AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-04, 22:39   Link #1
cabbagefox

Good, unoffensive anime for women

I'm looking for some anime to watch. You may hate it, but I'm kind of a feminist >_> I can watch anime for girls and for boys, but I can't stand shows that take advantage of female characters by turning them into blundering idiots or marginalizing them as submissive pets with breasts. I don't mind if women are sexualized (ala Motoko Kusanagi, etc), but if it degenerates into ecchi or moe it just can't hold my interest (little girls peeing themselves and acting like pokemon, I'm looking at you, Elfen Lied and Chobits.)

I haven't seen that many anime shows because I didn't have cable as a kid or money to buy tapes, DVDs, etc, but now I have the internet! I might have seen some mainstays (like Cowboy Bebop), but a lot of very famous ones I've yet to watch so don't be afraid of suggesting them.

I actually prefer older anime because it seems to have less ecchi and more substance, but really good new stuff is fine too.

Oh, and my preferences are less slice of life, more fantasy ^_^

Thanks!

As a side, taking advantage of men by turning them into fetishized objects (so some yaoi) isn't really cool with me either.
Old 2012-06-04, 23:50   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I think you absolutely have to watch Seirei no Moribito (or Moribito for short). It has fantasy element/setting and a strong & wise woman as main character.
Old 2012-06-05, 00:35   Link #3
Stealther

Nausicaa
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Honey and Clover
12 Kingdoms
Kemono no Souja Erin
Mushihi
Hourou Musuko
Hataraki Man
Old 2012-06-05, 00:35   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I think you absolutely have to watch Seirei no Moribito (or Moribito for short). It has fantasy element/setting and a strong & wise woman as main character.
Agreed, it's fantasy and just perfect for what they want . Similarly I'd highly suggest The Twelve Kingdoms a series about a girl who finds out she's to be Empress of Nation in another World, it's slightly older but it's fantasy with an exceptional Female lead with great character development over the series.

I'll second Puella Magi Madoka Magica as well.

Other Series that are fantasy and should find what you want:
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Katanagatari
Spice and Wolf
MAL
Old 2012-06-05, 01:42   Link #5
cabbagefox

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check them out Honestly I don't want to rule out a good series because it has a bit of "fan service," I just don't want it to be totally aimed at men of the... Domineering variety O_o I mean I enjoyed Sailor Moon when it wasn't fillers (up until SuperS lol) and that had panty shots galore.

12 Kingdoms looks cool. I think I remember seeing some of Seirei no Moribito on Adult Swim and thinking it was boring, but that's probably because it was out of sequence and dubbed.

A lot of the stuff mentioned is slice of life, but maybe I should give the genre another shot ^^
Old 2012-06-05, 01:49   Link #6
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I will recommend Taishou Yakyou Musume. While the anime is aimed at young men, it treats women in a peaceful and feminist way.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-06-05, 01:51   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You might prefer Studio Ghibli films. My favourite is Only Yesterday.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:24   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I will also second Ghibli's movies and Nausicaa would be my first choice for you.

If you really want an action fantasy which isn't boring and doesn't treat women badly (contextually), then I'll add Utawarerumono to the suggested list.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:29   Link #9
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbagefox View Post
12 Kingdoms looks cool. I think I remember seeing some of Seirei no Moribito on Adult Swim and thinking it was boring, but that's probably because it was out of sequence and dubbed.
Or just because it's pretty boring, lol. I love 12 Kingdoms to death but found Seirei no Moribito to be disappointing.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:32   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Well, nearly all of Miyazaki has female leads... he was noted for being a feminist and I respect him for that...

I might repeat the rest but I'll just say it again.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's delivery Service
Spirited Away
Whispers of the Heart
Only Yesterday
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro
Old 2012-06-05, 03:04   Link #11
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Hoho, Saiunkoku Monogatari is exactly what you are looking for. Very little ecchi stuff, and the primary protagonist is the first female government officer in ancient Saiunkoku (looks like China to me). She wants to be an officer, but meets many challenges. There are 3 seasons, each season being 39 episodes long. It has got drama, humour, romance, friendship, etc,etc, but more importantly, we could see how Shuurei grows to become a competent officer, in an era where female officers are looked down and males dominated. This show is perfect for a feminist (coming from a fellow feminist).

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-06-05, 03:05   Link #12
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

You could try the Banner/Crest of the Stars series.

If you don't mind slice of life, the following are some godly josei shows: Nodame, Kuragehime and Sakamichi no apollon (airing)
Old 2012-06-05, 05:12   Link #13
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Why don't you give Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Air, Clannad, Kimikiss Pure Rouge, and Sora No Woto a shot. They're great anime with none of the fan service elements you don't like, and the series have great stories, soundtrack/music, and plot elements.
I think Air is the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for

Anyways I strongly second recommendations for Saiunkoku and Twelve Kingdoms both have excellent female leads.

As for my own recommendations I am going to say Princess Tutu, again great female characters, a fantastic story, and one with beautiful music.

I will also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. For me it has the most rounded cast of great characters of all ages from both genders.

Finally give Natsume Yuujinchou a chance, a great male lead but the all the female characters are treated with respect and it's a really heart warming series.

Only Yesterday and all the Ghibli films are in fact great film recommendations as mentioned below. As for a non-Ghibli films I also recommend The Girl Who Leapt Through Time & Millennium Actress
Old 2012-06-05, 05:24   Link #14
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think Air is the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for
While I agree Air isn't what they're looking for really since it's more SoL/Drama with minor fantasy elements, but opposite would imply it falls into just ecchi/moe, or take advantage of female characters, and it doesn't do that.
MAL
Old 2012-06-05, 05:40   Link #15
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
While I agree Air isn't what they're looking for really since it's more SoL/Drama with minor fantasy elements, but opposite would imply it falls into just ecchi/moe, or take advantage of female characters, and it doesn't do that.
Air might not be ecchi but it is highly moe.

The female characters act like little children with weird saying and so forth.

Personally I wouldn't recommend any of the Key series to the OP (although I am not as familiar with Clannad so I didn't signal that one out).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-06-05 at 08:55.
Old 2012-06-05, 06:38   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars is the first one that leaps to mind.

I think you would also like Cross Game, Madoka Magica (be sure to watch till the 3rd episode), Maison Ikkoku, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-06-05, 07:46   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Since you're new to watching anime via the Internet, I thought I'd concentrate on shows you can watch via legal streaming.

At Crunchyroll:
Seirei no Moribito
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Usagi Drop
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Hanamaru Kindergarten

VIZ and Funimation shows on Hulu
Cross Game
Claymore
Ergo Proxy
Oh! Edo Rocket
Monster

On The Anime Network
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

At Crackle:
Nodame Cantabile (dub only; subs only available via torrents)

Some other excellent shows already recommended are hard to find. Saiunkoku Monogatari, for instance, is in licensing limbo, and the DVDs are out-of-print and very expensive. (There's a bootleg with Chinese and English subtitles that appears at places like Amazon and eBay.) If you know about BitTorrent, there are torrents for this show available if you do a bit of searching at Google.

Twelve Kingdoms is available as a single box set.

Other recommendations available only as torrents:
Dennou Coil
Shion no Ou
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

By the way, I don't see why you're apologizing for being "kind of a feminist." I suspect many of us here would put ourselves in that category.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:02   Link #18
Eragon
Still Alive

Going to second Saiunkoku Monogatari, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Ergo Proxy, Clannad and Nodame Cantabile.

I would really like to recommend Berserk but I don't think you will be able to stand the last episode.

Apart from that............Blood+, Durarara, RomeoXJuliet.

Now, if you want prim proper ladies then watch Maria Watches Over Us
Old 2012-06-05, 15:17   Link #19
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Well, nearly all of Miyazaki has female leads... he was noted for being a feminist and I respect him for that...

I might repeat the rest but I'll just say it again.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's delivery Service
Spirited Away
Whispers of the Heart
Only Yesterday
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro
Basically all Miyazaki's films fit the suggestion.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

Old 2012-06-05, 16:12   Link #20
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Third to Saiunkoku Monogatari. One of the best female protagonist stories that come to my mind in recent years.
Closed Thread