AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-15, 21:53   Link #621
Cyclone
Transient Guest

You know I'm all for it, Gooral - been shot down myself a few times proposing it too.

Maybe we can try another approach - simply ask the moderators:
Are there any terms and conditions under which such a thread would be acceptable to you? I'm sure we can work out some sort of compromise (with rules, etc) which would address your concerns about it devolving into a full blown translation thread.
Afterall, it's not really a translation thread we want - it's just a centralized location in which we can explain discrepancies between the various translations (discrepencies which are important to understanding the story).
Old 2010-12-16, 04:04   Link #622
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
You know I'm all for it, Gooral - been shot down myself a few times proposing it too.

Maybe we can try another approach - simply ask the moderators:
Are there any terms and conditions under which such a thread would be acceptable to you? I'm sure we can work out some sort of compromise (with rules, etc) which would address your concerns about it devolving into a full blown translation thread.
Afterall, it's not really a translation thread we want - it's just a centralized location in which we can explain discrepancies between the various translations (discrepencies which are important to understanding the story).
Fully agreed. We don't want a thread for translating the story... just a centralized location to clear up major variations in different translations.

Example of two translations of the same chapter conflicting in different translations.

Spoiler for example:

Hell, I wasted over 30 minutes searching though the all various chapter threads one key word at a time just to find this example until I choose the right keyword for 1 of the 5 examples I was thinking of at the time (I gave up looking for the others due to how long it took). It takes time just trying to find something that has already been cleared up just due to it being disorganized. The example I listed I think I've seen be cleared up 5 or six times at that on different chapter threads by different people . Having one location for these often unclear translations would let people help themselves first and second save people time referencing them.

Not to mention we only really are looking for a place to clarify key lines of text important to a major debate and nothing lengthy. We want the translations there to be as close to what was as literally intended as possible for use in debates. In other words we want a place where literal meaning is spelled out as best as possible with the characters tone as a side note... not the hodge podge mixing of the two needed to make a translation that could be put into a scan.

We all get that translations will differ and we can read between the lines ourselves. What we really just want this thread for easy to reference key lines that always get argued about and debated... not the trivial day to day stuff. In short how strong is character x when two translations greatly differ in what they imply or how many people are being referred to (example I'm referring to is how many little girls Priscilla didn't eat... one translation say one, others imply a multitude (turns out in this case once again in Japanese it is left ambiguous at best, but it's better to know it then debate the same point endlessly ).

We really don't want a thread for the minor stuff... like a poor translation in the recent chapter implying two characters where related or the nickname of the newly mentioned previous #1s in ch 110. Those minor translations can stay in there respective threads... we just want translations for the big reoccurring debates that keep coming up across multiple chapter threads in a sorted location for easier reference. We understand that lines could add up to a full blown translation of everything if left unchecked... but we believe what we're asking for is only for the vital dialog pertaining to a major line of debate, so for example since 95% of the Marked for Death Arc is useless for debating Teresa vs Priscilla and just how strong they where, there's no way that 5% at best could even cover 1 full chapter let alone an arc (and of that 5% we really only debate about 10 lines (~1%) endlessly ).

Sure, some noob could request a minor line to be translated or something that clearly doesn't need a translation... in which case person doing the translation could oblige them via PM or not translate it at all and tell them it's not in the guidelines of the thread to answer something as trivial as that. Possibly an exception to what where mostly asking for might get translated every now and then, like character A stating the line in one translation and character B stating that exact same line in another (a clear up here is just courteous)... but lets face it 95% of that will be posted in the recent chapter threads where people just react to the recent chapter and since that is where the bulk of the people wanting to debate go (especially if one of the rules is no translating the recent chapter on this thread, keep that in the chapter thread... if by next chapters release it is still a contentious issue to a serious debate it then can be brought here). The other 5% would be much older chapters where there is likely no thread for and even if there was no one would read the request anyways so there be no one to reply to the request; situations like that need the thread.
Old 2010-12-29, 10:41   Link #623
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Ch 111 thread... chapters out.
Old 2010-12-29, 11:19   Link #624
Gooral
Banned

Seconded. But with the poll this time please.
Old 2010-12-29, 11:38   Link #625
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Yes! With a poll to rate the chapter please!
Old 2010-12-29, 12:28   Link #626
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Yes! With a poll to rate the chapter please!
Poll - Poll - Poll!
Old 2011-03-02, 00:36   Link #627
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

chapter 113 is out, make a thread please its friggin awesome!!!
Old 2011-03-07, 16:44   Link #628
Prayer4Miria
Awakened at Midnight

Just wondering if claymore is made into a (hollywood) movie which actresses would the fans most want to see in the following roles (suggestions, not a poll),
1. Teresa
2. Galatea
3. Miria
4. Clare
5. Helen
6. Deneve
7. Raki (yeah that's right, use an actress for this role)
8. Rubel

Request new threat please.

Last edited by Prayer4Miria; 2011-03-07 at 16:45. Reason: better explanation
Old 2011-03-07, 16:49   Link #629
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prayer4Miria View Post
Just wondering if claymore is made into a (hollywood) movie which actresses would the fans most want to see in the following roles (suggestions, not a poll),
1. Teresa
2. Galatea
3. Miria
4. Clare
5. Helen
6. Deneve
7. Raki (yeah that's right, use an actress for this role)
8. Rubel

Request new threat please.
We already have a thread.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=60899
Old 2011-06-01, 10:43   Link #630
Gooral
Banned

First spoiler came out, we've also seen scan of Jump SQ index and we're really close to Jump SQ official release date. It would be nice to have new thread earlier than later in that case. every new post in 114th chapter thread will be related to 115th chapter anyway.
Old 2011-06-01, 15:22   Link #631
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
First spoiler came out, we've also seen scan of Jump SQ index and we're really close to Jump SQ official release date. It would be nice to have new thread earlier than later in that case. every new post in 114th chapter thread will be related to 115th chapter anyway.
^this

...but with a poll to rate chapter too, please. But one that accurately states the chapter #, unlike in the ch 114 thread which the poll is to rate ch 113 and not ch 114 like it should list.
Old 2011-06-01, 17:44   Link #632
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

You know the really sad part about that? I just noticed when you pointed it out. I'm like wtf...really?! Then I go check and it's like.....oh.

Ah well.
Old 2011-07-01, 12:28   Link #633
Gooral
Banned

116th chapter thread please. The reason the same as above.
Old 2011-07-01, 19:46   Link #634
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Fast and quiet release this month. Threads up.
Old 2011-08-30, 23:27   Link #635
Gooral
Banned

First spoiler(s) is (are) out and around that time we got new chapter so it would be great if we had topic to discuss them without spoiler tags.
Old 2011-11-09, 15:35   Link #636
Gooral
Banned

Spoiler for an interesting idea:

Alternatively we could have a new character poll but I think that something opposite (so "shooting" at the characters you like the least) is more interesting and leaves more room for discussions.
Old 2011-11-09, 16:04   Link #637
Nixl

Personally, I like Gooral's Survivor game suggestion immensely. I have two primary reason as to why I like it.

(1)The first is that I believe such a thread would create a dynamic character discussion despite being a poll/game. The potential for posters to make an argument for his/her pick seems like a thrilling prospect. In addition, this idea feels like a far more centralized and engaging character thread such as the Raki thread we have.

However, an important distinction is that I believe the Survivor thread would not overlap in anyway with our monthly chapter threads or our other character/scene polls already in existence. We are at the point where we have enough material for posters to create overviews of multiple characters. In essence, I do not think this idea would not compete with our other threads/polls. Instead, we could have a more comprehensive discussion of characters as they evolve and develop. The monthly discussion thread is not the most convenient or friendly source for our more casual readers, which leads to my second point.

(2) This thread could potentially enable greater participation. I think that this idea would encourage greater participation with our users and perhaps bring forth some lurkers into the fray. Not everyone in the Claymore subforum engages in our monthly chapter discussions due to the nature of our discussions. If one were to look at our monthly discussions, it is hard for anyone to engage and even follow with all the topics, chapter specific or not, that we cover. Those who can only casually read the forum threads due to jobs, school, etc are faced with a daunting challenge just to keep up. This idea would be much friendlier to users and something everyone could perhaps contribute towards despite not having the time to read every single page just to be up to speed.

In short, this thread type would reward both casual and more dedicated users for participation. If I may also add the point that we have some walking encyclopedias around and this thread would engage our enthusiasm for the manga in a creative way.

edit: This may be more like a re-edit, but I would like the moderators to see that in the chapter 120 thread as well as previous threads we have had posters debate over characters specifically on the merits of their role and development in the story. These debates over Deneve vs Tabitha vs Yuma (the winner I might add) or Miria vs Claire have been persistent in my memory. Furthermore, these debates are independent of the chapter debates, yet they happen. The Survivor thread would give users the opportunity to have these discussion whilst not filling up the chapter threads with entirely different topics. Thus, also making the chapter threads more friendly to casual users.

Last edited by Nixl; 2011-11-09 at 16:33.
Old 2011-11-09, 23:28   Link #638
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Sorry too busy at the moment, can't type too much...

Anyways, the idea seems pretty interesting to select and cross out your less favorite chars via poll system, but I'm afraid if the mods will even accept it... Frankly, (no criticism aimed at you) I believe the first 2~3 weeks will pretty much "motivate" us to a certain point hoping to see our favorite chars winning the competition, but taking from the other side it's kinda meaningless to start a unique VS thread for only characters' preferences.

For example, let's assume I sincerly or out of curiosity vote for Jean for these last 3 weeks (I mean kicking the other chars out) and I luckily get 3 straight wins... It's kinda obvious for someone to get tired of it when you get to play and get the same results over and over always expecting your same favorite char to stand the last and get a title (or even waiting for others to win too because they haven't yet). I know its means might be different in some ways since this is all about crossing out the "most detestable" ones (Like Tabitha or Dauf being the only expendables at there very first rounds ) and avoid your favorite chars gettin wiped off, but I still think this makes no much difference from that of any typical character poll thread we already have left very dead unless a new member/fan of Claymore decides to share his thoughts with us.

Though as personal POV, I love the idea to start a new thread to once again cool our minds bringing back the forgotten warriors into discussion, and I believe we could organize a fine debate comparing there stats to those of current gens without worrying about overlapping with chapter discussions excluding any off-topics to focus more on current chap events like Nixl said (and probably the best pros would be that we'd stop arguing about TvP if we had this "VS" thread which involves all characters )

Anyways, we do have pros and cons. And I can be too critical when it comes to this type of discussions even though I approve of it, so don't take it too personally Man, can't recall exactly where (guessing MangaHelpers forum), but I just remembered some ppl went crazy starting VS threads every week almost like insulting eachother as it were usual
Old 2011-11-10, 08:43   Link #639
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

It does seem like fun idea Gooral -- if nothing else, it would bring some spark back to this forum which has only lost it's energy and enthusiasm more and more overtime; even in 2009, the excitement and fun of this place still wasn't on par with two years earlier when the anime was airing. People have come and gone, the fun social threads have all been pushed back to oblivion, and now, it's a miracle if anybody posts anywhere but the monthly chapter thread and/or the image thread.

That's something that needs changing, and I don't think it's necessarily because, even though it's taken a long time, people have eventually gotten bored of Claymore and/or of this place - It may tie into what Nixl said in that the monthly thread is too overwhelming for casual people, so they stay aside, while the long-timers eventually move on from this place, resulting in this stagnation....whatever the case is, a simple game-thread like this may be the spark to reignite some good ol' fashioned fun and, with any luck, all the other previous threads that have mountains of dust at this point.

Edit - it's also interesting in that the game won't just be based on popularity, but on whatever theme we choose; for example, recently in the chapter thread, we, once again, had a discussion on who we think would best serve as the Ghosts new leader in place of Miria -- alot of interesting ideas came out of it, but in a sense, it was bogged down by what was going on in the story itself. As Nixl said, having it seperate would be better as the game won't overlap with the current events of the story, but more light-hearted "what if" -- that, regardless of what is actually happening in the story, had Miria died, who would be best to replace her?

Alot of themes and interesting discussion could be brought out from this, so it won't necessarily just be a polling contest to see who is more popular, more this, more that.

Last edited by Shiek927; 2011-11-10 at 12:25.
Old 2011-11-14, 01:12   Link #640
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
This may sound like a terrible idea compared to Gooral's interesting suggestion, but it'll require a lot less work... how about a Claymore re-watch thread?

I noticed the ancient and practically unused episode threads and thought this could be a great way to make use of them. The re-watch thread will exist solely for establishing the viewing schedule and providing links to the individual episode threads, where the actual discussions will take place.

As for the title for the thread, I'll leave that up to someone else with more imagination - unless Let's Re-watch Claymore is adequate.

Edit: For anyone who doesn't have the DVDs, all episodes are available on Netflix instant watch (as a legal alternative.)

Last edited by Falcor; 2011-11-14 at 13:42.
Closed Thread