AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-03-21, 10:48   Link #6221
ridgezipline

hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
We didn't get any true indication that she actually loved Hayate until recently, during the entire EotW arc she never actually says the words.
Kicking someone in the stomach and then when they complain about it calling it the pain of love? Sure, sounds like she loves him a lot.
you're looking at that aspect waaaay too much..
kissing and flirting suggest she likes him a lot, if you dont want to call it love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
I could laugh at this, seriously...

Is that single line of Hina really so important and deep that she herself would have to sit and re-think to herself what she said when she confirmed Athena as Hayate's ex girlfriend? Such an insignificant little spur of the moment line really needs to stop being brought up so often...
yep, at that moment it becomes too trivial a detail if the person you like just confessed the he's been in love with someone else for 10 years...
ridgezipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 10:53   Link #6222
babohtea

What line from Hina are we talking about, here?

I don't think little kids can eloquently describe their love. I mean, even to their parents you get stuff like "MY BESTEST DAD". XD
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 11:16   Link #6223
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post

I don't think little kids can eloquently describe their love. I mean, even to their parents you get stuff like "MY BESTEST DAD". XD
her saying "So that little witch is the reason for his twisted mentality" back when Hayate explained to them about how he cant get a girlfriend if he isnt financially reliable.

I really dont understand why such a line which was obviously meant as a joke almost 100 chapters before Athena enters the picture keeps being brought up by people when they try to make arguments against Athena and Hayate's relationship...oh well I guess digging through anything is valid in these things
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 11:20   Link #6224
ridgezipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post

the one where hina refer athena as a 'witch' (i think o_o)

yep most kids are just trying to identify what their feelings are, but they are capable of expressing them well in their own ways
ridgezipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 13:17   Link #6225
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I just decided to catch up on the Hayate manga after having it on hiatus for a few years, actually having left it right before the introduction of Athena. As of now I have cleared the end of the world arc(187ish), and I would like to offer up my own personal view having read the event back to back vs reading them over the course of a few years plus a bit of speculative opinion ill be using when viewing the current events descibed here.

First a little hhistory, Ive been using this thread to spoil myself since the end of the world arc, so eh.

Anyway, I have found that the events described here are never nearly as cut and dried as what is descibed here. For instance, the end of the world arc was not nearly as groundbreaking as I was lead to believe, although I do think it was a touching story in and of itself, however judging from the end of the arc and even with taking these events with a grain of salt the arc seems to have totally shifted the foundation of the story. Like I imagine one or two of you have previously stated, its like the author went on a wild tangent, and went in a completely new direction with his story right in the middle of it.

Its a complaint that goes beyond shipping wars. Athena is a good character in her own right, but I feel she completely deserved her own story instead of the authors attempt to cram EVERY STORY HE HAS EVER CAME UP WITH into one and then insering her so late in the manga in order to take the lead as the main love interest. If and when that is tranlated to anime, I dont think itll go over well with the audience either.

So Ill be suspending my disbelief for now when taking these events into account. As I catch up Ill post further opinion if anyone finds it interesting.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 13:43   Link #6226
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
....I feel she completely deserved her own story instead of the authors attempt to cram EVERY STORY HE HAS EVER CAME UP WITH into one and then insering her so late in the manga in order to take the lead as the main love interest.
Athena was created by and for this story alone as she was the intended to be the female lead. Nagi's character was derived from Athena, and they were also intended to be the same character. I guess Athena was too capable and independent as a mistress to give the butler time to shine.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 13:59   Link #6227
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Athena was created by and for this story alone as she was the intended to be the female lead. Nagi's character was derived from Athena, and they were also intended to be the same character. I guess Athena was too capable and independent as a mistress to give the butler time to shine.
Uh, no, Mr. Did-Not-Do-The-Research, Athena's story was originally some other manga called 'Royal Garden', but no one liked it enough for it to become a series so Hata shoehorned it into HnG.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 14:02   Link #6228
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
her saying "So that little witch is the reason for his twisted mentality" back when Hayate explained to them about how he cant get a girlfriend if he isnt financially reliable.

I really dont understand why such a line which was obviously meant as a joke almost 100 chapters before Athena enters the picture keeps being brought up by people when they try to make arguments against Athena and Hayate's relationship...oh well I guess digging through anything is valid in these things
Actually, I'm referring to the line in the current arc, when Hina finds out that Athena is the one who taught him that. It's just a throwaway line when it's said, but significantly less when it's not taken back after she realizes that this is the girl Hayate 'loves'.

It's notably right after his 'confession', which I am amused I can use the exact same wording, and I don't think there's any question about my feelings for her.

Given that we're told that in the hands of the inexperienced, the sword the inexperienced one is holding is the more dangerous, by Hina even, I don't think it matters what Athena can do with a sword. Hayate hasn't handled a sword most likely before this, but he's trained with a real sword?
We're shown that many of the materials for making a bamboo sword exist in the garden, so saying that Athena can only summon real swords is rather immaterial.

Are we forgetting that Athena kicked Hayate to teach him other lessons and when he was complaining that it hurt he was essentially told 'quit crying you baby'?
This is on top of the sword fighting training.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.

Last edited by Bastion_Arcion; 2010-03-21 at 14:14.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 14:07   Link #6229
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
Uh, no, Mr. Did-Not-Do-The-Research, Athena's story was originally some other manga called 'Royal Garden', but no one liked it enough for it to become a series so Hata shoehorned it into HnG.
Yes, did you?
The intended to be main characters in the "Royal Garden" were Hayate and Athena (the very same characters right now). The title "Royal Garden" was changed to "Hayate to Gotoku," not a different manga.
Old 2010-03-21, 14:51   Link #6230
Used Can

Actually, from what I've heard, Royal Garden wasn't going to have a harem. It was just a mistress and her butler, but since harems sell well, and tunderes were very popular, they decided to make some changes.

I think, in the end, sales levels for these volumes will have the final say on whether the more serious storyline would have been a good idea or not (well, back then it may have been different though). It's worked for Negima fairly well.
Old 2010-03-21, 14:57   Link #6231
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Are we forgetting that Athena kicked Hayate to teach him other lessons and when he was complaining that it hurt he was essentially told 'quit crying you baby'?
you would never survive boot camp
Old 2010-03-21, 15:05   Link #6232
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
you would never survive boot camp
So you're saying a six-year-old would be able to?

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 15:24   Link #6233
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Given that we're told that in the hands of the inexperienced, the sword the inexperienced one is holding is the more dangerous, by Hina even, I don't think it matters what Athena can do with a sword. Hayate hasn't handled a sword most likely before this, but he's trained with a real sword?
We're shown that many of the materials for making a bamboo sword exist in the garden, so saying that Athena can only summon real swords is rather immaterial..
Inexperienced sword holders are dangerous for others because they have no control and hit randomly. And as you can see, Athena had no problem dealing with that fact.

When I said Athena could only summon real swords, I wasn't denying Athena that could train Hayate with plastic swords or paper sword; you know, for safety purposes. But those swords are not neccessary if the teacher is highly skilled, and Athena was confident that she will bring harm to neither Hayate or herself. That's that.

The 6 years old Hayate could probably beat the crap out of any kendo students under Hina; you know, those guys with bamboo swords. That makes me want to see Nagi train under Athena for a year. Nagi vs Hina. =D

Quote:
I want to see Athena gives him some more kicking.
Old 2010-03-21, 15:25   Link #6234
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
So you're saying a six-year-old would be able to?
you'd be surprised, at how fast a kids can get used to things as they are small...but when all arguments fail we can always fall back to the old point...manga, the beacon of reality
Old 2010-03-21, 15:27   Link #6235
Used Can

I honestly don't see why you guys are so eager about keeping up this discussion, when you guys know you won't change the other person's opinion in the end. It's just a meaningless discussion, in my opinion, and it won't change anything that has happened so far.

Why not change the discussion into what we expect from the new arcs? Will things actually go back to the way they used to be? Nagi no longer has her fortune, and that should change many things. To begin with, they'll have to find a new place to live. They will no longer be able to go to Hakuō (unless Athena and/or Hina can do anything about it), and may start attending to the public school (which may mean more focus for Ayumu). One way or the other, I'm expecting a major focus on Nagi. What I'm wondering is if Maria will get any important focus, considering she's been mostly turned into a gag character. There are still some mysteries about her, but I wonder if, in the end, they'll turn out to be relevant.

Hopefully, I'm wrong on the major focus on Nagi, and many other characters will receive important focus as well, and they'll also move with the plot.
Old 2010-03-21, 15:28   Link #6236
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

at this point I dont care about any character getting developed that isnt named Maria
Old 2010-03-21, 15:38   Link #6237
Used Can

What about Klauss and Tama?
Old 2010-03-21, 15:38   Link #6238
zodanhko
*ignoring*

If a Maria arc appears, she may actually could pull it off. What a twist will that be since she has been left out like forever...
Old 2010-03-21, 15:49   Link #6239
Used Can

That's my point, the mysteries about her are still there, but she's been made into a gag character so much, that I wonder if something serious can be done with her.

She could always be Midas' daughter, who knows?
Old 2010-03-21, 15:50   Link #6240
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Yes, did you?
The intended to be main characters in the "Royal Garden" were Hayate and Athena (the very same characters right now). The title "Royal Garden" was changed to "Hayate to Gotoku," not a different manga.
That is partially true, but I remember a few years ago that Hata also said this was originally supposed to be about Hinagiku, but it ended up being to serious a story to quuualify as Shonen. So using that as my most clear(frooom my memory) example, I go back to my previous statement. It feels like he is cramming every story he has ever written into one. It doesnt matter what it was at the conceptual stage, the point is to bring her in so late is foring me to suspend disbelief, as opposed to the fondness I wouldve felt fo her had I known who she was in the previous 16 volumes. This is supposed to be HnG, not Royal Garden. Anyway, I probably wont catch up all the way until tomorrow.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen