Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-10-10, 00:10   Link #121
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
I have decided that I will make a certain Sniper Larger than life from going from sniper to Tank Striker Unit

Spoiler for My OC:
Coupla things I want to note... Hayha was a rather quiet, unassuming and modest fellow in real life, so you may want to go there.

Also, regarding rifles, apart from the Boys I'd suggest the Lahti L-39, which has a number of advantages over the Boys: bigger caliber (20mm) and more rounds (10-round box magazine). Recoil was pretty strong, but maneagable. And if a little girl like Lynnette can hold a Boys and shoot without needing the bipod, then Simon can do the same with the Lahti. Of course, being a sniper, he'll want to use it properly, bipod and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
That’s true in our history, but we must keep in mind this IS an AU.

In this AU Fuso is being forced to function in joint units with other powers who are all using officers as pilots so it seems likely that they might well start handing out commissions to keep things simpler. The alternative is to get into a huge mess of trying to make sergeants and the like equivalent to lieutenants and such which could become a confusing mess very quickly. Even if the commissions probably are mostly administrative thing with little change in actual duties.

Even if you happen to like the Jap system (and I myself actually do) they’d be very much in the minority so it’s likely there would be very strong pressure to conform. At least in really integrated units it seems likely that Fuso pilots would be given commissions for the purposes of reducing confusion as to there status compared to their officer peers from other nations. That said it probably won't matter much in any case as in such small units functioning much like Special Forces rank is likely to be of only marginal concern in many instances.
Pretty much what I was thinking... I actually do like the Jap system myself, which was why in my AC fic my OC Jack (a very early incarnation of Franz) started out as an Airman 1st Class in the Erusian AF, transferred to the Navy, and went to PO3, PO1, CPO and then got spot promoted to Master Chief (though the last was just so that he would have the appropriate clearances to do the CAG's (Glen) paperwork ). Then it was too much trouble to form equivalencies so everyone got comissioned in the end.

Quote:
I don't do VAs myself this is writing not anime after all. Let the reader fill in what the char sounds like with there imagination is my approach.
Lol, true true

Quote:
Anyway moving on with this here we're a fourth of the way through my planned dozen.

The above was inspired by this clip
Spoiler for Vid:
Lol, nice! It was funny and entertaining, and I liked it.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 01:12   Link #122
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Coupla things I want to note... Hayha was a rather quiet, unassuming and modest fellow in real life, so you may want to go there.

Also, regarding rifles, apart from the Boys I'd suggest the Lahti L-39, which has a number of advantages over the Boys: bigger caliber (20mm) and more rounds (10-round box magazine). Recoil was pretty strong, but maneagable. And if a little girl like Lynnette can hold a Boys and shoot without needing the bipod, then Simon can do the same with the Lahti. Of course, being a sniper, he'll want to use it properly, bipod and all..
I see, added that to my profile
Old 2008-10-10, 02:29   Link #123
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

I'm finally done watching through the entire series, and random cameo is random.

Now that I've got an understanding of the "conspiracy" and drawn my own conclusions, time to development the grand theory.
Old 2008-10-10, 04:44   Link #124
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
My thots are that a scout group will be smaller than a full wing, but other than that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
@ AtomicoX: Up to four would make a flight within a squadron.
I see. I have to think up something else then. Any ideas of what I can do?
I don't know what would be best, considering what they are supposed to do.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 06:14   Link #125
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Hmm. Right now I am not sure how I should go about to not make my own fic boring...

1. As with all brass, there's no real cohesion that you get with the boys and gals in your own squadron. The colleagues play an intense game of politicking and your own chums and former foes would most likely be out of the war biz.
2. How closely should I really go with sticking with what happened? If I really go at it I'd find myself with some ridiculous number of running cast to look at, including not the least roughly 28 squadron leaders as direct subordinates.
3. The whole affair over the map room is much more drawn-out and impersonal comparing to the hotblooded, very snap-second nature of dogfighting. Victory and defeat in terms of twisted metal gets turn into numbers! I am thinking of how I go to make the link between the two.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 07:39   Link #126
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
That would be best; I'm only covering the ATX's backstory, and once Momoko joins the Interpid in Jan 1945 everyone else would've been assembled, like the 501st at the time of Miyafuji's signing. So feel free to make something out of it!
Will do.

Quote:
Well I would assume they aren't randomly teleported to the place one day.
Why not? Convenient hero teleportation seems to work in anime.

Quote:
Sounds about like you're average harem male should...
Nah, he misses the wuss factor for that.
Old 2008-10-10, 07:39   Link #127
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Second OC, Squadron Leader. 1st version.

Spoiler for ”Elkki”:

Now, what concerns me the most is the size of a Squadron. The anime and novel goes in different directions here and I need your opinions on that, if I go into exact canon info that is. Ideally, the squadron should be around 4-5 since it’s a scouting and insertion type.
If I am totally wrong about it, then I have to make something up…
The lone wolf and caretaker parts seem to clash a bit...

Quote:
Not too far, probably no more than 10 seconds (a minute into the future would have worked against her, since there is something called changing tactics). Even then, people would be too troubled to believe her, if at all.
Like Tk said, always in motion, the future is.

Quote:
Late in 1944, Liberion decides to create Joint Air Groups (JAG) like the JFW of Britainnia, but based on carriers making them much more mobile. She sends out invites to all countries and refugees for Witches to join the effort. The RLS Intrepid is one such carrier drafted for the initiative, and hence I'm digging the thread for OCs to use.

So far Kirby, Keroko, Almaria and Anita have been drafted for the Advanced Technology Project X (ATX) team that is a pilot group deployed on the Intrepid as it was launched to scour the Asia-Pacific region of pockets of Neuroi raiders, when they had many harrowing encounters including the time they had to erect a sail to keep the massive ship on course instead of going straight into a collection of infested islands (based on the real event).

The main story about JAG-7 takes place after the Intrepid returns to port in 1944 for extensive dry-dock repairs. It is here that I'd like to involve Helena with the Intrepid, and due to her rank she would fulfil either Minna or Mio's role. This will run through the year of 1945, right up to the climax battle of Operation "Little Boy" and "Fat Man" in August that year.

Would that be okay with you?
I'll pass. I've never been one for Carriers, as Keroko says "Ships ya use for gettin from one side of the battle to the other, not ta lounge around on chewin crappy ration bars." besides, they'd drive a certain yet-to-be-named OC of mine nuts.

Quote:
I missed this joke, but whatever. XD
When we were converting Cadia, Tk was comparing where the people on our side are from to the cast in Strike Witches. I was drafted as one of the Germans 'cause, quote, 'its all the same to me' I sort of argued a bit, so the irony of my labeling Holland as Germania must be exquisitely delicious to him.

Quote:
I prefer Dark blue and black myself.
Which is not a bad pattern either, Deathskulls use dark blue and black.

Quote:
Well what would be one explanation...

Thomasina: "No bad Coyote! No eating other familiars unless I say it's okay!"
Keroko doesn't have much to fear in that regard, but Helena better be careful...

Quote:
Well would probably depend on where they where stationed Thomasina has never been in England, acutally none of the squadron has they've all fought totally in the Mid East, Africa, and Itlay.
Neither has Keroko, not enough fighting there.

Quote:
I perfer more normal units myself, but to each his own.
This isn't really about my preferences, but Keroko-chan's. Speaking of which, don't ever call her that to her face.

Keroko wants to go for the highest speed. Jets give her that speed.

Quote:
Well that's simple enough word lets you change the text color after all. One thing I'm finding is to just not worry about making it a huge novel write scenes and stuff you like and just give them a bit of set up and they can work suprisingly well.
Good advice, I'll do that.

Quote:
Na, but it figures he'd be the first guy in with a Male just go against the grain.
Kyral was in quick pursuit.

Quote:
I vaugely recall it from somewhere not sure where and I don't feel like trolling the OC to try and pin point where it began.
Me neither.

Quote:
Germania? *snickers*
Delicious irony is delicious, isn't it?

Quote:
As noted above though none of my Characters are based in England, but then she seems to have been deployed in Africa at one time so it is possible they'd have met.
Helena is actually deployed in the north African regions. She fought a few battles in Britannia because that was the place Germania retreated to. After a semi-stable line was was established, she transfered to Africa.

Quote:
The power seems a tad funky to me, but I suppose it's not overly abusive.
Most of the time you won't even notice it that much in my writing, at least not to the point where it becomes an instant turntable.

Quote:
Umm Delicious Irony...
I knew it.

Quote:
You mean the character portraits? Mostly by scanning image boards, deviant art, etc for original content or little known stuff that fits what I’m thinking. I also save any image I blunder across I happen to like and sometimes I see a picture and acutally build the character around it.
So mostly by lurking around imageboards and dev-art, huh?

Quote:
Ah come on you gotta have the full squadron! The names and most of the personalities are nailed down already it’s just filling things in really. Besides making them is simple enough making them good in stories is another matter. I also had a head start in that I’ve been working on these guys for quite awhile myself.
Well, guess that means I have some work to do. Two down, ten to go.

Quote:
On that note…
Spoiler for Clare “Lingo” Caldwell:

Spoiler for Kha “Crash” Truscott:

Spoiler for Pasqualina “Phoenix” Fanali:

And that make six... half way there.
The naming pattern is becoming blatantly obvious here.

Quote:
I have decided that I will make a certain Sniper Larger than life from going from sniper to Tank Striker Unit

Spoiler for My OC:
"And this was how I soon fell in love with a witch... Or two."

Incoming player!

()

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
1. As with all brass, there's no real cohesion that you get with the boys and gals in your own squadron. The colleagues play an intense game of politicking and your own chums and former foes would most likely be out of the war biz.
I'm... not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
2. How closely should I really go with sticking with what happened? If I really go at it I'd find myself with some ridiculous number of running cast to look at, including not the least roughly 28 squadron leaders as direct subordinates.
Dunno, the anime stuck close to the date of liberating France, but that just made the event look mockingly ridiculous compared to the novels, where they had to mobilize a countries entire army structure to take back one city. Personally I'd say go with your own judgment.

Quote:
3. The whole affair over the map room is much more drawn-out and impersonal comparing to the hotblooded, very snap-second nature of dogfighting. Victory and defeat in terms of twisted metal gets turn into numbers! I am thinking of how I go to make the link between the two.
That's simple, have your hotblooded victories and defeats have an impact on the map. This will mean the map will change slowly, though. Instant victories that liberate entire countries kinda ruin the realism of the map.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 08:45   Link #128
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The lone wolf and caretaker parts seem to clash a bit...
Mm'yes. See it this way: She has kep her lone wolf traits since younger years, but she also realizes the need to take care of her subordinates. either way, she makes use both traits. Atleast I want to see it that way.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 09:25   Link #129
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Why not? Convenient hero teleportation seems to work in anime.
Suwa's literally dropping out of the sky did not sit to well with me.

Quote:
I'll pass. I've never been one for Carriers, as Keroko says "Ships ya use for gettin from one side of the battle to the other, not to lounge around on chewin crappy ration bars." besides, they'd drive a certain yet-to-be-named OC of mine nuts.
*facefaults*

Zenzen NOT AS PLANNED!!! D:

Revising plans, forget the JAG; too many European OCs!!! I’ll have the ATX team (sans Keroko) leave the Intrepid when it returns to California in Nov 1944 for extensive repairs. Kirby’s a hard-worker, and upon hearing Gallia had been liberated by the time he hit shore, skipped his shore leave and his team took first flight to Europe. They should be in time for the Neuroi counterattack in the Ardennes (Dec 1944) which will last for 6 weeks, then press along with the Allied advance towards Karsland by March 1945.

Then when Iwo Jima fell suddenly at March 1945 (why is a plot related event), Kirby will still be able to recount his experience earlier in the pacific with the Neuroi raiders while still having worked with the other OCs who are based in Europe. After this, will be a decision to follow orders into Karsland, or accompany Momoko and other Fuso witches in the Wing who are being recalled home in response.

The problem with this approach is… I know next to nothing about the European Theatre! I'm afraid I can’t write this well!!! T_T

Quote:
When we were converting Cadia, Tk was comparing where the people on our side are from to the cast in Strike Witches. I was drafted as one of the Germans 'cause, quote, 'its all the same to me' I sort of argued a bit, so the irony of my labeling Holland as Germania must be exquisitely delicious to him.
I... see...

Quote:
Helena is actually deployed in the north African regions. She fought a few battles in Britannia because that was the place Germania retreated to. After a semi-stable line was was established, she transfered to Africa.
Ah okay, guess not her then.

Quote:
Dunno, the anime stuck close to the date of liberating France, but that just made the event look mockingly ridiculous compared to the novels, where they had to mobilize a countries entire army structure to take back one city. Personally I'd say go with your own judgment.
I call strategic retreat to draw the world into the depleted Europe, and allow for a sudden strike on Fuso, which if successful will severely weaken the world to a renewed Neuroi counterattack.

Quote:
That's simple, have your hotblooded victories and defeats have an impact on the map. This will mean the map will change slowly, though. Instant victories that liberate entire countries kinda ruin the realism of the map.
Old 2008-10-10, 12:00   Link #130
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Made some updates, still throwing them around operational squadrons around the region during 1970.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 12:59   Link #131
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Spoiler for How many miles to a witch?:
Old 2008-10-10, 15:07   Link #132
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
*Flies by and bombs the thread with three more profiles*

Spoiler for Joan Foss:
Spoiler for Evangline McCampbell:
Spoiler for Kagerou Ohta:

*Circles back around and strafes it with another random drabble.*

Spoiler for Obligtory Bar fight...:

*Pulls up and away and heads back to base*

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-10-11 at 01:27.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 21:49   Link #133
kct

Time for another of the aviators.

Spoiler for Lt. Ronald “Ron” Anderson:

Last edited by kct; 2008-10-20 at 20:54.
Old 2008-10-10, 22:46   Link #134
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for How many miles to a witch?:
It's the Army; gutter minds r everywhere.

Quote:
*Flies by and bombs the thread with three more profiles*

Spoiler for Joan Foss:
Spoiler for Evangline McCampbell:
Spoiler for Kagerou Ohta:

*Circles back around and strafes it with another random drabble.*

Spoiler for Obligtory Bar fight...:

*Pulls up and away and heads back to base*
*Kirby facepalms*

*Crest covers his head with his wing*

Quote:
Time for another of the aviators.

Spoiler for Mister Combat Martin:
I'm learning quite a bit of history from you guys. And I'm not alone with aviator + witch teams anymore!

Now if only someone made a real fighter equivalent of a Striker Unit. Wouldn't that mean more power and weapon capacity, instead of having to lug everything around and still not even come close to a fighter's load?
Old 2008-10-10, 23:09   Link #135
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Heh. Seems like a hell lot of fun down here.

Ah, where are my manners?

XenahortCharybdis, I'm transferring in temporarily from the Outer Cadia thread, though admittedly I still have one foot in there somewhere...

@Tk3997: Tk has crack..Grizzly Crack...Scary Full comments later.

@kct: So you're the Witches: Chaotic Century guy, am I right? You got a hell of a job ahead of you, and one hell of a good job. Good luck.

@Kha: That's a Warlock, you dummy XD...and anyway Strikers aren't THAT big, and as proven by Sakamoto Mio...they can be dumped on remotely (and hidden inside a wheelchair at that.)

As for me? I'm changing the history of late WWII...a bit, though for now I'm handling my finals, so I only have a title.

"Arkforce: The Road to Alamein."

and its side short (which is tentative)

"I, Dune Fox."
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 23:49   Link #136
kct

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenahortCharybdis View Post
@kct: So you're the Witches: Chaotic Century guy, am I right? You got a hell of a job ahead of you, and one hell of a good job. Good luck.
No idea what that meant.

Kha: Hardly, at least since the point is not to follow Sky Girls in terms of giving them pseudo-mechs. However, in the "Intervention War" myth, Striker units would eventually receive improvements that their namesake counterparts receive (like in the case of the Combat Martin, in which the F-105F Wild Weasel IIs using them would discard the jammers due to doctrines, and brought up to the F-105G Wild Weasel III standard, while the Strikers would have the jammers miniaturized, and installed on them). This would at least maintain a decent correlation relationship between the Striker unit and the namesake aircraft, since Strikers are modeled after the real stuff anyway.

The M134 WOULD make an appearance, however, I am looking at it at the point of view of deploying the witch carrying the BIG ONE from an AC-130A Surprise Package. The Witch would directly assist the heavy-hitting gunship in targeting, because all the expensive and valuable equipment on the Surprise Package (it is a test bed) mean squat if the big guy couldn't hit anything.

On the aviation front...

Spoiler for Ye-152 series of interceptors:

Last edited by kct; 2008-10-11 at 05:48.
Old 2008-10-11, 03:35   Link #137
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenahortCharybdis View Post
@Kha: That's a Warlock, you dummy XD...and anyway Strikers aren't THAT big, and as proven by Sakamoto Mio...they can be dumped on remotely (and hidden inside a wheelchair at that.)
You guys got me wrong. I know the SU aren't that big, and I'm not talking about a Warlock, which hints at a Neuroi S2 Engine.

What I mean is, increase the Striker unit to that of a full-sized engine, and seat the witch inside the craft like a normal pilot. Viola! A witch with the firepower of a true fighter, and still looks like a true fighter, because it is the true fighter with a magic engine.

Antoinette de Saint Exupery can go complain that Strike Witches are turning into pilots rather than witches later.
Old 2008-10-11, 05:57   Link #138
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I could type up a very long technical rant with dozens of theories of why that's not possible, but in the end the simplest reasons are the best:

Because it wouldn't be Strike Witches anymore.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 06:10   Link #139
kct

That. Is the reason why the Witches in Vietnam would use older Striker units (no point in giving them Wild Weasel-based Strikers if half of the features the WW have could not be implemented).
Old 2008-10-11, 06:18   Link #140
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Such was my problem of trying to convince everyone else in the anime club of Strike Witches. I need that technical analysis to solidify my stand