5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.50%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.87%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-02-17, 14:48   Link #201
Crebstar

I really liked this episode a lot. I gave it a 10/10 mainly because I have been waiting for this episode for forever. The begining and the BGM were the highlights for me. I don't think the begining gave out any big spoilers. But, it makes me rethink a certain theory about who the main villian of Naruto is.... Oh well can't wait for another episode.
Crebstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 15:31   Link #202
Kittycountess

I enjoyed the emphasis on nostalgia and especially on missing Sasuke. It kind of tied the feelings of the characters to the audience's feelings. Weren't we all bored out of our minds during the fillers and didn't this episode give us all a nostalgic feeling of being back to the good old days of quality Naruto?

Here's a question that popped into my head: Did they imply that Garaa became Kazekage straight from Genin or do you think he just went through the stages very fast?
Kittycountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 16:07   Link #203
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycountess View Post
Here's a question that popped into my head: Did they imply that Garaa became Kazekage straight from Genin or do you think he just went through the stages very fast?
This is something that wasn't made clear, or at least, for me it wasn't. We know for certain that Gaara's father was killed by the delectable Oro-sama. When Gaara returned to his village, he probably inheirted the position of the Kazekage. Just because Konoha has a selection process for the Kage position, there is no reason to think every other village also follow the same process for selection. It should also be noted, Gaara is no ordinary genin. So, in my humble opinion, he had to take on the burden of Kage since the people around him felt there are no better candidate than Gaara himself. Hence, he is most likely one of those rarest of Genin who became a Kage without having to follow the norm. Surely, he isn't the first ever Genin to become a Kage in the Narutoverse!?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 16:09   Link #204
Theowne
耳をすませば

I also liked the emphasis on the nostalgia. When Naruto thought back to the Chuunin exam, I could also see a slightly younger version of myself a few years ago coming home full of suspense of what would happen in the forest, or if Naruto would beat Kiba. Aw, I'm getting all nostalgic...

I don't think this episode was bad, I felt that it really didn't do anything I didn't expect it to do. I don't really know if it's possible for Naruto to return to the kind of series it was way back when, but at least the story is back on track, even if I feel the story onwards from this point pales in comparison to what has already happened.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 16:24   Link #205
poopies69

omg dude sasuke looks freakin godly. Is he really that strnog the way he looks refering the manga? cause it looked liek he would pwn the ninetails.
poopies69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 17:08   Link #206
MDale
Me

I thought the Double-Episode was very good, definitely sparked my interest and didn't dissapoint. Opened straight to the point with the stuff regarding Sasuke, although it left a few too many questions for my liking (namely who the other two people were), but definaitely fit the intro well.

As others mentioned, nostalgia was well-used. Once again though, straight to the point with Akatsuki being the focus and they've already made it clear who the target is.

One thing that struck me immediately was the soundtrack, I look forward to the next Naruto OST as the music that was used throughout the episodes was very good.

The only thing I didn't like were the little "present" segments, in my opinion they took away from the over-all mood of the episode. I'm all for a little humour (and did find some of it humourous) but it interfered too much with the episode for my liking. I hold a bit of indifference to the use of Konohamaru, if they intend for Konohamaru and his team to become a focus during this series then I'm okay with it but if not it seemed wasted, personally I was much more interested in seeing the rest of the Rookie 9 (well 7 discounting Naruto and Sasuke) and Team Guy than Konohamaru's team.

Over-all for me I gave it an 8, the episode definitely held my interest and had me looking forward to the rest of the series, wasn't a dissapointment at all.
MDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 17:13   Link #207
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese no koma View Post
after watching the episodes from several angles, i've come to one conclusion- sasuke does not have a pair of nipples.
maybe it's not cold enough
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 17:21   Link #208
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
This is something that wasn't made clear, or at least, for me it wasn't. We know for certain that Gaara's father was killed by the delectable Oro-sama. When Gaara returned to his village, he probably inheirted the position of the Kazekage.
I don't think Kage is an inherited status if that was the case Gaara would have been the Kazekage during the Save Sasuke arc already.
He probably became Chuunin like the others then Jounin like Kankurou, Temari and Neji and then the Kazekage as the strongest ninja in his village.
Or he may have skipped a few ranks because he was just that good ^^
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 18:08   Link #209
majin_vegeta

I liked the episode alot. I follow the manga and I am pleased with how the changes the anime team made. They may have actually made it better. My only complaint is the ladies. I don't feel like the women are being drawn as hot as they should be. They looked way better when they were younger. I guess it is a give and take. Everything can't be perfect.
majin_vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 18:15   Link #210
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I don't think Kage is an inherited status if that was the case Gaara would have been the Kazekage during the Save Sasuke arc already.
That's a good point. One of the things that were mentioned at the beginning of the anime is that a Kage is the strongest ninja in a village. I still don't think Gaara had to go through the usual process of climb-the-ranking before he became a Kage due to crisis his village was under. Perhaps, they were still sorting out the mess after the demise of the previous Kazekage. They also sent the best of their village in the Sasuke-arc to show good gesture to make ammends for their hands in attacking Konoha by making the likes of Gaara, their soon-to-be Kage, expendable.

Quote:
Or, because one doesn't want to win an argument against a man who has developed this nice philosophy called,
I kill people because it confirms my existence. Give me Kage, or give me blood.
Or, Gaara changed so much after he came back from the Save-Sasuke mission that the selection committee made their decision right away once they witnessed this new transformation. Take a peek if you dare..

Spoiler for danger! very graphic:

The rest is history as we know.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 18:49   Link #211
I love waffles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Quick one...
In the Episode when Sasuke was addressing Sakura and Naruto.
The "ka" in "Sakura ka", as he said it, and "Naruto ka", is that a formal or informal version of addressing the expression?
Putting "ka" at the end of a sentence makes it into a question. So "Sakura ka" is "Sakura?".
I love waffles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 18:54   Link #212
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDale View Post
The only thing I didn't like were the little "present" segments, in my opinion they took away from the over-all mood of the episode. I'm all for a little humour (and did find some of it humourous) but it interfered too much with the episode for my liking. I hold a bit of indifference to the use of Konohamaru, if they intend for Konohamaru and his team to become a focus during this series then I'm okay with it but if not it seemed wasted, personally I was much more interested in seeing the rest of the Rookie 9 (well 7 discounting Naruto and Sasuke) and Team Guy than Konohamaru's team.
We'll have to see what happens to Konohamaru and other little ninjas in the future. Who knows if we'll have another timeskip and those kids become the new heroes? lol

Anyway, I thought the inbetweener segments were great. I thought the episodes were getting too dark and the newer Naruto episodes don't leave a whole lot of room for the oldschool Naruto antics. I actually think it would be better if we see some more comedic inserts like those.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 18:59   Link #213
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
He probably became Chuunin like the others then Jounin like Kankurou, Temari and Neji and then the Kazekage as the strongest ninja in his village.
Well the thing about becoming Kage is that the only real requirments are strength and leadership... no it was never stated that a ninja MUST be a jounin first... however, becoming Chunin and Jounin is a damn good way for you to prove your strength both physcially and mentally... the ranks are more like just proof of strength and ability, nothing more

However, when it comes to Garra, no one questioned his strength, afterall, they have been trying to kill him every since he was a kid and he survived (really, if he wasn't the strongest then he would be dead by now)... really the only thing they could question is his abilities as a leader (grant it, it may depend on the village, sand might consider stength far more than leadership)
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 20:01   Link #214
tramadrama
Jaice Novak's Disciple

What is the rating of Naruto Shippuden? Is it still geared towards the same age group as the original Naruto?
tramadrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 20:44   Link #215
Kittycountess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
becoming Chunin and Jounin is a damn good way for you to prove your strength both physcially and mentally... the ranks are more like just proof of strength and ability, nothing more
It struck me as odd during the Chunin exam arc how ruthlessly they cut people. Of all the applicants that were there only 9 were chosen as finalists and of those, only one (Shikamaru) became Chunin. I kept wondering, if that was to be the process for every Chunin exam then most of those kids wouldn't be making it until they were way into their 40s. It surprised me to see all of them getting ranks in 2 and half years. Should we call this a lack of continuity in Kishimoto's story or was the one Chunin exam we were shown for some reason different from the rest of them?
Kittycountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 21:49   Link #216
Mordin145

Great eps, the bgm just pumps me up to the story, a wonderful start to the new series. I have one question regarding Sakura's gloves, she wears them for the bell test, I don't remember she ever use gloves in any of her fights before.
Mordin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 21:52   Link #217
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
Quote:
It struck me as odd during the Chunin exam arc how ruthlessly they cut people. Of all the applicants that were there only 9 were chosen as finalists and of those, only one (Shikamaru) became Chunin. I kept wondering, if that was to be the process for every Chunin exam then most of those kids wouldn't be making it until they were way into their 40s. It surprised me to see all of them getting ranks in 2 and half years. Should we call this a lack of continuity in Kishimoto's story or was the one Chunin exam we were shown for some reason different from the rest of them?
Just goes to show the talent of Naruto's generation. In the Sasuke retrieval arc, they faced off with the Sound 5 and held their ground as genin.
kikko_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 22:46   Link #218
EoT
~~

I've re watched the beginning sequence of the episode, and the starting really does make it seem really realistic. When Naruto is running towards Sakura outside, it feels like it's actually going to happen.

Let's hope this animation quality continues because I am simply amazed at the music they have used and the animation.
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-17, 22:52   Link #219
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Holy crap, I stopped watching the Naruto anime a long time ago.

Damn, how long has it been?

Anyway, I sat down to watch Shippuden.

This is exactly what the series needed. I love the new musical compositions. It seems they are more somber and meant for movie productions. I know the OST won't be coming out for awhile but I'm going to buy it! I've been keeping up with the manga somewhat but I might quit reading it and just watch the series if this level of quality is continually shown.
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 01:06   Link #220
Slayerx

Quote:
Well, one thing to take into consideration is if each of the villages use similar Chunin exams, seeing as kohona i believe isn't the only one who hosts them... If they are different then we can guess at the possibility that the exams in other villages may have a more lenient policy when it comes to promoting Chunin...

However, if They do have similar selection process, then one thing we should keep in mind that of the 9 selected for the end fight don't have to actually win their fights to get promoted... in thoery all 9 contestants could be promoted... work that out to 2 exams a year and then you have a 0-18 promotions a year from all of the villages... 2.5 years of time gives you 0-45 possible promotions

But overall... i think you might be a bit right on continuity... in each of the villages have a very generous portion of ninjas... at the rate it takes them to become genin/chunin/jounin, it doesn't seem like it works out all that well... it just seems a tad too strict... too few becoming a ninjas at too slow a pace, not to mention the occasial deaths... especially when you consider how many ninjas can die during a war, it just seems like the promotion process is a bit slow to make up the numbers
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote