AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-26, 22:40   Link #61
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Ooo voice recoginition, I remember testing DragonDictate (I think that is what it is called), about 8 years ago. At first I thought I needed elocution lessons, but then every one of us was having the same problems. The funniest was one of the testers was doing his masters at the time and thought it was a great idea to write up his final year project with it. needless to say we didn't buy it
I think you mean Dragon Naturally Speaking. I heard that DNS is a lot better than the Vista built-in speech recognition. Anyways, I couldn't possibly care about a feature like that. Typing is faster, more silent, and it has a near zero percent probabilities of failure due to individual constraints (like accents and that sort of thing)

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 22:44   Link #62
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I think you mean Dragon Naturally Speaking. I heard that DNS is a lot better than the Vista built-in speech recognition. Anyways, I couldn't possibly care about a feature like that. Typing is faster, more silent, and it has a near zero percent probabilities of failure due to individual constraints (like accents and that sort of thing)
I remember that the guy who tried to write up his masters said it didn't pick up any of the swear words he was using, and people in his house said he was swearing at it a lot
Old 2007-05-27, 07:10   Link #63
Ending

Quote:
Because it might work better", perhaps?
That's just the thing: Linux does not work better than Windows. In fact, it consumes considerably more time to make it even work and god forbid if you get an error of any kind...

Guess why I know this for a fact? Because I'm that goddamn tech-support guy who has to know all the commands up-side-down and in reverse when the users get problems. In a university with 100-200 computers, it's Linux which is causing the most trouble while Windows works like a charm (even while encumbered by 10+ background programs). Just last week I had to install the newest Fedora to a computer class-room and 50% of the installations refused to work outright.

So yes, as it stands, I think WinXP is better than any of the other systems, be it Mac, Vista, or Linux. I have heard good things about Ubuntu, but I have yet to test it.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 07:45   Link #64
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Guess why I know this for a fact? Because I'm that goddamn tech-support guy who has to know all the commands up-side-down and in reverse when the users get problems. In a university with 100-200 computers, it's Linux which is causing the most trouble while Windows works like a charm (even while encumbered by 10+ background programs). Just last week I had to install the newest Fedora to a computer class-room and 50% of the installations refused to work outright.
Isn't it all about what the kit is used for? For example for a email/web browsing kiosk, nix >>>> XP, hell I could even drop the OS down via PXE and run it without HDDs. Ofc our 4 labs containing 200 media workstations designed to teach people Pinnicle etc would be hard pressed to run in nix , same with our several labs full of Macs for journalism... Our uni has over 5000 PCs with 26000 users

To be honest I would raise my eyebrow at any install process where you have 50% failure rate. XP, nix, apps, whatever... Good techie work is 99% in the implementation and 1% effort in the rollout.

I think I have just gone way off topic and the OP has already said that they are going to walk the path of the Vista!
Old 2007-05-27, 08:55   Link #65
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Must have had bad luck then (or be it the fault of the person who was installing them). So far I myself installed Linux (FC to be more precise) on about 8 computers (I know, not much but it shows a point) that passed through my household and neither of the installations failed. And you know why Windows is so easy to install? Because it only works on the x86/64 architecture so there is no need for the kernel to contain code for other architectures. If Windows fails to install on a system of that mentioned architecture then someone should really slap themselves and stick their head into a pit of sand.
Old 2007-05-27, 11:54   Link #66
Ending

Quote:
To be honest I would raise my eyebrow at any install process where you have 50% failure rate.
It was a smaller class, so there weren't too many computers. I simply found it funny how prone the installation process was to fail. For example: don't forget to leave the installation CD in the drive if you are doing a network install and aren't sure how the new version works with the vid.cards.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 12:17   Link #67
grey_moon

Quote:
It was a smaller class, so there weren't too many computers. I simply found it funny how prone the installation process was to fail. For example: don't forget to leave the installation CD in the drive if you are doing a network install and aren't sure how the new version works with the vid.cards.
Fair point, although if it was a teaching class then I would have pushed for the install to be in a virtual environment. You can then easily lock down network access and revert any changes done by the student. Do one install and then copy the image to all the others. It still scares me how academics insist that their students should be let loose on the network with root access to a nix box, dang it teach good security principles as well please!
Old 2007-05-27, 17:27   Link #68
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yes, we are going off-topic here, but still....

I've found Fedora to be one of the easiest-to-install distributions I've used. I've installed versions of Fedora Core from 1-6 on workstations, laptops, servers, you name it. I can't fathom how it could fail to install half the time, especially if we're talking about a classroom full of identical computers. I'd agree with grey_moon that after getting a successful install, the easiest solution is cloning all the drives (or using LTSP - see below). Getting the right video setup can be annoying at times, though usually not unless you need to use the proprietary drivers to get full 3D acceleration from nVidia or ATI cards. For ordinary 2D desktop work, the standard X.org drivers are fine.

In fact, in lab settings, I think the Linux Terminal Server approach makes the most sense since you have only one common image to manage. I have a couple of clients who are thinking about using this approach for all their standard workstation users (~250).

If you're having problems with the proprietary drivers, the easiest solution is to install support for the non-free repositories like Livna and use yum to install/upgrade.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vista, windows