AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

View Poll Results: Little Busters ~Refrain~ - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 38 71.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 15.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 11.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-19, 12:01   Link #61
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Thank you, novalysis, for always coming up with such interesting analysis. I really love reading your insights.

Spoiler for more comparisons between Key works, very slight spoilers in all works:

Regarding LB, gosh novalysis why do you have to remind me, there were more times than once I would just say "Enough with the UST, just confess your love to Kyousuke already, Riki!"

Joking aside, I love how the series just went out of the way to make the relationships between these male childhood friends so innocently genuine and touching and believable that nobody would bat an eye when the males just scream out they love each other and want to stay together forever. I saw people posting the out of context screenshots and I don't know how to react . Some few scenes with ambigous contexts don't even help.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12

Last edited by BloodyKitty; 2013-12-19 at 12:19.
Old 2013-12-19, 12:17   Link #62
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Thank you, novalysis, for always coming up with such interesting analysis. I really love reading your insights.

Spoiler for more comparisons between Key works, very slight spoilers in all works:
The problem is that the Dream World is quite an exhausted vein. It can only get more Meta from here, I think. More accurately, Little Busters belongs in the line of key works that touches on Dying Dreams.

Spoiler for Response:
Old 2013-12-19, 21:22   Link #63
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So now everyone's comparing Key works? Lol, screw that.

Finally watched the episode. Nothing surprising and the crying got just a little excessive but otherwise it was another very good episode.
I don't think the crying was excessive at all. I mean here you have them parting ways and finally revealing everything. Go see Anohana last episode for excessive and over the top crying.

Spoiler for More Key discussion:
Old 2013-12-19, 22:01   Link #64
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Don't forget that these kids are literally dying.
Old 2013-12-20, 10:45   Link #65
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I don't think the crying was excessive at all. I mean here you have them parting ways and finally revealing everything. Go see Anohana last episode for excessive and over the top crying.
I say this purely from my own perspective. I make it no secret that I'm just not emotionally attached to any of these characters on a significant level besides maybe Riki. It'll obviously be different for others.
Old 2013-12-20, 10:48   Link #66
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post

Spoiler for More Key discussion:
He has a point there. After all, with all these episodes, one simply can't help but feel their pain. These people are well....dying. This is basically their dying dream, which is just about to end. Ano Hana's last ep.... is just. ugh.
Old 2013-12-20, 11:00   Link #67
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If you really want to put it into perspective, I was more emotionally involved in the endings to both Ano Hana and Angel Beats, despite all three endings being similarly problematic. That's not saying anything about Ano Hana and Angel Beats: Those endings were legitimately bad as well. I'm just explaining my perspective on Little Busters in comparison.
Old 2013-12-20, 11:10   Link #68
novalysis

Quote:
If you really want to put it into perspective, I was more emotionally involved in the endings to both Ano Hana and Angel Beats, despite all three endings being similarly problematic.
Again, I will stress that in my view Angel Beats was an attempt to refine the concept of Little Busters further.
Spoiler for To elaborate further with comparisons:
Old 2013-12-20, 11:39   Link #69
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I honestly felt the crying in this episode was handled just about perfectly. It was certainly timed perfectly.

I think that Kyousuke breaking down a bit was necessary to show that he hadn't become just some cool, aloof pragmatist. He played the guy who tried to keep it all together for Riki and Rin's sake, but deep down, he was hurting a lot too. I think it was important to show that to give it a human touch. I felt it hit the sweet spot for this kind of scene - Appropriately emotional, but also dignified.

Kengo was perhaps a touch over-emotional, but then Masato handled it all remarkably well, so you had a good range of emotional responses. I liked how not everybody was crying a lot, and that some were reacting more emotional than others.
Old 2013-12-20, 11:42   Link #70
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Kengo was perhaps a touch over-emotional, but then Masato handled it all remarkably well, so you had a good range of emotional responses. I liked how not everybody was crying a lot, and that some were reacting more emotional than others.
It's a very interesting inversion of how Kengo and Masato appear on the outside. Masato seems to wear his heart on his muscles, and with overwhelming pride, but Kengo hides his feelings. Yet, the parting inverses this around, which seems to suggest that Masato is precisely open, because to him this is strength, while to Kengo, being open is weakness. I'm sure that more could be said about this.
Old 2013-12-20, 15:23   Link #71
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
I think that Kyousuke breaking down a bit was necessary to show that he hadn't become just some cool, aloof pragmatist. He played the guy who tried to keep it all together for Riki and Rin's sake, but deep down, he was hurting a lot too. I think it was important to show that to give it a human touch. I felt it hit the sweet spot for this kind of scene - Appropriately emotional, but also dignified.

Kyousuke and Kengo were on either side of the narm line for me during their parting scenes. I definitely undestand the reasons for it, but I've never been a big fan of "Screaming in Emotion" scenes- there's a certain level in which it becomes comical to my eyes. I have a similar reaction to some crying scenes, particularly in anime.

I far preferred the scene after the credits. It was understated, and not unrealistically so. I suspect people have different tolerances for melodramatic elements like that. It's why I can't give this show a 10, even though it is a good episode, it is far from perfect to my sensibilities. I'm not familiar with Key works though, perhaps it goes with the territory?
Old 2013-12-20, 17:23   Link #72
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Azure View Post
Kyousuke and Kengo were on either side of the narm line for me during their parting scenes. I definitely undestand the reasons for it, but I've never been a big fan of "Screaming in Emotion" scenes- there's a certain level in which it becomes comical to my eyes. I have a similar reaction to some crying scenes, particularly in anime.
To be completely honest, I've become a bit desensitized to "Screaming in Emotion" scenes in anime. So that is influencing me a bit here, I'll admit.

I tend to compare these scenes to ones like it that came before, especially recent ones. And Nagi no Asukara recently had an episode with waterworks that makes this episode almost seem restrained.
Old 2013-12-20, 18:23   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm not sure whether I need to or not, but just in case I'll elaborate on my point a bit: When I said it was a little excessive I really meant a little, so in the grander scheme of things we're not talking about anything major here in the first place imo. It didn't detract from the episode much and on any other anime I might have been able to roll with it more. It just so happens that I couldn't, because it's complicated by other problems I have with the show that factored in and that I don't imagine would have been a factor for others.
Old 2013-12-20, 20:40   Link #74
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
To be completely honest, I've become a bit desensitized to "Screaming in Emotion" scenes in anime. So that is influencing me a bit here, I'll admit.

I tend to compare these scenes to ones like it that came before, especially recent ones. And Nagi no Asukara recently had an episode with waterworks that makes this episode almost seem restrained.
That is a fair point. I've felt much the same way about that show too. I guess I'm somewhat desensitised too, but it tends to fluctuate on how much it bothers me- much the same as violent tsunderes, over-the-top fanservice, and sister-incest- thankfully all absent in Little Busters. It's a good show, just certain aspects will bother me from time to time.
Old 2013-12-20, 23:46   Link #75
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
He has a point there. After all, with all these episodes, one simply can't help but feel their pain. These people are well....dying. This is basically their dying dream, which is just about to end. Ano Hana's last ep.... is just. ugh.
Yeah I wasn't a fan of that scene in the anime at all. Glad others share the same opinion.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether I need to or not, but just in case I'll elaborate on my point a bit: When I said it was a little excessive I really meant a little, so in the grander scheme of things we're not talking about anything major here in the first place imo. It didn't detract from the episode much and on any other anime I might have been able to roll with it more. It just so happens that I couldn't, because it's complicated by other problems I have with the show that factored in and that I don't imagine would have been a factor for others.
I can understand what you are saying now. That is a fair argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Azure View Post

I far preferred the scene after the credits. It was understated, and not unrealistically so. I suspect people have different tolerances for melodramatic elements like that. It's why I can't give this show a 10, even though it is a good episode, it is far from perfect to my sensibilities. I'm not familiar with Key works though, perhaps it goes with the territory?
I know what you mean about "screaming emotion" and it being more comical and unwarranted. But, I found it was warranted in this scene. Deep down Kyousuke doesn't want to let go and yet he has to if he wants them to go on. It shows the real conflict he is struggling with. Also, if he didn't take charge of his emotions all of what he had done would have been for nothing if they remained in the crumbling world. So, for me, I didn't see this at all out of the norm for him. It is a natural reaction and shows how human his emotions are.

As for Kengo, I can understand very well from his breakdown. He puts on a strong front and can finally drop the act. He may he strong to everyone else, but he isn't emotionally as strong as he seems. As novalysis mentioned, he is open to weakness.

But perhaps it comes down to how emotions reach and affect to us differently. Just as how one thing works for someone and not another.
Old 2013-12-22, 10:35   Link #76
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Finally caught up. Holy shit, I knew that the bus accident had a huge part in the story, but good god. No survivors except for Riki and Rin. And everyone else...

;_;
Old 2014-01-08, 03:52   Link #77
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I... think I lost. I can't hold them back. ;_;
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Closed Thread