Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 07:39   Link #7442
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Mavis is pure win rofl.
Old 2012-01-28, 08:42   Link #7443
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Loved the chapter... hoped for a spplit second that when it was mentioned the upcoming fights would be based on fan votes that it would be like the ft beauty contest where we could pick the match ups. However then I realized Mashima can troll us better if the "fans" in the audience do something "evil"

For the record of all the possible match ups the one I was really wanting was Erza vs Mirajane, in the hope Mirajane comes back to form after 3 moths training and now that we know Jerral meet all of FT that Ultear unlocked everones magic even Mirajanes, it would be so logical yet unexpected Mashima could troll us hard by revealing that at the right moment (and still could)
Old 2012-01-28, 09:42   Link #7444
kitten320

Oh! I'm dying to see Mira VS Erza battle now even though Erza will most likely win because of main heroine status, so unfair =/

But as long as Mira gets to kick Erza's ass at least a bit I'll be fine.

Loved Mystogan disguise part
Old 2012-01-28, 09:50   Link #7445
Ushio the Omega

Why the hell is everyone saying the Fairy Tail B team is strong?

Jellel ass kicked by Natsu and Nightmare(who was pawned by Erza)
Juvia (fodder when has she actually done anything but lose)
Gajeel ass kicked by Natsu then by no name fodder from Grimoire Heart
Laxus ass kicked by Natsu and disregarded by Hades who lost to Natsu
Mirajane lost to Azuma who was crushed by Erza

Natsu and Erza could crush the B team by themselves FACT.
Ushio the Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 10:07   Link #7446
kitten320

Natsu is a main character with bunch of power ups, take away main character title and he sucks bad.

Jellal lost to Natsu only because Natsu ate Lacrima and Jellal fought Erza before that too. Besides Jellal was developing for the last 7 years while Natsu was frozen in yime.
Conclusion: Jellal > Natsu

Sadly that's true about Juvia, the moment she joined Fairy Tail she became a joke of a character. Mashima better get her back on track.

Gajeel was facing many others back then during the Natsu fight and as far as I remember Natsu was assisted in getting power up. And just as Juvia Gajeel was put down power wise the moment he joined Fairy Tail. It is great opportunity for author to finally get Gajeel back on the right track. For a strongest member of evil guild he became pathetic.

Laxus kicked both Natsu, Gajeel and Mystogan at the same time. It was 3 on 1 for the biggest part of the time.

Mirajane was out of battle power by then and the only reason why she really lost is because she tried to protect Lisana.
Erza got her ass handed by Asuma about 3 times before main heroine status and power of friendship kicked in.

Sorry but over all Team B is stronger because Lucy and Elfman are no near those levels. All of them can be kicked by team B, Juvia alone could probably take them out especially if she sees Lucy as love rival. What leaves 3 on 5 with Jellal who has 7 years advantage. Team B is superior.

P.S. If go back to Laxus arc, Erza fought Evegreen who is the weakest in their team while Mirajane totally dominated Fried who is 2nd strongest. He only lost to Laxus in power.
Now after her power is fully back I really wouldn't look down on her especially since she is an S-rank who was Erza's rival in the past.
Old 2012-01-28, 11:19   Link #7447
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
...who won with Luxus' power, let's not forget about that
Quote:
Strong enough to hold a position in the council...
Quote:
Again, Erza didn't defeat Azuma with her own power, she used the power of the entire guild to slice him up. Even Nav would beat Azuma like that.
Quote:
mmmmyeeeeaah...Natsu is Mirajane fodder and Erza had a tough time against Luxus back in Kaldia cathedral, remember? Don't go calling facts without...well, facts.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 12:47   Link #7448
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Laxus kicked both Natsu, Gajeel and Mystogan at the same time. It was 3 on 1 for the biggest part of the time.
Err, that is a bit of unfair statement. Laxus went one on one with Mystogan and they both were on equal footing, until Erza and Natsu arrived. He then vanished without us ever finding out just how much of a power gap was between them.
Old 2012-01-28, 14:21   Link #7449
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Sorry but over all Team B is stronger because Lucy and Elfman are no near those levels.
Just gonna throw this here, but Elfman's current level is unknown. I'm not really expecting Mashima to make a lot of room for him, since he's the definition of a side character, but it would be nice to see how far he'd be willing to go with these few months of training.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 14:25   Link #7450
immblueversion

Say, there's one little thing about the tournament rules that I don't get, at least based on the translation. Well, maybe I sort of get it, but I'd like to clarify. So first, let me go through the rules that I do get (I will refer to each guild as a "team"):

The tournament will last for five days (in-universe, of course), with a mystery event occurring each day that won't be described in detail until the very last minute before the tournament begins; evidently, the game for the first day is called "Hidden," which the participants suspect will involve literal hiding away. In addition, the first four days will include battles following the events, with the fourth day featuring a "tag battle" (I'm guessing the other battles will be one-on-one fights) Evidently, what will happen on the fifth and last day will be a complete mystery until the time comes.

Each team earns points based on their performance in the tournament. As it stands, each team has already earned points based on their ranking in the preliminary event:

Sabertooth: 10pt
Fairy Tail B: 8pt
Raven Tail: 6pt
Lamia Scale: 4pt
Blue Pegasus: 3pt
Mermaid Heel: 2pt
Quatro Cerberus: 1pt
Fairy Tail A: 0pt

Each team can discuss amongst themselves which one of their five members should participate in which event. However, only the tournament sponsor gets to choose which members will participate using a ballot. In the battles, the winner gets 10pt and the loser gets 0pt; if a battle ends with a draw, both teams get 5pt.

That's what I get. What I want to know is, what is the point of the pre-battle games? Or, how do they contribute into the tournament? Do they affect anything, or are they just for show?

What I suspect is that the outcome of the games will affect which team fights which. Of course, that's assuming that four battles occur each day before the final day. But what if only one battle occurs each day? In that case, what would determine which two teams will fight? Would it still be the outcome of the games? Either way, it just doesn't seem clear reading from the current chapter alone.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 15:39   Link #7451
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
Err, that is a bit of unfair statement. Laxus went one on one with Mystogan and they both were on equal footing, until Erza and Natsu arrived. He then vanished without us ever finding out just how much of a power gap was between them.
My main point was that Laxus didn't fight Natsu one on one and lost. There were a lot of others who were involved and wore Laxus down and they were all on S-rank level.
Old 2012-01-28, 16:10   Link #7452
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I am all for Jellal joining FT and be the new Mystogan

Master Mavis: I appoved!!!
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 16:42   Link #7453
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:
My main point was that Laxus didn't fight Natsu one on one and lost. There were a lot of others who were involved and wore Laxus down and they were all on S-rank level.
Yes, of course. And not just the others, there was plot power involved as well.
Old 2012-01-28, 16:49   Link #7454
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
Why the hell is everyone saying the Fairy Tail B team is strong?

An exaggeration, but yeah, the B Team's win/loss record is pretty poor. The only one with a clean solo win is Mirajane, and the only one with a positive win/loss record is Gajeel. Lots of them being hyped as powerful, but they've mostly served as jobbers. Hopefully they'll be getting a decent amount of time to shine this arc and give them some justification for the hype.

Quote:
Gajeel was facing many others back then during the Natsu fight and as far as I remember Natsu was assisted in getting power up.
Uh, no. Gajeel was only fighting against Natsu in the fight he lost. The only "power up" Natsu got was an inspiring speech by Erza, and Lucy getting some fire for him to eat after Gajeel ate some metal. Natsu had also previously fought Totomaru, and gotten the crap kicked out of him by Aria. So he was started from a hefty disadvantage before the "power ups".

Quote:
No. Mystogan fought Laxus evenly. Then Natsu and Erza showed up up and Laxus blasted off his head cloth while he was distracted and then he left. Then Laxus blasted Erza in back while she was in shock over Mystogan being identical to the thought recently killed Jellal, Laxus fought Natsu briefly, got the upper hand, then Erza pulled herself out of her shock, clashed evenly with Laxus for a minute, and left to destroy the Thunder Palace leaving Natsu to start fighting Laxus again. Laxus eventually got serious and went from fighting Natsu somewhat evenly, to stomping Natsu, then Gajeel showed up to save Natsu from a nasty hit, in short order they were batting him around like a rag doll until he pulled DS powers out of his ass to blunt the damage, when they asked why he was still standing he went "See? I'm a dragonslayer too!" and hit them with a roar while they were still stunned by that revelation, wasted a bunch of time and some magic botching using Fairy Law, kicked around Natsu some more threw a lightning spear at him which Gajeel intercepted, then got beat by a combo from Natsu. Fairly impressive but hardly worth the level of hype some people give him.

Quote:
Mirajane was out of battle power by then and the only reason why she really lost is because she tried to protect Lisana.
Given her generally poor performance against Azuma even when she wasn't distracted, she likely would have lost even without the need to worry about Lisanna. Quite possibly even if she was completely rested.

Quote:
Erza got her ass handed by Asuma about 3 times before main heroine status and power of friendship kicked in.
She also had her two best armors sitting around in a repair shop somewhere, was fighting Azuma amongst huge tree branches, terrain highly favorable to him, and he still didn't manage to get the upper hand against her until he used the power of Tenrou Island against her.

Quote:
Sorry but over all Team B is stronger because Lucy and Elfman are no near those levels. All of them can be kicked by team B, Juvia alone could probably take them out especially if she sees Lucy as love rival. What leaves 3 on 5 with Jellal who has 7 years advantage. Team B is superior.
While Lucy should definitely be weaker than anyone on the B team, I wouldn't be so quick to sell Elfman short. He did okay versus Gajeel when Fairy Tail attacked Phantom Lord until Natsu butted in, and when Phantom attacked Fairy Tail, he curbstomped Sol once he gained his full body take over. He got beat up fighting Mirajane, but apparently managed to tire her out, and one sucker punch from him was enough to bring her down. He lasted for a while versus Rusty Rose, with poor teamwork being the main reason he and Evergreen didn't defeat Rusty Rose.

Quote:
P.S. If go back to Laxus arc, Erza fought Evegreen who is the weakest in their team while Mirajane totally dominated Fried who is 2nd strongest. He only lost to Laxus in power.
Now after her power is fully back I really wouldn't look down on her especially since she is an S-rank who was Erza's rival in the past.
Erza also didn't bother to use any of her armors in the fight until the end when she showed Evergreen how to bluff. Mirajane basically went all out against Fried, lost the hand to hand fight and got thrown in the river, threw some of the river at him, then hit him with a huge blast. And yeah they were rivals, but I doubt they've been evenly matched since they were fifteen, when Erza made S-Class, and Mirajane didn't make S-Class until a year later when she was sixteen, then retired from taking missions a year later due to losing most of her powers, where as Erza was active as an S-Class mage the full four years since she made S-Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Again, Erza didn't defeat Azuma with her own power, she used the power of the entire guild to slice him up. Even Nav would beat Azuma like that.
As best I can tell, the only thing that everyone's power did was protect Erza from the second blast. She sliced him up with her own power. Likewise Jellal didn't actually do anything to revive Erza, she just briefly heard him as she was regaining consciousness after the blast, much in the same manner that Cobra was knocked out by Natsu's roar, but regained consciousness shortly thereafter and remained a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Say, there's one little thing about the tournament rules that I don't get, at least based on the translation. Well, maybe I sort of get it, but I'd like to clarify. So first, let me go through the rules that I do get (I will refer to each guild as a "team"):

The tournament will last for five days (in-universe, of course), with a mystery event occurring each day that won't be described in detail until the very last minute before the tournament begins; evidently, the game for the first day is called "Hidden," which the participants suspect will involve literal hiding away. In addition, the first four days will include battles following the events, with the fourth day featuring a "tag battle" (I'm guessing the other battles will be one-on-one fights) Evidently, what will happen on the fifth and last day will be a complete mystery until the time comes.

Each team earns points based on their performance in the tournament. As it stands, each team has already earned points based on their ranking in the preliminary event:

Sabertooth: 10pt
Fairy Tail B: 8pt
Raven Tail: 6pt
Lamia Scale: 4pt
Blue Pegasus: 3pt
Mermaid Heel: 2pt
Quatro Cerberus: 1pt
Fairy Tail A: 0pt

Each team can discuss amongst themselves which one of their five members should participate in which event. However, only the tournament sponsor gets to choose which members will participate using a ballot. In the battles, the winner gets 10pt and the loser gets 0pt; if a battle ends with a draw, both teams get 5pt.

That's what I get. What I want to know is, what is the point of the pre-battle games? Or, how do they contribute into the tournament? Do they affect anything, or are they just for show?

What I suspect is that the outcome of the games will affect which team fights which. Of course, that's assuming that four battles occur each day before the final day. But what if only one battle occurs each day? In that case, what would determine which two teams will fight? Would it still be the outcome of the games? Either way, it just doesn't seem clear reading from the current chapter alone.
Actually the Tournament lasts 7 days according to Polyusca. So either there's only 5 days of events with a couple days of rest, or everything 5th day and after is a complete mystery.

That 10 to 0 points for places 1 to 8 would the point distribution for the pre-battle games. So a team that comes in first in all the games but loses all their battles would have 40 points at the end of day four, and the team that comes in last in all the games, but wins all their battles would also have 40 points at the end of day four.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 16:58   Link #7455
Lunarskylar

im hoping for a dragon slayer tag team battle gajeel+ laxus, natsu+wendy (if she recovers by then) vs the saber dragonss

Last edited by Lunarskylar; 2012-01-28 at 17:15. Reason: haha jaxus
Lunarskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:15   Link #7456
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
That 10 to 0 points for places 1 to 8 would the point distribution for the pre-battle games. So a team that comes in first in all the games but loses all their battles would have 40 points at the end of day four, and the team that comes in last in all the games, but wins all their battles would also have 40 points at the end of day four.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, or if the translation wasn't completely accurate (no offense), they didn't say anything about the pre-battle games distributing points. They said that list of points from 10 to 0 was the number of points they had based on the preliminary. However, I'm guessing that also counts for the points earned by playing the games, because it says, "In terms of games, each team already has varying points according to their rankings in the preliminary event," while listing the ranks and respective point distribution. Does that mean there was a translation error?

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:35   Link #7457
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Unless I'm reading it wrong, or if the translation wasn't completely accurate (no offense), they didn't say anything about the pre-battle games distributing points. They said that list of points from 10 to 0 was the number of points they had based on the preliminary. However, I'm guessing that also counts for the points earned by playing the games, because it says, "In terms of games, each team already has varying points according to their rankings in the preliminary event," while listing the ranks and respective point distribution. Does that mean there was a translation error?
Ah, I see, you're looking at Dragon&Fly's translation. Mangastream's translation for that part is: "As far as the matches go, this is how the points will be distributed amongst first through 8th place. As the rankings fall, the amount of points received decreases." Mangastream has some other errors in the chapter, but they're probably the correct ones here.
Old 2012-01-28, 20:02   Link #7458
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
Gerard kicked Natsu's ass until Natsu ate Aetherion, and there's no Aetherion in the arena. Against Midnight, he was already in bad shape from the self-destruct spell.

Quote:
Whenever Gray's life is on the line.

Quote:
He's about as strong as baseline Natsu. And their names are Kawazu and Yomazu.

Quote:
Luxus flattened Natsu and Gazille at the same time, after their best attacks only damaged his shirt. In fact, nothing really hurt him in that fight until after he spent a bunch of energy performing Fairy Law.

Against Hades, he did better than the entire group and Makarov did before him. Plus, as Kafriel pointed out, Natsu's comeback used Luxus's magic.

Quote:
Mirajane didn't start that fight with a full tank. And Erza lost too, pretty much, only being saved by the plot.

Quote:
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 20:30   Link #7459
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Luxus flattened Natsu and Gazille at the same time, after their best attacks only damaged his shirt. In fact, nothing really hurt him in that fight until after he spent a bunch of energy performing Fairy Law.
Actually, Laxus was pretty well coated with the scuff marks that Mashima uses to indicate light wounds, including bleeding as we saw during one of the color pages in the OS arc. And he only did that well tanking the attack because he had his own dragon slayer magic to give him a bonus to defense.

Quote:
Against Hades, he did better than the entire group and Makarov did before him.
No he didn't. He landed all of 4 hits on Hades, and was injured to the point of giving up in less time, and with less effort on Hades part, than either the entire group, or Makarov. To add insult to injury, the attack that brought him to his knees looks just like one that Hades had used on Natsu when he decided it was time to deliver a beat down, and all it did to Natsu was blow him to the ground briefly.
Old 2012-01-29, 01:16   Link #7460
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Actually, Laxus was pretty well coated with the scuff marks that Mashima uses to indicate light wounds, including bleeding as we saw during one of the color pages in the OS arc.
Fair enough.

Quote:
And he only did that well tanking the attack because he had his own dragon slayer magic to give him a bonus to defense.
Where do you get that idea?

Quote:
No he didn't. He landed all of 4 hits on Hades, and was injured to the point of giving up in less time, and with less effort on Hades part, than either the entire group, or Makarov.
Well, 5 or 6 if you count his lightning-arrival and headbutt from the previous chapter. The group only managed about that many, and they didn't have Hades outright retreating at any point, whereas Luxus's regular punches/kicks did. Makarov... landed zero hits.

To be fair, the group was pretty low on gas at that point. I like to think that's why the cowboy act finished them off so easily.

Quote:
To add insult to injury, the attack that brought him to his knees looks just like one that Hades had used on Natsu when he decided it was time to deliver a beat down, and all it did to Natsu was blow him to the ground briefly.
Those are just Amaterasu seals, which can come in any number, as we saw when Hades was fighting Makarov. It's unlikely the two attacks were the same strength.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen