AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-19, 13:37   Link #981
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Incidentally I've done some re-reading of the last ten chapters of the main manga and I noticed something. Miyamori's team is apparently made up third-years, which means that like Hisa's case this is literally the first AND last chance they have for the finals, as I noticed that they didn't have any first-years for their school club.
Just another reason why i want them to move on to the next round. I like all their players. I could settle for Himematsu moving on but i just don't care about Eisui.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 14:15   Link #982
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
Just another reason why i want them to move on to the next round. I like all their players. I could settle for Himematsu moving on but i just don't care about Eisui.
I second this. Looking back now that the match nears its end, they're all just so ridiculously bland, except for how naked or big breasted they can get. I don't mind getting a team full of fetishes, but they could have at least some interesting or likable traits beyond that. And it's not like Ritz is losing her touch with the characters, just look at Kinu and Toyone, and from the achiga side, Kirame, oh god, Kirame.

We already have Yuuki for the flatchested departement (at least), and Nodoka for the breasts, we don't need miko boring versions of the same thing.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 20:29   Link #983
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Kind of surprised how Eisui wasn't given the same amount of depth as Miyamori seems to be getting, but it sort of makes sense as they're a wall that Kiyosumi needs to get over to get one step closer to the finals. Not that they can't be given development -- after all Ryuumonbuchi's players turned out very likeable in the end -- but it's likely they're just there to be knocked down, especially since they're supposed to have a "monster" that's already shown her mettle the previous year.

Compare this to Miyamori, which is kind of like Tsuruga's case (no-name school coming out of nowhere to place in the finals), but much worse in some aspects, as Tsuruga's club at least has second years to continue. Miyamori doesn't have that option, which makes their stake at the finals all the more important.
Old 2012-05-19, 20:31   Link #984
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Kind of surprised how Eisui wasn't given the same amount of depth as Miyamori seems to be getting, but it sort of makes sense as they're a wall that Kiyosumi needs to get over to get one step closer to the finals. Not that they can't be given development -- after all Ryuumonbuchi's players turned out very likeable in the end -- but it's likely they're just there to be knocked down, especially since they're supposed to have a "monster" that's already shown her mettle the previous year.
Turning your argument around, it can also mean that the author is saving their back story for the semi finals.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:17   Link #985
night_sentinel

I love this day! Not only its my first "true" glimpse of Teru on Achiga anime, but Saki 97 is also translated.

And I get what you meant peanutbutter when you said that Rinshan Kaihou was fully used.

Spoiler for captain match:

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2012-05-21 at 10:28.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 10:24   Link #986
Peanutbutter

I believe the point where Achiga-hen story is is ahead of where we are now in Saki's story.

And yep, this chapter is one where you need to read it, and understand mahjong to fully appreciate the impact of it.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 11:04   Link #987
King-Slayer

Saki is a beast! Now that people have figured out Kasumi's weakness, i wonder how they are going to proceed. Looks like the match is coming to an end soon but all this waiting is crap!
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 12:38   Link #988
Qilin
Romanticist

At long last, we have another chapter highlighting Saki's ability to manipulate the entire table to her advantage, culminating in her signature Rinshan Kaihou. Given how frequent she uses her Rinshan, it can be easy to forget that she can be just as skilled at controlling the table with her kans and discards whenever she doesn't go for the win. It's not often you see Saki declaring riichi though, but it was used for maximum effect here.

And yeah. Kasumi's hands were definitely as scary was as predicted (though it was mostly sealed by everyone knowing about it).
Old 2012-05-21, 22:22   Link #989
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Woohoo! Get em Saki!

S'about time....

And with regards to peanutbutter's comment I agree, I think the achiga-hen manga is one match later than what is currently being portrayed in the saki manga itself.
Old 2012-05-21, 23:05   Link #990
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

night_sentinel: Peanutbutter is right that Achiga-hen is actually more advanced in the timeline compared to mainline Saki. It's easy to forget that this is just the FIRST match for Kiyosumi, while Achiga is at its SECOND.
Old 2012-05-21, 23:19   Link #991
Sol Falling

Actually, we're currently at the third nationals match for Achiga, and the second match for Kiyosumi. Both Achiga and Kiyosumi managed to blast through their first tournament round without too much trouble, hence they weren't shown in great detail.

For me it's easier to just think of the matches in terms of proximity to the final bracket, i.e. "Quarter-Finals", "Semi-Finals", and "Finals". The first match was sort of a qualifier for schools which are non-seeded (with only one school advancing), then Kiyosumi proceeded to the Quarter-Finals, and Achiga is playing in the Semi-Finals right now.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 23:33   Link #992
night_sentinel

Thanks for peanutbutter, flower, Myssa Rei and Sol_Falling for catching my typo.

I meant chronologically earlier. But just to clarify if my understanding of the timeline. Please correct me again if I'm wrong in anyway.

The timeline is this?

Achiga- Senriyama Match Quarter Finals and Shiraitodai-Shindouji Quarter Finals
(Side A Quarter Finals)
V
V
Next Day
V
V
Kiyosumi Match Quarter Finals and Rinkai Match Quarter Finals(SideB Quarterfinal)
Achiga Training Camp
V
V
Next Day
V
V
Achiga-Senriyama-Shiraitodai-Shindouji Semi Final Match ( Side A Semi Finals)
Kiyosumi Free day

Still the point stand, Saki's first match at the nationals was at the Kiyosumi quarter finals. Senriyama at that time of their semi-finals canonically has a strong suspicion of Saki's relation to Teru due to Hiroko their data gatherer. The primary data that Hiroko can gather to make that conclusion is the Kiyosumi quarterly match which Senriyama can actually watch and the preliminary qualifiers.

Saki made a play which is strikingly similar to the one Teru made at the Achiga semi-finals. Its not unreasonable to hope that Saki will make more plays that are similar or at least strongly reminds people of Teru. After all there is at least 4 hands to play right? The full south match?
Old 2012-05-21, 23:38   Link #993
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Wats this Saki does one move and everyone's in awe of her........
Old 2012-05-22, 00:25   Link #994
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
From what I could tell, its less amazement at her winning one hand using her rinshan ability, and more at her she was able to completely counter/nullify/whatever the two other supernatural players 'abilities' with her own.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 01:08   Link #995
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
It's the table control she does. As orangejuicetang mentioned, she essentially stops both Eisui and Miyamori's plans cold. We saw her do this at the end of the Preliminaries by the way, where she wrongfoots Koromo by not only helping out Ikeda indirectly, but also by doing the so-called trash hands so she could set up her rinshan.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:34   Link #996
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

OK now it makes sense

I have no idea about mahjong but I still love this lol
Old 2012-05-22, 02:40   Link #997
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator
Spoiler for Why Saki is awesome in Chapter 97:
Old 2012-05-22, 07:10   Link #998
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Spoiler for Why Saki is awesome in Chapter 97:
Well said. I couldn't have explained it better.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 07:30   Link #999
Key Board
Carbon

At this point it's better to think of mahjong in Saki as something like Magic The Gathering or Yugioh

It's all about countering or taking advantage of the other players special ability
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 07:54   Link #1000
Sol Falling

You get some good technical/mechanical study out of it though. What with the various scenarios, and focused artificial conditions. It's really does still add a layer of enjoyment/engagement to Saki when you're familiar with the actual game they're playing. I haven't played the actual game much myself (yet...I've got a tile + playing mat set coming this very moment in the mail ) but I also really appreciate the analysis some of the posters bring to the threads around here.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri