AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-12-04, 12:13   Link #20281
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Of course, there's also a big difference between a serious fic, and one written for laughs. In the case of the former, it's often better to adhere to the characters as they were created by Tsuzuki more strictly. When you're writing the later though, it's more of a parody and then it becomes less important, since the goal is to have a good laugh.

Taking Hayate as an example again, a serious fic would have her into designing the outfits for people, but would stop there, while a fic for laughs would have her go down the cosplay maniac routine full-drive.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 12:58   Link #20282
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Sorry...temporarily off Topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
There are a couple of ways:
#1. They have a salary/tenure at a museum or university, that pays them to go out into the field and dig up stuff
Yup, that's one way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
#2. Old relics can be worth a lot of money, too, so certain rich individuals may buy them off archeologists for decent sums of money, or finance trips in the hopes of getting rare, valuable goods.

WTF!!!!!!

That is SOOOO against our Code of Ethics. You must be thinking about Indiana Jones or about the 1700 and 1800's Archaeology...

So...no. But we do get sponsors from Organizations to PROTECT the Archaeological sites. If we did what you just said, we would no longer BE Archaeologists; we would become thieves...like Indiana Jones.

But it was a nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

One of the things this fic points out to me is how little I know of archeology except that it is the study of human culture through old relics...

So now I'm curious, how does an archaeologist earn money?

I had your response but I accidentally deleted it. I would re-write it but I'm about to leave. I'm heading to Philadelphia for the American Anthropological Association Convention in a few hours so when I come back on Sunday, I'll PM you with my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post

But when it comes to digging bugs for a living, ask Alavon.
I saw that!
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 13:02   Link #20283
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Why do I suddenly want to ship Yuuno/Alavon?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 13:07   Link #20284
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Cause the entire thread is currently chanting "do it, do it, do it, do it, do it!" perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
I had your response but I accidentally deleted it. I would re-write it but I'm about to leave. I'm heading to Philadelphia for the American Anthropological Association Convention in a few hours so when I come back on Sunday, I'll PM you with my response.
Roger that, and have fun.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 13:09   Link #20285
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Why do I suddenly want to ship Yuuno/Alavon?
I can see it now: them getting into the shower together after a long day of digging in the dirt, and I better just stop right there
Old 2009-12-04, 13:09   Link #20286
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

*looks around to make sure no one is watching* >.>
*places story quietly on the ground* <.<
*raises a flag that says "I need a title for this story"* ^.^

Spoiler for Next Part:

Edit: *drops a flag saying "Satashi is a meanzorz" before escaping*

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 13:09   Link #20287
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Raging Heart's statement wasn't meant for Hayate per-se. To put it blunt, what she meant was that since we are fanfiction writers, we can do whatever the hell we want with the character we write about.

Personally, I always believe there is a limit to this. We are fanfiction writers, yes, but in that aspect we also are writers who write about a series and it's characters, so unless a changed personality is part of the plot ('what if' stories or stories where the characters go through events that justify the change) we should attempt to keep things recognizable. After all we are writing Nanoha fanfiction here, and if we suddenly start to switch characters' personalities for no good reasons, there comes a point where people think "... well, this is fun and all, but it's not Nanoha anymore."
you are right Keroko.

but i will tell you a little secret of me anyway i am doing a solo project in writing.

i am writing one i just finish writing chapter 3 which totally pages are 16 while chapter one and Two are 22 pages.

the story i am writing it's not about anime at all, but i do borrow few things; like Shizuma character from SP but with changes along with intellgent weapon that base on devices at Nanoha.

and yes i am writer who try to break the limit.
Old 2009-12-04, 13:13   Link #20288
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
TABASCO BREAKER!!!

Well, glad to know that you liked the changes that I made. As for Subaru being smart (or at least thoughtful), I think I can probably work that into the opening portion of Chapter 4. I've kinda covered Subaru in the first chapter (it's not a proper one, though), Hayate in the second one, and Shamal had her turn in the third one.

Heh, looks like I'll have a bit of fun with Teana in the fourth chapter.

* goes off to start reading up all the StrikerS nanos *

Anyway, I've been watching the BBC's infamous Top Gear series lately, and this was the plot bunny that sprang into existence as a result.

Spoiler for Top Gear intro spoof:

So, yeah, the presenters will be Hayate, Signum, and teenage!Vita, with Fate being The Stig. As for who will be who, any suggestions?

Unofficial page claim for another unlikely mix-up!
Not to mention the Nanoha Corner. Taking "flying off the track" to a whole new level.

So... Hayate = Jezza; Signum = Captain Slow; and Vita = Hamster?
Old 2009-12-04, 13:33   Link #20289
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post

Spoiler for Next Part:

Haha, nice. How is Fate gonna explain her way out of this one?

Some stylistic problems, though, mainly your lack of punctuation and your brief sentence structure. I've always valued content over presentation, though, so I'm personally not that bothered by it.

One thing though, the way you used "oh gawd" doesn't seem right at all. I mean, 'gawd' is net speak, isn't it? Shouldn't it be flat out "Oh God" or something similar?

On that note, when writing Nanoha fics, I find it quite hard not to stick in stuff like "Oh Christ!" or "My God!" I'm so used to using them in every day life, but I realise that we don't know if Catholicism exists on Mid (probably not). We know the main religion is the Saint Church, with the Saint Kaiser as the divine figure, but using "My Kaiser!" as an expletative doesn't sound right. Besides, I think the followers of the church are aware that the Saint Kaiser isn't an omnipotent diety, but a person who lived and ruled at one point.
Old 2009-12-04, 13:36   Link #20290
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
One thing though, the way you used "oh gawd" doesn't seem right at all. I mean, 'gawd' is net speak, isn't it? Shouldn't it be flat out "Oh God" or something similar?

On that note, when writing Nanoha fics, I find it quite hard not to stick in stuff like "Oh Christ!" or "My God!" I'm so used to using them in every day life, but I realise that we don't know if Catholicism exists on Mid (probably not). We know the main religion is the Saint Church, with the Saint Kaiser as the divine figure, but using "My Kaiser!" as an expletative doesn't sound right. Besides, I think the followers of the church are aware that the Saint Kaiser isn't an omnipotent diety, but a person who lived and ruled at one point.
"Oh Gawd" says to me a drawl. It's not really netspeak (you thinking omg?).

On the subject of using Christain-attached terms in Fantasy fiction... yeah, I dodge it too, though I often wonder what the Sanit Kaiser was a saint of...
Old 2009-12-04, 13:43   Link #20291
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I should have said 'slang' instead of 'net speak'... Anyways, it's definitely something I can't hear Yuuno saying.
Old 2009-12-04, 13:48   Link #20292
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
I should have said 'slang' instead of 'net speak'... Anyways, it's definitely something I can't hear Yuuno saying.
Well, there is that. I can only hear young girls in middle america and anyone in Texas saying it in my head properly. Trying to make Yuuno say it in my head is good enough to break me (is it quitting time yet?).
Old 2009-12-04, 13:49   Link #20293
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Haha, nice. How is Fate gonna explain her way out of this one?

Some stylistic problems, though, mainly your lack of punctuation and your brief sentence structure. I've always valued content over presentation, though, so I'm personally not that bothered by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post

On the subject of using Christain-attached terms in Fantasy fiction... yeah, I dodge it too, though I often wonder what the Sanit Kaiser was a saint of...
"gawd" is a word I connect with.... I'm sorry to say this..... prissy stuck up people. Like the captain of the cheerleading squad who says "whateveeeer" "loooooser" and "oh my gawd that's so kyute!" Its a slang word, not net speak, but remember that all slang reflects on a character and adds to their personality.

I'll use Syn again since I've said it before. I gave her a slight country accent. Although it doesn't really reflect on her personality so much as to help identify with her. For example, starting a paragraph off with dialog that contains more than two people can be difficult because of the reader not knowing who is speaking until their name is mentioned. With Syn, I can choose my words and have the reader identify with her instantly because of the spoken words. For example, if Vivio and Syn said the same thing:
"What are you talking about?"
"What'cha talking about?"
Syn's words stand out because of her accent.

Accents aside, wording is very important so I try to stay away from things that don't reflect the personalities "gawd" being one of them. As for religoin, lets connect this to the real world. AKA the pope. know how much power and influence the guy has, how he runs things, ect. Then replace the pope with the Kaiser/Vivio. That's how I personally see her. She isn't a god, per see, but to the people's eyes she's just about as good as one. People would come to her for "salvation" and all that good religious stuff :3

So with "oh my god!" and "Christ!(I was frozen today!!)" reflecting to Vivio, I'm sure there is some term used, but figuring it out would take all of us pooling our thoughts together to find something useful.

Syn: Vivio, dammit!
Vivio: Hey! Don't take my name in vain! D:
Syn:What'cha gonna do? Punish me? *grins*
Vivio:Oh yeah! *grabs*
Syn:I've been a baaaad girl!
Nanoha:Can you two PLEASE not do that in the livingroom?
girls:Oh... sorry... forgot where we were.

edit:Anyone notice I've gotten better at was/were?
Old 2009-12-04, 14:04   Link #20294
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

On accents, I rarely use them unless the english dub included them. Like, when I write Shizuru from My HiME, I have her saying darlin' and such because the dub gave her a southern accent (best part of that dub, imo). Where as with Hayate, I just write her worlds normally, since she didn't have any kind of accent in english.

It's all about the 'voices' I hear in my head. While I can hear Hayate's kansai accent in my head, I can't really put it into english words.

Quote:
"Christ!(I was frozen today!!)"
*Dies laughing*
Old 2009-12-04, 14:10   Link #20295
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
On accents, I rarely use them unless the english dub included them. Like, when I write Shizuru from My HiME, I have her saying darlin' and such because the dub gave her a southern accent (best part of that dub, imo). Where as with Hayate, I just write her worlds normally, since she didn't have any kind of accent in english.

It's all about the 'voices' I hear in my head. While I can hear Hayate's kansai accent in my head, I can't really put it into english words.
You can't hear the different dialects in Japanese? The reason Shizuru has a southern accent in the english dub is because she has an 'osaka' accent in Japanese. Same with Hayate, though I don't know if she does in english or not. Its basically the exact same thing, but since we speak English, we respond best to "southern accents"

though I live in the south and don't have an accent.
Quote:
*Dies laughing*
+ cookie point
[edit] actually not, I can't give you anymore right now ><
Old 2009-12-04, 14:11   Link #20296
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post

Spoiler for Next Part:

And now Nanoha knows. One wonders how she'll react to the news that her two best friends are apparently interested in each other. I look forward to it.
Old 2009-12-04, 14:19   Link #20297
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
You can't hear the different dialects in Japanese? The reason Shizuru has a southern accent in the english dub is because she has an 'osaka' accent in Japanese. Same with Hayate, though I don't know if she does in english or not. Its basically the exact same thing, but since we speak English, we respond best to "southern accents"

though I live in the south and don't have an accent.
Er, I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I know Shizuru has a Kyoto accent in the japanese, so when I hear her japanese voice in my head she has the accent. Same with Hayate and her accent. However, when I hear their voices in english, Shizuru has a southern one, while Hayate has none (her voice was normal in the dub).

But the thing is, obviously, I'm writing fics in english and as such when I write the voices I hear, they're english and Shizuru has an accent while Hayate doesn't.

... Lord knows how she'd sound if I gave her a Newfie accent
Old 2009-12-04, 14:22   Link #20298
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Er, I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I know Shizuru has a Kyoto accent in the japanese, so when I hear her japanese voice in my head she has the accent. Same with Hayate and her accent. However, when I hear their voices in english, Shizuru has a southern one, while Hayate has none (her voice was normal in the dub).

But the thing is, obviously, I'm writing fics in english and as such when I write the voices I hear, they're english and Shizuru has an accent while Hayate doesn't.

... Lord knows how she'd sound if I gave her a Newfie accent
I think the question is, why are you watching the dubs? :P At least they kept the names the same... I was expecting them to rename Nanoha "Nikki" and Fate "Stephine" or some crap like that. Yuuno would be George of course.

*goes back to writing ViCia lemon*
Old 2009-12-04, 14:25   Link #20299
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
*goes back to writing ViCia lemon*
I'm going to get a chance to read that, right?
Old 2009-12-04, 14:36   Link #20300
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
I think the question is, why are you watching the dubs? :P At least they kept the names the same... I was expecting them to rename Nanoha "Nikki" and Fate "Stephine" or some crap like that. Yuuno would be George of course.
A lot of people expect stuff like this from dubs, but that mindset is very outdated. Yes, 4kids and Nelvana did change names for Tokyo Mew Mew and 'Cardcaptors' but that was for the sake of airing it on TV and making it more american kid friendly. Nanoha got picked up by Geneon, a company who has never heavily altered the source material before, so there was no reason to believe they'd change it. Then it fell to Funimation's hands, but that company has come a loooong way from the days of crappy DBZ dubs.

The only 'injustice' they kinda did to the series is casting rookies from Voice Acting Alliance rather than hiring seasoned professionals. But that's actually a great part of the dub, as there's no "Oh look, it's that voice again" reactions, and the rookies all did a great job.

Anyways, I like dubs and generally prefer watching them over the japanese version. So the english performances do influence how I write certain characters.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha