AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-27, 20:44   Link #1
Puddingman

How do you search for a new anime?

Weird question, but how do you do it? I haven't seen a new anime in a few weeks and I'm thinking about looking up a new one but I don't know what I'm looking for. Nothing really sticks out in my mind but I'm tired of being stagnate, I guess I want something really refreshing. So, if you guys are looking for anime but don't know how to do it, what do you do?
Old 2011-11-27, 21:13   Link #2
KamiTouma
Newfag

My ways of finding new anime is that I listen to the anime radio station and if I find the song I like I search up the anime to see if im interested.
Use recommendations because there are plenty of people out there willing to recommend them to you. Also do research about what type of anime your looking for and enjoy most.

I also subscribe to the anime websites so i get notifications if a new anime has arrived and something like that. Oh I also question myself "which is my favorite anime of all time?" and "What made it so enjoyable?" and started naming the animes I enjoyed. So I really liked Lucky Star and Nichijou and there both slice of life animes so i searched what anime would be related to them on popular anime sites like My Animelist.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:24   Link #3
jedinat

I used to find new anime via review websites and browsing anidb... I've long since watched every anime ever aired that I had the slightest interest in... so now I'll just occasionally look at the currently airing stuff and try an episode of whatever looks interesting.

I read manga more than anime these days... I still occasionally come across something I've overlooked in that medium... anime is basically exhausted, lol.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:28   Link #4
Byakou

I watch the first ep. of lots of different series until I hit something that looks interesting.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:28   Link #5
Kirarakim

Well new stuff is self explanatory; I just read about the synopsis (and staff) on blogs/message boards and decide from there.

Of course I do take into account what people are talking about because otherwise I think I would miss a few gems.

As for older series unlike jedinat I don't think I have seen everything I want to. But I think I am knowledgeable enough about anime that I know what is out there and what I want to see (again based on reviews, message board discussions, blogs, and so forth). So basically it's not deciding what to watch but finding the time to watch it all.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:29   Link #6
Puddingman

Quote:
I read manga more than anime these days... I still occasionally come across something I've overlooked in that medium...
Those are the best moments for sure. I feel like at my point most shows I've seen have been really awesome. My favorites are Air, FLCL, and Mushishi, but a lot of those get pretty intense; I'm not quite ready yet to be emotionally invested in something like that so soon.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:32   Link #7
Puddingman

Quote:
Of course I do take into account what people are talking about because otherwise I think I would miss a few gems.
I tend to ignore the hype a lot of people give to anything lol, but there have been plenty of times where I gave in and loved it (Zelda series).

When you look out for staff members who do you pay special attention to, voice actors, animation directors, stuff like that?

Oh yea and to clarify I'm more interested in digging into older stuff than I am watching new anime.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:54   Link #8
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
I tend to ignore the hype a lot of people give to anything lol, but there have been plenty of times where I gave in and loved it (Zelda series).
Well when I say I listen to what people are saying I don't mean comments like "This is the bestest thing evah". Instead I listen to what people are saying about the series, not just that are enjoying the series but why.

And this doesn't just help you discover popular series but obscure ones as well.

Quote:
When you look out for staff members who do you pay special attention to, voice actors, animation directors, stuff like that?
Well I would be lying if I said I didn't pay attention to the seiyuu (because I am a fangirl) but that is hardly indicative of quality.

So when I am talking about staff I mean people like director and the scriptwriter, even the studio (although I feel I am less into anime studios then some fans).

I even pay attention to who is doing the background music because who doesn't like a good soundtrack.

Quote:
Oh yea and to clarify I'm more interested in digging into older stuff than I am watching new anime.
Well as for your favorite series Mushishi is actually my favorite as well. As for series that are similar to me (although not copies) I would say give Mononoke, Kino no Tabi, and Natsume Yuujinchou a chance.

I am not a fan of Air but if you haven't seen them you might as well watch Kanon & Clannad by Kyoani/Key as well.

Not sure what to recommend for FLCL, maybe look up other Gainax series.
Old 2011-11-27, 21:59   Link #9
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

For anime I might want to see, I look at this guy's blog. Although there are time I disagree, most anime he likes turn out good for me. There are spoilers in his individual episode reviews so I suggest you look at his reviews first.

I also look a lot into the Upcoming Series subforum to find upcoming anime that I may be interested in.

I haven't made a recommendation thread in years and I don't see myself doing it for some time. I actually have the opposite situation of having a huge backlog of anime to see.
Old 2011-11-28, 00:50   Link #10
mecharobot

AniDB has by far the best search options of any anime site. It may look daunting at first, but the advanced search and filtering options makes it easy to things like genre and format searches. It's easy to organize too.

When I started out, I just went by high rated anime and things that were "in" at the moment, but nowadays I always make a more specific search.
Old 2011-11-28, 03:13   Link #11
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Zero - Google.com. No lie. Go to google images and search Spring 2011 anime, Summer 2011, etc and there are usually "poster" type images of the new animes coming out that season and then I search for those names elsewhere.

First - I check animesuki.com; however, a lot of the new ones get licensed right away so sometimes it never hits there.

Second - I check the suggestion forums here whenever I'm bored and go to animenewsnetwork.com to search up any names I'm not familiar with. I usually browse threads that deal with "new anime". The best threads are the top 5 or 10 anime of 20xx etc.

Third - I check well known subbing groups and other subbing groups I have bookmarked and view what animes they have. Once I again I go back to ANN for more info.

But if I had to pick a place JUST for names of new anime for the new season or the previous one/two season and maybe a quick description or picture that does not have a bunch of random other stuff I would say google images would be your best bet as I described earlier above. If not, ANN has served me well.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2011-11-28, 08:21   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you want to stay informed on each season's offerings you can check the listings at Mahou Showtime. The fansubwiki site includes the groups who have expressed interest in subbing each show. Both this forum and those at ANN usually have discussion threads about upcoming seasons. Finally, with the ever-growing proportion of series being streamed, sites like Crunchyroll and TAN are also good places to look.

If you're looking for "new old" series, ones that are new to you but already aired, you can consult the ratings lists at sites like MAL and ANN, or search these sites and AniDB by genre, etc.
Old 2011-11-28, 14:33   Link #13
amasposu

I use Anidb. Here is a link to the Fall 2011 listing. Click the "prev" and "next" button at the top to switch between seasons. Hope that helps. =)
Old 2011-11-28, 15:03   Link #14
FrejaOne

Myanimelist.net has lists of similar recommendations for almost every anime, so I usually go there and look for something close to my old favorite.
Old 2011-11-29, 16:25   Link #15
Niji

OP is looking for older series.

I read this suggestion forum for some light entertainment before sleep, and notice what other people write about certain series. Or series they compare them to. The ones that really interest me there, I get. I have a backlog to watch. But often I am JUST not in the mood for anything in the backlog.

I bookmark threads of this forum for later use, when the topic interests me in general, but it is not what I am looking for, myself, at the moment.

ANN and other rec databases do not work well for me. anidb is good in case my current taste fits its search criteria. Which is rarely the case (search "traditional music with prominent showings of Minka"... umm)

I found some gems via bots, actually. When the list of a bot looks interesting, and I know it is a good group, I check out titles that speak to me from the bot-lists.

And then there is always the "work on the classics" strategy.
Old 2011-11-29, 21:50   Link #16
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quite simple brows on the web.... luckily I spotted a website that gives latest freebies at mp4 format, hahahaha.
Old 2011-12-03, 07:31   Link #17
Kafriel
Senior Guest

It's very easy. Since you're on Animesuki, you must follow a few threads here, so the people who post in the same threads should have similar interests. Usually there's an animelist in their profile, so there's your menu There's also the case of certain anime being talked about a lot, so if you don't know what the buzz is about, investigate.
Closed Thread