AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-26, 13:49   Link #41
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
The most drained resource that concerns me is FISH. EARTH NEEDS MORE FISH. D:

I'm sure by the time we're out of fossil fuels, we'll be all living in a shitty 3rd world environment until everything is converted to renewable solar/wind/hydro energy.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 14:29   Link #42
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Is it wrong for me to think that maybe someday, we'll be living like how Gundam did in the future?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 18:01   Link #43
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Ice, by definition, is frozen water.
Over here maybe, but the only thing you'll be hard pressed finding in frozen form in space is helium
Old 2012-04-26, 18:37   Link #44
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Most thing cannot be defined as Ice. Even the Volatiles that are sometimes call "ices" have a melting point higher than 100 Kelvin (whcih leaves off Helium for sure). Ice is a specific word.

I am basing of the general distribution of water in the solar system, and that it can be used to produce Oxygen and Hydrogen fairly easily.

Cost for dstibution is entirely based on who can get it and what one is willing to pay for it.

Though they will need Nitrogen as well since the air we breath is not 100% Oxygen.

Simly put, the more things humans need for survival that we can get from other bodies in the solar system are less things we need to try to take away from Earth. Also the less stuff we need to take from Earth the less energy we waste trying to break that much mass out of our own gravity field.

In return, we can bring back stuff we either don't have on this planet, or things we have in low quanities on this planet. While a large surge of certain things will certainly drop their market prices, making some thing no longer rare means that they can be used more commonly in techology and could potentally solve some of out problems just because whatever it is can do something we need, but we don't have enough of it to make whatever it is practical.

Like say daimonds (to use a A.C. Clark analogy). The concept of the Space Elevator is grand but we still don't have the tech to make it work. What if we used daimonds? Well we can't because that would be expensive as hell and we have no were need enough to make daimond hard tube, or whatever it was that was needed to make it work. Find a daimond in space the size of a mountain, and that isn't a problem anymore. The price of daimonds goes the hell, but you can make your tech now.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-26 at 20:18.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 19:48   Link #45
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

As a matter of fact, don't we only have to find a way to tap into Europa to get all the water we could possibly need?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 19:50   Link #46
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
As a matter of fact, don't we only have to find a way to tap into Europa to get all the water we could possibly need?
The Polar Region on the moon and if certain theories is right, underground Mars as well would provide plenty of water.
Old 2012-04-26, 20:28   Link #47
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If scientists think there is enough ice on the Moon to power spacecraft, there should be more that enough to provide drinking water and thus the means to generate Oxygen for the relatively few people that will be out in space in the near future.

If they can produce a viable greenhouse structure on Mars, there should be enough water there to grow plants (assuming the mineral content of the soil is, or can be made good enough to grow plants). With the production of plantlife, the cycles we enjoy here can be reproduced (even if it is only in greenhouses) to maintain an oxygen cycle. In theory, we could eventually Terraform Mars to make it more inhabitable for our species. It may not be as inviting as Earth (it cetainly won't be a massive beach resort planet as I doubt we can ever viably get temperatures there much higher than zero degrees Centigrade), but it will be a start. Plus it might be a place were the "greenhouse gasses" types of polutions are encouraged in an effort to thicken the atmosphere and perhaps make the planet warmer and more inhabitable. Means it might be suited as a factory planet (though you would still need to figure out how to get all the "cheap" labor up there).
Old 2012-04-26, 20:37   Link #48
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Terraforming planets with suitable resources -- I think it's definitely possible in some sci-fi tech scenario several generations down the road. If it were to ever happen, though, the testing period would have to be extremely rigorous and perfected before any attempts at colonization. The results could be terrifyingly disastrous otherwise.

You'd also need to adjust the gravity within your 'biodome' somehow, as we know from extended stays in space by astronauts muscles can weaken significantly in reduced gravity settings, and you'd have to be Son Goku to survive high gravity, of course
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 20:55   Link #49
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All these things take steps to complete. The hardest part is the first steps...as in taking them at all.

It was looking for a few years there like we might not take any more steps. Thus the news of private ventures to mine asteroids seems important, as some of that tech well make other steps even more viable as, not only will the techology have been proven by the mining ventures, but the materials will be easier to get for contruction projects. You'd just need to get the machines to build things into Orbit (and then maybe to the Moon or Mars were there is at least some gravity) because the materials can be delivered much cheaper than if they were forced to send them form Earth all the time.

As for gravity in your "biodome". The human body seems to be able to adapt to low gravity, and perhaps with some training slightly higher gravity. It just has massive problems with zero gravity. It is likely those who would live on Mars might never be able to live on Earth again for long periods of time (or at least not without some time to prepare), as Mars gravity is a little over a third of Earth's gravity. Those on the Moon more so as it is only around a sixth of Earths gravity. But that is more than anything they got on the ISS or any present day spacecraft.
Old 2012-04-27, 12:43   Link #50
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Most thing cannot be defined as Ice. Even the Volatiles that are sometimes call "ices" have a melting point higher than 100 Kelvin (whcih leaves off Helium for sure). Ice is a specific word.
Oh yes you are correct I failed to recognize the definition,

But still not everything frozen in space is water
Old 2012-04-27, 18:21   Link #51
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Wasn't there talk about the super-light-super-strong nano tubes/carbon fibers/whatchamacallit as the material to build our space elevator with?
Old 2012-04-27, 18:29   Link #52
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Wasn't there talk about the super-light-super-strong nano tubes/carbon fibers/whatchamacallit as the material to build our space elevator with?
That is another better option I can think of. But after watching Gundam00, I doubt I'll agree if one will be built just next to my house.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 18:43   Link #53
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Carbon nanotubes? Yeah, turns out there was some flaw in them, IIRC, that prevented us from using them currently. Brittleness, I believe.
Old 2012-04-29, 04:11   Link #54
Jaden

The scale is the current problem with them... Sure you can make nanotubes easily enough and they withstand anything, but they come in tiny pieces with varying lengths. You can't make proper building blocks to a massive structure from that. I still think a space elevator is necessary at some point though...bringing another point: if every vessel is going to stop on Mars for grabbing water and other resources, what's the point of the space elevator? Unless there's another one on Mars.

Oh, and because of the way our planet moves, the most convenient place to construct a space elevator is on the equator. And because it'd be bad to have it in some country's territory or near populated areas, an artificial island somewhere on the oceans would be the best spot. So I wouldn't worry too much about it going up near your backyard.

One crazy vision I have for the future is some immensely rich corporation building such an island and making a space elevator, then using the control over it to put up tons of orbital WMDs and essentially take over the world.

Last edited by Jaden; 2012-04-29 at 04:21.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote