AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-11, 10:54   Link #61
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
@indr0008: I was told by a fanboy that it was philosophically enlightening, but I felt it was gimmicky and stupid. The episode scrambling, the half baked forshadowing, the evil mundane episode, episode 1 that is episode zero that is ACTUALLY an episode slotted in the middle made to look like a crappy highschool homemade video in anime form thing.....THAT GIRL HAS A CULT/RELIGION NAMED AFTER HER.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGG

The horrors of past traumas *wibbles in a corner*

Character...development? Honestly I felt I learned...absolutely nothing about Mikhail from that episode which was why i was so bothered.

@BetoJR: You have, what, two episodes after today. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me you'd rather be told in that MINUTE spectrum of time that you'd rather find out about Alto hime's Kabuki past and emasculated traumas OVER Sheryl's childhood in Galaxy, her illness + Mao Nome and co. Along with Ranka's Vajira's connection? If you ahd to choose two characters out of three to find out about during this time, would Alto seriously be on your list o_O
philosophically.......... enlightening?? sorry, to me it was just a show that tried to realize every lolicon's dream "that God is a loli named Haruhi".................

enlightening????????????????????????????????
all haruhi's fanboys can flame me for all i care

back to mikhail,,if u can not take that part as chara dev, then at least try to accept that episode as an attempt to raise sympathy for him neeeded in later ep
Old 2008-09-11, 11:01   Link #62
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Yes Enlightening. I lost a friend that day because I thought Haruhi wasn't enlightening.
That friend also happened to be a self diagnosed schizophrenic.

XDDDDD
I actually thought Mikhail only gained sympathy because of KlanKlan and their matchmaking which made Sheryl fans very pro Mikhail XD
That and because Mikhail was the only one worth cheering for seeing as Alto was so lackluster >A>;;;

His past life didn't play as a foreshadowing to his fate, nor did it really seem to have much impact on his character or method of dealing with life. All it did was...give us an episode where it just hindered him and never came back again :'D Ultimately it was a completely pointless episode to allow Alto some Vajira wrestling acts :'D
Old 2008-09-11, 11:03   Link #63
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
@BetoJR: You have, what, two episodes after today. Are you SERIOUSLY telling me you'd rather be told in that MINUTE spectrum of time that you'd rather find out about Alto hime's Kabuki past and emasculated traumas OVER Sheryl's childhood in Galaxy, her illness + Mao Nome and co. Along with Ranka's Vajira's connection? If you ahd to choose two characters out of three to find out about during this time, would Alto seriously be on your list o_O
Actually, yes. I don't really care much about learning all that much about Ranka's past (unless it does have a better and enjoyable connection to the people from Zero) other than what's necessary for the conclusion of the Vajra arc, and Sheryl's background was sufficiently explained, to me.
I mean, what more could we see from her past? How she was infected? Moot. Would it really change anything, other than to find a cure (if it's even possible, at this point)? Her connection to Mao? I don't really think there is one (maybe I'm wrong, tho). Anyway, I think there's time for all this, yet, and learn more about Alto's background (as I gather today's episode will dwell at least a little bit). I do have faith.

Maybe I'm just too gullible...

Old 2008-09-11, 11:07   Link #64
magnuskn

Quote:
Well, strangely enough for you, Alto is third on the popularity list here. I guess more people like him than youŽd think.
Old 2008-09-11, 11:13   Link #65
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

I'm not saying that he won't, nor am I saying he shouldn't. I was only saying if you were given a short period of time and had to limit the things you want to know about the characters, Alto's Kabuki lifestyle really isn't the first on the list.

The fact you said "unless" over and over and created options to the storyline arc does show that there are possibilities of the other two characters that you'd favor over Alto's storyline:
The possibility of crossing over to the Zero arc, possible (not definite but possibility is still something) connection between Mao and Sheryl (which by the way isn't completely ruled out yet)

And really, no there has been nothing done yet that provides enough info about the conclusion of the Vajira arc. This is so, because we'd all be swearing profanities if MF suddenly stopped and told us all the Vajira is good, we sing our way to the ends of the galaxy THE END.
We still have no proper understanding of what the Vajira are nor why Ranka is constantly labelled as a queen with glowing cramps, and frankly IS there a cure for Sheryl, wouldn't you still want to find that out over why Alto gave up dresses?

I'm not saying there is NO interest, just not ENOUGH seeing as he's the story's main guy. His story really isn't much of a priority.
Old 2008-09-11, 11:15   Link #66
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, strangely enough for you, Alto is third on the popularity list here. I guess more people like him than youŽd think.
Uhg.
For christ's sake, I AM NOT SAYING HE'S HATE-ABLE, OR UNLIKEABLE, JUST THAT HE'S A LACK LUSTER MAIN PROTAGONIST.

Popularity has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I'm saying.
Old 2008-09-11, 11:20   Link #67
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Wink

Well, if I could name a lot of other lackluster protagonists in anime, would that make our Hime stand out a bit more in your eyes?

I mean, there are LOTS of them, out there.

Old 2008-09-11, 11:31   Link #68
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

It doesn't work that way; You can't make someone better just because other people are crap;
Old 2008-09-11, 11:39   Link #69
Elandyll

A lot of people seem to be misreading Alto and his personality (or so it seems to me)...

Alto is a 17 year old who has a dream (flying), and who has always been in a situation where other people try to enforce their goals on him.

His familly, his colleagues, two girls fall in love with him without him asking anything, etc.

It's just the case of someone who was single minded, wanted to be left alone, but "Life" is getting in his way ("Life is what happens while we make plans for it").

He is starting to accept that it is not necessarily a bad thing, and that their is joy (and sorrow) to be found in human interactions, and that to achieve your dreams, there will be some tough choices to be made.

I find his character very compelling.
Old 2008-09-11, 11:41   Link #70
v1nx

Send a message via ICQ to v1nx
Spoiler for Alto and Leon:

Spoiler for Ranka's past:
Old 2008-09-11, 11:45   Link #71
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Only if you simplify him.

He is also a boy who quickly moved into the war zone to protect people he wasn't particularly close to (His relationship with the people around him are rather....mmm...actually I think that's a major problem I have with this series, they're ALL very distant. It doesn't feel very natural to believe some of them are close friends.) and when other people enforce their goals upon him, he wavers very easily.

His wish to fly under an endless blue sky is VERY vague, to call it his dream seems rather...absent minded of of him.

I think he CAN be compelling and was meant to be...but find the execution of it rather flawed :/ Much like how Ranka is supposedly adorable and naively caring only to come across as exceptionally selfish. Sheryl? Her character development is steady and good but her place in the show seems to have no purpose...yet. Her role in the plot was a lot less than I expected from the original Triangular OP.
Old 2008-09-11, 11:46   Link #72
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
It doesn't work that way; You can't make someone better just because other people are crap;
Happens all the time.
And, for me, I still consider his character compelling enough to make me want to see more of him and his interactions with others.

@Elandyll: Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nx View Post
Spoiler for Alto and Leon:

Spoiler for Ranka's past:
You're actually watching it right now? I feel so envious...

Old 2008-09-11, 11:51   Link #73
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
A lot of people seem to be misreading Alto and his personality (or so it seems to me)...

Alto is a 17 year old who has a dream (flying).
he wants to fly under a "real sky", because that was one of the things he remembers of his mother.
Old 2008-09-11, 11:54   Link #74
v1nx

Send a message via ICQ to v1nx
@BetoJR
yes, but quality.....XD (using KeyHoleTV)

Sheryl now is also likes to launch planes), but they are different from Alto's
Old 2008-09-11, 11:54   Link #75
Haninozuka

Spoiler for Screencaps of dinner:
Old 2008-09-11, 11:55   Link #76
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
he wants to fly under a "real sky", because that was one of the things he remembers of his mother.
Also, what's so vague, about this desire? He seems to feel trapped inside the artificial atmosphere of the ship he's lived for his entire life, even not having experienced a real atmosphere before.

It's something actually quite understandable, to me - even more so, because it was his mother's desire, as well.

GOD, I WANNA SEE THIS EPISODE!!!!!!!!!

Old 2008-09-11, 11:56   Link #77
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

WTF with the horrible quality?
Old 2008-09-11, 11:59   Link #78
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Can anyone pls translate the dialogue btw Alto and Kuran?

Spoiler:

pls tell me that i have heard wrongly...
Old 2008-09-11, 11:59   Link #79
AlaAlba

I have a really bad baad feeling that I wont see Sheryl Alto ending...
Old 2008-09-11, 12:00   Link #80
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja-Y-Ce View Post
Can anyone pls translate the dialogue btw Alto and Kuran?

Spoiler:

pls tell me that i have heard wrongly...

Yes, that's exactly what was said.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Closed Thread