Notices

Old 2009-04-23, 11:22   Link #201
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Is it just me or are some of the uploaded subbed episodes corrupted? Shiki's episode 1 and 3 files from mininova had horribly corrupted skipping sound and video as if the compression was botched. Only the subbed episode 2 was working at any level, I ended up watching Central Anime's episode 1 work and I have yet to watch episode 3 because I can't find any working files.
We are currently working on #3 which is why it isn't up yet.
Old 2009-04-23, 14:43   Link #202
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by superknuckle
I have a feeling I might not like that brat of a male lead in this show. I know the mangaka is known for great storytelling, but damn that kid is just not likable. He's more of a sportswear salesman than anything..
That's the same reason why Aoba doesn't like him. It's annoying when talented people at certain things pretend not to like the thing in question s/he is naturally good at. Episode 3, on the other hand, starts to make his character look a little better in several ways. Even if he wasn't motivated to play the game before, (which I think was a convenient excuse on his part considering he had been going to the batting center since he was 3 years old), he has inherited Wakaba's wish, and has been trying to make himself better for the past 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I don't think episode 3 has any real subbed releases, yet...
Watched their release as well for episode 3. As far as translation/editing is concerned, there is a significant improvement compare to their version of episode 2. If a fan doesn't care much for encoding and other stuff, s/he can give it a watch without waiting and get the groups that are well rounded overall later on.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 15:16   Link #203
Jin and Toanic
Vide supra
*Fansubber

Central, ANBU, and MJN are quality groups whose products should make any fansub viewer happy.

>_> Maybe not speed-wise though...
Jin and Toanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 16:52   Link #204
mit7059

I actually wish MJN hadn't picked this up. I'm want major releases...

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 18:37   Link #205
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Koh not likeable and a brat wut? I you sure your not confusing him with Goro from Major?
I don't know.. they both don't really act very natural for kids their age IMO. Goro is just plain out obsessive compulsive as far as baseball is concerned. He's borderline hopeless. And Ko seems to be on the opposite end. He has the skills, but is too laid back about it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 20:00   Link #206
The Stig
The Stig

Think this series ever gets a chance at having its own category, for lack of a better word, in the current series area?

What surprises me of this manga/anime is its sports themed without being sports based. Baseball is used more as of a plot device than being the center of it all. Just look at the first few episodes, the sum of all the baseball action probably amounts to 20% of the air time. Anime News Network says 13 episodes, but I really don't see how that's going to work. There's alot of places they could probably end the season at, hopefully it gets extended. Lastly I think the "old school" animation and character designs put alot of people off from this series and admittingly I was one of them. Thankfully I gave this series a chance, and in turn it rewarded me with a day of school work wasted.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 20:29   Link #207
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Think this series ever gets a chance at having its own category, for lack of a better word, in the current series area?

What surprises me of this manga/anime is its sports themed without being sports based. Baseball is used more as of a plot device than being the center of it all. Just look at the first few episodes, the sum of all the baseball action probably amounts to 20% of the air time. Anime News Network says 13 episodes, but I really don't see how that's going to work. There's alot of places they could probably end the season at, hopefully it gets extended. Lastly I think the "old school" animation and character designs put alot of people off from this series and admittingly I was one of them. Thankfully I gave this series a chance, and in turn it rewarded me with a day of school work wasted.
you didn't read the previous discussion about ANN. They always write 13 episodes for new series when they don't know the total number of episodes. The trick for ANN count of episodes is that they say "WE have 13 episodes".
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 21:26   Link #208
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I wasn't actually criticizing CA's work, just saying that Shiki's doing a botched job with the files floating around the net.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 02:37   Link #209
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I love this series. When you're bold enough to open with a tragedy, you have the story at your grasp. Mitsuru Adachi also has, at least for me, a great batting average. Hiatari Ryoukou, Touch - all are awesome.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 02:52   Link #210
lixuelai

Lol I dont think many if any mangaka has a higher batting average. Rumiko Takahashi maybe.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 03:29   Link #211
Westlo
Lets be reality

Pretty much no chance of a sub forum "The Stig".

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
you didn't read the previous discussion about ANN. They always write 13 episodes for new series when they don't know the total number of episodes. The trick for ANN count of episodes is that they say "WE have 13 episodes".
They really should just remove that since it's just confusing for the majority of people.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 07:48   Link #212
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2

Another episode filled with positive signs for the future. It's a seemingly simple story and I think it's fairly obvious where it's going, but the amount of depth could potentially be huge because of the sad history shared by the characters. It just adds another dimension to the various dynamics between the characters. There is this strong feeling of sadness about this anime... it's understated, but there's an appropriate emptiness about how the characters go about expressing their emotions, particularly when Wakaba is brought up.

Aoba is so tsundere. Sometimes people act like tsundere-ism is a new thing in anime. It's not. It's been around for at least twenty-five years. I'm not sure how old Cross Game is, but as we know, Adachi has been writing manga for close to a million years now, and, even though this is the first Adachi-based anime I've seen, considering that a lot of his stories revolved around love polygons I'd be highly surprised if Aoba was the first tsundere that Adachi has ever penned.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 10:17   Link #213
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Aoba is so tsundere. Sometimes people act like tsundere-ism is a new thing in anime. It's not. It's been around for at least twenty-five years. I'm not sure how old Cross Game is, but as we know, Adachi has been writing manga for close to a million years now, and, even though this is the first Adachi-based anime I've seen, considering that a lot of his stories revolved around love polygons I'd be highly surprised if Aoba was the first tsundere that Adachi has ever penned.
Aoba is the first one that goes as far as saying she hate the guy. From all of Adachi works the girl didn't hate the guy at all. now tomboy is another thing, there have been lots of tomboys. The thing with Aoba is that she NEVER shows her Dare side to Koh, Koh knows of her Dere side by what other people tell him thus why he has a hard time believing it. I think Wakaba understood that Aoba was tsundere from early on, thus why she was clear about Koh belonging to her very early on.

the closer I would think a girl could be called Tsundere in another Adashi work was hikari from H2, and that was not really Tsundere, she was always trying to put distance between herself and Hiro.
Old 2009-04-25, 04:43   Link #214
Undertaker

Quote:
Ep 2
Another episode filled with positive signs for the future. It's a seemingly simple story and I think it's fairly obvious where it's going, but the amount of depth could potentially be huge because of the sad history shared by the characters. It just adds another dimension to the various dynamics between the characters. There is this strong feeling of sadness about this anime... it's understated, but there's an appropriate emptiness about how the characters go about expressing their emotions, particularly when Wakaba is brought up.

Cross Game is Adaichi's newest work, it started in '05.

Depth of the story had alwasys been the stong point in Adaichi's work, while the setting has always been pretty ordinary, it's the emotions his characters shows and the relationships between them that made him household name and have his work adapted to other media more than any other mangaka that I remeber.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Aoba is the first one that goes as far as saying she hate the guy. From all of Adachi works the girl didn't hate the guy at all. now tomboy is another thing, there have been lots of tomboys. The thing with Aoba is that she NEVER shows her Dare side to Koh, Koh knows of her Dere side by what other people tell him thus why he has a hard time believing it. I think Wakaba understood that Aoba was tsundere from early on, thus why she was clear about Koh belonging to her very early on.

the closer I would think a girl could be called Tsundere in another Adashi work was hikari from H2, and that was not really Tsundere, she was always trying to put distance between herself and Hiro.
I won't say Aoba is the only Tsundere female lead Adaichi ever drawn.

I won't put Hikari from H2 as Tsundere since she is pretty nice toward everyone and never had the tough girl attitude.

But there are two main female lead I can think of with Tsundere quality that Adaichi had drawn, one is from ROUGH, the other is from KATSU. Especially Katsuki from KATSU, whom I think is more tsudere than Aoba as Aoba at least have couple of people that she interacts with on good terms.

Ami from ROUGH is very similar to Aoba in the way she treats the main character, she was good towards everyone except for the main character and calles him a "murderer", and even after she realized that she had started to like him, she still act pretty tough in front of the main character. Only difference being that Ami is still not as pure a tsudere as Aoba since she really doesn't have the tough exterior that Aoba has. (unless it's in front of the main character)

As for Katsuki from KATSU, she is more like Aoba in overall personality and is a more of a complete Tsundere as she is cold to everyone and doesn't care for what others think of him. Not to mention that towards the end of the series it was revealed that she was actually the one to fell for Katsuki (The male lead) first instead of the reverse only makes her even more of a tsundere.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 00:39   Link #215
The Stig
The Stig

this thread dropped to the bottom of the second page. Can't let that happen

It's currently 10:36 pm PST , or there abouts. Judging by the past few weeks of releases, chapter 138 (or 148, depending on what numbering you go by) should be out in the next 48 hours. Episode 4 should come out around the same time. I just noticed that, isn't that convenient.
Old 2009-04-26, 05:09   Link #216
apropervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
this thread dropped to the bottom of the second page. Can't let that happen

It's currently 10:36 pm PST , or there abouts. Judging by the past few weeks of releases, chapter 138 (or 148, depending on what numbering you go by) should be out in the next 48 hours. Episode 4 should come out around the same time. I just noticed that, isn't that convenient.
Ep 4 RAWs are out, but apparently there is no new chapter this week. There goes my Tuesdays.
apropervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 06:09   Link #217
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropervillain View Post
Ep 4 RAWs are out, but apparently there is no new chapter this week. There goes my Tuesdays.
this episode shows us the first chink in Aoba's armor. Koh is one of those guys that stealthly crawls in your heart without you noticing it. Also we get now what was the scene at the beginning of the first episode, it was not a flashforward.

Last edited by golthin; 2009-04-26 at 06:24.
Old 2009-04-26, 19:26   Link #218
The Stig
The Stig

Are you serious? No chapter this week? Lame
Old 2009-04-26, 22:59   Link #219
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This show really is a breath of fresh air. Just a completely straightforward, heart-on-sleeve story about kids and baseball. Not worried about episode structure or pacing, especially - it's almost like eavesdropping on their lives instead of watching anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 23:48   Link #220
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Just seen the third episode, with the CA subs (great job, by the way). Still loving the characters - and, now, we can sorta start to see how this is actually some kinda Bizarro-style Touch, eh? I expect lots of curve balls in the not so distant future.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports