AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 15 26.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 37.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-28, 08:59   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Amagami SS - Episode 17 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Amagami SS, Episode 17.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-10-28, 13:45   Link #2
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Spoiler for Episode 17 of Amagami SS:
Old 2010-10-28, 14:08   Link #3
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

As usual for recent episodes, posting my thoughts as I watch.

Spoiler for Episode 17 thoughts:

Color me surprised. Rihoko's arc immediately was able to make me smile, and as a heroine I really feel like rooting for her. Nice ED, entertaining story points, and Rihoko herself is quite likable. I would say even moreso initially than Ai. Time will tell if that continues to be the case. Hopefully they do dig more into her and Junichi's childhood.

Overall, an 8/10 episode for me. Definitely looking forward to more of this arc.
Old 2010-10-28, 21:29   Link #4
Midonin
Last Engage

Hers and Sae's arcs are going to stand out the most to me because they experimented with the format, by either spontaneously generating a narrator or shifting the story's focus. I'm not sure which arc would've been best to serve as a "base" arc (every experiment needs a control, after all), but I would not have minded, and in fact encouraged it, if the showrunners had tried something new with every arc. Is that not what art is about?
Old 2010-10-28, 22:41   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep17:
Old 2010-10-28, 23:31   Link #6
HandofFate

Rihoko is a pretty entertaining narrator.

Spoiler for episode 17 impressions:
Old 2010-10-28, 23:48   Link #7
sgwc
I'm just a support char..

Good Ep. I like it. it has a warm and fuzzy feelings with some funny scenes and lines. Love it in every way~!
Old 2010-10-28, 23:50   Link #8
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

The first episode started out exactly as anticipated with Rihoko's arc, which revolves around her desire to diet and fondness for Junichi, being told from her perspective. Hopefully each episode we'll learn more about their childhood. Speaking of, it was pretty funny to see the difference between her recollections and those of Junichi the day they played magic together as kids at the playground. She probably liked him back then and wanted Junichi to truly think of her as a princess. The first episode did reinforce my initial impression of her though as being slightly airheaded, weak-willed and clumsy.

Just like Hibiki watches over Haruka, it seems Kanae's relationship with Rihoko is quite similar. I have a feeling if she wouldn't be there for her in the mornings, Rihoko would miss a lot of school

When he saw Rihoko stuck, I'm pretty sure Junichi saw her panties, but said the right thing to calm her down. He did score brownie points for thinking of Rihoko when he widened the hole so she could comfortably make it through the next day. Hopefully that boast in confidence will lead to improved compliance towards her goals.

Considering Rihoko knows how to cook, she should be able to prepare some healthier foods that she can bring to school so she isn't tempted to buy unhealthy snacks. But it seems Rihoko will have a lot of support from various characters, mainly Kanae and Junichi. It was sly of Kanae to organize a "skate date" with Junichi and Umehara and, judging from her smile, Rihoko was aware of Kanae's intention to get her close to Junichi.

I think the most interesting moment was when Umehara stated the girl Junichi liked the most in the book resembled Rihoko. It was also interesting to see that Miya really didn't appear much in this first episode outside of Rihoko's memories. I suppose Miya is paired with Sae in terms of best friends, and Rihoko is buddied up with the new girl, Kanae.
Old 2010-10-29, 00:00   Link #9
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
Gonna be a sweet story.
Old 2010-10-29, 00:02   Link #10
U<3Anime
Boo!

First episode has made me smile and laugh several times. This arc is shaping up to be a top contender.

I didn't recognize litte miya until she did her signature laugh. Her meat bun chant just made me laugh uncontrollably. I think it has become another miya quote that I can listen to all day.

Last edited by U<3Anime; 2010-10-29 at 00:14.
Old 2010-10-29, 00:21   Link #11
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

This episode was "innocently delicious". Rihoko is very likable. Inside and out. 9/10.
Old 2010-10-29, 02:11   Link #12
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Probably the most enjoyable first episode of the arcs so far?
Anyways, it was pretty nice.
I guess the only real complaint would be the ED theme clearly wasn't using Rihoko's voice and just the voice actor singing.

I was worried Mya wouldn't get any appearance, but she finally did, and on top of that, there was a scene of loli Mya performing some freaky ritual.

Still... That fence... I'm surprised Rihoko and Tachibana didn't get hurt by the fence's spikes...

Ayatsuji had a dark look on her face for one moment... (O_O;; )

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-10-29, 02:51   Link #13
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Spoiler:

EDIT: Suddenly on mind: Miya is like a little imp. Oh you adorable impish little fiend.

Last edited by Newprimus; 2010-10-29 at 03:11.
Old 2010-10-29, 02:58   Link #14
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

A really nice first episode. Really really like it. The best first episode for me. Rihoko is really cute and likable :3 I don't really undertand why she thinks she's fat. She's perfectly fine like this

This arc has a lot of potential due to her childhood past with Junichi. Futhermore, Junichi is not as stupid as the two previous arc (the first two episode for Ai's arc).

Maybe it will be the best Amagami SS arc after all ? (at least until Ayatsuji arc )
Old 2010-10-29, 04:40   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Very pleased with Rihoko's first episode. I like how the little backstory was covered at the start, plus having her as the focus is a nice change. It'll make for some interesting scenes later on. Plus this is probably my favorite first episode out of all the arcs so far. Keep this up, and we have an arc that could stand up against Haruka's.

Personally i love her figure, so i'm against her loosing weight :3. She wants to do it for the one she loves, so i guess i can let it slide. Foot tease on the scales was nice, along with some nice shots of her body.

Also Miya was doing her nishishishi during her childhood. Truly do wonder where she picked that up from.
Old 2010-10-29, 05:55   Link #16
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

While I make my blog post there are a few things that really strike me with this:

1. It might be ironic that while Junichi is no longer the protagonist for this arc, I think this is his best iteration in the series yet. Controlled perversion without the denseness and the idiocy, and the fact that he's actually thoughtful from the get go without having to realize his idiocy. Widening the gap in the wire fence was, for me, the single best initialy gesture he has done for ANY girl in the series thus far.

2. I LOVE the ED. Best ED in the series so far. I need to make an Avatar request for the part where she's swinging her hips.

3. The change in perspective was a very nice touch, and I loved how they're trying to ease her out of the ditzy airhead stigma she got in the previous arcs.

All in all my favorite opener of the series so far.
Old 2010-10-29, 07:48   Link #17
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
1. It might be ironic that while Junichi is no longer the protagonist for this arc, I think this is his best iteration in the series yet. Controlled perversion without the denseness and the idiocy, and the fact that he's actually thoughtful from the get go without having to realize his idiocy. Widening the gap in the wire fence was, for me, the single best initialy gesture he has done for ANY girl in the series thus far.
I'm reserving full judgment on Junichi 5.0 for at least one more episode, but I did indeed get the feeling that he wasn't quite as much of a tool as he's been through most of the other arcs. One can only hope this persists.

Quote:
2. I LOVE the ED. Best ED in the series so far. I need to make an Avatar request for the part where she's swinging her hips.
The ED is hands down the best one of the series so far. As for the avatar, if it hasn't been made yet I'll give it a shot here for you.

Quote:
3. The change in perspective was a very nice touch, and I loved how they're trying to ease her out of the ditzy airhead stigma she got in the previous arcs.
I watched some Youtube vids of Rihoko's arc, and she really isn't the airhead we've been led to believe she is previously. If the rest of her arc is as good and enjoyable as this first episode, it may just beat Kaoru's for my favorite arc so far.
Old 2010-10-29, 07:56   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Unrequited Love

As I mentioned, the first thing you’ll notice is that Rihoko’s narrating, and that the protagonist role has shifted from Junichi to her. The story’s perspective now shifts to her viewpoint and her, in her own words, unrequited love. This time we’re seeing things more directly from the viewpoint of the female rather than the male, so as expected were seeing a more… female (so to speak) view on the events, especially Rihoko’s attempts to go on a diet. A diet we can obviously tell isn’t as much due to being stuck under the fence as it is Junichi’s casual comment on her getting fat again.

And really Junichi does lack a bit of tact, because this one of the things you really shouldn’t telling women, and he’s probably just lucky Rihoko’s a nice girl.

Despite the fact that he’s no longer the focal point of the storytelling, I can say that this version of Junichi is his best self in the series so far. Controlled and manly perversions without the high degree of denseness and idiocy he had in the previous stories. It might be because we aren’t seeing everything he does in this episode compared to previous ones, but this Junichi is almost fully level-headed, observant and generally not an all around idiot. Okay he still is, but not to the same degree he was before. I actually found him to be quite respectable in this version, so much so that he might tend to kid around (especially since they are old friends) but he’s generally acting like a modern high school guy with a slight gentleman’s touch.

The best scene of the episode goes to him. Widening that gap in the wire’s for Rihoko, even if he wasn’t sure she’d be late, is to me the single best initial gesture he’s done for the girl of the arc so far. It didn’t take any lessons in romance or sudden realizations on his mistakes and actions that caused him to do it. He did it precisely because it was in his nature and he felt like he should, for her sake. This is a Junichi that is a far cry from his previous selves.

One thing I immediately saw is while they’re still keeping her old carefree self, they’re trying to ease her out of the ditzy airhead stigma a lot of people give her during the previous arcs, where most of the time we only see her going about her dieting or the tea club. Compared to most of the other heroines, she usually gets the least screen time when she appeared previously, so I was also initially pressed to believe that she’s supposed to fill in the airhead slot for the show, and this episode shows that this isn’t so. She may be always late and sometimes absent minded but she tried her damn best.

Also maybe mostly because of the female perspective, but this episode also gives the most single episode characterization for the lead female, which is again expected probably since she’s the center of attention. This also becomes more apparent when you do realize that Junichi’s been making a lot of jokes about her weight since they were kids and this has actually affected her as they grew up together. Much more so because she has one-sided feelings for him, which also presses her towards her weight issues.
Old 2010-10-29, 09:36   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep17:
I'm pretty sure they intended to eat her if it worked. Some friends they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
While I make my blog post there are a few things that really strike me with this:

Yes, the change in perspective is very refreshing. I welcome it with open arms. This enables us to see Junichi in a new (better) light, although they made a point of showing us he's still as much of a pervert as usual (at the same time, it was pointed out to us that Junichi likes chubby girls). I think they switched the point of view this time because Rihoko's already very much in love with, thus he doesn't really need to woo her. Maybe the roles will be reversed? In any event, I loved this episode thanks to this.

Rihoko is such an adorable klutz. I hadn't realized just how much of one she was until now. And I knew she ate a lot, but what we saw in this episode went beyond my expectations. It's amazing she looks so good. Aaaah, anime.
Old 2010-10-29, 09:42   Link #20
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

This episode deserves a 10 and has become one of my fave episodes in this series.

I already expected that the arc would revolve around Rihoko's diet but I didn't expect how big the difference in pacing/cinematography when they turned Rihoko into the protagonist instead of Junichi.

Ok, I think I don't need to reiterate how good this episode is but I really don't get why Sae and Ai arcs didn't get this kind of treatment? As far as I know Amagami have only 1 director and 2 writers. So why is there a huge gap in storytelling?
Closed Thread