AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 46 52.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-13, 02:12   Link #21
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
The two lines in question...

Anaru: "Wuan-piisu ino"
Horny middle-aged ephebophile: "Wuan-piisu, asatte..."

... or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
UTW botched the translation.... The guy was using watching the anime "One Piece" as an excuse to go home early. Nothing about one piece dresses there.
That makes even less sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I wonder if Popo too. You know the reaction at the end plus it looks to me he comes back because of Menma and he offers flowers for her too. His face at the end was pitiful so was Menma crying.
Definitely Poppo has some loose screws, need more proof than the episodes last couple of scenes?

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-05-13 at 04:44.
Old 2011-05-13, 04:31   Link #22
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That makes even less sense
Believe it or not, that's exactly what the guy said. Naruko asks him if he's okay with (missing) One Piece, and he answers that it's only the day after tomorrow.
Old 2011-05-13, 04:47   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

"You should squeeze the pus out of a wound. However, since he's rotten to the core, if you squeeze it all out, there might not be anything left".

Oh, Tsukuro, you...

The "is Menma a ghost or a hallucination?" debate can hopefully be laid to rest now. There's no doubt she's a ghost, since she revealed something only Menma, Yukiatsu (and apparently Tsukuro) could have known.

Not much to say about this episode. I seem to be the odd one out here, I find it very interesting and enjoyable to follow, but this anime doesn't really pull on my heartstrings. They're trying a little too hard in my opinion. Menma crying every episode is getting old.
Old 2011-05-13, 04:54   Link #24
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^^

But still it makes more sense to me bringing as an excuse to go shopping (even very liberally translated), rather than watch a kid's show.

In other words, it is very strange how Naruko got stuck with such friends, she is way too naive
Old 2011-05-13, 05:28   Link #25
darkmanure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
"You should squeeze the pus out of a wound. However, since he's rotten to the core, if you squeeze it all out, there might not be anything left".

Oh, Tsukuro, you...

The "is Menma a ghost or a hallucination?" debate can hopefully be laid to rest now. There's no doubt she's a ghost, since she revealed something only Menma, Yukiatsu (and apparently Tsukuro) could have known.

Not much to say about this episode. I seem to be the odd one out here, I find it very interesting and enjoyable to follow, but this anime doesn't really pull on my heartstrings. They're trying a little too hard in my opinion. Menma crying every episode is getting old.
Mentally she's nine and is a known crybaby. Pretty justified and consistent.
Old 2011-05-13, 05:57   Link #26
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Guess I'm the odd one out that's not getting on the Yukiatsu bandwagon. Tsuruko said it's best that he's rotten to the core, and it looks like he's trying to infect the easily influenced Naruko with his anti-Jinta jargon...
Hm...I do find it a tad hard to believe that he managed to settle so many issues just like that (although Menma's comment about the hairpin, & the 'thank you' (through Jinta) would have helped...), but the look on his face just after he thanked Tsuruko seems to suggest that he might have stopped blaming himself for Menma's death at least...

Quote:
^^

But still it makes more sense to me bringing as an excuse to go shopping (even very liberally translated), rather than watch a kid's show.

In other words, it is very strange how Naruko got stuck with such friends, she is way too naive

But no one said anything about going shopping, just something like "we're off. Naruko-chan says she not feeling too well. Also, I have school early tomorrow, after all, and I want to watch One Piece too"...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-05-13, 06:41   Link #27
Sebasu
~

Loved the episode as usual. Though I wasn't really sold on Menma's crying (I kind of felt 'numb' to her now, it's like I already know she's gonna cry every episode), but Yukiatsu's scenes are really well done. It's better than any soap operas on air here.

I enjoyed the awkward conversation between Anaru and Yukiatsu on the train, as well as everything with Tsuruko in it. I'm hoping we're finally getting to know more of this ice queen next episode.

And my, Poppo scared me on the last part. It's like he's lost it with his expression. Poor guy
Old 2011-05-13, 07:24   Link #28
RedWing

This episode was quite good, other than the stereotypical rape guy, and the annoying crying. The characters are starting to behave like people, although it still strikes me weird that half the group seems to need a serious talk with a psychologist. Yukiatsu seems to have had a sudden mental reversal, but it's not too bad as his character now is much more real (the way he was talking with Naruko worked well), Poppo seems to have his own mental problems, Jinta is a NEET, and Naruko seems blissfully naive. End of the episode strikes a good question though, Why is Menma here? Why only to Yukiatsu? If ghosts can exist and appear to people why hasn't Jinta's mother seen him? You'd think he'd have a greater connection to his mother than a friend that died 5 years ago.
Old 2011-05-13, 07:33   Link #29
CWW
Lurker

Looking a lil' crazy there, Poppo.

Thank God someone stepped in to prevent Anaru from being impure. In all seriousness though, she may be naive, but if I were a high school girl in a pretty dress, it wouldn't cross my mind that he's out to forcefully take advantage of me. Guys can be such jerks. Well, I hope she's learned her lesson now and finally ignore her bros hos.
Old 2011-05-13, 07:47   Link #30
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I don't get why people are complaining about Menma crying. She cried before yes but the tears at the end were very different.

Before it was sadness for friends and family or just childlike tears (think of when a child tries to have her friends make up and end up crying), but the one that end...ouch.

It's pure frustration. She doesn't know what she is and why she's there. Her friends are broken and she's helpless. First Yukiatsu, then Poppo is begging for her attention and she can't reach them.

Good job with Yukiatsu though. I've never really been on his hate bandwagon but it's good his wounds, deep and rather unhinged, are starting to heal. And hey he saved Anaru then tested her for the lulz.

...but we haven't learned yet why he blame himself for her death.

Oh, and it's confirmed Tsukuro is in love with a worthless guy and she can't help it. Too bad for Jinta's Harem end.

One last thing, I'm waiting for Jinta to throw his lot in. He has serious justifications for his passivity, but eventually he'd have to step up and do what he could for Menma and himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasu View Post
And my, Poppo scared me on the last part. It's like he's lost it with his expression. Poor guy
I always knew he had some issues. There's no way a shy, follower-type kid would suddenly throw away normal life to travel the world without something pushing him on. He's as lonely as anyone.
Old 2011-05-13, 08:04   Link #31
cyth
Banned

The last scene with Poppo calling Menma had me thinking he might have developed a thing for young girls because of her. He's visited Thailand three times now, judging from his map, hasn't he? I hear the lolita sex industry is pretty developed there. Then he visited Vietnam, and Dubai, and all these other really shady places across South-East and South-West Asia. Dude is obese and a few years off from becoming a full-fledged pedophile. Hopefully the Super Peace Busters save him as well.
Old 2011-05-13, 08:09   Link #32
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The last scene with Poppo calling Menma had me thinking he might have developed a thing for young girls because of her. He's visited Thailand three times now, judging from his map, hasn't he? I hear the lolita sex industry is pretty developed there. Then he visited Vietnam, and Dubai, and all these other really shady places across South-East and South-West Asia. Dude is obese and a few years off from becoming a full-fledged pedophile. Hopefully the Super Peace Busters save him as well.
Wow man, lolz reason on what's happening to Popo
Old 2011-05-13, 08:24   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Oh, Tsukuro, you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebasu View Post
Loved the episode as usual. Though I wasn't really sold on Menma's crying (I kind of felt 'numb' to her now, it's like I already know she's gonna cry every episode), but Yukiatsu's scenes are really well done. It's better than any soap operas on air here.

I enjoyed the awkward conversation between Anaru and Yukiatsu on the train, as well as everything with Tsuruko in it. I'm hoping we're finally getting to know more of this ice queen next episode.

Great points by both of you, and I largely (if not entirely) agree with both of you.

Yukiatsu has actually become the character that interests me the most in this anime. Every scene with him in it in this episode was great, and he had some excellent dialogue.

I also liked Tsuruko in Episode 5, who indeed had the wittiest line of the episode.

However, I also think that Okada is laying it on a bit too thick when it comes to Menma and her crying. If this was something like a 3 or 4 episode OVA that would be fine, but sustaining this high level of heavy emotionality for seemingly every episode of a one cour run is not something I'm capable of, I have to admit. I too am growing numb to Menma as such.
Old 2011-05-13, 08:34   Link #34
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
^^

No, regardless of whether it makes sense for you or not, you would be making up lines instead of what's actually being said.

He DID use One Piece, the anime that comes on Sunday mornings, as an excuse to get out. He said he has to go since he gotta get up early in the morning, and don't want to miss One Piece. His friend goes dude that's day after tomorrow.
Later, Anaru tries to get out of the situation by asking him hey you don't want to miss One Piece right? To which he replies nah, that's day after tomorrow.

Japanese is my native, and I'm telling you, they ARE referring to the anime One Piece.
Old 2011-05-13, 08:43   Link #35
cyth
Banned

Malkuth is probably not a One Piece fan to know why this is imporant. Then again, I think the whole situation was done tongue-in-cheek.
Old 2011-05-13, 09:28   Link #36
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So Yukiatsu admits that he feels responsible for Menma's death. Since we still don't know the details behind her death, i'm assuming he feels responsible because of they way she turned him down and she became all flustered. At least a little tough love from Tsuroku helped him to stop cross-dressing. I wonder if he believes Jintan now ecause he knew about the hairpin that he gave Menma.

Tsuroku's lines were great once again. Didn't expect her to fid and keep the hairpin though. She really likes Yukiatsu but just frustrated that he won't get over Menma. Not surprising that she would still act normal around him though.

Anaru really has to ditch those girls. Any indication of how bad they were can be seen when they said they would stop being friends just because she's been a little distant from them recently. Also they expected something to happen when she left. She really is naive but she should pick up on these things, especially f she changes into sexier clothes.

Never liked Yukiatsu, but glad he followed her. I guess he picked up on Tsuroku's hint about the change of clothes. Though don't get why he asked about her virginity, kind of random. Like her cute reaction and being flustered about him asking her out though. Also being flustered about talking about Jintan. Didn't understand what he meat about both being left behind.

Jintan really has to step up and deal with why Menma is here. Felt bad when he side-stepped her asking to grant her wish. The guy is the least busy out of anyone possible but uses that as an excuse. At least he realized that he shouldn't have said that.

Popo finally showed a side of him that wasn't so happy go lucky. Was he replaces flowers by the river? I'm assuming that's for Menma. Also when he was eating dinner with Jintan, he looked totally desperate to see her. He really does miss her as well. Felt bad when he kept asking to see her and to help grant her nirvana. At least Jintan stepped up and made him stop, but the Menma was already crying by that point.
Old 2011-05-13, 09:35   Link #37
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Didn't understand what he meat about both being left behind.
Yukiatsu said Naruko and him were left behind because they both still have unrequited love for someone from their childhood friend, with no hope of their feelings changing, but are unable to move on.

Team Broken Hearts! These two need to get together, if only to spur Tsuruko and Jintan (well, maybe not Jintan) into some drastic action.
Old 2011-05-13, 09:44   Link #38
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

This show is so depressing, but It's so enjoyable

Here's what I don't get... Menma can physically interact with things... why don't she just do something around the others to let them know that her spirit is indeed there... and communicate to the others that way? Its pretty apparent that she desires to talk to everyone about something...
Old 2011-05-13, 09:47   Link #39
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post

Though don't get why he asked about her virginity, kind of random.
I think that's just a reaction to him being called a crossdresser, and was meant to point out an embarrassing "fault" of hers.

While Naruko should definitely ditch her current ho bag friends, she still has to be comfortable around any new set of friends she would be around. I don't think she's there yet with her childhood friends. But that's pretty much where we're heading.
Old 2011-05-13, 10:00   Link #40
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Here's what I don't get... Menma can physically interact with things... why don't she just do something around the others to let them know that her spirit is indeed there... and communicate to the others that way? Its pretty apparent that she desires to talk to everyone about something...
It's a recurring question and "plot device" tends to be the common answer. Something very close has been done in this episode though: Menma communicating to one of her friends (Yukiatsu) using Jintan as "medium", telling things only she and the other person could know.
However, I personally find people slowly starting to believe Jintan as more gratifying than having the big revelation in one go. At the same time, Menma's desperation about her inability to do anything to support her friends adds a lot to the drama.