point had been reinforced.
Old 2004-06-13, 21:27   Link #48
Xerone

I don't think its that bad, but the story's boring in some part though and I dun like that part. I like fighting parts the most!!
Old 2004-06-22, 04:03   Link #49
Scy

I loved FMA. However, to me there are signs that this series has already jump the shark. The pass few eps has been VERY poor and I am starting to lose my interest in this series.
I think that the main problem is that 1) the series has more or less completely diverged away from the manga; and 2) the plot is getting too bloated forits own good. There are too many characters in the show and the plot is starting to get over-complicated because of that.
Old 2004-06-22, 04:19   Link #50
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scy
I think that the main problem is that 1) the series has more or less completely diverged away from the manga; and 2) the plot is getting too bloated forits own good. There are too many characters in the show and the plot is starting to get over-complicated because of that.
I won't disagree with your first point, as that often can lead to a lackluster anime series, and has resulted in more than one license getting pulled from the animation company.

However, with number 2, I think you are pointing the finger in the wrong direction. I have not seen that far into FMA, but I am a fan of plenty of shows which feature large casts, and complicated plot lines. That is not a failing in and of itself, in fact it can be a strength.

How the plot and characters are handled is another matter entirely. If you're handling the plot and characters poorly, it does not matter how complicated the plot is, or how many characters you have, it will still be a poor product.
Old 2004-06-22, 16:18   Link #51
Daisakura
Studio Gangsta

I don't believe this show is even in the slightest overrated. For one, I'm the type of person who just naturally dislikes everything that is "overly" popular(don't ask why!! I just do!). This show was shown to me by a friend who had to bribe me to watch it(5 bucks). I was actually kinda taken by the way the show presented itself... even tho I'm still a bit lost about ed's staff that he used once... But I voted good because its now a show I look forward to seeing... although there are better shows I look forward to more.
Old 2004-06-23, 12:45   Link #52
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Fullmetal Alchemist is a great show. It's far better than "Good" and quite below "Best".

Different people may have different opinions so I'll just tell you guys what elements attracts me to FMA.

1) It's creativity, this is the first time i've seen a fantasy anime show utilize the chemistry and physics to this point. Alchemy in this show is a great idea and still has lots more potential.

2) It's characters. The relationship between Ed and Al is very interesting (yaoi....). Roy starts off harsh and cold blooded but you learn more about why he's like this which i think is also very interesting. Comedic characters like Armstrong plays his role well.

3) It's plot. The plot is very original. It becomes really dark at some point and then it neutralizes it by introducing some humor in the next episode.

I personally think it's humor and it's "childish" side is tolerable. If they took our the childish side of FMA they would loose a lot of character for Ed, he's suppose to be very innocent (at some areas) and is just on his adventure to learn about the cruel world...if he's already matured whats the whole point....Al's voice is girly because he's still young. If they increase the humor in the series it would certainly ruin the dark side of the story so i guess this is the only way for now.

And another thing. FMA anime and FMA manga are very different. I personally think the anime started to go downhill ever since episode 25 (it's still good but not as good as before) where as the Manga is getting more and more interesting starting from Book 6.
Old 2004-09-16, 22:45   Link #53
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
after seeing episode 36, FMA RULES!!!
Old 2004-09-17, 00:37   Link #54
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

No it isn't the best show ever but it's above average. It has the type of popularity that isn't that of DBZ, Naruto, or Yu Yu Hakusho in their prime, but above that of the average show. Therefore making it not overated. Hell, there aren't even it's biggest fanboys jumping from forums proclaiming it the best thing ever. It has the popularity that is best suitable for a show.
Old 2004-09-17, 19:38   Link #55
YaGaMi
The Conqueror

I voted "Its Good". Since Episodes in the late 20s the show has got me watching episode after episode. FMA and Naruto got very popular but I'm suprised Hunter X Hunter never got to that level of popularity, even though most people that I know who have seen it loved it.
Old 2004-09-18, 00:03   Link #56
Grona
Big Damit!

If you live by Naruto and DBZ stay away, it isnt your thing. If your looking for a pretty interesting show with a longer than normal run, its pretty good.
Old 2004-09-19, 13:41   Link #57
CaiSter21

to me, it was on the same bases as Naruto and just like Naruto, a lot of ppl really like it
so i do not think that it is overrated
Old 2004-09-19, 14:56   Link #58
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
If you live by Naruto and DBZ stay away, it isnt your thing. If your looking for a pretty interesting show with a longer than normal run, its pretty good.
It's closer to DBZ and Naruto than most FMA fans make it seem.
Old 2004-09-19, 15:17   Link #59
nerv111
Philosopher

Send a message via MSN to nerv111
The show is good, certainly, but it’s far from perfect. The manga IMO is considerably better than the anime; the weakness of the anime shows itself particularly in the last few episodes, since episode 47 it seems to be going downhill.
Old 2004-09-19, 15:37   Link #60
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermonk
It's closer to DBZ and Naruto than most FMA fans make it seem.
your the first i heard say that, can you explain.
Closed Thread