AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-10-14, 15:20   Link #61
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
I don't think he will have any trouble with his portfolio of translated scripts and experience as interpreter for the anime cons.
I thought the companies would point fingers and start screaming "PIRATE! MAN THE CANNONS!" or such as soon as they found out he was ever a part of the fansubbing scene. You're saying it's a plus?
Old 2004-10-14, 16:55   Link #62
NeverRamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr
I thought the companies would point fingers and start screaming "PIRATE! MAN THE CANNONS!" or such as soon as they found out he was ever a part of the fansubbing scene. You're saying it's a plus?
Quite a few companies have hired people right out of the fansub scene. I believe one of the top people from CPM was in Kodacha Anime (VHS group), one of the Funimation translators used to work on fansubs, and I've heard there have been others as well.
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 17:18   Link #63
lomeando

Quote:
So it was a few people associated with Anime-Fansubs and some of the original people who worked on Vandread: 1st Stage for E-F who did the "Not E-F" version of Vandread: 2nd Stage. And yes, they literally labeled the files and subtitled them as NOT E-F LOL!
Members of "not E-F' were not confined to just Anime-Fansubs and E-F. Hatred of devilray was pretty widespread, and I know of members from at least two other groups that contributed. Personally, I have nothing against him. All the dealings I've had with the man have been perfectly civil, but those have been relatively few.

Oddly, I don't know anyone from A-F that was in NEF, but that doesn't mean there wasn't anyone. I was a pretty new member of A-F at the time.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 17:21   Link #64
JediNight
キズランダム

Basically what NeverRamza said. Many people in the North American anime circles began in fansubs actually. Obviously there are a whole spectrum of "fansubbers" from DVD rippers and licensed anime subbers, all the way down to those who only translate their personal copy they have the R2 DVD for and never distribute it.

I'm sure they have their own personal translator tests just like alot of fansub groups have, so I don't know exactly how much it counts. I'm also not exactly sure what the legal issues are behind watching something and creating a translation of it as long as you aren't selling it. At any rate it shows that you are familiar with translating off of digital audio I guess.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 20:46   Link #65
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
I used to have some of those, but I also used to have a lot of the taped fansubs, which is why I know that they were mostly digital copies of VHS subs.
Good point
Jenichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 00:28   Link #66
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

i wanna see those VHS fansubbing days haha...home translated bootleg anime are classics =D
Old 2004-10-15, 00:33   Link #67
haleguu
LOLICON

Quote:
I have a humorous story behind the "Not E-F" thing Basically it stems from the fact that Devilray (guy who started Elite-Fansubs) was pretty vocal and such and had some "enemies" in Anime-Fansubs. So it was a few people associated with Anime-Fansubs and some of the original people who worked on Vandread: 1st Stage for E-F who did the "Not E-F" version of Vandread: 2nd Stage. And yes, they literally labeled the files and subtitled them as NOT E-F LOL!

Now the real irony behind this was one day that I joined #anime-fansubs (they were my first digisubs watching their Love Hina, and I stayed out of problems Devilray had) so one guy in there made the comment he was downloading NOT E-F Vandread2 because he thought the Vandread1 from E-F was really bad. The irony being of course, that the people responsible for E-F Vandread1 were the ones making NOT E-F Vandread2. So the guy was actually downloading from the people who he thought did a bad job ^^

I don't know if I would really call it group politics. It was definitely a personal problem of Devilrays that the rest of the group didn't share in.

So even back then you had debates over quality
I don't know the exact truth of this, but a former A-F member (this was a long time ago), told me how the whole A-F and E-F beef first started. The beef was mainly between A-F and devilray (but as lomeando stated, hatred for devilray was widespread - Anime-Kissaten, HQA, AnimeFactory, AnimeINC, etc. It all started because devilray wanted to be part of Anime-Fansubs when they first started out, but he failed their timing test or editing test, I forgot, and devilray got mad or I guess just went off and started his own group instead.

Been following fansubs for awhile, it's also weird how everyone in many of the fansub groups of before progressed. For instance, crustol was an editor for Anime-Kissaten, now worldy famous translator. Also, many members of the labeled "shitty" groups of before are now part of groups that are considered high quality.

I still remember babyneko too, I remember loae getting all worked up when someone pointed out babyneko did her 100something episode translation. Loae always had to point out he did far more LOL. I also remember all the drama with babyneko...but thats whole different story.
haleguu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 01:32   Link #68
JediNight
キズランダム

Was babyneko a translator for a group? Because for the life of me I can't remember them at all. At any rate I don't really know anything about devilray before E-F, except that he formed the group.

On an unrelated note, I find Japanese a very enjoyable language. It is very structured and doesnt have all of the bullshit that Spanish has as far as verb and noun endings goes. I like being able to leave out parts of the sentences that are obvious to the person to which you are speaking to.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 02:16   Link #69
bayoab

I believe that AI was formed after most of those groups... and nE-F's t/l was Zeruel iirc who was the former E-F t/l. We really need someone who was around back in the days when E-F was on eliteorbit to get more clarification as to what happened back then.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 03:25   Link #70
haleguu
LOLICON

Quote:
Was babyneko a translator for a group? Because for the life of me I can't remember them at all. At any rate I don't really know anything about devilray before E-F, except that he formed the group.

On an unrelated note, I find Japanese a very enjoyable language. It is very structured and doesnt have all of the bullshit that Spanish has as far as verb and noun endings goes. I like being able to leave out parts of the sentences that are obvious to the person to which you are speaking to.
babyneko translated for AnimeParty, Anime-Station (OLD SKOOL), and a couple of other groups. She did a lot of episodes of Inuyasha for Anime-Station, she also translated X TV, Hellsing, Saiyuki, etc. Probably more, but I can't remember...I know she translated well over 100 episodes back then.
haleguu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 05:59   Link #71
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
I believe that AI was formed after most of those groups... and nE-F's t/l was Zeruel iirc who was the former E-F t/l. We really need someone who was around back in the days when E-F was on eliteorbit to get more clarification as to what happened back then.
Sure, but what much is there to tell. It's not so much the individual perspective -- if you ask 10 different people around back then you'll probably get 10 different answers.

If you want to understand the conflict between the original groups, you have to know a bit of the goofy-ness that led up to it. This is assumed factual, it was discussed by numerous people including devilray in the a-f-a rev. 2 document. #animehelp was led by kinkin, a korean boy pretending to be a girl and gaining followers in this fashion. For assorted reasons, kinkin's followers began to depart, and kinkin himself drew the ire of the larger community. Despite this, he still had some followers, he did until his true identity was revealed to them. devilray and some others went on to form e-f slightly after the whole debacle.

Even in feb. 2001, many months after the whole thing had blown over, devilray recalls his role and how (he believes) it still affects the politics between the different groups (see the a-f-a rev. 2 for specifics). He tries to form a group called the a-f-a with the stated purpose to bring about some civility in group relations. Even at this point, e-f is in its prime, they have several good productive months left.

Some groups were excluded from the a-f-a, they were never asked to sign at all. In the end, the a-f-a itself was of little import. IMO it was more a testament to the older groups unwilling to acknowledge the changes to the environment -- the new 'order'.

You have to understand that _everything_ is questionable. Someone other than me will probably give you a whole different pespective/story. People remember what is interesting to them.

I think e-f has the most interesting story, I remember the specifics of #animefactory and others and none were as interesting as the #animehelp intrigue that led to it, or the irc personalities themselves.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 10:17   Link #72
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I dunno... I try as hard as I can to avoid dumb drama like that. =p
Old 2004-10-29, 20:11   Link #73
PhaseStar

Wink

Well..the oldest fansubbing group isnt E-F, nether is it A-F

Kinda clsoe though, but there was a group alot earlier then them.

UpTownAnime

I had their DBZ subs when RM just came out ^_^. Good old 10mb RM episodes on my real player 2.

I herd UpTownanime did vcr subs before, but I cant coinfirm that since i haven't seen it.

On note UpTownAnime disbanded 3 or 4 years ago...
PhaseStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 20:17   Link #74
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseStar
Unless someone is using their name, there's a group listed on AniDB that's called UptownAnime. And they have a release that is about 1 month old
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 21:24   Link #75
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

As fascinating as that is, it's irrelevant to the topic. The topic is asking who the oldest -online- digisubbing group is. You just mentioned what's probably not a very early VHS subber. (VHS fansubs far predate DBZ, I believe.)
Old 2004-10-29, 21:51   Link #76
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I had a copy of Grandoll in RM format by "WTF Anime" (not the same guys who are around now) and it was fully digital. Captured off LD, edited on a local TV station's DVS and placed to CD. The date on the CD is November 1997 (Grandoll was released in Japan in Agusut of that year)

Since the guy who did it, Mikhail (now of Black Bra) got the idea from other people he met on BBS' full digisubbing must be older than 1997.

sorry. I was just corrected. The format was redone to .RM a few years later. I have no clue what the original format was but it would have likely been something amiga-related. I've never used an amiga.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 22:15   Link #77
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
As fascinating as that is, it's irrelevant to the topic. The topic is asking who the oldest -online- digisubbing group is.
Er... so basically asking which was the first group with a website or irc channel? >.>
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 22:55   Link #78
PhaseStar

I said I saw DBZ RM's by UpTownAnime, they did other stuff as well but i didnt care about them. All i wanted was the dbz eps for music videos.

UpTownAniem is older then anidb, if they did something 1 month ago, it was prob not them, it could be an old release or a fragment fo the group thats left.
Old 2004-10-29, 23:56   Link #79
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseStar
Well..the oldest fansubbing group isnt E-F, nether is it A-F

Kinda clsoe though, but there was a group alot earlier then them.

UpTownAnime

I had their DBZ subs when RM just came out ^_^. Good old 10mb RM episodes on my real player 2.

I herd UpTownanime did vcr subs before, but I cant coinfirm that since i haven't seen it.

They couldn't have disbanded that long ago. They subbed some episodes of Inuyasha and that only started about 2 years ago.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 09:10   Link #80
PhaseStar

Yes, they disbanded while doing inu yasha(I watched their inu yasha eps), but they ended before episode 100. So they have been disbanded for atleast 2 years. I don't remebr the exact day it was dibanded. But ti is the oldest group by many refrences.