books-eater youkai

Russia blames Polish crew in crash that killed president Kaczynski
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1866627/
Old 2011-01-13, 15:17   Link #11402
flying ^

some have not held up in court
for example...
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...v_missouri.php

oh btw, the church agreed to cancel the protest (for the 9/yo) in exchange for airtime on two Tucson radio stations.
Old 2011-01-13, 17:01   Link #11403
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No one "did anything" because all of the tools to "do anything" have been systematically gutted in the US. The USA has been consistently dismantling its mental health care systems since the 1980s. The "big boys" don't want to pay for it (nor for any other health care) and if I wanted to be Big Brother-ish... it certainly DOES provide the fear and anxiety level on both left and right in the repercussions when someone who NEEDS help acts out. Its a perverse combination of asserting personal rights coupled with the bonanza of not having to pay for it. (except that the victims in the blast area pay for it....)

The problem isn't with "guns", the problem is symptomatic of the breakdown of community, infrastructure, and culture in the US as driven by people so rich that "left" or "right" no meaning other than to divide the peasants. I walk by schizophrenics, paranoids, etc every day on the street and ride with them on the bus/train ... they have limited access to treatment or medication and no place for them to be safe.

You are correct, in that situation, almost any shotgun would have been a deadlier tool than a self-loading pistol like Glock. So the rhetoric on several sides is "full of shit" for the most part. The so-called 'conservatives' don't want responsibility for the community they take advantage of and the so-called "liberals" keep screaming "duct tape the symptoms". I won't even dignify the "label and move on" infantile media coverage (I bet Loughner drove a car... wow, he's a "car driver" we know about "car drivers" and their tainted ways :P)
Vexx, can you point to sources to help illustrate your point (about the mental health care breakdown). I believe it but some more evidence.

I do believe about the general over riding problem. No one wanting to have to pay for it. I remember a good program on Philly public radio about the balakinization of state counties. Basically in Camden county, waste facilities, rehab clinics all things important to the entire county are dumped in Camden city. No one wants to work and take lumps community wise, especially if you have money and that's whats really failing this country.

No wait, a better question. WHY DID WE GUT ALL THOSE TOOLS? I don't understand.
Old 2011-01-13, 17:54   Link #11404
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

While I don't believe in leaving homicidal madmen out with the rest of society, I'm not sure I'm too keen on letting even well intentioned (and that's a leap of faith right there...) incarcerate people who haven't actually done anything wrong on the basis that "they're acting crazy".
Old 2011-01-13, 19:30   Link #11405
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Vexx, can you point to sources to help illustrate your point (about the mental health care breakdown). I believe it but some more evidence.

I do believe about the general over riding problem. No one wanting to have to pay for it. I remember a good program on Philly public radio about the balakinization of state counties. Basically in Camden county, waste facilities, rehab clinics all things important to the entire county are dumped in Camden city. No one wants to work and take lumps community wise, especially if you have money and that's whats really failing this country.

No wait, a better question. WHY DID WE GUT ALL THOSE TOOLS? I don't understand.
Here's a couple of interesting reads .... though the drivers are more complicated than my rant suggests, its basically a strategic avoidance of responsibility in play.

http://content.healthaffairs.org/con...1/3/7.full.pdf
http://www.nami.org/gtsTemplate09.cf...he_States_2009

Those are good starters.... some of the many vectors -
1) The US, particularly the conservative side, still tends to think of 'mental illness' as imaginary "just get up and shake it off" bullshit. In other words, our educational levels on various topics are a fail.
2) As with almost every other topic, the hyper-rich are replaying the 1890s Gilded Age (couple with the 1920s meltdown) for the last 25 years "screw the peasants, loot the treasury, off for the Isles". They may actually succeed in eradicating the middle class this time while they romp .... we'll see.
3) The "people" decided to "mainstream" mental illness rather than keep them in a safe environment. It resembled the tactic of putting all the special needs kids end up in regular classes to their harm and the learning detriment of the rest of the class (no, I don't care how good the teacher is - just keep piling rocks on her). A lot of arm-waving aside - both changes were a response to never-ending assault on shrinking budgets from anti-tax attacks.
Old 2011-01-13, 22:41   Link #11406
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Your horoscope sign may not actually be your sign. Due to a gradual shift in Earth's shifting ways, a new 13th sign, Ophiuchus, is now in the stars for many.

http://www.torontosun.com/life/2011/01/13/16878126.html

I've been a Pisces for my entire life, and now I'm an Aquarius.
Old 2011-01-13, 22:44   Link #11407
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
some have not held up in court
for example...
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...v_missouri.php

oh btw, the church agreed to cancel the protest (for the 9/yo) in exchange for airtime on two Tucson radio stations.
Just as bad.
Then again, Glenn Beck started with morning radio.
Old 2011-01-13, 23:18   Link #11408
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Your horoscope sign may not actually be your sign. Due to a gradual shift in Earth's shifting ways, a new 13th sign, Ophiuchus, is now in the stars for many.

http://www.torontosun.com/life/2011/01/13/16878126.html

I've been a Pisces for my entire life, and now I'm an Aquarius.
I'm going to chalk this up to bullcrap. I was born an aquarius, and I'm not suddenly becoming a capricorn just because they discovered they can't tell time. Should go by birth, not current time.
Old 2011-01-13, 23:31   Link #11409
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm going to chalk this up to bullcrap. I was born an aquarius, and I'm not suddenly becoming a capricorn just because they discovered they can't tell time. Should go by birth, not current time.
Well unless you were born nearly 1000 years ago, it still affects you even if birth date is the basis of designation.

So technically, I never was a Pisces, and have always been an Aquarius, and you've always been a Capricorn.
Old 2011-01-13, 23:42   Link #11410
GDB

Meh, I'm still calling crap on it.
Old 2011-01-13, 23:52   Link #11411
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Meh, I'm still calling crap on it.
Well, I don't care for astrology of the Romanian sort.
There's also the Irish/Celtic and Chinese ones as well, and that's just the big 3.

You know what? If people could tell the future, why bother doing anything?
Old 2011-01-14, 00:01   Link #11412
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
The problem is that the ASTROLOGISTS (I may strangle the next news media that says "ASTRONOMER") have been using starcharts that are a thousand year old system that has never kept up with either star charts or with the wobbles of the earth's orbit. Its finally reached the point that they can't pretend any longer and have to adjust ... though I don't know why as astrology is all arm-waving crapola
Old 2011-01-14, 00:03   Link #11413
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I don't believe in it either, but I found it interesting nonetheless. I'm sure people who find entertainment in horoscopes would also get a kick from it, whether good or bad.
Old 2011-01-14, 00:05   Link #11414
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
The problem is that the ASTROLOGISTS (I may strangle the next news media that says "ASTRONOMER") have been using starcharts that are a thousand year old system that has never kept up with either star charts or with the wobbles of the earth's orbit. Its finally reached the point that they can't pretend any longer and have to adjust ... though I don't know why as astrology is all arm-waving crapola
Um , because in Romania, it is now a taxable industry.
Old 2011-01-14, 00:12   Link #11415
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
Um , because in Romania, it is now a taxable industry.
It has never been able to decide whether it is a religion or a science (since, after all, its an antecedent of both in some ways). So you're saying taxation is the driver in the adjustment?
Old 2011-01-14, 00:18   Link #11416
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
It has never been able to decide whether it is a religion or a science (since, after all, its an antecedent of both in some ways). So you're saying taxation is the driver in the adjustment?
Um, no. But it does explain why the adjustment is of importance now.
Taxation opens up a pathway to regulation and control.
Old 2011-01-14, 00:32   Link #11417
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

People can make money at it, thus it is taxed.
Old 2011-01-14, 01:04   Link #11418
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
People can make money at it, thus it is taxed.
By that argument, institutional religion should be taxed
Old 2011-01-14, 01:05   Link #11419
GundamFan0083

Quote:
By that argument, institutional religion should be taxed
You know that's not such a bad....on second thought, I better keep my mouth shut.
Old 2011-01-14, 01:38   Link #11420
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
You know that's not such a bad....on second thought, I better keep my mouth shut.
Or the Scientologists will come after you.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international