AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-05-25, 10:41   Link #26021
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
@loon1688

Damn you. I was considering getting AGE-1 and AGE-3, but now I really want to get them!

Just get all the Age MG kits. =P

I got them all so far. Waiting for Age-2 Normal, Double Bullet, Age-3 Normal, Fortress, Orbital... Hoping for Woolf's 3 suits, but if the don't come I will get the HG's...
Old 2012-05-25, 10:42   Link #26022
kakakka

Not fan of the MGs.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 10:58   Link #26023
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

@loon1688

Very nice! Those SDs of yours make me drool .
Old 2012-05-25, 11:30   Link #26024
firefox
Seed seeder

I just saw new pictures of the MG marasai. I'm quite dissapointed with it's surface detail. It's really plain....so not alot of pannelining to do. You could easily mistake it for a 1/100 HG.

Don't care about Age alot, give me MG Zaku Warrior
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 11:37   Link #26025
Providenceangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
I just saw new pictures of the MG marasai. I'm quite dissapointed with it's surface detail. It's really plain....so not alot of pannelining to do. You could easily mistake it for a 1/100 HG.
This is true... But it does give the option of lots of customization. Maybe that was the intention? It appeals to both the lazy and the creative.
Providenceangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 12:45   Link #26026
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Mobile Suit Gundam Age-3 - Vegan Gundams
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MZmZ37Nii-.../www.dotup.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aR9K5-yZQt...org3018186.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6gzQz9pGli...org3018188.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S7Qb4jgkfZ...org3018189.jpg

Looks awfully similar to the designs for O Gundam (w/ hints of Wing Gundam) and 00 Qan[T] (with hints of Age-1 Normal)... o_O
Old 2012-05-25, 12:48   Link #26027
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnike629xx View Post

Looks awfully similar to the designs for O Gundam and 00 Qan[T]... o_O
Asides from the clear green parts (which can be anything at this moment) I'm not seeing the similarities to the 00 or the Qan[T], especially for the tentatively named "AGE-X" (though the chest reminds me of the Harute, but only distantly). And the actual Vagan Gundam has a much noticeable resemblance to the Nu Gundam, at least for the head.

Both are still quite the departure from the traditional Gundam designs though, bar the Turn-A Gundam.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 13:26   Link #26028
pumpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnike629xx View Post
Mobile Suit Gundam Age-3 - Vegan Gundams
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MZmZ37Nii-.../www.dotup.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aR9K5-yZQt...org3018186.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6gzQz9pGli...org3018188.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S7Qb4jgkfZ...org3018189.jpg

Looks awfully similar to the designs for O Gundam (w/ hints of Wing Gundam) and 00 Qan[T] (with hints of Age-1 Normal)... o_O
the 1st one looks like a harute, legs are pretty weird imo.. the 2nd one looks like a mix of the gafran chest and dorado's legs in gundam colors.
pumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 14:10   Link #26029
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quite like them actually, 2nd one looks kinda like a Wing/F-91 hybrid, like that one quite abit.
Like the head on it, kinda knight like.
I think it would look pretty cool in Sinanju or Char red colour scheme might make it look pretty awesome.
Old 2012-05-25, 16:20   Link #26030
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

somehow it remind me to this

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 19:37   Link #26031
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
There's a reason for that. Bandai is trying to attract the older crowds who grew up watching Zeta by sculpting the Marasai just as it how it appeared in the original animation.

They have done it with Ver 2 of the RX-78, Zaku II, Gouf and Gelgoog and those sold relativly well.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 20:06   Link #26032
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
They have done it with Ver 2 of the RX-78, Zaku II, Gouf and Gelgoog and those sold relativly well.
And the interesting thing is Gouf 2.0 not only better articulation-wise but also design-wise which is pretty odd since Gouf 2.0 follows the oldies design from the anime .
Old 2012-05-26, 02:34   Link #26033
firefox
Seed seeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
There's a reason for that. Bandai is trying to attract the older crowds who grew up watching Zeta by sculpting the Marasai just as it how it appeared in the original animation.

I built the gelgoog 2.0 (grey-green version) It has way more surface detail then this Marasai.

The rx-78 2.0 and the gouf 2.0 aree poor excuses for an MG, they rank in my personal list amoung bandai's greatest flops, no presentations what so ever compared to my OYW version. But that's a very personal opinion.

Marasai is from zeta gundam, so it should coinside with detail like the RX-178 MK II, which has great surface detailling in MG and even better is RG.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 03:26   Link #26034
RX93-2
White Unicorn

How wrong can you be, Gundam 2.0 is still easily one of the 3 best kits bandai has ever produced. The style choice keeps the outer armor clean but that doesn't diminish it's quality as a kit.

There is a huge difference between bad/flop and not to your taste.
RX93-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 03:44   Link #26035
Appel

Quote:
I built the gelgoog 2.0 (grey-green version) It has way more surface detail then this Marasai.

The rx-78 2.0 and the gouf 2.0 aree poor excuses for an MG, they rank in my personal list amoung bandai's greatest flops, no presentations what so ever compared to my OYW version. But that's a very personal opinion.

Marasai is from zeta gundam, so it should coinside with detail like the RX-178 MK II, which has great surface detailling in MG and even better is RG.
i agree with RX93-2. the RX-78-2 2.0 is amazing!
a model kit isnt always just about the looks. its also about articulation, balance and how you actually have to put it together.
you might not like the looks of it but that doesnt make it a terrible kit!
you are looking at it from an objective way only and completely ignore what lies under the relatively boring armor.
and when you look at it from a subjective way you will realize that the kit looks EXACTLY like the machine that appeared in one of the most iconic works of sci-fi ever. and lots of people love the kit because of that.
i mean, its not a coincidence that almost everyone recommends this kit as an absolute must have :P
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 04:31   Link #26036
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I'm not questioning your personal taste, but I don't think it's right to say that Gouf 2.0 as "poor excuses" or a "flop". First, like I said before, the kit is excellent articulation-wise and design-wise. The improvement makes it like heaven and earth compared to the ver 1.0. Second, it sells pretty well IIRC so that doesn't make it a flop.
Old 2012-05-26, 07:46   Link #26037
calubin_175

Bandai did start to cut back on panel line detail starting from the Zaku Ver.2.0, and then pretty completely from the GN-X. I think it was to maintain the selling price due to the rising cost of plastics. Perhaps, they also expected expert modelers to scribe panel lines themselves. It was nice to see panel lines return on the AGE and Duel Gundam though.

However, now the AGE-1 and Marasai don't even have an ABS frame.

If you want sculpt and detail, even the late 90s and early 2000s MGs would suffice. At that time articulation was not even a main consideration as they haven't quite discovered the need for it yet.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 08:49   Link #26038
Providenceangle

Having worked in the plastic industry, I've learned a thing or two about hot injection molding. It's very hard to do things like panel lines on a mold and keep consistent flow throughout the mold process. You see this when bandai tries to make special colours, where you see the flow lines in the plastic. Lots of other issues as well, such as flash(heavy flow causing excess plastic on the parts). I've seen times working on a machine for hours to get one hour of good parts! Lots of factors contribute to it, such as the machine, the maintenance of said machine, the operator of the machine...

It's not as simple as putting details on a mold either. It's extremely expensive to engineer a mold. If it's a high shine part, it requires polished chrome plating. An even more expensive process.

The fact that bandai is able to produce what they do is impressive from my point of view, having worked many aspects of their production.
Providenceangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 09:04   Link #26039
Appel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providenceangle View Post
Having worked in the plastic industry, I've learned a thing or two about hot injection molding. It's very hard to do things like panel lines on a mold and keep consistent flow throughout the mold process. You see this when bandai tries to make special colours, where you see the flow lines in the plastic. Lots of other issues as well, such as flash(heavy flow causing excess plastic on the parts). I've seen times working on a machine for hours to get one hour of good parts! Lots of factors contribute to it, such as the machine, the maintenance of said machine, the operator of the machine...

It's not as simple as putting details on a mold either. It's extremely expensive to engineer a mold. If it's a high shine part, it requires polished chrome plating. An even more expensive process.

The fact that bandai is able to produce what they do is impressive from my point of view, having worked many aspects of their production.
i know what you mean! it really isnt that simple and i can see why they would want to cut down on costs a little.
plus, when i compare it to other brands like revell then the quality of their models is even more impressive! the revell kits look like someone made the lining channels with a butterknife :P
and im not mad when a kit like the marasai looks a little less detailed. because i like models that look exactly like they did in the anime!
also, other new kits like the MG duel have an insane amount of details! so we are getting both and they are doing it appropriately.
the marasai is a kit from an old show so it gets less details while the duel is from a show that is just now being remastered in HD so it gets more details. makes sense to me!
kits with an oldschool look already worked out well for them with all the MG 2.0 kits, too.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 09:09   Link #26040
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Anyway...

HG Exia R2
HG Reborns Gundam
HG 1.5 Gundam
HG Avalanche Dash Exia
HG O Gundam (Type ACD)
HG O Gundam (Roll Out)

Those are the 6 HG kits I will be getting. Going to also get some Mr. Hobby acrylic paints and flat top coat cans. =)

Where can I get the paints the cheapest online? I live in the US.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy