AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-04, 14:49   Link #1
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Want to learn HTML XML C++

Does anyone know a good place to learn HTML, XML, C++ or any other computer programing language? I've always wanted to take a crack at it but I don't know where to go ('cept comunity college eek3 ). I would be greatful if anyone would also give me their personal thoughts on these languages. (ups and downs of learning BLah bleh Blah sorta stuff )
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 15:00   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You can learn HTML and XML here:
http://www.w3schools.com/
Remember to always write proper, standard HTML, so that everyone can read it. W3Schools will teach you the right way.

C++ is very hard to learn, especially without learning C first, and neither has website tutorials. I highly recommend you get a book on C out from the library.

I myself learned C by The Book, that is to say K&R's "The C Programming Language". But this did not teach me programming technique, which I had to learn independently. I have heard that "A Book on C" is a better primer.

C and C++ are necessary for all computer programmers. Another good language to learn is Python. But don't let anyone fool you into learning Java, it's no good for anything.
Old 2004-02-04, 15:12   Link #3
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

So what do you suggest I tackle 1st? C to C++ than learn HTML and XML? I heard that HTML and XML are pretty much the same thing as the way it is written. Also I've heard of java scrpits, but I have no clue as to what they are usually used for.

BTW thanks ashibaka for the info
Old 2004-02-04, 15:18   Link #4
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
if you are learning a language for the first time, you might want to learn basic. basic is well... basic. it overall is the most common language (other than html), C and C++ come right after that. get a copy of visual basic and just experiment, download code and just make things that could be used in everyday life. Basic was my gateway language and then i moved on into html, c, c++, and other forms of programing languages.
Old 2004-02-04, 16:01   Link #5
Shii
*Fansubber

BASIC is useless for teaching programming. It does not teach you anything you need to know for today. It is about twenty years old, and therefore it teaches you twenty-year-old programming techniques. So, if you want to learn FORTRAN, I recommend BASIC.

Learn HTML (technically, HTML is a document format, not a programming language), then you can make neat websites. Plus, you will learn how to recognize and use XML through learning HTML. You are right in saying that they are basically the same thing. XML will be useful for many things, from making skins for Shareaza, to updating your blog with RSS, even to programming in some fancy languages.

Then, sit down at a Linux or Mac OS X computer and make some programs in C.

When you are writing C, the easiest thing to do is to have a UNIX terminal, i.e. Linux or Mac OS X, in front of you. If you really want to use Windows, you pretty much need an IDE-- a desktop environment like Visual C++. Microsoft sells Visual C++ for about $100 or so. Welcome to the world of Windows!

And all those people programming C++ on Windows? Yeah, they're all using Visual C++. If someone on these forums is programming C++ on Windows, he most likely pirated a copy of Visual C++, just like all those people pirating Photoshop. Windows is a despicable thing to use.

Last edited by Shii; 2004-02-04 at 16:13. Reason: Fixed price.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 16:11   Link #6
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
c++ is a huuge pain to learn
taking it in school now, and yeah...
its not the easiest way to earn 3 credits

you basically NEED a book
if not for learning, then for reference

lesse...
use omnipad if you are in the windows environment
http://godfather.arsware.org/OmniPad/

i love it...actually...use omnipad no matte what you do, it has everything, html, c++, java, etc, etc
it helps me view code easier since it has all those pretty colours

MS visual c++, if you want to use it, try to pick up one of those "educational" copies...i did that a few years back in a programming package for about 40-50 cdn
only drawback is, you cant sell anything you program, but at this time, thats a moot point

ahh...a little bit of addendum..
if you have absolutely no experience in programming, do HTML first
it still has its uses and is fairly easy to follow
basic...i wouldnt bother with it
it isnt really programming and you will have to relearn a lot of stuff once you move to higher-level programming languages
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 16:16   Link #7
Shii
*Fansubber

Doesn't Visual C++ Educational have dumb Microsoft restrictions? I remember getting a programming book that came with Visual C++ Educational, and when I compiled software with it, the program that came out opened up a dialog box that said "THIS SOFTWARE WAS MADE WITH AN EDUCATIONAL COPY OF VISUAL C++. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DISTRIBUTE COPIES OF PROGRAMS MADE WITH VISUAL C++ EDUCATIONAL", or something like that.

Sheesh, Microsoft, if you're so uptight about that sort of thing, you'll lose customers to Linux in no time flat.
Old 2004-02-04, 16:25   Link #8
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
hmm
mine didnt pop up a dialogue box
but i think it did add that to whatever code it compiled
so it didnt really bother me

but its all non-visual programming for me now
school doesnt like us using microsoft visual
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 16:28   Link #9
cf18
Mecha Pilot

http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/

They link to all kind of resource you may need to learn most programming languages.

You don't have to learn C before learning C++. In fact skip C may be a good idea since you may learn bad habbit that you must forget later for C++/C#/Java.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 16:33   Link #10
ato
Oups...

If what you want to learn is how to program, your choice of programming language is of no importance: The skills used in programming are the same wether you choose FORTRAN, C++ and Perl.

Once you know a programming language or three, you will realize that they are all just different tools in your kit, and a part of the art is using the tool that will afford you the maximum payoff with the least effort.

Try reading this small intro and see what you have got to learn if it is your wish to travel the road of the software developer

Learning HTML is a good passtime, but will never be more than a small fraction of what a programmer does - It is more the realm of a web designer. If you do set out to learn it though, be sure to follow Ashibakas advice and make it standards compliant (IE only websites are abominations, and should be eradicated like the garbage who wrote them...ooops, got a little carried away there, hehe). XML is a way of structuring data, and is a much used tool in programming. It is, however, hardly something to set your heart on learning - You will absorb XML through osmosis as you learn to think like a programmer

Thus spake I, and everything is IMHO.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 17:04   Link #11
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

My mom uses Visual Basic for Data Basing. Making budget data bases and other stuff................. I dont think I need to alaborate with vb..............

ANY WAYS I'm going to try out HTML/XML first as ashibaka has suggested. I figure i can get a grasp of what I need to go thru by 1st learning this. I've tried some simply stuff so far and it's pretty easy.

I'm planning on building a new computer in a month or so too. There is no way in hell I'm going to put windows XP on it.... I have windows xp on my comp now.... all i have to say is *!)(^&#*)(%^@)&*#%^!@

BTW, Thanks guys for all the info PLZ keep going I'd love to hear everyone's opinion for I AM T3h NoObL3s!!!!11111ONEoN3one
Old 2004-02-04, 17:52   Link #12
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
You don't have to learn C before learning C++. In fact skip C may be a good idea since you may learn bad habbit that you must forget later for C++/C#/Java.
You mean no object-oriented programming, right? I am afraid I must notify you that OOP isn't everything... and it's helpful to learn the sensible syntax of C before diving into the mess that is C++.
Old 2004-02-04, 18:05   Link #13
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Ok for the comp I'm going to be building I'm most likely gunna put linux on it, but when I start to dive into C and C++ what program do I use? But if for some UNSEEN reason I put Windows XP on it is Visual C++ the only program out that is good to use?
Old 2004-02-04, 18:30   Link #14
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Ok for the comp I'm going to be building I'm most likely gunna put linux on it, but when I start to dive into C and C++ what program do I use? But if for some UNSEEN reason I put Windows XP on it is Visual C++ the only program out that is good to use?
Well I suggest PHP for start. It's object oriented and it's EASIEST language I've seen so far. You can create web apps (well it's used 99% of time just for that) and also u can create normal programs. PHP now supports GTK and it runs on almost every platform there is. PHP + MySQL/PostgreSQL is better then free food. You can start learning it in seconds, there are tons of docs online. Try www.php.net -> links

You don't need compiler or anything, just webspace. Skilled php programmers are in great respect these days.

I just love PHP and I can go on and on...but I won't bore you with it. btw here is simple php program:
[php]<? echo "Learn PHP!"; ?>[/php]
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 18:34   Link #15
Shii
*Fansubber

Well, he said he wanted to learn C++

If you do use Windows, you can use a free compiler called djgpp (Google it), but it's sort of complicated. Also, the XP terminal sucks.

It's actually easier to program in Python or PHP on Windows.

Last edited by Shii; 2004-02-04 at 18:35. Reason: despite the avatar, sil is male
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 19:03   Link #16
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

PHP huh? Well im still going at the HTML walk thru (intresting shit mang). I will give a hack at PHP once I finish HTLM/XML. Can you write PHP code in notepad like HTML, and Forse is that an attachment PHP prgm that changed the color or just VB code?
Old 2004-02-04, 19:32   Link #17
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
PHP huh? Well im still going at the HTML walk thru (intresting shit mang). I will give a hack at PHP once I finish HTLM/XML. Can you write PHP code in notepad like HTML, and Forse is that an attachment PHP prgm that changed the color or just VB code?
Yeah you can write PHP with any text editor (I use JED for my php files, it's nix editor with php syntax) and yes it's vb that changed colors Just use [php]
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 19:52   Link #18
LynnieS

I personally feel that you don't need to start with C before going onto C++, but it's up to you. You'll still need to learn OOP and all that, but you'll still need to know some of C's features.

Bruce Eckel has made electronic copies of his C++ books available; actually, they're being hosted with his permission. Try these sites.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 20:39   Link #19
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

OOP?? I'm guessing that OOP is directly linked to C and C++, but I've never head of it before. Is OOP another language or something???
Old 2004-02-04, 20:51   Link #20
Shii
*Fansubber

OOP, or Object-Oriented Programming, is a method of programming that needs to be built into the language. It's too technical to explain without knowledge of how programming works, but anyway, C doesn't support it, and C++, Java, Python, etc. do support it.

The primary purpose of C++ is actually to add object-oriented programming to C. That also makes it a lot more complicated.

I still hold that you ought to learn C first, first because it will get you acquainted some of the various functions of C++, and second because a lot of programs, especially Linux programs, are written in C.