AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-08-12, 00:29   Link #61
Hazelshock
Touch the bread and die

lol very true Illlidan should have been a much harder challenge
Hazelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 01:17   Link #62
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
"Well, Arthas is no chump, so you won't be able to defeat him at level 70..."

So Illidan WAS a chump.

F U, blizz. F U.
Just because this fanboyism is getting on my nerves, I feel compelled to mention that upon defeating Illidan (with the help of Akama and Maiev, 2 lvl 70 named NPC heroes) there is a chance that amongst the shiny loot he can drop will be... wait for it... The Skull of Gul'dan. That's right, the all-powerful artifact is there for any player to claim - except it isn't even very good. A decent bonus to spell hit rate and damage, the only thing it does uniquely is hasten spell recharge for a short time.

So, is your world thoroughly destroyed yet? No? Maybe the Lich King will drop Frostmourne so that some grubby barbarian can pick their teeth with it.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-12, 04:09   Link #63
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj View Post
So, is your world thoroughly destroyed yet? No? Maybe the Lich King will drop Frostmourne so that some grubby barbarian can pick their teeth with it.
So you equip it and become the next schmo leach king NPC.
Would be cool if blizzard do something like: if you don't defeat Arthus your character will die for real!
Old 2007-08-13, 04:17   Link #64
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj View Post
Just because this fanboyism is getting on my nerves, I feel compelled to mention that upon defeating Illidan (with the help of Akama and Maiev, 2 lvl 70 named NPC heroes) there is a chance that amongst the shiny loot he can drop will be... wait for it... The Skull of Gul'dan. That's right, the all-powerful artifact is there for any player to claim - except it isn't even very good. A decent bonus to spell hit rate and damage, the only thing it does uniquely is hasten spell recharge for a short time.

This post was crafted with WIN.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 16:43   Link #65
WhiteWings

Enabling the defeat and the end of the Lich King would be suicidal for Blizzard. The World of Warcraft would be a LOT less interesting and fun after that.
Old 2007-08-15, 11:25   Link #66
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

That may be the idea, should they wish to create a new game like say WoS somethings gotta go.
Old 2007-08-15, 11:27   Link #67
Ending

Quote:
he kept many vials from the Well of eternity, and created a new one with some vials.
This was the major sin he ever did
I don't think it was that bad, since if we take into a roleplaying perspective, wouldn't you strongly approve of saving the central piece of your culture at any cost? IIRC, the pool or whatever was very important to the elves, so by saving it Illidan basically became their hero.

And because of this *good* deed, his brother, who should had already been shot to face once for imprisoning someone for such a long time, thinks he got the right to punish him once more? I mean: that's some thankless git there. If I would get to choose, I would much rather join with Illidan in attempt to rebuild the lost High Elven culture instead of levelling its remains with the (mandatory) quest-line.

You could say that everyone who got the best gear in the game got it at the expense of genocide.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 11:49   Link #68
hooliganj
Team Player

Of course the fact that many of them are playing survivors of that same race would put a hole in your reasoning.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-15, 12:26   Link #69
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
I don't think it was that bad, since if we take into a roleplaying perspective, wouldn't you strongly approve of saving the central piece of your culture at any cost? IIRC, the pool or whatever was very important to the elves, so by saving it Illidan basically became their hero.
Well most likely... not ^^'.
The Kaldorei were split into 2 : the "common" caste and the highborne.
the later group became the Sin'dorei, later becoming the High elves, then the blood elves as we know today.

Most kaldorei didn't approve the reckless use and consomption of the arcane energies, and were following the druidic concepts from Cenarius.

After the Sundering, it is quite clear that except the Sin'dorei, absolutely no night elves would claime Illidan as their hero, for the new well of eternity.
That said, ironically, the well of eternity is the energy source for Nordrassil, which granted Immortality to the night elves, thanks to Alextrasza and Nozdormu.

Illidan is definitely not a "hero" for the Kaldorei, since the war of the ancients, the Sundering.
Quote:
And because of this *good* deed, his brother, who should had already been shot to face once for imprisoning someone for such a long time, thinks he got the right to punish him once more? I mean: that's some thankless git there. If I would get to choose, I would much rather join with Illidan in attempt to rebuild the lost High Elven culture instead of levelling its remains with the (mandatory) quest-line.
It is indeed true, but the High Elven culture was most likely the Highborne's, not exactly the Kaldorei's.
I don't pretend that Malfurion did the good thing, but OTOH, Malfurion was kinda "kind" (or desperate?) enough to accept Illidan help, despite he blatantly betray him already several times (his allegiance with the Crazed Azshara, and even before, when Illidan captured his brother and Broxxigar, when they were trying to seal the Dragon Soul, freshly stolen from Deathwing)

You can tell the well of eternity was the "enough is enough".
*guh* i guess i should re-read the novel.
Quote:
You could say that everyone who got the best gear in the game got it at the expense of genocide.
Hahaha, true enough ^^
But that's why Illidan was considered as an outcast for the whole Night elves, since his ideology wasn't accepted by the Night elves culture (this is also the lore factor for the "demon hunters" in the game, though, canonically, there shouldn't be any demon hunter, lore wise)

This is mainly the Night Elves weakness : their pride and their conservatism are the main problem for their "evolution". Their stubborness and "fear" (well most likely traumatized with what happened during the Sundering) seal completely what they believe.
Strag'helm is a living example of this, raising Teldrassil, getting completely insane during the war of the sands etc.
Old 2007-08-16, 10:37   Link #70
StarTouch
Yandere for win :O

I picked up "vanilla" WoW about 2 1/2 years back to hopefully catch up on the lore and story after WC3 : TFT. The quests then were alright for the most part but never quite got me hooked.

Over time, after countless 5-man dungeons and 10-15 man dungeons (Blackrock Spire at that time was considered a 10-15 man raid dungeon), I met new friends and decided that raiding was the thing for me. It made perfect sense at the time as my goal was to see content and experience lore. No solo / small-group quest or 5-man dungeon made me feel as excited as the then-40 man raids. I soon got hooked into things and eventually got invited to a raiding guild, where I earned my spot as a core raider.

I've never since looked back and enjoyed banging my head against walls in the raiding scene. Molten Core and Blackwing Lair were mostly "tank and spank" instances that soon came to be farmed across many servers by many guilds / alliances. Over time, they even became "pug-able". They were epic for their time but the true jewel of raiding was Naxxramas and the very end of AQ40. They truly held the most brilliant encounters I've ever had the pleasure of participating in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

The Burning Crusade has been somewhat of a letdown in terms of raiding. Downscaling the raid size to 25 instead of 40 was a good move by Blizzard to appease the more "casual" crowd but it left this raider feeling a bit let down.

A lot of encounters these days are mostly as follows :

Anti-melee ability? Check.

Adds phase? Check.

Enrage timer? Check.

AoE ability? Check.

I can't help but feel a cookie-cutter trend across the many bosses that I've faced thus far in TBC and they're mostly lacking the "epic" feel that Naxxramas' encounters had. Only one outstanding encounter comes to mind thus far and that is Kael'thas Sunstrider. I absolutely love the complex nature of the encounter. 5 phases to test your entire raid (though phase 1 is quite a snooze fest but it picks up shortly after). An incredibly mobile fight which forces your raid to pay attention at all times, this is quite possibly the best-designed encounter in the game which allows virtually any type of raid composition to succeed and STILL be difficult.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

So what would I like to see in the next expansion?

1) More 10-15 man dungeons to help out the more casual bunch of players.

2) Better designed raid encounters that are complex, require players to be mobile and pay full attention at all times.

3) Less nerfing to certain abilities of boss encounters just because people are dumb and can't MOVE OUT OF THAT BIG BLAZING RING OF FIRE. It's nothing about being an elitist. I just dislike whiners who can't execute a plain, simple task. =\

4) More cool quests! ^_^
Old 2007-08-19, 07:58   Link #71
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

A question about Illidan. Do they get illidan killed? I know there is an Illiadan PVE but does he actually die in the game?. or he runs away? Does any one know?
Old 2007-08-19, 08:04   Link #72
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
he dies clear as day ~ so as the lore stands it is a canon death

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 08:34   Link #73
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
he dies clear as day ~ so as the lore stands it is a canon death
What did Lore stand for again? And what do you mean by canon death?

Because i was thinking if they killed DH, wouldnt that decrease the chances of Wc4 in future? Also wasnt DH supposed to have been killed by Arthas? The last thing in wc3 tft story line was that Arthas fights DH and kills him.
Old 2007-08-19, 08:38   Link #74
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
What did Lore stand for again? And what do you mean by canon death?

Because i was thinking if they killed DH, wouldnt that decrease the chances of Wc4 in future? Also wasnt DH supposed to have been killed by Arthas? The last thing in wc3 tft story line was that Arthas fights DH and kills him.
This is because the lore in WOW is continuous despite the "static" aspect of the world. Also, they involved Maiev Shadowsong during the end of the encounter, so odds that illidan's death is canon are high.

despite his big role in Warcraft lore, Illidan isn't a mandatory for WC4.

also, no, he was never killed by Arthas. Indeed, he was seriously wounded by him, but it wasn't lethal. It was stated Illidan was taken care by Vashj and Kael'thas, and they made their way to outland, so Illidan could rest, and avoid Kil'jaeden's wrath.
Old 2007-08-19, 08:41   Link #75
Westlo
Lets be reality

WC4 could take place 20 or 40 years after WC3, actually I'm pretty sure there will be a massive time jump between the games with Illidans death and all.
Old 2007-08-19, 10:21   Link #76
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:43.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 20:21   Link #77
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
I personally would have preferred that the next expansion would center around the Maelstrom; and the naga threat underseas. It'd add a nice dimension to the game, and with their artists, I'm sure it would have an amazing atmosphere surrounding it. Perhaps introduce player-owned ships/piracy...

That way, the game would have something new while still having an ultimate goal (Arthas) to keep interest higher in the long run. I think having the Northrend expansion this early was a bad move. Oh well; not my decision, and I won't be complaining. An expansion is an expansion!
Old 2007-08-19, 22:33   Link #78
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well the thing is, the Naga were under Illidan's command. Without Illidan, the Naga are pretty much pointless.

I'm just wondering how blizzard is going to get themselves out of this whole by basically killing off every single active character. Illidan downed, Arthas downed, Furion taking a snooze, burning legion except Kiljaeden downed, so who's left?

Frankly, I would just be a huge fan for a retcon if blizz announced that all of this was non-canon.
Old 2007-08-20, 04:51   Link #79
StarTouch
Yandere for win :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Well the thing is, the Naga were under Illidan's command. Without Illidan, the Naga are pretty much pointless.
The Naga are actually under their queen's, Azshara, command. There's still their stronghold of Nazjatar deep down under the Maelstorm.

The Naga >> under Lady Vashj << sided with Illidan as allies. Even though Illidan has been killed off in lore, it wouldn't be very accurate to assume that the Nagas are pointless at this point of time. After all, Queen Azshara isn't going to be polishing her nails for the rest of eternity. ^_^

On a side note : Malfurion isn't really taking a "snooze". According to various quests, he is doing battle (and is also trapped) against "The Nightmare" in the Emerald Dream at the moment.
Old 2007-08-20, 08:12   Link #80
Westlo
Lets be reality

Isn't Azshara more powerful than Arthas anyway?

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows