AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-02-17, 22:34   Link #341
zettaishoku

hi, a side (or maybe off topic) question about 1 of the converting method mentioned on the 1st thread of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
WMV in .wmv
This may be slightly tricky. Either you use ffmpegsource() to encode to a lossless AVI (since WMV reading isn't 100% guaranteed to be frame accurate) and encode workraw/other stuff from that, or you use GDSMux to transmux to a MKV, which you then handle with mkv2vfr (see above).
Brief GDSMux primer:
1) rightclick the input area and hit "add source", find your .wmv and hit OK
2) rightclick the audio stream, choose "encode" and pick "PCM"
3) click the output button and select where to save the mkv
4) hit start
5) wait.
This will give you a VFR MKV with uncompressed PCM (WAV) audio.
i accidently found a raw wmv container video inside my comp that has:
wmv3 video - vfr
wma2/divx audio - vbr

problem is, the video worked fine through gsdmux. but when i tried to encode the audio stream to pcm i get a reply of "unable to bring out the encoder to the graph: invalid media type specified".... and that pick is the only exception that does that error.

am i missing a piece of encoder or something . i have the latest build of ffdshow @ 14feb09 + latest matroska splitter 1.9.42.1
edit: the vid plays fine by itself, audio + video. just the problem with gdsmux not recognising the audio codec

Last edited by zettaishoku; 2009-02-17 at 23:07.
zettaishoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 06:41   Link #342
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Find a decoder for it then. If you can load it into avs you can dump it to PCM in vdub or whatever. You could also try using Windows Media Encoder from M$, it has a thing to dumb audio streams, although it will still be in the WMA container iirc. Open with audacity to dump to PCM then.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:46   Link #343
zettaishoku

it worked. thanks Emess!

sorry for the late reply
zettaishoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 14:09   Link #344
Deddo
typesetting ftw!
*Fansubber

Are there any groups releasing vfr episodes? I'd like to check the quality and decide if it is really necessary.
Deddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 14:31   Link #345
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deddo View Post
Are there any groups releasing vfr episodes? I'd like to check the quality and decide if it is really necessary.
Check out a Rosario to Vampire Capu2 release. These are 23.976 fps episode, 29.970 fps ED.
Old 2009-03-28, 21:37   Link #346
Deddo
typesetting ftw!
*Fansubber

That's too straight.
I thought, in vfr videos, fps changes every few seconds/minutes.
Old 2009-03-29, 07:35   Link #347
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Very few groups will use VFR that alternates every few frames like that, because the episodes are animated at 23.976fps, and it's generally a good idea to encode at what the animated framerate is. The OP/ED is often 23.976 with 29.970fps credits overlayed on it, so some groups (see Kristen's comment above) CBF messing with it and leave the background at a telecined 29.970 rate that keeps it kind of jerky but makes the credits appear smoother/cleaner. It's up to the encoder really, either how clever/lazy they are, or how retarded, depending on what's going on.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 07:45   Link #348
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

if you want something that switches all the time, try white album
(eclipse's releases at least are vfr except the 2-3 first episodes, dunno about anyone else)

the first episode of gg's goku sayonara zetsubou sensei also switches to 30fps for random pans in random places but is otherwise 24fps
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2009-03-29 at 07:57.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 07:46   Link #349
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deddo View Post
It can be relevant, yes. You can compare Eclipse releases of White Album episodes 2+. The MKV is true VFR, the AVI is CFR.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 09:39   Link #350
Deddo
typesetting ftw!
*Fansubber

Thank you all of you, i have all of Eclipse's White Album releases. 1st episode has a 30fps opening, others have 24. Is this Eclipse's choice or was the show like this?
Old 2009-03-29, 11:07   Link #351
Mentar
Banned

For episode 1, I only had a 29.970 raw to work with, therefore the release was 29,97fps too.

For eps 2+ I had the appropriate transport streams available (with one single exception, but there the raw was vfr too), so these are VFR. Besides, unlike most other shows, White Album is jumping around with framerates wildly _within_ the episodes too. Which is why I sometimes have 29.970 CFR AVIs and sometimes 23.976 CFR AVIs (depending on what's prevalent)

Really annoying stuff.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 11:11   Link #352
encoderlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_tjerk View Post
Megui doesn't care..

The following avisynth scripts only do the video part (you obviously know how to demux and reuse audio.. or to load the audio in megui and reencode).
Code:
DSS2("anikuri15.mkv", fps=23.976) 
Spline36Resize(704,400) #or whatever resizer you like
Code:
FFVideoSource("anikuri15.mkv",timecodes="anikuri15_timecodes.txt") 
Spline36Resize(704,400) #or whatever resizer you like
The latter one keeps the vfr, and you need to mux in the timecodes that FFVideoSource generates to the timecodes parameter (in this case "anikuri15_timecodes.txt") with mkvmerge. The former one converts the video to a CFR of 23.976. You don't need to do anything with timecodes then, but you can get weird motion if there were any 30fps scenes.
i just wanted to thank you, you and thefluff solved all of my vfr woes
encoderlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 13:04   Link #353
Aya-tan

Red face

i failed many times while encoding a TS to VFR mkv/mp4
most of the time the subs or out of sync and audio too...
Aya-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 18:21   Link #354
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

VFR from a TS or DVD source is a bit annoying. You need to either mark the 30fps sections manually using something like YATTA (or, god forbid, a handmade .avs), or use tdecimate's automatic 2-pass VFR mode.

One of these days I'll get around to updating the OP, it's only three years out of date or so...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 20:20   Link #355
Aya-tan

Question

Quote:
VFR from a TS or DVD source is a bit annoying. You need to either mark the 30fps sections manually using something like YATTA (or, god forbid, a handmade .avs), or use tdecimate's automatic 2-pass VFR mode.

One of these days I'll get around to updating the OP, it's only three years out of date or so...
I'm doing this
Code:
TDecimate(mode=4, hybrid=2,output="sometext.txt") #In First Pass
TDecimate(mode=5, hybrid=2,input="sometext.txt",mkvout="sometextv2.txt") #In Second Pass
to cut audio i'm using ur perl script...(don't know how to use YATTA )
still have no idea about VFR
Ah even adding AFX Logo to VFR encodes is bit annoying

Last edited by Aya-tan; 2009-08-08 at 02:51.
Aya-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 23:54   Link #356
K!R4
Freelance

that would be great idea TheFluff if you update the first page about vfr from a ts or dvd source for others to know how to properly vfr and not relying too much with automated 2pass vfr by tdecimate. i havent done any vfr on yatta because theres not much guide about it. only ivtc, but im glad ive known this program cos im able to ivtci properly my own dvdrips. i hope ill know how to setup vfr with yatta in the future.

but anyway, i think i still have this link http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=64314, a thread made by gizmotech of anime-legion. Its kinda old thread but its relevant to vfr you guys talking about (vfr on dvds). he made a guide how to identify and mark 24/30fps on dvd and encoding them vfr sucessfully. thats the one im using when encoding vfr with slightly different setup. idk whats its up and down since i havent done much vfr encoding and didnt bother if my vfr were fully right since no problems so far on those old vfr encodes of mine.

Last edited by K!R4; 2009-08-14 at 02:00.
K!R4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 21:19   Link #357
Yumi`
Frame burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K!R4 View Post
i havent done any vfr on yatta because theres not much guide about it. only ivtc, but im glad ive known this program cos im able to ivtci properly my own dvdrips. i hope ill know how to setup vfr with yatta in the future.
Simply mark 29.97fps sections as 'NoDecimate', so they wont get decimated and - guess what - remain 29.97fps. Yatta saves the timecodes file along with the override files.
Yumi` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 21:15   Link #358
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by K!R4 View Post
that would be great idea TheFluff if you update the first page about vfr from a ts or dvd source for others to know how to properly vfr and not relying too much with automated 2pass vfr by tdecimate. i havent done any vfr on yatta because theres not much guide about it. only ivtc, but im glad ive known this program cos im able to ivtci properly my own dvdrips. i hope ill know how to setup vfr with yatta in the future.

but anyway, i think i still have this link http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=64314, a thread made by gizmotech of anime-legion. Its kinda old thread but its relevant to vfr you guys talking about (vfr on dvds). he made a guide how to identify and mark 24/30fps on dvd and encoding them vfr sucessfully. thats the one im using when encoding vfr with slightly different setup. idk whats its up and down since i havent done much vfr encoding and didnt bother if my vfr were fully right since no problems so far on those old vfr encodes of mine.
The "o" key is your friend. Just remember when you mark it to do it in cycle 5 patterns with the decimation.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 08:15   Link #359
guest0815

Moved this post over from the thread "VFR encoding, x264, and you" since the issue became more generally vfr over time.

Hi, my file switches between 24 and 30fps all the time.

Spoiler for timecodes:

When I use x264 with --tcfile-in and then don't mux the timecodes again in mkvmerge, only coreavc and ffdshow (beta 7) with h264 decoder ffmpeg-mt (and decoder threads:2 on single cores) play the file correctly. Ffdshow with libavcodec has audio- and softsub sync issues.
Ffdshow with libavcodec does work without sync issues when I mux the timecodes to the video track in mkvmerge but such a file seems to always jerk a little during 30fps pans when played with coreavc and a little less often when played with either ffdshow decoders.
Then I noticed it's the same for a hardsubbed mp4 I made with tc2mp4Mod.exe (which takes raw .h264 or cfr mp4 and timecodes as input). Coreravc and ffmpeg-mt work, libavcodec has a/v sync issues.

Any ideas what's the deal here and how best to handle it?

edit again: Even further experimentation shows it's also connected to the 2p tivtc vfr mode. Files created from tdecimate mode 3 all do work without muxing timecodes regardless of decoder. I even encoded one with the old timecodes created from the 2p modes 4 and 5. The only difference I see is the framerate of the lossless produced by tdecimate. Mode 4+5 generated a file that reported 25.8124fps and the timebase generation in x264 was 1/1000000000 whereas the mode 3 generated file reported 30fps and the timebase was 1001/360000.

Last edited by guest0815; 2010-06-16 at 21:02.
guest0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 10:08   Link #360
max2k

When i see the 17.982018 fps segments, i would say don't use the Automation at all ...

So i have a Question to.:

I some how taught myself to use YATTA. Especially to cut, inverstelecine and bob transportstreams with it. One thing i still miss is how to locate scene changes and use patern guidance the right way wiht the "yatta_7-130-beta3" version that i have. The guide is some how to old. It is no big trouble for a normal .ts to do some patern and decitmaing change for the few cuts and to be carefull for the usual pattern changes at op, ed and eyecatcher. But i still have some vfr OADs lieing around that i would like to encode vfr. And this would be a hough workload without some help of the automation ...

Could some one point me in the direction of a guide or write a explanation?

Last edited by max2k; 2010-06-17 at 10:55.
max2k is offline   Reply With Quote