AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chrno Crusade

Notices

Old 2003-12-04, 22:49   Link #201
Ledgem
Love Yourself

We're still doing version comparisons? ;P

I'm the raw provider to AF-F & Infusion for this one, and I have to say that the raws in general were horrible quality. I must have sorted through 15 versions for episode one, and they all had defects in them (Sanninwa's comment that ours had the most vibrant color made me happy, cuz that's what I thought too ^___^ ). It's just that this series had a lot of fog and dark scenes, and in my experience, DivX/XviD have never really been able to handle these well, so you get weird color distortions rather than a smooth blend. I did check into AKeep's version on a comment that someone made on IRC, and I was actually pretty distraught to find something. The quality itself was fine, but it seems that they shifted the sponsors section themselves. I'd wanted to use a raw that had the sponsors section (I like that part ^^), but the quality wasn't as good to my eye as the one I ended up choosing. However, in all episodes I found that included a sponsors section, it occured directly after the opening. AKeep's has it right after the ending, so you have that nice effect of lights being turned on for the "see you next chapter" screen, but lose the voices and music during the sponsors section. If you look closely, you can see a frame or two of the original sponsor's section flash before the episode starts. It's possible that the raw they found was already modified this way, but if they've modified it themselves, I dunno... people always had issues over DVDs being released with episodes modified, is it striking fansubs now, too? If anyone from AKeep knows, I'd be interested to hear which way it was.

Other than that, I hear people say "fanservice" for this series, as you see Rosette's bloomers and what have you. Of course, the fact that she wears bloomers instead of a thong or some such thing right there is a nice indicator that this is not a fanservice-type series ^_^

Don't scrutinize over the fansubs too much, if you're a quality monger just get the DVDs. As far as I'm concerned, get any version, enjoy the series, and make nice discussion over it ^_^
Old 2003-12-04, 23:35   Link #202
festosis

I just asked a question? I personally like it better when they say "Devil" than "Demon" but thats just me. So I just wanted to know wich one was more accurate. Just like in Naruto I prefer kage bushin no justsu over shadow replication but its problably because I started watching TW version 1st.
festosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 00:01   Link #203
Izumi
Mune ga doki-doki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by festosis
I just asked a question? I personally like it better when they say "Devil" than "Demon" but thats just me. So I just wanted to know wich one was more accurate. Just like in Naruto I prefer kage bushin no justsu over shadow replication but its problably because I started watching TW version 1st.
It's basically the same word, and the translation is a matter of personal preference. And with Naruto, that same preference applies to translating the attacks as opposed to romanizing. :P Neither is really any more correct than the other.
Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 00:37   Link #204
IG88Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi
It's basically the same word, and the translation is a matter of personal preference. And with Naruto, that same preference applies to translating the attacks as opposed to romanizing. :P Neither is really any more correct than the other.
It feels to me more like they actually use "devil" or "Demon" in the dialogue for certain intents. Like when the elder was explaining how the demon bullets worked. He said that the demons would come out of the bullet and kill the devil. This made me feel as though he used this change of phrase for the enemy because Chrno is called a demon and he was trying not to offend him.........maybe not though.
IG88Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 21:04   Link #205
sothis

people seem to be reading this thread MUCH more than the other "which version is best" thread... so i'll post this notice here, instead.

if you haven't been following it, there is a fansub comparison discussion thread on Chrno Crusade going on in the Anime Planet forum. for those of you interested in really detailed comparisons between groups, you might be interested in knowing that Masakari (one of the best reviewers in this section of the forum) has just added his detailed commentary on episode 2.

located here:
http://www.anime-planet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8031

(note, if you like these kind of reviews, make sure you check out the alphabetical list located in this forum.. lots of new series (and old ones) get high quality fansub reviews by various people, many of which are the core founders of W.T.F., when it existed).
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 23:12   Link #206
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Ah, nifty site. Thanks for posting it here ^_^

I don't really get into comparisons though... I like to think of the competition as nothing more than friendly, which keeps us working in a timely manner and wanting to produce quality. If you read too much into version comparisons in a series you're working on, it just feels... like competition in a bad way. It's useful to non-involved viewers, though.
Old 2003-12-05, 23:40   Link #207
KeishoumoriDei
Big Blue Thing With Mops

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth
Hmm.. well since I'm a dutiful person, and I said I would give my opinion on the difference of A-Kraze's and WPP's versions, here it is. Note that this is only the opinion of someone who is not completely fluent in japanese, but is merely the opinion of someone who is giving his personal opinion.
I think that A-Kraze's version has more practical translations, and I think they translated the part in ep1 when the girls were talking to Chrno better. However, WPP's translations had more "oomph" or impact. It was easier to get the emotions of people through their translations. Of course, both had their faults, so yeah, I can't say which is better because they are both good and their translators are already doing us a big favour by translating these.
KeishoumoriDei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 04:19   Link #208
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
well im just wondering why chrno crusade is so popular with two episodes. I mean, this forum has hella replies and only two episodes! lol
*aznplayboi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 06:30   Link #209
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

After the ending of ep 2 I think anyone watching it would be a big fan of it now
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 08:56   Link #210
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by *aznplayboi*
well im just wondering why chrno crusade is so popular with two episodes. I mean, this forum has hella replies and only two episodes! lol
I think the credit must go to the manga then... its already at volume 7 now.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 13:02   Link #211
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

oh icic....it's from the manga.
Old 2003-12-09, 02:08   Link #212
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

lol...my comment killed the thread!

o.O srry im just bored......
Old 2003-12-09, 06:31   Link #213
aaoo

ep3
http://moe2.homelinux.net/src/200312/20031209361735.jpg
http://tmp.2chan.net/img2/src/1070950570233.jpg
aaoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 06:40   Link #214
Tboz

Looks like Chrno Crusade still have abit of fan service after all.
Old 2003-12-09, 07:45   Link #215
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Looks like Chrno Crusade still have abit of fan service after all.
Sasuga Gonzo ne. :P

Panty shots this time eh...
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 13:02   Link #216
Rune~Grey
Token Crusade Fan

Well, again... this is a Dragon Comic series. So its probably going to have fanservice in it, as it is a shounen manga. (Think of series like Slayers, Scrapped Princess, etc if you want comparisons.) Although the fanservice in this episode isn't quite as bad as the shots above make it out to be - most of it is very quick, and unless you're looking for it, you hardly see it at all. ^^
Rune~Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 02:45   Link #217
Go-lytely

I just watched a-keeps Chrno Crusade and I was wondering shouldnt it be father remington instead of minister remington since everyone else are nuns?
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 05:33   Link #218
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune~Grey
Well, again... this is a Dragon Comic series. So its probably going to have fanservice in it, as it is a shounen manga. (Think of series like Slayers, Scrapped Princess, etc if you want comparisons.) Although the fanservice in this episode isn't quite as bad as the shots above make it out to be - most of it is very quick, and unless you're looking for it, you hardly see it at all. ^^
Yeah... I totally miss that panty shot even though I knew there is going to be one.

One thing I couldn't stand is the exaggerated bounce whenever Rosette does any big action.
Old 2003-12-11, 06:31   Link #219
FlyByNite

I was wondering about Remington too, is it the anime itself which is translating to minister or is it the translator? I know sometimes the Japanese don't get the Catholic religion that accurate.

I think he would be Father Remington, or there's an off-chance he could even be Monsignor Remington, but since he's so young I doubt he'd be that.

But then again I also think the order should be the order of Magdalene and not Magdala. But I'm not sure where they're getting the Magdala from tho. But I think that's the anime itself calling it Magdala.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 07:48   Link #220
Tboz

For the record, Ani-kraze's version translate it as Reverend Remington.

I don't know Japanese, but since Remington seems to be pretty high ranking in the order of the church, I think it should translate into a title for someone important and respected.