AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-08, 22:03   Link #561
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
This is the message of Muv-Luv, even someone who never heard anything about it could probably gather as much. Indeed, should Muv Luv get it's own forum, and fanfiction threads, I anticipate the trend would be similar to ZnT crossovers. In ZnT crossovers, you replace the generic harem wimp with another character. In Muv Luv fanfiction crossovers, I'd imagine you'd see Harem wimps and Slice of Life girls being fed to the BETAs!
No, my idea is a fleet of ships from whichever of the far-future series of Minoru Kawakami (preferably one which is set millennia into the future) used the energy from the sun to fire a laser that instantly destroys the hives that are in Earth within four days. The day was called "The Day of Sudden Hope" and it ultimately decreased the time needed to clear the BETA from thirty years to just three years, thanks to the millennia-advanced technology of these futuristic people.

However, with the BETAs still around, and this advanced technology running loose, the troops of TSFs across the world slowly develop their own personal interests, whether to wipeout the BETAs for good, incite chaos in the battlefield, or to steal the futuristic technology.

Honestly, Muv-Luv is better off without those overpowered BETA.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:15   Link #562
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
No, my idea is a fleet of ships from whichever of the far-future series of Minoru Kawakami (preferably one which is set millennia into the future) used the energy from the sun to fire a laser that instantly destroys the hives that are in Earth within four days. The day was called "The Day of Sudden Hope" and it ultimately decreased the time needed to clear the BETA from thirty years to just three years, thanks to the millennia-advanced technology of these futuristic people.

However, with the BETAs still around, and this advanced technology running loose, the troops of TSFs across the world slowly develop their own personal interests, whether to wipeout the BETAs for good, incite chaos in the battlefield, or to steal the futuristic technology.

Honestly, Muv-Luv is better off without those overpowered BETA.
Hmm, the Culture?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:16   Link #563
Friday
Im shy too...

death, death everywhere......
and she had to survive....

oh well, on to the boring bits now......

oh Genji.....
nice avatar
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:18   Link #564
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
oh Genji.....
nice avatar...
...ano,, sono.... arigatou..

Hope our Ambassador Setsuna, returns back soon, because another alien race has just attacked Earth.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:20   Link #565
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Nerf laser class plox. Too OP, oneshotting my vikings TSFs. Wonder if Takemizakuchi will get blown up as easily as the other mechs by these bastards...

Which reminds me, what the heck did they do to counter laser class when they're already flying planes 3 years later? Hope they'll explain it next episode.
I can explain that with this image.

Basically while laser travel at 300000km/s, they are still ultimately affected by the terrain especially the curvature of the earth when gagging targets at extreme ranges. Muvluv universe have large transport jets and they only fly because there is no BETA anywhere near where they are flying .
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:22   Link #566
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Nerf laser class plox. Too OP, oneshotting my vikings TSFs. Wonder if Takemizakuchi will get blown up as easily as the other mechs by these bastards...

Which reminds me, what the heck did they do to counter laser class when they're already flying planes 3 years later? Hope they'll explain it next episode.
If it can one-shot the first generation machines, so are the 2nd and 3rd generation ones. No amount of armor will save you from it. That's why they are so overpowered. It's also why the military will not use air support unless they confirm that all laser class are destroyed or use ballistic missiles unless for the sake of temporarily diverting the attention of the laser class for a greater purpose. Otherwise, they'll be just wasting resources faster than they're supposed to.

I'm thinking they used heavy-metal clouds when the plane took off for insurance. Their destination is a "safe" zone anyway and far from the front lines.

As for the laser class in episode two, I'm REALLY glad they were not great in numbers... if there were hundreds of them right behind Yui and her group... I can't imagine them surviving that long.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:23   Link #567
potchip

Am I the only one who find the laser class kind of...cute and cuddly?
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:30   Link #568
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I liked about the episode, but not for the reasons most people probably do. I didn't care one bit about the characters who died because I never got to know them. Still don't care for the main either. But I do kind of like the idea of the main having to live with the burden of losing her friends.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:32   Link #569
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
Spoiler:
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:37   Link #570
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I liked about the episode, but not for the reasons most people probably do. I didn't care one bit about the characters who died because I never got to know them. Still don't care for the main either. But I do kind of like the idea of the main having to live with the burden of losing her friends.
You are not supposed to care for them, in any case. If anything, I see them as a mockery of the Slice of Life genre, by giving us bland copy-paste characters that are fitting for a generic Slice of Life of mediocre quality. Those girls are in the wrong genre. They all die. They are redshirts. Do you care for redshirts? Unfortunately, no, even if those redshirts arguably are real people, that we just don't see enough for to connect with it.

They are statistics. But to the PoV character, they are close friends. It's an interesting disconnect, but there's little the anime can do to flesh those characters out, not without an amazing writer that can give life to a sizable cast of disposable cast in a single episode. And they still have a story to tell.

That is the start of Muv Luv Alternative's message. Let us eat every Slice of Life and Harem trope alive, both literally, and figuratively.
Old 2012-07-08, 22:41   Link #571
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Based on what most are speculating right now....

Spoiler for My Speculation:
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 22:49   Link #572
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
If anything, I see them as a mockery of the Slice of Life genre, by giving us bland copy-paste characters that are fitting for a generic Slice of Life of mediocre quality.
Huh? Isn't the first two episodes supposed to be anime-original?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2012-07-08, 22:54   Link #573
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Huh? Isn't the first two episodes supposed to be anime-original?
It is. That to me is part of the point of the first two episodes. It reinforces the fact that these teenagers by rights shouldn't be there, and set the theme of Muv Luv - a war so desperate that boys and girls who shouldn't be there, but in another genre, are dying. In droves. Reading the first two episodes alone would tell you that on the onset.

That to me is the good thing about these two episodes.

The bad thing is the animation, and pacing - again, nothing they can do though, about that, given how impatient audiences are - I mean, you already had people complaining about the first episode about the characters, and in the second episode, another set complaining that these characters are killed of too fast that we can't care for their deaths? Given the constraints of the medium, I'd say they'd are doing an adequate job, absent a god-tier scriptwriter.

The other is to drive home that Muv Luv is seriously dark stuff. Despair, suffering, and did I see a Madoka Magica shoutout this Episode?
Old 2012-07-08, 22:59   Link #574
dark998

Way, way better episode than the first one, now with all the crappy characters gone the true story has green light to start. Bring on that Inia, goddammit.

And the OP is awful, I know the video will be replaced with the normal one next week but the song is bad. ED is good, though.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 23:03   Link #575
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
That to me is the good thing about these two episodes.
"Unsettling" is all there is to it.

Quote:
The other is to drive home that Muv Luv is seriously dark stuff. Despair, suffering, and did I see a Madoka Magica shoutout this Episode?
And I'm suddenly reminded of the thread I created a few weeks ago.

Old 2012-07-08, 23:08   Link #576
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

You should read the hero with a thousand faces... it will answer most of your questions
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 23:33   Link #577
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmm... so MuvLuv is on the side of "you cannot cost effectively saturate point defense systems" side of the point defense vs missile debate. Interesting.

And I would've thought 3 years later, BETA would've been everywhere considering how BADLY they've shown Japan lost the battle of Kyoto, and thus be unsafe to fly anything. I mean, they've shown the world almost totally taken over in the first episode, and they just barely fought them back to retake Kyoto this episode. But meh, I guess it can't be helped a lot of these details are glossed over, having a time skip and all.

Finally, am glad to hear that it doesn't sound as if Takemizakuchi is nigh invulnerable. One thing that bothered me with shows like Gundam... new generation of mecha gets introduced, everything else becomes obsolete by being ineffective at taking it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
Actually reminds me of this pic...
Spoiler for save space:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 23:39   Link #578
Darkmatterx76

It's good to see a series put a really serious face on war. This is my first intro to Muv so I can't say anything about the previous stuff but I found ep 2 pretty depressing (in a good way) and am looking forward to more.

I do wish that

Spoiler for Last Girl:
Darkmatterx76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 00:16   Link #579
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Actually reminds me of this pic...
Oh god, Kog'Maw and Sona.

Quote:
It's good to see a series put a really serious face on war.
It's not like it's the first series to have shown such a concept. Besides, I actually prefer the Gundam series to this: better leave nameless mooks far out of the spotlight so that the plot can truly focus on those who deserve it.

Old 2012-07-09, 00:19   Link #580
lansglenn

OMG so much waste of very nicely proportioned girls =O

Such tragedies

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen