Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-05, 01:49   Link #1
Genstone
Eye in Sky

A Kind of Fantasy/Magic Anime

I'm looking for some kind of fantasy/magic anime with a mature AND reliable male lead, and a non-aggressive female lead.

Most importantly, no tsundere please.

I want to enjoy some anime with any kind of fantasy or magical setting, involving any form of magical and/or power. But, most of the time, this kind of anime are filled with weak-minded, unstable, and unreliable male leads, and tsundere, aggressive female leads.
That annoys me.

I'm just looking for reliable male leads, and emotionally stable female leads in this kind of anime.

Setting doesn't matter. Story doesn't matter.
It's just character-specific.

Please recommend some.

Thank you very much.
Old 2012-01-05, 02:31   Link #2
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Tsubasa Chronicles? Reliable male lead, calm and friendly, but strong female lead, fantasy setting.
Old 2012-01-05, 03:10   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

How about Fate/Zero? What fantasy/magic anime have you seen?
Old 2012-01-05, 03:14   Link #4
jedinat

Utawarerumono is the only one that comes to mind.
Old 2012-01-05, 07:34   Link #5
dametsuna

if you don't mind they some a bit ecchi, these will fit you perfectly:
Isekai Seikishi no Monogatari - it fit your description of reliable male lead where everyone relies on him except for mecha instead of fantasy... but i think you will like it if you try.
Zero no Tsukaima - this got magic, male lead reliable point is 6/10... i think you will also like this one.
Old 2012-01-05, 07:35   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san might fit the bill, though it's a comedy. The male lead is an accomplished mage with a competent female assistant.

Another possibility is Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo though the roles are reversed. Ryoko is the head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police with a yen for her male assistant. The story is told from his perspective.

Finally I'll suggest Mouryou no Hako. The main characters are largely male. There really isn't a main couple, so if you're looking for that specifically, this show won't fill the bill. Definitely worth watching, though. (The listing here is incomplete because Aoi's tracker is gone. You can find a complete version on a certain "crazyBT" site.)

If you're looking for supernatural shows of any type, give Hakaba Kitaro a try if only to see the artwork and be amused. The Apothecary stories ("Bakeneko" and Mononoke) are also excellent, but again no female lead.

Oh, and Miyazaki's Mononoke Hime also fits your request, though I'd imagine you've seen it already.
Old 2012-01-05, 14:12   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Seconding Fate/Zero.

Also Katanagatari, although it has too much talking for some people's tastes, the main male and female character are both very good characters.
MAL
Old 2012-01-05, 16:40   Link #8
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Thanks to all of you.

I'll comment on some of the suggestions, while those that I don't comment on would mean that I'll look into them first.

First thing first, I'm trying to keep everything open, because everyone has a very subjective standard for "reliability". So while you think a character is reliable, I may not think so. Vice versa. So I don't want to specify too clearly, but to judge for myself instead after checking out suggestions myself.
In addition, even though I said "story doesn't matter", it does actually, but don't mind it, because like mentioned, I want to learn about all recommended titles first before judging them.

Fate/Zero is sort of not my cup of tea, because I've watched FS/N before, and its story is... um... not my stuff.

Isekai Seikishi no Monogatari is already in my to-be-watched list. So it fits my bill? I'll watch it earlier then. Lol.
And yes, I don't mind ecchiness at all. In fact, it's even better with it in the anime.

Zero no Tsukaima is completely a "no". A huge one. "No tsundere" is one of my conditions, mentioned in my first post. I hate them. It's because of them that some of my favourite shows are destroyed.

==========================

It's difficult to tell you all fantasy/magic shows that I've watched, because I don't keep a list of them, and some I have already deleted long ago.
But I can give some examples to illustrate...

Fractale is fantasy, but the male lead is, by my standard, weak and tends to be pushed around. The female lead doesn't really stand out, and there's another tsundere female character too.

Freezing. Fantasy/magical, but similarly, the male lead is weak-minded. Not so determined, not so "knowing what to do", and somewhat soft. Being soft is good, but not in that manner. The female leads are... well, the way they are because of the story, so I'm not going to say anything, but it's not okay with the male leads.

Shakugan no Shana. Damn, this is one of those I hate the most. The male lead is terrible!!! And the female lead is a tsundere!!!!! (This is why I really dislike most anime by J.C. Staff. They never fail to turn me off!)

Yosuga no Sora. Well, not really fantasy/magical, but the male lead is also not determined, not "knowing what to do", easily confused.

KissXSis. Yes, not fantasy, but look at the male lead. I'm not satisfied with how he is portrayed, even when given the context of the anime.

Dragon Crisis. Well, the male lead isn't too useless, but too soft. It's like his attitude couldn't leave an impact in me. He also doesn't seem very good with delicate stuff between the two sexes. Not good in combat too.

Seiken no Blacksmith. Fantasy, and I like the setting, but not the male lead. The male lead is also easily confused, lack of his own opinions and self-confidence, and needs a tsundere female lead to slap him in the face with all the talk. Urgh.

Rou-Kyuu-Bu. I know the anime is mostly about fanservice, but the male lead annoys me. Acting guilty for something accidental (pretty stupid), thanking people for forgiving him for something that is not his fault, etc. I know we shouldn't take these things seriously, considering the anime isn't that serious to begin with, but I'd prefer not seeing these things when I want to consider an anime my favourite.

==============

I've talked about many titles that aren't fine by my standard (and I'm surprised at the amount of them). Now I'll talk about those that I think are what I'm looking for.

Yozakura Quartet. Isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but the male lead is fine. He's not too confident with his options, but he isn't that weak. He has his own opinions, and his friends trust him. He isn't like the male leads in other anime who keep being blown around by the wind.

Mushishi. Well, clearly there's no female lead, but his attitude is what I like. Of course, he is the expert in this show, so he has to know most things, and I understand this show is sort of more serious.

Kaze no Stigma. The male lead is wonderful, in terms of reliability. But the female lead is a tsundere, and this is the kind of setup that screws a show when I want to make it my favourite.

Fight Ippatsu Juuden-chan. The male lead is really a leader! Though he is dense when it comes to relationship, he knows what to do, has his own opinions, fights for his friends, and cares for the people around him. Basically he takes actions.

Black Jack. Similar to Mushishi, the male lead is the expert and there's no female lead. But it's his attitude and view on life that I'm talking about. He isn't afraid to fight for whatever he believes in, to stand for himself. This is what I want.

==========================

I hope these examples can provide a clearer picture as to what I'm seeking.
The titles that have already been recommended here so far are definitely not enough. Please keep them coming.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Genstone; 2012-01-05 at 16:51.
Old 2012-01-05, 16:45   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Try Tears To Tiara. Sligt harem feel but both male leads are good
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-01-05, 16:45   Link #10
Niji

Guin Saga has a good male lead, and IIRC the female is not tsundere.

Record of Lodoss War I have not seen all of it yet, but I dont remember tsunderes, and do remember competent males. Though no comparison to GS in the last regard IMO.
Old 2012-01-05, 18:00   Link #11
Elegance

Tales Of The Abyss
Heroic Age
Valkyria Chronicles
Otome youkai zakuro(ugh does this count as tsundere or confused)
Chrome Shelled Regios
Spice And Wolf
Bakemonogatari
Noein
Yu Yu Hakusho

Seconding Katanagatari, Utawarerumono, Tears of Tiara
Old 2012-01-05, 18:15   Link #12
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Fate/Zero is sort of not my cup of tea, because I've watched FS/N before, and its story is... um... not my stuff.
Fate/Zero is a fair bit more mature and well done than FS/N really, I'd really suggest you to give a chance for episode or 2, as it's that much better.

Quote:
Otome youkai zakuro(ugh does this count as tsundere or confused)
Zakuro is somewhat tsundere at least, but she's a lot less aggressive and violent than your average tsundere stereotype girl, so it might be worth considering.
MAL
Old 2012-01-06, 11:59   Link #13
mecharobot

If you're going to watch Record of Lodoss War, make sure to pick up the OVA version. I don't know if it is what you're looking for, but it is the purest classic fantasy anime ever made (i.e. more like D&D and less like anime).
Closed Thread