AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-06, 17:15   Link #821
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

youre wrong , touma isnt like the normal shounen character, 1. he dont have to be pushed forward with his friends to do things. 2. he dont have to go train/learn a new technique once every arc. 3. he doesnt go around preaching that he is or gonna be the strongest.

touma is more the eroge protagonist archetype that just wants a normal life but ends up troubled trying to help girls.

Last edited by zeniselv; 2010-12-06 at 19:55.
Old 2010-12-06, 19:45   Link #822
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
youre wrong , touma isnt like the normal shounen character, 1. he dont have to be pushed forward with his friends to do things. 2. he dont have to go train/learn a new technique every once every arc. 3. he doesnt go around preaching that he is or gonna be the strongest.

touma is more the eroge protagonist archetype that just want a normal life but ends up trubled trying to help girls.
yup

and i guess if u watch the anime u might still like him as opposed to reading the novels. For example i have recommended this show to a bunch of friends and all like it. Although its got to the point where my tall big grown ass friends in class act like index going "touma, touma!"
Old 2010-12-06, 20:13   Link #823
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Although its got to the point where my tall big grown ass friends in class act like index going "touma, touma!"
You've created a monster.
Old 2010-12-06, 20:19   Link #824
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You've created a monster.
Its quite scary... ones a fat mexican and ones a tall fat white biker look a like.

dont know whether to be happy or not.
Old 2010-12-06, 20:35   Link #825
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Its quite scary... ones a fat mexican and ones a tall fat white biker look a like.

dont know whether to be happy or not.
just どんまい!
Old 2010-12-06, 20:44   Link #826
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
just どんまい!
? whats that mean?
Old 2010-12-06, 20:48   Link #827
tsunade666

donmai I think. Just "don't mind" ?
Old 2010-12-06, 20:49   Link #828
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
donmai I think. Just "don't mind" ?
its hard when i have them for 2 classes and they both sit next to me in one
Old 2010-12-06, 20:54   Link #829
outerelf

Excuse me while I laugh at your misfortune.

Also- something I noticed-

Touma is really bad at making friends, isn't he? (I don't count the girls). Aogami is a pervert, stalker, lolicon, etc. Tsuchimikado is a spy that would probably sell him out in a minute if needed. Stiyl (if you include him) loves tossing him out into the middle of the fight.

And then he has two psychotic fanboys, Accelerator and Fiamma, both of whom wouldn't bat an eye at killing others, and were converted by his punches.
Old 2010-12-06, 21:53   Link #830
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
At least he finally got to the good side of Acqua...

... who, forms the "Touma/Acqua Combo - Imagine Breaker Launcher"?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2010-12-07, 09:15   Link #831
Salt
the cynic

Thanks for the link to the LN.

Will read it when I'm up to it - quite a bit on my plate right now; need to stop procrastinating.

I'm just a bit weary of "act first, think later" protagonist of shounen anime.
While I suppose it makes the writer's job easier - since he doesn't have to come up with a rational for the lead to get involved.

A little variety would really be nice. ><
Old 2010-12-07, 09:22   Link #832
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
I'm just a bit weary of "act first, think later" protagonist of shounen anime.
While I suppose it makes the writer's job easier - since he doesn't have to come up with a rational for the lead to get involved.

A little variety would really be nice. ><
To say that he mindlessly jumps into situation is quite misleading.

Touma gets dragged into situations against his will, the reason why he stayed through with it was because he learn what was at stake and decided to help out. In many cases he has shown to have quite a good understanding of the situation after the initial shock, after all he was the one that came up with the solution to most of them.

Touma's rationale for continuing to stay involve is simple- To save lives or usually just one life.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2010-12-07 at 09:33.
Old 2010-12-07, 16:10   Link #833
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:

Touma gets dragged into situations against his will, the reason why he stayed through with it was because he learn what was at stake and decided to help out. In many cases he has shown to have quite a good understanding of the situation after the initial shock, after all he was the one that came up with the solution to most of them.

Touma's rationale for continuing to stay involve is simple- To save lives or usually just one life.
not to metion that he has only saved "females" so far.
Old 2010-12-07, 17:04   Link #834
eiyuu99

He did try to save some delinquents, who were harrassing Misaka, before his memory loss.
Old 2010-12-07, 17:58   Link #835
Salt
the cynic

Quote:

He only comes up with solutions in the middle of the fight. You almost never see him pre-plan before attacking, nor have any strategy from the get go.
That is what what I meant by "rush in head first". That my impression of him from the anime anyway.

He fits the shounen anime lead stereotype pretty closely:
  1. hotheaded and impulsive
    - as mentioned above
  2. whitewashed
    - basically "morally perfect"; Few to no character flaws, the few they do have are relatively minor and inconsequential.
    It would be more interesting if they had some undesirable attributes like occasional selfishness, arrogant/pride, prejudices, general messed-up-ness ...
  3. motive
    - somewhat related to 2; The simplistic "For justice!!!" basically sums it up.

I have nothing against such characters, but one sees them so damn often.

It's fairly frustrating.
I really like the show, the artwork and animation is darn good, the music (at least the S1 OP1 and EN1) is great, love the setting and most of the characters (I came from the railgun anime BTW).

Unfortunately the most important character (the lead), that is suppose to hold the audience, has utter failed to grab me. ><
Old 2010-12-07, 18:16   Link #836
Ashaman

Quote:
He only comes up with solutions in the middle of the fight. You almost never see him pre-plan before attacking, nor have any strategy from the get go.
That is what what I meant by "rush in head first". That my impression of him from the anime anyway.
Its hard to plan for something you know almost nothing about, when you only have one ability. If you think about it, punching really is his only option 90% of the time. Complex plans don't work that well when you have such simple abilities.

Take his fight with Accel, one of the few when he had any for knowledge of abilites. It still doesn't change what he can or cannot do. So in this case, its not that he rushes in blindly, but can't really plan.

Quote:
He fits the shounen anime lead stereotype pretty closely:
  1. hotheaded and impulsive
    - as mentioned above
  2. whitewashed
    - basically "morally perfect"; Few to no character flaws, the few they do have are relatively minor and inconsequential.
    It would be more interesting if they had some undesirable attributes like occasional selfishness, arrogant/pride, prejudices, general messed-up-ness ...
  3. motive
    - somewhat related to 2; The simplistic "For justice!!!" basically sums it up.

I have nothing against such characters, but one sees them so damn often.

It's fairly frustrating.
I really like the show, the artwork and animation is darn good, the music (at least the S1 OP1 and EN1) is great, love the setting and most of the characters (I came from the railgun anime BTW).

Unfortunately the most important character (the lead), that is suppose to hold the audience, has utter failed to grab me. ><
Yeah, you're right in many ways, he does fit the streotype. But in many ways, he doesn't give the feel of the stereotype. Its very hard to explain why not, so I hope someone else can give it a go.

Still, I can very much see where you are coming from.

You prefer the dark hero type (was it you who mentioned Lulu as a fav?) and you simply wont find that in Touma.

Accel, on the other hand? Yeah, you're going to enjoy the latter half of the seaon.
Old 2010-12-07, 18:20   Link #837
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
[*]hotheaded and impulsive
- as mentioned above
Have you watch 'Fairy Tails' recently?

Once you compare Natsu and Touma it becomes very obvious who's a hot head.

More often than not Touma's a lazy person.

Quote:
[*]whitewashed
Arrogant - boasting to Mikoto about his school winning
Whiny - Complains about his misfortune all the time
Selfish - Keeping Index in the dark about his memory lost
Perverted - (Speaks for itself)

I think what you are looking for is an anti-hero, Touma is by no means a perfect character if you look at his daily routine but if that's not enough for you then obviously you're into the dark and heavy chocolates.

Quote:
[*]- somewhat related to 2; The simplistic "For justice!!!" basically sums it up.
Like I've been saying, Touma was never about justice.

He's about saving lives.
Old 2010-12-07, 19:00   Link #838
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quotes from none other than Touma

Spoiler for quotes:
Old 2010-12-07, 20:11   Link #839
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
not to metion that he has only saved "females" so far.
Those deliquents? Also, Fiamma is a male you know?
Old 2010-12-07, 20:25   Link #840
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Those deliquents? Also, Fiamma is a male you know?
mikoto will be getting in trouble for that , also he was helping index when he fougth fiamma and afterwards he kept figthging to save all the females in the world, well he helps girls over 12 Yo, as you can see he makes little effort to help LO.
Closed Thread