AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-02-26, 00:39   Link #21
Lanimoo
Disabled By Request

Talking

i don't die my hair or anything... however I was a ninja for halloween!!! the first time I ever dressed up!

otherwise... I could careless about cosplaying... but I do take the emotions portrayed in anime seriously.... kinda like Big Fish... I live in my own reality ^_^
Lanimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 00:57   Link #22
Arkzein
Veritas Vincet

I take it as seriously as I do my other passtimes I guess, in that it eats up a good proportion of my income, I have strong views one way or the other one certain aspects/genres/series (though not to the extent that I'll lose any sleep over them or get riled up in any great way, that wouldn't be in my rather passive nature) and that I get emotionally involed enough to cry, laugh until my sides split or really dislike some characters.

As for the cosplay side of things, I'm an extreme perfectionist so haven't dared venture down that road yet. I'm planning on seeing a custom tailor when I begin university and getting myself a white suit/full length overcoat made. (ala DR. Muraki from yami no Matsuei) which will probably approach the £1000 mark, Changing my hair colour to platium blonde shouldn't be too hard (even if it is far too long for the character) though it's one of the few colours I haven't tried so may not suit me and I allready have various coloured contacts. It should be "functional cosplay" though, as in I'll be able to walk around in it and, while standing out rather a lot, not be completely outside the realm of "normal" fashion. (says the man with a pair of Bondage Jeans )

Anime influencing your life decisions though, that's a new area I haven't explored, I guess everything you see, hear, read etc. influences you in some way, and I do believe I've become somewhat more open emotionally since I discovered a few great series. (being a man living in rural Northern Ireland I'd never looked at anything vaguely romantic until I began to sample anime) though that would be more of a discovery than a change, it has left me somewhat happier though. Over and above that it inspired a few changes in my writing style (I seem to have a fixation on angels now as opposed to the other fantastical characters out there) and led me to attempt to pick up the cello once more I believe. (I can't place any other influence on that than falling in love with a few poetic/renaissance-esque bishounen that I would like to aspire to in life)

Ah, seems I must have thought about this more deeply than I first realised, odd the journey you can take when simply writing a short reply, though as not to make me seem like I'm obessing, I could go into similar depth if I spoke about my other main interests. (there simply aren't enough hours in a day for all that I wish to do *sigh*)
Arkzein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 01:38   Link #23
Umbrae
Generic Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon The Cat
I'm serious with anime as a hobby, and I like to talk about it, but I wouldn't go as far as cosplaying or trying to fly . I prefer to keep fantasy from reality.

*the school girls don't want me to take their panties*

See?! It works!

LIES ALL LIES!!! (j/k)

Actualy I don't take it that seriously. I am planning on cosplaying at anime expo in CA, but I also don't like to dishonor characters. since Thier is not character I could realy play well I am going to simply dress up in a standard uniform from an anime, but not as a specific character.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 07:55   Link #24
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Well.. Your question seems to be "Are you obsessed with anime and are you obsessed with Japanese culture after watching a lot of anime?" Well.. I don't think I'm obsessed with Japanese culture. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese music, and I don't like Japanese food that much. Yes, I have cosplayed before.. Yes, I wish I looked like an anime character. Yes, the way I dress is sometimes inspired by anime characters. However, I don't go out of my way just to do things that anime characters do.. By example, I'm not going to buy natto just because I've seen an anime character eat it.. I'm not going to learn a martial art because I've seen characters do it. I'm definitely not into bishounen or anime guys, as opposite to many fan girls I've known... [ I'm more into realistic looking guys. x.x; And I don't like skinny guys either.. ] I don't really see anything wrong with being obsessed with anime and doing something because you've seen it in anime, though. As long as it's something you like, and it doesn't hurt anyone.. [ don't stalk a Japanese school girl! :P Just kidding.. ]

But since I'm a fantasy oriented person and a day dreamer.. ^^; Anime does affect my imagination. I admit it. But it's like anything else. Movies and video games do it too. Anime just has something special about it. I guess it's because there's so much more series. Anime does affect my reality, but it's not my reality. My reality is made of a lot of things.. I don't try to be Japanese or to live like an anime character.

If I interpret the question my own way, I'm going to think it means "Do you take anime series seriously?" I don't know about that. Like someone else said, I take anime series seriously when it's meant to be taken seriously. If it's a humoristic series or a very light hearted, I have no reason to take it seriously and worry about small details... I mean, by example, I don't have any problem with fan service in a comedy or a light hearted series.. But it might annoy me if it came out of context in a very serious series. A lot of anime series seem to be saying "don't take me TOO seriously!" if you see what you mean. Which is one thing I actually like about anime. The manga artists do include their opinions about life in general and their beliefs in anime. However, it's much more subtle than in American movies. They aren't trying to shock you into believing what they believe usually.

About dying your hair to look like an anime character.. ^^;; What's so bad about that? I've considered it.. @_@; I wanted to try dying my hair pink to see if it would look cute. But I don't have the guts to do it. I'm too scared it won't look good...
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 11:31   Link #25
Motoko
オウーアー おあう

Send a message via AIM to Motoko Send a message via MSN to Motoko
What is cosplay? I just watch anime becaus I want to get away from the real world and pretend im in another heh
Motoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-26, 12:11   Link #26
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoko
What is cosplay?
cosplay is when you dress up as an anime character...sorta like wearing a costume on halloween....
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote