AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 13.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 30.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 33.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-27, 08:56   Link #81
Hamster

lol I don't know about that. I remember that comment by someone from the studio(i think) about the last episode.

It could be anything... but there is always hope.
Old 2013-05-27, 09:00   Link #82
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I'm just waiting for the Urobuchi suffering and despair before the final bittersweet end.
I'll take any kind of ending, as long as it isn't forced or awkward. Since Gen's writing the last episode, part of me hopes he might actually make some effort and pull off a happy ending for once, but we probably shouldn't get our hopes up.

I still like the characters in this show and look forward to it each week, but I agree with parts of the bad reviews, and I do think this story could've been much better had it entirely been written by Gen or some other person, if he really doesn't have any confidence in writing less depressing stories.

Meanwhile, maybe in about 15 years or so Gen will write the entirety of Rebuild of Gargantia, so we can see what this series should've been.
Old 2013-05-27, 09:05   Link #83
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
well, at least amy didn't tag along, and you KNOW pretty much everyone that left the gargantia is going to die except for ledo. . .
Are you and I the only ones thinking this? It seems to me that the majority of posters here believe that Ledo can annihilate the whole whalesquid population in one fell swoop with his mighty sword. It's obvious that he can't take them all on in one-on-one combat, as we have seen, since if one dies, a swarm will form. And then what? Does he really think he can take on a whole swarm all at once? By himself? That is, himself, Chamber, and his mighty sword?

And has he thought of the consequences? If a repeat of his first incident with a whalesquid happens, and a swarm comes after Ledo's new fleet, will Pinion and Co. power down the fleet so that the whalesquid swarm will leave them be? With Pinion in charge, what do you think? And what will happen then?

I might have been asleep at the keyboard, but I don't remember if it was ever demonstrated why the folks on Gargantia are so afraid of the whalesquid. There must have been at least one incident in the past where the whalesquids had devoured a whole fleet, or something to that effect, but I don't remember it being explicitly stated. There must have been something that led to the logical conclusion that powering down such a gigantic fleet as the Gargantia was the only option to withstanding an attack by the whalesquid.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:30   Link #84
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I don't really get the hate that Fairlock is receiving on this thread. Yeah, I understand that we've only known him for 8 episodes, however, we only came in near the end of his life. The Gargantians have known him his entire life. Of course his funeral procession is a big deal to them. And you guys want to hate on fact that someone important to them has died and they want to spend some time to pay their respects?
We haven't known him for eight episodes, he was hardly in ANY of it.
We only saw him occasionally speak a short blurb of authority or give nods. The show did pretty much zilch for the audience to warm up to him, or his sage ruling.

This isn't like say... Captain Okita of Space Cruiser Yamato dying, and passing his mantle off to one of the other main characters, because he was srs biznis for the audiences for much of the show.

For the audience to really feel emotional about death of Fairlock, it has to connect him to the viewers, not force them to imagine in shoes of the other fictional characters. Otherwise, why should they care?
Old 2013-05-27, 11:57   Link #85
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
This isn't like say... Captain Okita of Space Cruiser Yamato dying, and passing his mantle off to one of the other main characters, because he was srs biznis for the audiences for much of the show.
As I mentioned before, the Fairlock character was obviously inspired by Captain Okita. He's very much a certain kind of character, and in this case it's the old and wise captain.

Also, to be perfectly frank I never once felt that the funeral procession was intended to cause audience emotion. A lot of scenes in Suisei no Gargantia have been exposition for the traditions and the life of Gargantia. This was another such scene where I felt that the funeral procession was more of a look at how the Gargantians live, and their beliefs.

More so, I think Ridget's developments were primary here, and not the funeral itself. A fair amount of time in this episode was spent on her character's backstory being developed, and her personality being flushed out more.
Old 2013-05-27, 12:08   Link #86
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
As I mentioned before, the Fairlock character was obviously inspired by Captain Okita. He's very much a certain kind of character, and in this case it's the old and wise captain.

Also, to be perfectly frank I never once felt that the funeral procession was intended to cause audience emotion. A lot of scenes in Suisei no Gargantia have been exposition for the traditions and the life of Gargantia. This was another such scene where I felt that the funeral procession was more of a look at how the Gargantians live, and their beliefs.

More so, I think Ridget's developments were primary here, and not the funeral itself. A fair amount of time in this episode was spent on her character's backstory being developed, and her personality being flushed out more.
But my reply was to defend why the audience "doesn't give a hoot" about Farilock's passing. Which he went on to say some really off-the wall stuff like paying due respect to um, fictional character, whom we have had no connection to.
Old 2013-05-27, 14:36   Link #87
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I enjoyed the portions focusing on Ledo, Bevel, and Amy. Of course the funeral was a good way to see how that society responds to such a death. Not too surprised that they are putting sand or something like that in the boat with him since it's probably a pretty rare substance and thus worth sending with such a key person who is passing.

Did get some more depth on Ledo's view. Probably forced even more into a corner by realizing that backup isn't going to come and he's not going back. That makes him the only one who can do anything about the Hideauze here. At least trying to fashion some more effective weapons since beams just aren't going to get the job done underwater. If he doesn't do something than by the time the Alliance gets his distress signal all humans on that planet could be wiped out by the Hideauze.

Curious to see where this all goes since it's a pretty dramatic step to take at this point in the series.
Old 2013-05-27, 18:35   Link #88
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

It kind of bothers me because if Ledo actually told Ridget everything that he knows about the alliance and the Hideauze then the latter at that point should logically ask:

"So let me get this straight, there are literally thousands of yunboroids like yours in the alliance and those aren't even your strongest weapons. You kept fighting against those Hideauze with such a massive force to no avail. And yet... you want to start a war against them by yourself, and you think you can win?"
That's actually what I like about Red in this episode. He fully knows that he's alone in this. He is the only human on Earth qualified to take on the Hideauze, and yet he also knows that he is still tremendously out of his league and outnumbered. But his resolve is so that he doesn't care. He will gladly go to his death if he can protect the humans of Gargantia and the Earth from the threat that they don't even realize is lying in wait.

Even if he can't destroy them all, he will do what he can against the Hideauze. But he doesn't expect that he will survive, which is why he didn't say he would return when Bevel asked him to come back for the flute. In fact he answered with a farewell that we've only seen used in this show for someone who's died. But he is okay with that, since his death will have meaning.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-27, 18:52   Link #89
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well I'd concur that Ledo is simply selfless if we hadn't seen that there's a very big chance that the Hideauze will retaliate on the whole fleet.

He isn't going to risk his own life alone here. He's potentially dooming an entire human community if not worse. We don't quite know how far the Hideauze will go if a lot of them were to be killed.

Ledo himself said that the Hideauze are ignoring humans because they don't think that they are a threat, and now he is going to give them the wrong impression that they are, while it's really only him and his machine caliber.

So in a few words, if you risk your own life you are a hero, but if thousand of civilians might pay the price for your actions then you are just irresponsible.

Old 2013-05-27, 19:32   Link #90
ReddyRedWolf

Yet it is Flange, Pinion and the others decision to make.

When Ledo came he is a sign of what humans on Earth gave up.

Lost technology, the ability to say no to criminals raping and robbing you, no longer hiding in superstition to creatures of the depths.

The frustration of tucking their tails between their legs at the first sign of adversity is something festering within a fleet whose leadership always wants to play it safe.

A break was inevitable.
Old 2013-05-27, 19:46   Link #91
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Are you and I the only ones thinking this? It seems to me that the majority of posters here believe that Ledo can annihilate the whole whalesquid population in one fell swoop with his mighty sword. It's obvious that he can't take them all on in one-on-one combat, as we have seen, since if one dies, a swarm will form. And then what? Does he really think he can take on a whole swarm all at once? By himself? That is, himself, Chamber, and his mighty sword?

And has he thought of the consequences? If a repeat of his first incident with a whalesquid happens, and a swarm comes after Ledo's new fleet, will Pinion and Co. power down the fleet so that the whalesquid swarm will leave them be? With Pinion in charge, what do you think? And what will happen then?
I'm pretty sure Ledo and the rest are well aware of the possible consequences of this expedition given what they have seen and their knowledge of the Whitesquid. If not, then they truly are fools.

Quote:
I might have been asleep at the keyboard, but I don't remember if it was ever demonstrated why the folks on Gargantia are so afraid of the whalesquid. There must have been at least one incident in the past where the whalesquids had devoured a whole fleet, or something to that effect, but I don't remember it being explicitly stated. There must have been something that led to the logical conclusion that powering down such a gigantic fleet as the Gargantia was the only option to withstanding an attack by the whalesquid.
Well since Fairlock is dead and nobody else seemed to know about this tactic, chances are we won't ever find out. =/
Old 2013-05-28, 02:03   Link #92
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I thought this episode had very good character drama. I also think it did a helluva lot for Amy and her two friends. And while I like how Bevel isn't easily shaken, it was good to see him really fight hard (verbally) to try to convince Ledo to stay.

These conversations had wonderful nuance to me:

1) Pretty much any involving Ledo.

2) Pretty much any involving Amy and/or her two friends.

3) Any involving Ridget and Bellows.

I also very much liked Ridget's overall handling in this episode. I honestly think many viewers might be missing what the narrative is going for here.

Ridget is a reasonably sharp and decisive girl, but her weakness is in "reading the mood".

Ridget is very quick and right to realize "I must shore up my support as quickly as possible. This is necessary since my age and relative inexperience will bias many against me. I must seem cool, calm, collected, and decisive." That's all totally correct, and Ridget gets it immediately.

But Ridget has this interesting flaw that I'm starting to notice in a variety of different anime characters in different types of shows. It's a sort of prudent reliance on "doing things by the book", and wanting to appear smart, sharp, practical, respectable. But it's taken to an unhealthy extreme were certain emotional truths are lost sight of.

Other characters like this - Rossiu and his supporters in Gurren Lagann, Gino in Psycho-Pass, and Eri Ayase in Love Live!

The emotional truth Ridget lost sight of is that while it's important for her to shore up support as quickly as possible, it's most important for the crew to honor its recently deceased Fleet Commander. Ridget didn't get that the leader casting an image of decisive and efficient command isn't the only thing, or even the main thing, that Gargantia's crew is looking for in its Fleet Commander. They're looking for someone that connects to them.

And so Bellows smartly reminds Ridget that one of the most important things for a leader in her position is to delegate well - To know which people she can safely rely upon, and then to let those people do their thing. In my own experience, good leadership is more about shrewd decisions in delegation than it is about leaders' micro-managing everything.

As for the funeral itself, I'm of two minds on it.

On the one hand, it had this nicely cinematic feel to it. The way it was slowly sprinkled about almost the entire episode made me think of really important funerals in live-action movies and TV dramas. I think this episode did a great job of conveying just how much this Fleet Commander meant to his crew. Its not that we the viewers are intended to feel sad. Its that we're meant to get how big a deal this is for the Gargantia crew. The crew clearly loved this Fleet Commander, and I personally liked the "handfuls of sand" touch to this funeral procession.

On the other hand, I'm not sure this works as well in an anime episode as it does in a TV drama or a movie because anime episodes are shorter. In other words, it felt like the episode was totally dominated by the funeral. I can understand why some viewers may have grown tired of it, or bored by it.

So yeah, on the whole, this episode had very good and nicely subtle character drama. But I do have a sinking suspicion that Gargantia may be less than the sum of its parts once its all said and done. There's not that many episodes left for the presumptive major conflict of this anime. I feel like the ending will either be rushed (if the narrative chooses to be big, bold, ambitious) or that the ending will be a bit underwhelming.
Old 2013-05-28, 03:15   Link #93
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Why would the alliance not go to Earth if they're looking for a habitable planet?
This is the same problem I had with the Foundation saga. Even supposing it's tens of thousands of years in the future, how would spacefaring humans forget where their homeworld was? I mean, wouldn't any starmap made by the first spacefaring humans have a huge blinking blue dot that says EARTH on it? Ledo says as much, for the people of the Allliance, the Earth is just a legend to them. It doesn't make any sense. It's the HOMEWORLD OF THE HUMAN RACE! It's the POINT OF ORIGIN FOR ALL YOUR STARMAPS!
Old 2013-05-28, 05:08   Link #94
ReddyRedWolf

All objects in space moves, space itself moves , the moment light reaches your location it might not be there anymore.

Really it ain't as if Sol and Earth are static.
Old 2013-05-28, 05:20   Link #95
Unknown Soldier
:D

No, but on a galactic starmap they might as well be relative to humanity. Sol completes one orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy every ~200 million Earth years. As far as Sol is concerned, it is not moving relative to the galaxy in any measurable human timeframe.

Furthermore, even if we assume this is millions of years in the future, it's true that Sol would have moved a certain distance from when humans left Earth. But I find it entirely unfathomable that a humanity which can traverse through wormholes to achieve FTL travel doesn't have computers which could calculate the exact position of the most important planet for humanity even after 10 million years of Sol's orbit around the center of the Milky Way. The AI called "Chamber" was able to determine the Earth's exact position in the galaxy relative to the last known location of the Alliance fleet simply by taking recordings of the stars visible from the Earth and other measurements of radiation, EM field, etc.. There's no way the computers used by the fleet carriers, which can calculate the exact vectors and trajectory to traverse a wormhole, would not be able to pinpoint Earth's exact location instantly and also calculate a route there by FTL drive through the nearest wormhole.
Old 2013-05-28, 06:51   Link #96
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Maybe they didn't want to find Earth and never calculated it's position after they abandoned it. The alliance seems only interested in annihilation of every species in the universe. It's against their ideologies to co-exist with anything. And in all fights we've seen, space humans initiated combat with Hideusass and they retaliated as defense.
Old 2013-05-28, 07:01   Link #97
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Maybe they didn't want to find Earth and never calculated it's position after they abandoned it. The alliance seems only interested in annihilation of every species in the universe. It's against their ideologies to co-exist with anything. And in all fights we've seen, space humans initiated combat with Hideusass and they retaliated as defense.
- We've only seen one alien race, which we aren't sure are sapient, or alien.
- We've only seen one battle as part of a larger war, of which we know little.

We don't have nearly enough data to draw that kind of conclusion regarding the GA's "philosophy".
Old 2013-05-28, 07:19   Link #98
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well "co-existence" and "co-prosperity" are canonically terms that aren't in their vocabulary. But that doesn't mean that they want to "annihilate" any species in the universe.

They are probably not against the idea of dominating them like every other animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I'm pretty sure Ledo and the rest are well aware of the possible consequences of this expedition given what they have seen and their knowledge of the Whitesquid. If not, then they truly are fools.
I'm pretty sure Pinion is a fool. Spreading word that Chamber is invincible and that he will kill all the whalesquids without actually knowing a thing about the Hideauze nor even caring to ask is retarded beyond belief.

Old 2013-05-28, 07:29   Link #99
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So yeah, on the whole, this episode had very good and nicely subtle character drama. But I do have a sinking suspicion that Gargantia may be less than the sum of its parts once its all said and done. There's not that many episodes left for the presumptive major conflict of this anime. I feel like the ending will either be rushed (if the narrative chooses to be big, bold, ambitious) or that the ending will be a bit underwhelming.
That's pretty much my fears too. I know Gen's involvement in this show has been minimal, but I once said that I think pacing is one of his weaknesses. Does anyone else think Madoka and this show should've been at least 24 episodes and PP should've been 12 or 13?
Old 2013-05-28, 07:40   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well "co-existence" and "co-prosperity" are canonically terms that aren't in their vocabulary. But that doesn't mean that they want to "annihilate" any species in the universe.
Part of Chamber's first explanation of the Hideauze was that coexistence with them was impossible. So, yeah, I don't know what that vocabulary mishap later was about.
Closed Thread