AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-02, 06:50   Link #221
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Shiroth, have to agree. i had high expectations for a lot of shows this season and house of five leaves wasnt one of them. k-on and durarara and arakawa are meh compared to "five leaves".
i was really amazed that Masa GRADUALLY became part of the group. not like in other anime *cough samurai champloo cough*, where it happens smething like this - "oh, sorry i bumped into you. by the way, do you wanna go dragon hunting with me and some other random guy i'll bump into in the next 20 min?"
and of course the animation (well, the art actually) is amazing. the noses didn't bother me one bit, they actually made the anime better. (i remember ppl have problems with them in some anime)
i've watched 10 eps, and i hope the series ends well. anime has the habit of coping out, so i'm worried.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 08:17   Link #222
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd thought we'd have plenty of people talking about the last episode.

Spoiler for Episode 12:

Personally i'd say this show was the best of the spring season. It's not everyday you get a show with solid character development and a slow paced slice of life feel at the same time, and they both work so damn well together.

Spoiler for 12:

Best show of the season for me as well, followed closely by the Tatami Galaxy. I had high expectations for both of these shows and neither disappointed. Noitamina sure delivered once again.
Old 2010-07-02, 22:25   Link #223
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Final thoughts:

Spoiler for 12:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 04:18   Link #224
Iluvatar

Amazing anime, really enjoyed this one. Great plot, awesome artwork, realistic and enjoyable characters and really good music. Best of the year for me so far, specially after the disappointment that was Durarara.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 10:23   Link #225
Kirarakim

That was definitely a great ending. Early on I wouldn't have expected to call this series heartwarming but I sort of feel that is what it was. I loved how you can see Masa is officially part of the group (and I agree it just sort of happened gradually). The final moments between Yaichi and Masa were wonderful (the crying & the dango scene).

Spoiler:
Old 2010-07-03, 11:51   Link #226
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Brillant. What an ending, the build up the whole time was just amazing. My jaw dropped when Jin attempted servant Yaichi had nothing to do with it, his death was quick but that scene was amazing. Plus he deserved it!

The grave scene was my fave I did love how the first thing Yaichi says to Masa is about the snow stopping, Masa reaction was perfect XD

I think most of what Yaichi has been after since he was kidnapped was finding 1) a place to belong and 2) another person like Yaichi. He formed the Five Leaves to accomplish this but didnt really find his Yaichi til now, I hope Masa does well since no one will ever be able to replace the original. Ending scene was pure win.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 12:04   Link #227
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
just finished it. wow! that was an unexpectedly good ending. first series in years about which i have nothing to bitch about, without exagerating. aside from wanting MOAR.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 12:05   Link #228
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Did Jin deserve it? I suppose, in that he was planning to kill Yuichi. But it came from his overdeveloped sense of loyalty, and the belief that he'd been betrayed. He spared Yuichi's life in more than one way, and I never saw indication that he was especially cruel or dark-hearted. I thought he deserved a better send-off, at the very least.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 13:22   Link #229
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Did Jin deserve it? I suppose, in that he was planning to kill Yuichi. But it came from his overdeveloped sense of loyalty, and the belief that he'd been betrayed. He spared Yuichi's life in more than one way, and I never saw indication that he was especially cruel or dark-hearted. I thought he deserved a better send-off, at the very least.
No I don't think he deserved it. I actually think there was more to that stroke than Yaichi just trying to protect himself. Remember Yaichi goes after him right after he told him the truth (and then after he died he said he did it only to protect him).

Maybe what Jin did was wrong but he wasn't evil, he just did what he thought was right. But in some ways the lie Jin told Yaichi is what made Yaichi. Now that Jin is dead and Yaichi learned the truth he can finally begin to really heal.

And I am thinking maybe if Jin had not spoken the truth, Yaichi might not have fought back and he would have been the one to die. So I basically see his death as tragic but inevitable. One of them had to die.
Old 2010-07-03, 13:24   Link #230
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I agree, it's hard for me to see Jin as a bad guy. He lied only to protect Seinoshin, there was no malicious intent behing it. And I can understand his desire for revenge, as he thought Sei had killed another of his "little brother"; whether he truly did it or not was left unconfirmed, but we know he's capable of it as evidenced by last week's flashback, and he didn't deny it...

At the end of it, I don't think there was any true villain in that story, except maybe Seinoshin's adoptive mother.
Old 2010-07-03, 13:35   Link #231
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I agree, it's hard for me to see Jin as a bad guy. He lied only to protect Seinoshin, there was no malicious intent behing it. And I can understand his desire for revenge, as he thought Sei had killed another of his "little brother"; whether he truly did it or not was left unconfirmed, but we know he's capable of it as evidenced by last week's flashback, and he didn't deny it...
I think Yaichi (Sei) probably did kill him. But I think Jin's lie made him the way he was. Even though the lie was told with good intentions it ended up changing Yaichi.

Although I don't read the manga I wonder now that Yaichi knows the truth how he will change exactly. I don't think he can ever be that boy again but maybe something in-between that boy & the old Yaichi.
Old 2010-07-03, 13:43   Link #232
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Did Jin deserve it? I suppose, in that he was planning to kill Yuichi.
To me he did since like Kim stated, his lie changed Yaichi. Yes he was doing it to protect him but why wait this long to tell him something like this espc when he's out for revenge for his old gang, he was going to kill Yaichi. That being sad I dont see Jin as the bad guy of this series, I agree Sei's adoptive mother takes that role, but in the end like he said, one of them was going to die. Im just glad it wasnt Yaichi

Btw concerning the manga, VizMedia has up to chap 10 posted on their site which is right in the middle of Ume's backstory.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-03, 14:15   Link #233
Kirarakim

You know another thing I really liked about this series was the red herring with the police officer Masa became friendly with. I really thought he would bring trouble for the House of Five Leaves but he ended up being something quite different entirely.

I am also hoping Funi releases this on DVD. At only 12 episodes it should be a nice one set release which is something I can definitely afford.

Oh and thanks for the info about the manga.
Old 2010-07-03, 17:32   Link #234
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am also hoping Funi releases this on DVD. At only 12 episodes it should be a nice one set release which is something I can definitely afford.
Yes, please. I hope they release the whole series as a set, without screwing around with 3 episode discs. The artwork was stunning, so I can't wait to get it on disc. I will buy this as soon as the complete series is released as a set, but I think Funimation has a policy of not releasing the complete series until they have released individual discs.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 05:28   Link #235
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I'd thought we'd have plenty of people talking about the last episode.
Perhaps it's because most of us watching it on AS really don't have anything to complain about with this finale? I'm still finding it hard to put together anything constructive for discussion purposes - I mean, "wow" would just go nowhere.

But wrt Jin...
Spoiler for speculation:

p.s. I'm really debating over whether I can commit to buying yet another series... Might just get the manga for the time being...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 17:22   Link #236
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

For those interested, soundtrack will be released on the 21st of the month. Going to preorder my copy this week.
Old 2010-07-05, 17:38   Link #237
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
For those interested, soundtrack will be released on the 21st of the month. Going to preorder my copy this week.
This OST has been on my WANT list ever since it was announced so Ill be getting a copy as well.

If I might nit pick one thing about this series, I really wish we'd seen more of Masa's samurai skills. We know he's good but we never really get to see it. Wonder if he shows more in the manga or are we just left to speculate.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-05, 17:42   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
If I might nit pick one thing about this series, I really wish we'd seen more of Masa's samurai skills. We know he's good but we never really get to see it. Wonder if he shows more in the manga or are we just left to speculate.
We're allowed nit picks , i mean mine is wanting to see more of Otake's background. So yeah, hopefully the manga is where we want want to see more.

As for Masa's skills, i actually quite like that we only seen a little bit of it. It was enough to know that he has serious skills.
Old 2010-07-05, 18:19   Link #239
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Yes, please. I hope they release the whole series as a set, without screwing around with 3 episode discs. The artwork was stunning, so I can't wait to get it on disc. I will buy this as soon as the complete series is released as a set, but I think Funimation has a policy of not releasing the complete series until they have released individual discs.
Most of Funi's releases are now season sets not individual DVDs. So if this is released I imagine it would be in one box set.
Old 2010-07-05, 19:28   Link #240
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Most of Funi's releases are now season sets not individual DVDs. So if this is released I imagine it would be in one box set.
Well, I hope you are right, but in an interview at ANN, given less than two months ago, Gen Fukunaga, President of Funimation, said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funimation President
One last comment on our release schedule is that we have a very set pattern on how we release titles. We have our initial release, and we try to wait at least a year before we release a complete box set, and so on and so forth. So we do have a pattern that does delay subsequent releases of the exact same brand.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jidaigeki, manglobe, noitamina, seinen