Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-30, 08:58   Link #1
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Sexuality

What is your sexuality?

Do you think it matters what sexuality you are?

Have you ever been bullied for your sexuality?

I think sexuality is a very important subject, so Discuss.

And to be honest I am confused about my sexuality at the moment..

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 09:27   Link #2
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
What is your sexuality?

Hmmm.

Sounds like you need answers not to the questions you're asking, but to questions you're not asking at the moment. What happened, Imouto-chan? Is there something about yourself that you're feeling bothered about? Tell us.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 09:27   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Father and son were driving on the road.

An accident took place, father died on the spot.

Son was sent to the hospital and a doctor works on him in the ER.

The doctor says, 'he is my son'.

Who is the father?

Spoiler for answer:

Anyway the above is a question asked by my teacher, she had a degree on gender studies. She was telling us about how the society identifies individuals and stuff by gender, its just subconsciously built into the mind that males and females must behave in certain ways.

Why can a female be dressed in a tomboy or masculine way but males can't wear skirts or put on make-up. Why do people like yuri more than yaoi?

'Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!'

I have that in my sig for some time. I like traps, they're very interesting. I'm still like females much more than males, I don't draw males in my pics for example. But I don't have this fear of becoming gay some time, though I don't see myself ever becoming gay. Until some guy makes me go gay for him, I'm still going to love girls.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 10:38   Link #4
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Father and son were driving on the road.

An accident took place, father died on the spot.

Son was sent to the hospital and a doctor works on him in the ER.

The doctor says, 'he is my son'.

Who is the father?

Spoiler for answer:
Very interesting...If I didn't know the topic was about sexuality, I probably would have just released a large amount of dandruff(not that I have a lot) from scratching and not know the answer.

Quote:
Anyway the above is a question asked by my teacher, she had a degree on gender studies. She was telling us about how the society identifies individuals and stuff by gender, its just subconsciously built into the mind that males and females must behave in certain ways.
I partly agree but don't you think its also affected by how professions are titled? I mean Actor vs. Actress, King vs. Queen, Lion vs. Lioness(ok,not a profession but still), Hero vs. Heroine,---from this, people usually build presumptions. And In my own language, Doctor is the male doctor but the female is called something else. What do you think?

Quote:
Why can a female be dressed in a tomboy or masculine way but males can't wear skirts or put on make-up.
I'm a bit offended...I'm actually wearing girls' clothing right this moment..
I think that(originally) has something to do with the male and female's natural tendency of preference with their outward appearance but, of course, society pressure boosts this tendency. Females are more flexible and have a different type of brain that lets them do many things at the same time.

Quote:
Why do people like yuri more than yaoi?
For men, emotion=not cool. for women, emotion=cool.

Quote:
'Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!'

I have that in my sig for some time. I like traps, they're very interesting. I'm still like females much more than males, I don't draw males in my pics for example. But I don't have this fear of becoming gay some time, though I don't see myself ever becoming gay. Until some guy makes me go gay for him, I'm still going to love girls.
....I think most people(society) would prefer you as a guy. People tend to dislike "abnormalities" or anything that contradicts with their "norms".
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 11:06   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
What is your sexuality?
I date women.

My gender identity is female, even though my biological sex is male.

Quote:
It matters to me, but it should not matter to anyone else.

Quote:
Not for my sexuality, but for my gender identity. It's the reason I'm currently sleepy, hungry, broke and homeless. It's why I can't ever find a foothold and keep sliding backwards. Because the male-dominated world cannot bear the thought of a male who doesn't love being male.

Quote:
If you're gay or have a differing gender identity from the norm, you better hope you don't live in the bible belt. Or your life is going to be pure fucking hell.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:08   Link #6
Cipher

Quote:
What is your sexuality?
Male and male...I'm not sure but I think there's more than one person in me.
Quote:
It matters so much that I can't even express it with words. It's one of my definition, as a person and as a citizen. It affects my decisions and personality too.

Quote:
yes..somewhat....verbally and physically...but I had my own sets of words and hardened legs so it didn't last long.

Quote:
I think sexuality is a very important subject.
I'm so glad there's a new thread...I'm a general chat person and my recent ambitions for new threads have been failing.

Quote:
And to be honest I am confused about my sexuality at the moment.
Why does it always start with confusion? All of the gay people, who I know are gay from the moment I've met them, keep saying that they're now confused about their sex where in fact that its so obvious that even kids could predict their future sexuality. Here's my advice: if you're a girl, you're a girl..if you're a guy, you're a guy. acknowledge that and you'll eventually follow "normalcy".
Old 2009-08-30, 11:13   Link #7
Fome

Synaesthetic, How can one's gender identity be female but biological sex be male? Your biological composition determines your gender. So I guess you are saying that you just have an aversion to male culture? I can sympathize somewhat here, as I tend to find the cultural expectations for a male to be extremely constricting. And American guys' clothing selection is just terrible...

I'm still a little confused. If you date women, are you saying that you ideally wish you were a lesbian woman?
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 11:18   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Synaesthetic, How can one's gender identity be female but biological sex be male? Your biological composition determines your gender. So I guess you are saying that you just have an aversion to male culture? I can sympathize somewhat here, as I tend to find the cultural expectations for a male to be extremely constricting. And American guys' clothing selection is just terrible...

I'm still a little confused. If you date women, are you saying that you ideally wish you were a lesbian woman?
I'm a trans female. Gender is only influenced by biological sex. The two terms are not interchangeable.

So it's not so much I'm averse to male culture--male culture is fine for males who enjoy being men. I'm more saying that I would prefer not to have the set of equipment I was born with, and have been trying (though not very successfully) to change them.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:20   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I partly agree but don't you think its also affected by how professions are titled? I mean Actor vs. Actress, King vs. Queen, Lion vs. Lioness(ok,not a profession but still), Hero vs. Heroine,---from this, people usually build presumptions. And In my own language, Doctor is the male doctor but the female is called something else. What do you think?
Its not just the title, its entire jobs, like my question of the doctor. There's no 'doctress', but people just assume doctors = male, like nurse = female.

Then there's something like being a female bassist, instantly means sexy. Female drivers = bad? Men and women are equal? etc.

Gender has an affect in everything we identify with. I personally don't care too much about gender. People should just do what they like, being gay, cross dressing, working in jobs that are commonly for the opposite sex etc.
Quote:
What is your sexuality?

I'm physically male, but probably have an ambiguous mentality, probably means bisexual lol

I think I would be better off female, probably because I hate Singapore's National Service for males.

I've never been bullied for being a male, I've never be bullied before.

Like I mentioned above, be what you like to be.

Old 2009-08-30, 11:21   Link #10
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm a trans female. Gender is only influenced by biological sex. The two terms are not interchangeable.

So it's not so much I'm averse to male culture--male culture is fine for males who enjoy being men. I'm more saying that I would prefer not to have the set of equipment I was born with, and have been trying (though not very successfully) to change them.
Uh, ok you don't have to answer this but, you saying you have both parts? Just trying to clarify
Old 2009-08-30, 11:22   Link #11
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

So, right now, you're male? Sex exchange but is attracted to girls? A gay within a gay? that's very interesting!
Old 2009-08-30, 11:25   Link #12
Ascaloth

Quote:

LOL. Okay Fome, listen up; I'm going to give a lecture.

Gender and biological sex are actually two different concepts. Biological sex is....well, what it says on the tin, basically. The hardware you start out with. What you come packaged with. IYKWIM.

Gender, on the other hand, is something more akin to an aspect of self-identity. It's what one considers oneself to be, and forms part of one's self-identification; much like one would refer to oneself as an occupation, or a name, or such.

So let's take synaesthetic as an example....she came into the world with masculine hardware, but self-identifies as a female. So yes, it is possible for one's gender identity to be at odds with one's biological sex. The problem here is that most people confuse the terms "sex" and "gender" to be interchangable; that's not the case. Refer again to the definition I brought up.

That Sexuality module I took last semester sure comes in handy now.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:25   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Naw. I have external plumbing, I just don't want it!

I started life out as male, but it didn't jive with how my brain and emotional state worked. Some little mistake during conception, some trigger that should have gone off, not going off. Who knows why it ended up the way it did, but the fact is I should have been female, but I wasn't born that way.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:25   Link #14
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
What is your sexuality?

This is a sensitive issue, so I'll say only a few things...

Sexuality matters at the place where I work, and my boss probably won't accept anyone who is gay.

Never been bullied about my sexuality because I am straight.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-08-30 at 11:28. Reason: removed something that might be offensive to gay people
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 11:31   Link #15
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Its not just the title, its entire jobs, like my question of the doctor. There's no 'doctress', but people just assume doctors = male, like nurse = female.
Well you can't prevent people from generalizing. I think its normal, unchangeable, and fitting in some cases.

Quote:
Then there's something like being a female bassist, instantly means sexy. Female drivers = bad? Men and women are equal? etc.
Sorry? How are female bassist sexy and female drivers bad? I do have a stereotype with women. Their muscle compositions are less than men and their weaker. They have a female reproductive system.(thought not necessarily) They have long hair and their emotional. They also lack balance. "sisters" and "mothers" are also all women.

Quote:
Gender has an affect in everything we identify with. I personally don't care too much about gender. People should just do what they like, being gay, cross dressing, working in jobs that are commonly for the opposite sex etc.I'm physically male, but probably have an ambiguous mentality, probably means bisexual lol
do you think that's ever gonna change?
Old 2009-08-30, 11:36   Link #16
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Well you can't prevent people from generalizing. I think its normal, unchangeable, and fitting in some cases.

Sorry? How are female bassist sexy and female drivers bad?

do you think that's ever gonna change?
People can generalise, but the power of generalising overcomes even their own logic. Just like we have a problem figuring out the father.

Seems like you don't know female bassists are considered sexy and female drivers are always criticised. Well, now you know.

The topic on gender and sexuality will always exist, as long as humans have these 2 genders.

Old 2009-08-30, 11:40   Link #17
Ascaloth

synaesthetic, I'm just curious....if you're in need of the basic necessities, where are you posting from?
Old 2009-08-30, 11:47   Link #18
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
LOL. Okay Fome, listen up; I'm going to give a lecture.

Gender and biological sex are actually two different concepts. Biological sex is....well, what it says on the tin, basically. The hardware you start out with. What you come packaged with. IYKWIM.

Gender, on the other hand, is something more akin to an aspect of self-identity. It's what one considers oneself to be, and forms part of one's self-identification; much like one would refer to oneself as an occupation, or a name, or such.

So let's take synaesthetic as an example....she came into the world with masculine hardware, but self-identifies as a female. So yes, it is possible for one's gender identity to be at odds with one's biological sex. The problem here is that most people confuse the terms "sex" and "gender" to be interchangable; that's not the case. Refer again to the definition I brought up.

That Sexuality module I took last semester sure comes in handy now.
I don't know how much stock I take in that definition, basically because your description of "gender" is too subjective. Different cultures have different gender expectations, which may make one "identify" as a male in, say, Japan, but feel more like a female in, say, the USA. And how does one know that he should self-identify as a male or female? We all have lived only one life--it's not like we could possibly have any concrete idea of what it feels like to be the opposite sex. So to me, when a man says that he thinks his gender identity is female, what he actually means is that he wishes he could become what he perceives as feminine, even when he probably doesn't know what that really means.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:47   Link #19
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Kid....if smartass, vaguely offensive remarks are all you're good for, shut the fuck up.
What? I was serious.
Old 2009-08-30, 11:56   Link #20
Ascaloth

Quote:
I don't know how much stock I take in that definition, basically because your description of "gender" is too subjective. Different cultures have different gender expectations, which may make one "identify" as a male in, say, Japan, but feel more like a female in, say, the USA. And how does one know that he should self-identify as a male or female? We all have lived only one life--it's not like we could possibly have any concrete idea of what it feels like to be the opposite sex. So to me, when a man says that he thinks his gender identity is female, what he actually means is that he wishes he could become what he perceives as feminine, even when he probably doesn't know what that really means.
*facepalm*

It's the sociological definition I'm using here, dude. My definition of "gender" is about as objective as it gets.

And what do you mean "how does one know that he should self-identify as a male or female"? synaesthetic and her kind are proof enough that there are people out there whose gender identification are at odds with their biological makeup. Really, just because you don't have to experience that kind of conflict about your own identity doesn't mean such conflicts doesn't exist.

Quote:
What? I was serious.
It's still smartass, and it's still vaguely offensive, especially to synaesthetic I would imagine. Again, zip it if you have nothing better to say.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the positive rep, kid. Good job at your epic fail of a neg attempt there.