AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 11 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 65 43.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 24.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 14.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 8.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-20, 16:23   Link #121
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Thanks for enlightening me about the Avenue.

Well, I couldn't distinguish other hungarians 20-30 meter away from me, despite that we/they also have some unique characteristics among other Europeans.
Especially if I'd be just after a memory whipe. I mean let's imagine said scenario: *Erases his own memories* *notices girl across the street* "Oh, I don't even have a frickin clue who I am, but that girl is surely from the same country as I am! Even though I'm stark-naked, let's start a conversation with her by waving my revolver and ignoring the two cops between us!"

There are just far too many circumstancial evidence suggesting Saki and Akira's meeting wasn't a coincidence at the White House IMHO. I tend to believe he knew something about her prior to his memorywhipe, and she is the reason he was in the US.
Old 2009-06-20, 16:41   Link #122
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
As for the prince in a kingless land...
I think that all the concern we've seen in these threads about biblical accuracies and the fine points of Christian theology is totally up the stump, if you know what I mean.

I believe that these Japanese guys have about as much knowledge about Christianity and the Bible as I do about Shinto and it's ancient texts. In my experience, they like to use biblical mythology and especially its symbols, but they have no clue what it's about. See Chrno Crusade with the intrepid nuns battling the demons. (I can't believe Rosette died at the end! I still cry everytime I think about it... <sob>... )

I do like the Overman analogy. Again, I have my doubts about Japanese knowledge of Neitzsche, but you never know. In any case, IX certainly does represent the model of the Overman (and Zarathustra). It's a shame he has to achieve his freedom from ressentiment by wiping his memory.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-20 at 21:49.
Old 2009-06-20, 18:17   Link #123
General_Asakura
Random Lazy Dude

I have to say that this episode, no the entire series felt like a setup for the movie that is to come.

I liked it Though
Old 2009-06-20, 18:43   Link #124
Dextro
He Without a Title

Ok Ok hold on just a minute! Did they mention "The Patriots System"?!?!? WTF!?!? Is this some sort of Metal Gear Solid anime and I wasn't aware of it? Is it a coincidence? A nod to Hideo Kojima's work?

All I know is that I stood flabbergasted at the screen when I saw *la-le-li-lo-lu* written on the subs, preety weird stuff...
Old 2009-06-20, 19:59   Link #125
karumofin

oh by the way, to those who think the taxi driver has relevance, in episode for the doctor guy says he was selected when riding a taxi... coincidence? i think not.
Old 2009-06-20, 20:08   Link #126
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Patriot System is likely referring to the Patriot missle defense system, who's function is to shoot down ICBMs with rapid targetting missles.

Quote:
I do like the Overman analogy. Again, I have my doubts about Japanese knowledge of Neitzsche, but you never know. In any case, IX certainly does represent the model of the Overman (and Zarathustra). It's a shame he has to achieve his freedom from ressentiment by wiping his memory.
I don't think ressentiment really applies here, it's not like he has resentment of a more powerful social class. Nietszche termed his ressentiment as an overpowering jealousy of a the more powerful social classes who are more or less the Haves and those with ressentiment the Have Nots in his "A Genealogy of Morals". If anything, call Akira a wavering Overman who couldn't truly handle the pressure of his desired role and status because he was still affected by more abstract terms such as friendship, whereas a true Overman is not bound by such things.

Quote:
I think this crystalizes the essence of this show and what makes it such a milestone statement.

Japanese society is in the midst of a massive social change from their age-old inward-looking feudal mindset to a 21st century world-oriented empowerment of the individual. I think this was what Saki was struggling to articulate on the escalator way back when they were leaving America.

Problems of this change are apparent to all, but many are having difficulty even understanding it, much less doing anything about it. These problems obviously manifest in the hikkikomori or NEETs as shown in Eden of the East. And in the high death rates of salarymen by suicide and overwork (like in X's family).

A common reaction in Japan to having a hikkikomori in the family is denial and shame. It really reminds me of the hippies in the West during the 1960s and the social transformation they embodied.

Their society is creaking and groaning under the weight of the old ways and they are desperately looking for ways to make this transition without the whole ediface crashing down.

This program articulates these issues and is very boldly stating that this change is not the end of the world, that it's actually a good thing, and that these new ways need to be integrated into the society, not locked away, for the betterment of all.
The Japanes have been somewhat resistant to change in it's history, going so far as to implement an isolationist existence during the era of the Shoguns.
Old 2009-06-20, 20:48   Link #127
slayer545-sama
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Ok Ok hold on just a minute! Did they mention "The Patriots System"?!?!? WTF!?!? Is this some sort of Metal Gear Solid anime and I wasn't aware of it? Is it a coincidence? A nod to Hideo Kojima's work?

All I know is that I stood flabbergasted at the screen when I saw *la-le-li-lo-lu* written on the subs, preety weird stuff...
The patriot system is A MISSILE SYSTEM TO DESTROY OTHER MISSILES! I have been captain the military and know more than ALL OF YOU! I can say to you also it was imprecise and why the USA did not want it now. Furthermore Juriz helped that system as well as the F-18! The F-18 used AIM-9 missiles for close range destruction of other Tomohawks but I would have used AIM-120 for longer range before they would make it near the land!
Old 2009-06-20, 22:22   Link #128
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Is it even possible to intercept missiles with air-to-air missiles? I've never heard anything of the sort before.

Old 2009-06-20, 22:40   Link #129
Lvrhina
Akamatsu Fan

Send a message via MSN to Lvrhina
Yay for two movies in the next 6 months to find out what actually happens ><
Old 2009-06-20, 23:09   Link #130
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Is it even possible to intercept missiles with air-to-air missiles? I've never heard anything of the sort before.
well, those fighters were F-15 which can carry sparrow missiles or the japanese Mitsubishi AAM-4 that can fly at Mach 4 and the tomahawks only can fly at 550 mph. Japan doesn't have F-18 and those clearly had the marks of the JSDF.
Old 2009-06-20, 23:34   Link #131
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't think ressentiment really applies here, it's not like he has resentment of a more powerful social class. Nietszche termed his ressentiment as an overpowering jealousy of a the more powerful social classes who are more or less the Haves and those with ressentiment the Have Nots in his "A Genealogy of Morals".
You know, they're going to yell at us if we do this again. But at the risk...

What I was referring to as ressentiment and what I recall Nietzsche meaning was the myths and morality created by the slaves in the master-slave relationship whereby it's really good to be a slave and the slaves are morally superior to the master. According to Nietzsche, this is the genealogy of morals.

Wikipedia seems to contradict itself on this point:

"Ressentiment is a sense of resentment...ressentiment is not to be considered interchangeable with the normal English word resentment...
...speaks to the special relationship between a sense of inferiority and the creation of morality"
I guess this is another illustration of how much we should depend on Wikipedia.

The mindwipe certainly gives him freedom from his past baggage, which I guess is why he did it again. That approach rubs me the wrong way. Experiences can confuse us, but in the end we're better off integrating all our experiences into a new and better understanding. You can't just forget about stuff you don't want to remember! Although people do it all the time.

p.s. Nietzsche is my favorite philosopher and I have all his stuff (including Kaufmann)! Unfortunately I have to move again and haul all that crap around once more.

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-21 at 06:36. Reason: spelling -1
Old 2009-06-21, 00:47   Link #132
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I don't think he wants to know that he made himself a king. That knowledge kind of makes him less "genuine", which is probably also why he needed to rid himself of his phone (i.e., the evidence of making himself king).

Personally, I'm curious what strings will be pulled to establish this new monarchy.

EDIT: Oh hey, I just noticed that the song at the end is playing on the radio at the beginning of the first ep.

Last edited by k//eternal; 2009-06-21 at 00:58.
Old 2009-06-21, 00:59   Link #133
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
well, those fighters were F-15 which can carry sparrow missiles or the japanese Mitsubishi AAM-4 that can fly at Mach 4 and the tomahawks only can fly at 550 mph. Japan doesn't have F-18 and those clearly had the marks of the JSDF.
The planes are JASDF flagged F-15s - square engine intakes.

I see AIM-120 Slammers or AAM-4 (they're twins) mounted.
The missile I see fired is the new AAM-5 short-range missile.

My father used to tip over V-1s using the wing of his Spitfire!

FANATICS!
Old 2009-06-21, 01:01   Link #134
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
You know, they're going to yell at us if we do this again. But at the risk...

What I was referring to as ressentiment and what I recall Nietzsche meaning was the myths and morality created by the slaves in the master-slave relationship whereby it's really good to be a slave and the slaves are morally superior to the master. According to Nietzsche, this is the geneology of morals.

Wikipedia sems to contradict itself on this point:

"Ressentiment is a sense of resentment...ressentiment is not to be considered interchangeable with the normal English word resentment...
...speaks to the special relationship between a sense of inferiority and the creation of morality"
I guess this is another illustration of how much we should depend on Wikipedia.

The mindwipe certainly gives him freedom from his past baggage, which I guess is why he did it again. That approach rubs me the wrong way. Experiences can confuse us, but in the end we're better off integrating all our experiences into a new and better understanding. You can't just forget about stuff you don't want to remember! Although people do it all the time.

p.s. Nietzsche is my favorite philosopher and I have all his stuff (including Kaufmann)! Unfortunately I have to move again and haul all that crap around once more.
Actually Nietzsche had a point when you consider that most human conflict stems from socioeconomic disputes between rich and poor. To Nietzsche, Slave Morality comes off as the weak people's attempts to somehow justify their woes and find some dignity of sorts in their plight by exepmplfying the righteousness of their suffering and labelling the selfish power of the Masters as evil.

In contrast to the Master Morality who exemplifies their status as the ideal aim of man to reach. Here we see the results of having a dual nature of Morality: one moral direction creates an opposing moral direction. You end up with two conflicting moral compasses because not everyone can lay claim to belong in the same side of the spectrum.

This is paralleled by the opposition between Mononobe and Akira. If I had to make a really loose comparison, Mononobe somehow signifies the Master Morality that attempts to exert his powerful if violent will on the masses because he thinks it is the right thing to do. In contrast Akira could be the Slave Morality, standing with the weaker humans who think they have no say in the upheavals to come and trying to break down the oppression of the more powerful classes.

Edit - Might as well add that Nietzsche never really sided with either moral stances anyway. Even while the concept of the Overman is related more closely to Master Morality, he in his writings has leaned in sympathy for the Slave Moralities as well.
Old 2009-06-21, 02:17   Link #135
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So many parts of this finale made me feel like I was watching Gundam 00 without the mecha with a different goal and a smaller scope:

Spoiler for the final 2 and some Gundam 00 spoilers:

Intriguing finale overall. Now the race is on to see which movie will come out first.
Old 2009-06-21, 02:26   Link #136
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

I voted perfect -- this show can do no wrong and I'm happy to know about the two movies!

Although ep. 11 did not feel rushed, but at the same time, Saki's explanation in the taxi cab to the rest of the crew could have been two episodes (there was so much info), peppered with slice of life and romantic moments. So, yeah, basically, I just want more, heh!

Although, I don't know if I buy the reason given for him erasing his memories. He couldn't stand the hatred? IDK, that seems like an overly emotional and rash decision to me, and it seems like a decision the present Taki would not make now.

I'm not saying that Takizawa isn't an emotional dude, but it was an emotional decision for such a clever and innovative guy.

Maybe it's just cause he wanted to run away, or maybe he wasn't the person he is now ever since he erased his memories and met Saki.
Old 2009-06-21, 03:09   Link #137
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
The patriot system is A MISSILE SYSTEM TO DESTROY OTHER MISSILES! I have been captain the military and know more than ALL OF YOU! I can say to you also it was imprecise and why the USA did not want it now. Furthermore Juriz helped that system as well as the F-18! The F-18 used AIM-9 missiles for close range destruction of other Tomohawks but I would have used AIM-120 for longer range before they would make it near the land!
Ahhh, i prefered the possibility of a MGS cameo, with Ato Saizo being Liquid at the end or some bullshit like this. It would be so retarded, that it would rocks.
Old 2009-06-21, 04:22   Link #138
slayer545-sama
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Ya it is and those looked like F-18 but I agreed that they could be F-15. They still looked like F-18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
The planes are JASDF flagged F-15s - square engine intakes.

I see AIM-120 Slammers or AAM-4 (they're twins) mounted.
The missile I see fired is the new AAM-5 short-range missile.

My father used to tip over V-1s using the wing of his Spitfire!

FANATICS!
NICE ONE! I would agreed with you 100% with no doubt although I still see them look alike of F-18!

I miss the times of your father with Spitfires killing V-1s! Those were the times and have heard some stories of Polish people about this. You should know that Poland did have some of these under their hands to fight the Nazis. MAN THOSE WERE THE REAL TIMES! Now it is all shitty electronics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
Ahhh, i prefered the possibility of a MGS cameo, with Ato Saizo being Liquid at the end or some bullshit like this. It would be so retarded, that it would rocks.
Yeah but the bad guy in the end would have to be #1, which we still do not know who it is. Maybe the president himself of the country??? Like MGS4 and YOU ARE IN LUCK.....I played all three of them!
Old 2009-06-21, 05:46   Link #139
Fevvers
a regular van veen

That was an impressive episode; a bit inconclusive, yes, but that's to be expected anyway, regardless we did get vital developments, namely in Akira's resolve, as well as the reason why the NEETs were shipped away and the outcome of their cooperation. The wait for the movies is sooooo going to be torture! >_>

As for the characters, Akira and Saki mainly, I was actually quite pleasantly surprised with the development they got (not a lot, but enough for the current arc), considering the kind of show this is. I noticed a lot of nuance with them, implicit characterization that focuses more on the character's thoughts, looks and actions. Teaches me not to doubt Kamiyama anymore. Heh.
Old 2009-06-21, 10:40   Link #140
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
What I was referring to as ressentiment and what I recall Nietzsche meaning was the myths and morality created by the slaves in the master-slave relationship whereby it's really good to be a slave and the slaves are morally superior to the master. According to Nietzsche, this is the geneology of morals.
Nietzsche actually says that morality is the weapon of the weak to dominate the strong. Therefore morality is a completely antinatural invention of the weak men dominating the world.

(Note that I don't side with him).

I don't know where you want to get with this though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Closed Thread