AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 21:04   Link #1881
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
*Looks at chapter, recalls that one Vivid fan art*

Huh, so Rio does use a sword.
Old 2012-02-02, 23:16   Link #1882
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Maybe, but it's not like that would matter much for a Belkan Lord.
I was talking to another poster who felt that it was a shame that Vivio had to "start from scratch" and not take advantage of her heritage.

Said poster wanted Vivio to be more Sankt-Kaiser-ish. Something like Einhart and her heritage.

my point is that we don't know anything about Olivie's style because Vivio doesn't get clear dreams like Einhart.

Because of that we can't be sure if Vivio is acting Sank-Kaiser-ish or not.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 03:11   Link #1883
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I was talking to another poster who felt that it was a shame that Vivio had to "start from scratch" and not take advantage of her heritage.

Said poster wanted Vivio to be more Sankt-Kaiser-ish. Something like Einhart and her heritage.

my point is that we don't know anything about Olivie's style because Vivio doesn't get clear dreams like Einhart.

Because of that we can't be sure if Vivio is acting Sank-Kaiser-ish or not.
We know the Saint King Armor made Olivie nigh-invulnerable, that already tells us that her fighting style and Vivio's were very different. Nigh invulnerable defense VS point-defense calls for very different fighting styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
*Looks at chapter, recalls that one Vivid fan art*

Huh, so Rio does use a sword.
Yeah, looks like that fanartist guessed right. It does feel... weird though that she's never shown the sword before. Why didn't she use it during the vacation training?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 07:07   Link #1884
Skane
Anime Snark

Well, I stand by my statement that Miura is the only "true" underdog in this tournament.

Natch.
Old 2012-02-03, 12:31   Link #1885
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

No arguments there. The girls' clumsy, shy, nervous, has no special heritage and wasn't even that good at fighting. She even screwed up in her winning fight, making a big mistake that nearly cost her the match.
Old 2012-02-03, 12:38   Link #1886
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

^ Yup, her first major win have more to do with Micaiah screwing up by understimating her but Vivio clrealy won't commit such a mistake xDU

Something appealing will be seeing Miura losing her fight spirit after Vivio just shrugged off her ultimate technique and starts receiving an easy beating until someone(Vita, Zafira, Hayate or Vivio herself) snaps her out of it and makes another awesome underdog comeback but ultimately losing the fight, this time with a smile on her face and the cheering of the Yagami-ke xD.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:09   Link #1887
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

It just galls me, really galls me a lot, because it doesn't make a lot of sense... story-wise. They spend so much material, so much advertising on promoting Miura as a character, even going so far as to show her as a representative of Yagami versus the representative of Takamachi, and all of a sudden... they decide to throw her under a bus?

"This is Shinn. Watch Shinn cry, watch Shinn fight! Oops, Kira's here. Bye-bye, Shinn."

W.T.F?

Even if... by some miracle of flying pigs that Vivio loses to Miura, that just leads to another can of worms of butting Vivio out of the competition.

At this point, the only reasonable path I can see is Miura losing(duh...), and she unexpectedly finds solace in Sieg. They somehow strike up a friendship. Maybe Sieg started out the same as Miura, she was just "normal" but became a "badass normal" by training really hard. Which of course inspires Miura.

Sieg curb-stomps her opposition, but suddenly suffers from KEY-AIDS and has to withdraw. Through one way or another, Sieg gets Miura to replace her. Maybe Miura disguises herself with the hoodie? Miura continues to fight in Sieg's stead. There is minimal suspicion at first, because people think Sieg is just feeling weak from her KEY-AIDS.

Miura gets a rematch with Vivio in the finals. At this point, it would be okay to let either side win.

Mind you, this is just ass-pulling, but seriously... it just grates me that they are making Miura meet Vivio so early in the tournament.

Natch.
Old 2012-02-03, 13:20   Link #1888
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

To be fair Miura isn't any kind of second protagonist or anything she's more like a glorified supporting character(trained by an entire family of glorified supporting characters, no less xDU) so her fate against Vivio is very much sealed.

I'm cool with that, it was to be expected, but then again, the execution is what makes me upset. Like Skane said, after all this conmotion and set up for this fight of the Yagami representative versus the Takamachi representative i was expecting much more from Miura, Vivio is winning a bit too easy here, compared with all the struggle of previous fights(even if Victoria scored a crushing victory over Chantez she had to work for it as she was initially overwhelmed by the playful nun). It's kind of a let down but at least i hope this is used to apply some character growth on Miura. She's a nervous, insecure pre-teen in her first tournament so, this time, there's no excuse to not having her become emotional over her loss xD.

Forming bonds with Sieglinde will be an interesting subplot xD! ...altough the part where Miura substitutes her seems to be quite unplausible xDU.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-02-03, 13:33   Link #1889
Kuze

Eh, I don't mind Miura's brand of insecurity. She really does have the jitters, she feels her fear, but she also has the guts to not let it cripple her. It's all a struggle for her, but she shines out all the more for it.

It helps pronounce agency! It's a step towards making her a compelling character! Not being static and sameish all the time!

Worse is that there's absolutely no story reason why Vivio has to win this fight. It's expected, sure. But there's nothing at stake for Vivio. Nothing important to be gained. No character growth for her to undergo (so far).

But eh, I guess it's just what was written for the course.
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:37   Link #1890
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Yeah but Vivio's name is in the title and Miura is far from "Final Boss" status, so yeah xDU.

But nah, forget about what i said is my past posts, i finally watched the scans and Miura don't seem all that bothered that the best technique she has in her arsenal turned completely useless by Vivio xDU. Another case of "Wise beyond their years" xD? Why everyone here is so darn mature, it's kind of cool on some characters but sometimes is just boring, another good emotional moment wasted xDU.

...wait, there's still the possibility that Miura breaks down in tears after the fight, yay xD!

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-02-03, 15:28   Link #1891
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Vivio seems to be following in her mothers footsteps of having other characters be more interesting and worth the main character title than herself. I mean, let's start with goals here.

Nanoha helped Yuuno retrieve the jewel seeds because... uhm... he asked for it?

Vivio is participating in this tournament because.. uhm... it's fun?

Though at least Nanoha got a goal for herself when Fate entered the scene ("I want to help this girl who looks so sad" and all). Vivio doesn't have this yet, and there is little sign of a clear personal goal appearing. I hope she gets one soon, because as much as I like here, I have to agree it's rather dull to see her win without a personal goal.
Old 2012-02-03, 19:34   Link #1892
Key Board
Carbon

I think it would be a twist if Vivio's main purpose for this story has already been done (getting Einhart to open up)

and from now the main plot will be about Einhart trying to return the kindness and help Sieglinde with whatever problem she has
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-02-03, 19:36   Link #1893
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Vivio seems to be following in her mothers footsteps of having other characters be more interesting and worth the main character title than herself. I mean, let's start with goals here.
Ah, but Keroko... what if that IS her goal? :P (acting such that other characters are more interesting)
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 19:37   Link #1894
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Blegh, I'd hope not. I like Vivio.
Old 2012-02-03, 19:43   Link #1895
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well unlike Nanoha's "I'm 9 and I don't know what to do with the rest of my life" bit, Vivio's "I'm a 10 year old and just want to have fun" attitude is pretty age appropriate.
Old 2012-02-03, 21:25   Link #1896
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Miura is the Yagami representative, she who had been shafted in Nanoha since time immemorial. She cannot escape the fate of the Yagami name!

That being said, I think ultimately, Miura was designed in hindsight of her character type against her character background. I think that when Tsuzuki was planning the key rivals, Sieglinde and Victoria held a high level of priority in terms of 'the major rivals', and Einhart is the de-facto eternal friend/rival figure to Vivio.

Miura was someone created with a lot of endearing qualities that made her a match to the Yagami family, and the strong factor of her being attached to one of the major recurring characters of the series also makes her more prominent than the 'villains who rarely appear.' And underdog characters always get a strong focus on their ability to overcome odds... at least against less important characters.

If you're going to build an underdog character, but then somehow decides that she's only good as a mid-carder because the story demands she loses before then... then what we get is the current scenario.

That being said, if Vivio wins this easily, I will facepalm since even Corona/Einhart got a fight that was for all accounts, a close fight.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 22:43   Link #1897
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Miura is the Yagami representative, she who had been shafted in Nanoha since time immemorial. She cannot escape the fate of the Yagami name
The Worfenritter curse strikes again xDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
That being said, if Vivio wins this easily, I will facepalm since even Corona/Einhart got a fight that was for all accounts, a close fight.
This, but well, there's still at least one more chapter left, let's see if Miura will go down easily now that Vivio have the clear upper hand.

~The ASFB~
Old 2012-02-04, 03:39   Link #1898
Key Board
Carbon

I have the impression that Corona is anything but average, though
Old 2012-02-04, 04:15   Link #1899
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Given that golem creation was noted to be a rare ability to have, and she did give Einhart, who is the Hayate and Fate style "true main character" a damn good run for her money... yeah, despite her looks and personality Corona is definitely above average.
Old 2012-02-04, 06:09   Link #1900
mechdra

By right, Vivio should win the match but it will be nice if Miura win. Is there a possibility for a draw?
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vivid