Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-03-10, 05:53   Link #981
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
See what i posted months ago?... it seems that Kamogawa is Ippo's weakness, in the contender's eyes at least. Well, this can only mean that Ippo will take off the head of the guy or in fact, Kamogawa IS Ippo's weakness.
I would say anger is Ippo's weakness, at least that's what the guy's making it sound like. Ippo tends to be clear-headed whenever he goes in for a fight, but he's never gone into a fight in a rage. Ippo may be the type to lose focus when he's enraged and his fighting becomes less sharp, sloppier perhaps. That's what the opponent wants to exploit. In this instance, however, I'm hoping it'll backfire because it's an entirely new Ippo we're gonna see here. And anyways, the guy's obviously in no real shape to fight even after he regains weight before the match. This'll prolly end quickly in real time (not neccessarily in chapter time).
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 08:21   Link #982
AnimeFangirl

Ippo was angry when he fought Sawamura, wasn't he?
Old 2011-03-10, 08:53   Link #983
Fran~
floating away...

yup... with Gedo too.

I don't think that this guy is just trying to upset Ippo. He pointed out something about his weakness too many times based on his fanatism for Ippo, it would be so cheap if it were just to pissing him off.

I don't know... Morikawa is predictable. Ippo will be in a pinch and the he will make a comeback and end of the fight, i can't see something different and if it would be, well... i will be surprised.
Old 2011-03-15, 13:29   Link #984
palpatin

My guess is that there will be some kind of big plot twist.
I think he will win the fight easily while being in some kind of bloodthirsty rage mode, but he will seriously injure (somethin like disabling him) or even kill his opponent (I don't really think the latter will happen, though) and then Ippo will be afraid of himself or feel like he betrayed his own honest way of boxing.
What I'm talking about is the kind of killer mode Mashiba used to have. And if Ippo scares Kumi by starting to box like that just after her big brother stopped doing it, it will be quite ironic^^
Old 2011-03-15, 15:41   Link #985
AnimeFangirl

That would be kind of cool. Therefore it won't happen.
Old 2011-03-15, 19:56   Link #986
Fran~
floating away...

^ Yes, pretty much that...
Old 2011-03-15, 21:26   Link #987
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I honestly feel that he's not so off the mark with his comment.

Kamogawa does feel like a pretty crappy coach and second most of the time. Of course, the underdog nature of Ippo's fights mean that 'the basics' that Kamogawa preaches must fail for plot reasons, but it seemed at times like Kamogawa couldn't give any advice that isn't something that shaves away 6 months of a boxer's career each time.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 21:43   Link #988
AnimeFangirl

Well he did ruin his own boxing career with a reckless action, no reason to expect him not to do so with other boxers. Maybe it can be said that Takamura succeeded despite Kamogawa, not because of him. Certainly Kamogawa hasn't done much for Takamura. I always wondered why he didn't send Takamura to the USA along with Volg once it was established that Takamura had difficulty finding suitable sparring opponents locally.
Old 2011-03-16, 07:32   Link #989
palpatin

Then what Ippo has to do is surpass Kamogawas teachings?
Maybe this realization will be tied to Kamogawas death/ growing disability to coach.
He IS pretty old already, I even fear he might not witness Takamura completing his 6 weightclass challenge.
And that's another plottwist I could imagine (but again reeeeeeeal unlikely to happen): Takamura losing. I bet that Ippo would be incredibly upset.

...but honestly, Takamura losing? Waaaaaay Nooooo! XD
Old 2011-03-17, 09:33   Link #990
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Well he did ruin his own boxing career with a reckless action, no reason to expect him not to do so with other boxers. Maybe it can be said that Takamura succeeded despite Kamogawa, not because of him. Certainly Kamogawa hasn't done much for Takamura. I always wondered why he didn't send Takamura to the USA along with Volg once it was established that Takamura had difficulty finding suitable sparring opponents locally.
No way Kamogawa would send Takamura to the US, remember what means the US to Kamogawa. To me, Kamogawa is just an old fox, he knows the business but only in Japan. That's why i posted several months ago, that Morikawa should kill him the same way they killed Mickey in Rocky III. Date or another one should take Ippo to the world stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatin View Post
Then what Ippo has to do is surpass Kamogawas teachings?
Maybe this realization will be tied to Kamogawas death/ growing disability to coach.
He IS pretty old already, I even fear he might not witness Takamura completing his 6 weightclass challenge.
And that's another plottwist I could imagine (but again reeeeeeeal unlikely to happen): Takamura losing. I bet that Ippo would be incredibly upset.

...but honestly, Takamura losing? Waaaaaay Nooooo! XD
Morikawa stated that Takamura was the strongest boxer in his manga, stronger than Martinez. So, it's unthinkable.

About Kamogawa, seriously, Ippo needs a better coach... Kamogawa's ceiling is the fight with Miyata... beyond that Ippo will need a coach who can teach him new tricks.
Old 2011-03-17, 09:40   Link #991
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
No way Kamogawa would send Takamura to the US, remember what means the US to Kamogawa. To me, Kamogawa is just an old fox, he knows the business but only in Japan. That's why i posted several months ago, that Morikawa should kill him the same way they killed Mickey in Rocky III. Date or another one should take Ippo to the world stage.
If Date replaced Kamogawa as Ippo's coach, this manga would prolly become one of the coolest things I've ever read.
Old 2011-03-17, 10:21   Link #992
Fran~
floating away...

Date is pretty much what Apollo Creed was for Rocky... and despite Ippo's image, he and Rocky are too similar... they both are the biggest underdogs of their franchises.
Old 2011-03-17, 10:27   Link #993
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Date is pretty much what Apollo Creed was for Rocky... and despite Ippo's image, he and Rocky are too similar... they both are the biggest underdogs of their franchises.
Good thing Date isn't boxing himself anymore then. A certain russian boxer wouldn't be able to kill him then
Old 2011-03-17, 11:07   Link #994
Fran~
floating away...

Martinez almost did it though
Old 2011-03-17, 11:23   Link #995
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Martinez almost did it though
But that was when Date was actively boxing. He's only coaching now
Old 2011-03-17, 11:29   Link #996
Fran~
floating away...

To me, Morikawa did that on purpose (leaving Date alive)... it would be a waste in the case he should kill Kamogawa.

Date fought Martinez twice... and God... do you think how it would be the heart break shot with this Ippo (not the one who face Date years ago).
Old 2011-03-18, 05:06   Link #997
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
To me, Morikawa did that on purpose (leaving Date alive)... it would be a waste in the case he should kill Kamogawa.

Date fought Martinez twice... and God... do you think how it would be the heart break shot with this Ippo (not the one who face Date years ago).
Ippo with the heartbreak shot would be way cool. Well, idk if Morikawa would want Ippo learning anything new and just wants to keep him a power brawler. At the most, if Ippo somehow miraculously were to start training under Date, I imagine that while not learning the heartbreak shot, Ippo would get some really good insight on how to really fight against Martinez.
Old 2011-03-18, 12:23   Link #998
AnimeFangirl

The heartbreak shot? With Ippo's punching power? He'll kill someone!
Old 2011-03-18, 15:15   Link #999
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
The heartbreak shot? With Ippo's punching power? He'll kill someone!
Like Martinez!
Old 2011-03-18, 17:31   Link #1000
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Well, on the whole, I don't think new techniques is what Ippo needs (his Dempsey Roll 2.0 is still something in the works as it's been quite a while since he used it and back then it was still incomplete). What Ippo really needs right now is more cunning and insight, try to understand his opponent better. One thing I noticed from all his fights is that he tends to muscle through all the punches (hence you have all his comeback KOs) and rarely come out of a fight clean. Hell, I don't even remember the last time Ippo came out of a fight without much hurt. That may be another fault in Kamogawa's coaching as well: he's focusing too much on building Ippo's body resistance, power and muscle structure without really focusing on basic skills and cunning, which is just as important to a fighter as anything else. Date showed plenty of that on the other hand, and you can't just muscle out a fight against Martinez (or even Miyata for that matter).

Tags
boxing, shonen, sports