AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-07-30, 00:30   Link #141
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

thanks for the answer, and i didnt really didnt wanted spoilers, it was just out of curiosity.
im glad that this doesnt have the washed color palette of nichijou nor the sepia paletta of hyouka, and i hope they drop the heavy orquestral BGM they have been having since the haruhi movie, but at least hyoka alreasy shows signs of that.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:30   Link #142
Warm Mist

Well, if you need a Kyoani anime to compare to this one in terms of looks, it's probably Clannad, since the two series share roughly the same staff in the visual department:

Character Design: Kazumi Ikeda
Art Director: Mutsuo Shinohara
Chief Animation Director: Kazumi Ikeda
Color design: Akiyo Takeda

Tone-wise, this doesn't seem like it can be as specifically compared to any other single Kyoani work. Maybe a combination of Clannad 1st season with Haruhi? I don't know, I didn't read the novels so I won't say much on this. Hanada is doing the series composition, so at the very least I expect the Chuunibyou aspect and any "serious but not so serious" moment to be well handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Do you diverisfy and do multiple works with varying styles of animation and overall staff composition at once or do you focus all your energies and funding into one.
While I see where you're coming from, I don't think people over at Kyoani aim for your second choice as objective. Of course that's what they've been doing since they started with animation production, but it's more of an obstacle to overcome due to the studio's smallness and limited personal on the past, and over time they're slowly expanding into more density of work.

The key philosophy of the studio is to do everything possible in-house and to always manage the highest quality they could've done for a given budget and product. This means their schedule is much stricter, and since they won't commit to hiring freelancers or working with other studios, the result is less works per year than other companies who don't mind mixing with each other.

I am really expecting to see divergences in their work in the upcoming years, even their staff seems to want something distinct.

Quote:
I've only ever found a couple Kyoani shows that I could say I've found exceptional or even interesting when it comes to the overall package to any degree.
This may be true for you and for many more people, but at the same time they've managed to secure a large and dedicated fanbase with the same model and work output. As you pointed out, the Kyoani fanbase can be pretty hardcore at times, and until Nichijou they had this reputation in the industry of being the be-all end-all animation studio which turned everything they touched into a resounding financial success.

Quote:
A-1 have garnered my attention fairly frequently with their more traditional multi-studio method of producing anime and just the sheer variety of interesting output of late.
A-1 (or Aniplex as a whole) are in my opinion one of the more interesting companies in the industry when it comes to their output. I don't know every single work of them, they may have forgettable series, but they seem much more daring than other companies like Kadokawa (coincidentally, Kadokawa is one of the two main partners of Kyoani, and the ones who decide which things they're going to adapt from them).
They obviously have a huge capital of money, seeing as they can throw high budgets at A-1 and get a well produced show or two almost every season. If smaller companies like Kyoani or P.A.Works were to try this, they would almost surely fail and become another mediocre producer, because they don't have the monetary resources Aniplex (and by extension, A-1) has.

I'm sorry for this long and off-topic post, seems like this discussion is more suited for the general Kyoto Animation thread, and not here. It'd be better if you respond me in that thread and we continue there instead of plaguing the Chuunibyou thread here.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 03:54   Link #143
sky black swordman

Has the Cast been announced yet?
Old 2012-07-30, 04:14   Link #144
suntaclaus

sky black swordman,
No.
suntaclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 11:30   Link #145
suntaclaus

I can't find chu-2 byo 's scan from Nyantype #34.
*zetsuboushita!!*
Is anyone has it?

Ps. Sorry for my english.
Old 2012-07-30, 17:40   Link #146
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
A-1 (or Aniplex as a whole) are in my opinion one of the more interesting companies in the industry when it comes to their output. I don't know every single work of them, they may have forgettable series, but they seem much more daring than other companies like Kadokawa (coincidentally, Kadokawa is one of the two main partners of Kyoani, and the ones who decide which things they're going to adapt from them).
They obviously have a huge capital of money, seeing as they can throw high budgets at A-1 and get a well produced show or two almost every season. If smaller companies like Kyoani or P.A.Works were to try this, they would almost surely fail and become another mediocre producer, because they don't have the monetary resources Aniplex (and by extension, A-1) has.
Aniplex is a division of Sony, so they probably have the largest war chest. Besides money, I'd say that their direct involvement in production (securing animation talent for shows) sets them apart from competitors.

By itself, A-1 Pictures is simply a workhorse with little sense of identity.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 19:49   Link #147
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

by beign a division of sony dont really gives them more budget, usually divisions in bussines are made so each one works separately, and in case of a crisis it dont bring the whole enterpise down, Aniplex has a high capital mainly for beign the biggest music label in japan(sony music entretainment in the past), they are now a multimedia company, and a good example of a division its how in the PSX days sony music entretainment published games apart from sony computer entretainment.
Old 2012-07-30, 21:37   Link #148
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntaclaus View Post
I can't find chu-2 byo 's scan from Nyantype #34.
*zetsuboushita!!*
Is anyone has it?

Ps. Sorry for my english.
It's just an article. The official site for Nyantype doesn't list it under pin-ups.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 23:32   Link #149
suntaclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It's just an article. The official site for Nyantype doesn't list it under pin-ups.
oh, thank you.
Old 2012-07-31, 06:35   Link #150
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I feel like I've been over this before, but they really aren't the only ones doing these things you mention and I don't know how limited a pool of shows people have to be watching to continue to get this idea. There are plenty of shows I can point too with equally or even super art/animation direction to a lot of what Kyoani puts out.
How about instead of saying you can, actually point them out? And is this a consistent thing for the studio or a 1 in fifty? Is it for tv series like KyoAni or for high budget OVA/Movies? KyoAni have done this year after year after year for every production, just because Studio X can do it in one show out of 20 in 5 years doesn't mean they've earned the right to be held in the same breath as KyoAni. Would be like saying James Harden deserves to be considered alongside Kobe lol. A lot of studios I've seen listed as "equals", frankly don't deserve it until they put more work in. I mean look @ P.A Works which was "supported" as a KyoAni equal for the last two years, horrible digital composition for Angel Beats, out of place and cheap 3DCGI background characters in True Tears and CANAAN, you just don't see that stuff in KyoAni works. Only thing KyoAni suck @ is CGI cars but that's been the case since Munto and it's not like everyone's fav studio of late UFOTABLE hasn't put out some turds in that regard. It's an industry wide problem...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 11:23   Link #151
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
How about instead of saying you can, actually point them out? And is this a consistent thing for the studio or a 1 in fifty? Is it for tv series like KyoAni or for high budget OVA/Movies? KyoAni have done this year after year after year for every production, just because Studio X can do it in one show out of 20 in 5 years doesn't mean they've earned the right to be held in the same breath as KyoAni. Would be like saying James Harden deserves to be considered alongside Kobe lol. A lot of studios I've seen listed as "equals", frankly don't deserve it until they put more work in. I mean look @ P.A Works which was "supported" as a KyoAni equal for the last two years, horrible digital composition for Angel Beats, out of place and cheap 3DCGI background characters in True Tears and CANAAN, you just don't see that stuff in KyoAni works. Only thing KyoAni suck @ is CGI cars but that's been the case since Munto and it's not like everyone's fav studio of late UFOTABLE hasn't put out some turds in that regard. It's an industry wide problem...
but Kyoani is perfect and forever pristine and nobody else measures up and they should all just quit trying is what you're trying to imply right.

No actually this sort of thing always slays me, it really does cause it's just so typical. Look I don't know if I can say other studios are as consistent, but then very few studios have the business model where their staff never changes and they focus all their energies on one show at a time so that everything always ends up looking kind of shiny but ultimately very similar. They don't even usually have the same directors and animation teams so much as what they can assemble, but you can usually get good art/animation direction out of them cause they usually hire pretty well. In this deparment I like Madhouse quite a bit.

I actually don't want this too get too far off topic though so I'm going to leave it at that.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 13:12   Link #152
ElCachicamo

Quote:
but Kyoani is perfect and forever pristine and nobody else measures up and they should all just quit trying is what you're trying to imply right.

No actually this sort of thing always slays me, it really does cause it's just so typical. Look I don't know if I can say other studios are as consistent, but then very few studios have the business model where their staff never changes and they focus all their energies on one show at a time so that everything always ends up looking kind of shiny but ultimately very similar. They don't even usually have the same directors and animation teams so much as what they can assemble, but you can usually get good art/animation direction out of them cause they usually hire pretty well. In this deparment I like Madhouse quite a bit.

I actually don't want this too get too far off topic though so I'm going to leave it at that.
Toshiyuki Inoue said it in an interview, Kyoani is the best right now. Inoue was the AD for Dennou Coil and that show is the best thing Madhouse have ever done in animation for a tv show, the people there were top tier animators and that's the reason behind the incredible high quality in that show but all of them were freelancers. Kyoani use in-house animators and they get better with each show, so the quality of the whole studio is constantly improving while studios like Madhouse are constantly struggling, the Marvel anime debacle is a good example of that.
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 13:33   Link #153
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Toshiyuki Inoue said it in an interview, Kyoani is the best right now. Inoue was the AD for Dennou Coil and that show is the best thing Madhouse have ever done in animation for a tv show, the people there were top tier animators and that's the reason behind the incredible high quality in that show but all of them were freelancers. Kyoani use in-house animators and they get better with each show, so the quality of the whole studio is constantly improving while studios like Madhouse are constantly struggling, the Marvel anime debacle is a good example of that.
Okay while this is nice and all and people love beating it into the cold hard ground I don't have to feel that way specifically. To be honest I agree with very little he said in that interview and I believe I made the comment that it sounds like he's looking for a job interview.

Anyway since I want this post to be somewhat on topic I'll say that I read the latest plot summary for this and it sounds very familiar again. Sarcastic know it all male lead can't help but get roped into the whims and quirks of eccentric cute girl thus disrupting his ordinary life. Kyoani really has favored that angle over the years it feels. Haruhi, Hyou-ka and now apparently this.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-31 at 14:19. Reason: edited to have at least something more on topic.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:27   Link #154
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
I take it you haven't seen MADHOUSE's Hunter x Hunter. It's a long-running series but has great animation throughout its run, so far. The already great animation goes up notch whenever there's a fight. It goes from "great" to "godly". No kidding here.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:40   Link #155
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Okay, let's get back to the topic at hand, namely Chūni-byō Demo Koi Shitai!. If anyone feels the need to discuss Kyoto Animation itself, we do have a thread for that.

For the foreseeable future, studio discussion will be considered off-topic and will be deleted on sight.

Thank you.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 22:45   Link #156
rulfo

nonsense... every thread of kyoani/key shows is a general kyoani thread since I think everyone of us is lazy to click and dump our rants heated intellectual discussions in that war-torn hostile civil and democratic thread. :P

j/k

Anyway, thanks for the translations for those scans. I wonder what they'll insert here. That anime original character's description was full of what and it's like Hyouka all over again. Looking forward to seeing a PV soon enough.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 23:03   Link #157
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well except there won't be ranting about "when is Little Busters coming out"...since that comes out in October.
Old 2012-07-31, 23:24   Link #158
Warm Mist

The one singular thing I'm expecting out of Chuunibyou is good animation, especially since the premise allows it. They can do the ever improving low key realistic character acting they're known for, and they can go all out in the chuuni delusions of the characters by presenting their imagined "battle shounen" world.

I don't know how many budget and volition Kyoani will put on this, but I'm hoping for good sequences, since the overall visual aspects (besides the potentially good frame animation) don't look like they will be anything new or daring, and I've already seen this staff together many times in Key adaptions.

That said, I'm also hoping (although with more caution) for the original segments to be well scripted, so that I can see how the studio manages these things on their own, since I've always wanted Kyoani to make an anime original (Munto doesn't count). Perhaps if this is a success they will be less scared of doing an original (maybe for TBS?).

Anyway, I'm not really having high expectations of the comedy parts or the romance in general, but at the very least I hope for enjoyable characters.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 23:32   Link #159
rulfo

Well we surely are gonna get those scenes. Unless... the site is misleading us.

What I'm curious about is what surprise is Ishihara talking about. If it's just references, then that wouldn't really count as a surprise for me.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 08:15   Link #160
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
~~ Anyway, I'm not really having high expectations of the comedy parts or the romance in general, but at the very least I hope for enjoyable characters.
Why not? Comedy is one of their fortes. Unless you happen to dislike straight-man humour, it has been one of their more consistent touches. When it comes to Manzai, KyoAni is one of the best.

Cheers.

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen