AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-05, 06:02   Link #261
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well I just watched the first episode and it was okayish, I guess. It was interesting but there were parts that were just plain cliché and some the logic the characters gave was borderline nonsensical.

The idea of a genki female character that looks down on everyone and drags around a guy tsundere for her is just too similar to a certain other anime for my taste...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 06:10   Link #262
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Well she's not a genki...
Also, as I thought the for some episodes people will think of this anime as Haruhi+Sket Dance.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 06:27   Link #263
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well I just watched the first episode and it was okayish, I guess. It was interesting but there were parts that were just plain cliché and some the logic the characters gave was borderline nonsensical.

The idea of a genki female character that looks down on everyone and drags around a guy tsundere for her is just too similar to a certain other anime for my taste...
For whatever it's worth, this is a completely different genre from Haruhi since it's a fighting Shounen Jump series. The first major villain was already in the OP (and glaring at her during her speech). Although if you dislike borderline nonsensical logic you may have some problems with this series anyway...
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 07:01   Link #264
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Also, as I thought the for some episodes people will think of this anime as Haruhi+Sket Dance.
Well that's what people thought when the manga came out as well, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 07:03   Link #265
Misdreavius

Quote:

Well I can see many other features that make it very DISIMILAR to this other anime. That other anime's not about a student council, it's not about super powers, Medaka isn't god in "THAT" sense, but she is in terms of strength, Medaka's not genki O.o, she doesn't look down on people, she helps them, and Medaka doesn't drag Zenkichi around, she just wants to be with him, unlike a certain pair from this other anime at the start of THAT series.

And what's wrong with Zenkichi being similar to the guy from the other anime? That type of character is ten times better than the Ouma Shus of other animes.

And nowadays it's almost impossible to create a non-cliched story, seeing as cliches are the only way you'll get an interesting story, since almost every plot element has been done in some way or form.
Spoiler for unless:
Misdreavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 07:05   Link #266
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not a manga reader but from the few things I've seen from a few later chapters,if there's one shonen jump manga that seems right for gainax it's this one.
Not to mention the "gainaxing" potential of Medaka
You know: the more I think about it the more I start to believe Gainax is a nice fit for this show: there's the "gainaxing" potential of Medaka you've already mentioned and then there's the absolute madness that is the plot. Both are traits that go hand in hand with Gainax so let's see if the bet works.
Old 2012-04-05, 07:25   Link #267
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Gainax did a pretty good job on the first episode. The pacing was okay too, and the direction was quite up to expectations. Still need time to get used to Toyosaki Aki as Medaka. I mean, the tone she uses for Medaka's character is something that I'm not quite used to, yet.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 09:02   Link #268
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
Can I take this one?
Old 2012-04-05, 10:06   Link #269
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I liked it. Early Medaka was always more of a cute than a tough character, so I think it fits.
Oh I also think it's quite good for Medaka as she is right now. I just know that Toyoguchi could step it up (thanks to roles like Revy) and was even better during these parts (thanks to the VOMIC). Still this is Aki's chance to show she can do it... if it gets that far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdreavius View Post
I'm also hoping that somebody in the production department went... "WAIT, 24 episodes is not enough to even get to Kumagawa, we need at least 45 episodes guys to do a proper adaptation but still get to the good part."
Why do you think Imaishi (the original rumored director of MB) left Gainax?! "You want me to adapt Medaka Box without Kumagawa? Stuff this I'm gonna pull the "trigger" and get outta here, who wants to leave with me!".
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 10:55   Link #270
sa547
*Author

Watched it... and we got a winner. No, fuck, this show blows off the doors on me!

Once again... MANGATRON WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?
Old 2012-04-05, 12:17   Link #271
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Watched it... and we got a winner. No, fuck, this show blows off the doors on me!

Once again... MANGATRON WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?
He is on a blood pool on Current Series before being able to enter to this thread .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 12:29   Link #272
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

And been such a long time since an Avatar played by Yui-chan's voice too!!
Old 2012-04-05, 12:45   Link #273
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
True. I guess the word I was looking for was "outgoing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Although if you dislike borderline nonsensical logic you may have some problems with this series anyway...
It's not the nonsensical logic that I dislike. It's the weird way in which they present it as meaningful that I can't get my head round. I can't tell if it's actually trying to be deep or not.

But it's actually a fighting story then that works, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdreavius View Post
And nowadays it's almost impossible to create a non-cliched story, seeing as cliches are the only way you'll get an interesting story, since almost every plot element has been done in some way or form.
Yes but I generally rarely ever get the sense of cliché, even with plot lines that I've seen before. It's not that i have problem with it that much or anything. It's still good. It's just that this is written by Nisio Isin and my expectation were higher.

And personally I liked Ouma Shu. I thought he was a decent character (well at least his concept in the second half anyway).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 12:55   Link #274
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Yes but I generally rarely ever get the sense of cliché, even with plot lines that I've seen before. It's not that i have problem with it that much or anything. It's still good. It's just that this is written by Nisio Isin and my expectation were higher.
Hm, it's a rather fair assessment for episode one, but just it, it's only one episode so far, it kinda gets weirder. Though it's fairly easy to see where you're coming from, it's kinda hard to get my point across without spoiling anything, which is why it also gets complicated when trying to recommend the manga for the same reasons.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 13:06   Link #275
Clarste
Human

Cliche is a plot point in this series. Medaka is unashamedly a Mary Sue character, and most of the series is an examination of what exactly that means.
Old 2012-04-05, 13:16   Link #276
sikvod00

In general, the character designs aren't that appealing to me. But the male childhood friends looks really bad. What's up with that hair?
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 13:32   Link #277
ookamigirl

Hmm.. this kinda reminds me of Sket Dance on some level, but it's way cooler.
Student council president sure is an unusual girl.
Zen-kun doesn't have it easy with her though.
The kendo club story was totally ironic & ROFL, but with a positive ending.
Hyuga was kinda annoying & totally deserved getting beat up by Zenkichi & "trained" by her. Interesting first episode. Will give it a try.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 13:42   Link #278
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Manga readers like myself are basically gimped in trying to comment on this show, as it's so EASY to spoil.

I have only one advice to anime-watchers: it's going to be a bumpy ride, and only with perseverance will the payoff named Kumagawa be reached. If ever.
Old 2012-04-05, 14:55   Link #279
Clarste
Human

Kumagawa's first mentioned in chapter 20, so that should be around episode 10. Not too far, especially if they decide to expand the flashbacks a bit.
Old 2012-04-05, 14:57   Link #280
Midonin
Last Engage

I keep hearing a lot about how it gets better later on, but I like it plenty in these initial stages.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, shounen