AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-22, 02:15   Link #13541
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Are you talking about the magnetic rails? In that case it does go beyond regular physics as she literally creates them out of thin air... but it's kinda part of the whole point that esper powers defy physics... ... perhaps all my argumentation about the recoil is ultimately pointless
My problem with Mikoto's railgun is it's outside the bounds of her powers. Magnetism isn't just shifting a few electrons (well, it can be...) or applying an electromagnetic field; only a select few elements are ferromagnetic. Air and the human body don't respond to electromagnetic fields because they're electromagnetically neutral. Making something "magnetic" would require actually altering the properties of the atoms being effected to make them respond in bulk to an electromagnetic field in the first place. That's not Mikoto's power.
Old 2011-08-22, 05:29   Link #13542
Drifting Wolf

^ Mikoto's power is under the classification of 'electromasters' and her ability is said to govern electricity. However, the usages of her power falls more under 'electromagentism' than electricity. I would gladly entertain your doubts about her power but I can tell you this - Making a railgun is not impossible for her.

It's merely the destructive capabilities of her Railgun that raises eyebrows.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:25   Link #13543
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, Mikoto might use the sand particle in the air as the rail just like how she create her iron sand whip sword right? It's not like the air in Academy City is completely free of micro size ferromagnetic material, even if Japan's air is very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
From the manga after Level Upper arc, both Mikoto and Kuroko are cleaning the pool as punishment, none of them seem to be aching from pain.
From the anime, beach episode and Saten's afterschool lessons, same here, it wasn't properly adressed.

With Tsuchimikado was enough to send him to the hospital during the Angel Fall, though.
Well, in manga, it's not like we get told every little detail of the character's thought, unlike in a novel. Mikoto might still suffer some aches here and there, just not on the level that will hinder her cleaning the pool(after all, she's not the type that will share her suffering with other, much less trivial injuries such as neck muscle aches).

As for Touma, it's not about the level of injury, but more about his wolverine-like healing factor. Critical injury doesn't heal in less than a week, but he manages to suffer a lot of critical injury in the span of less than half a year Mikoto on the other hand, doesn't have the healing factor, nor does she get injured badly often enough for her body to adapt, so a trivial injuries for her like bruises or muscle aches might take longer to be completely healed compared to Touma's life threatening one, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a serious injury that cause her neck to still be stiff even on fanfare, hence, not necessarily a plot hole just like you mentioned.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:32   Link #13544
Drifting Wolf

^ Adding the fact that he had his freakin' arm reattached by Heaven Canceller and was ready to check out within days. But Index never seems surprised at all. <.<
Old 2011-08-22, 10:07   Link #13545
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Meanwhile, the tour guide still had no idea what gave jeans their value. Her gaze moved from Kanzaki's giant breasts pushing out her T-shirt, then to her small and bare midriff, and finally to her large ass that was wrapped in her jeans.
Dat Kanzaki
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Old 2011-08-22, 10:41   Link #13546
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

I won't be updating the percentage for Fanfare, but there will be updates everyday.

And, I'm reluctant to say this, but Fanfare will be my final project on Toaru Majutsu no Index. I'll be around as editor, but I won't be translating. (Telling you guys beforehand so that you people won't be asking me in the future.)

EDIT: Hopefuly I won't be missed too badly.
Old 2011-08-22, 11:17   Link #13547
Phibrizzo
Honos628

No matter how much you say it we know you would be back Teh_ping you are just to tsun tsun to admit it.
Old 2011-08-22, 11:45   Link #13548
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
My problem with Mikoto's railgun is it's outside the bounds of her powers. Magnetism isn't just shifting a few electrons (well, it can be...) or applying an electromagnetic field; only a select few elements are ferromagnetic. Air and the human body don't respond to electromagnetic fields because they're electromagnetically neutral. Making something "magnetic" would require actually altering the properties of the atoms being effected to make them respond in bulk to an electromagnetic field in the first place. That's not Mikoto's power.
Absolutely everything is capable of conducting electricity, and thus, everything can be made into an electromagnet... The difference between materials is the electric resistance, but against... what? a billion volts? nothing can really put a resistance (though that would also mean a serious heating/burning of the "neutral" materials.)

I checked the wikia and it does say that she doesn't use rails... but I would like to know where in the novels does it say that, I don't remember.

Anyway, if she doesn't use rails, how does she shoot the coin? if it's imprinting the coin with a charge and putting the opposite charge in her own body, then her body would receive the same force as the coin, and that would normally have bloody consequences.

Well, ultimately I don't care that much, any solution (including my previous theory) violates the laws of physics... Just like about every fiction what deals with superpowers...

_____

@Phibrizzo - LOL yeah, he's like - "I-it's not like I wanted to keep translating... baaaka"

Last edited by leukrota; 2011-08-22 at 15:24. Reason: removing redundancy
Old 2011-08-22, 12:18   Link #13549
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
I won't be updating the percentage for Fanfare, but there will be updates everyday.

And, I'm reluctant to say this, but Fanfare will be my final project on Toaru Majutsu no Index. I'll be around as editor, but I won't be translating. (Telling you guys beforehand so that you people won't be asking me in the future.)

IF YOU LEAVE I'LL KILL MYSELF!!!!

Seriously though thanks for all the translating, and I'm really glad your doing Fanfare before you leave.
Old 2011-08-22, 13:04   Link #13550
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Absolutely everything is capable of conducting electricity, and thus, everything can be made into an electromagnet... The difference between materials is the electric resistance, but against... what? a billion volts? nothing can really put a resistance (though that would also mean a serious heating/burning of the "neutral" materials.)
Not what I meant. Have you every wondered why an EMP doesn't blast every single thing around it away? It's because the total structure is neutral. It's also why you'll never see a magnet manipulating the iron in a human body.
Old 2011-08-22, 14:15   Link #13551
mols

Quote:
Not what I meant. Have you every wondered why an EMP doesn't blast every single thing around it away? It's because the total structure is neutral. It's also why you'll never see a magnet manipulating the iron in a human body.
Hmmm, maybe not a magnet... but I am certain to have seen documentaries where they play with grasshopers and electromagnetic fields and make them float...
There's also the magnetic field of the Earth that other animals seem to use for navigation...
Dunno, I always try to give a pseudo scientific analysis of super powers... and almost always fail.
Old 2011-08-22, 15:02   Link #13552
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
Hmmm, maybe not a magnet... but I am certain to have seen documentaries where they play with grasshopers and electromagnetic fields and make them float...
That's unique conditions arising from using a superconducting material, which again: Mikoto doesn't have access to one when using her Railgun.

Quote:
There's also the magnetic field of the Earth that other animals seem to use for navigation...
Sensing the EMF and actually being pushed around by it are two different things.

Quote:
Dunno, I always try to give a pseudo scientific analysis of super powers... and almost always fail.
Technobabble always breaks down at some point, no matter what you're talking about. I'd just stop trying to explain it and go with the flow.
Old 2011-08-22, 15:42   Link #13553
leukrota

Quote:
... you'll never see a magnet manipulating the iron in a human body.
That's a tricky statement... the iron in the blood is still paramagnetic, which is why blood vessels show in a MRI. But even such a strong magnet can only align the iron (along other stuff) for a moment, before it returns to it's original alignment. I wonder if that's what you would consider manipulation... still, it's definitely not visible to the naked eye.

P.S. I get your point, I'm just pulling your leg now.
Old 2011-08-22, 15:48   Link #13554
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
That's a tricky statement... the iron in the blood is still paramagnetic, which is why blood vessels show in a MRI. But even such a strong magnet can only align the iron (along other stuff) for a moment, before it returns to it's original alignment. I wonder if that's what you would consider manipulation... still, it's definitely not visible to the naked eye.
Like you said: It's only for a very brief moment, and you're talking about paramagnetism not diamagnetism, which is supposedly what Mikoto's using.

Quote:
P.S. I get your point, I'm just pulling your leg now.
I figured.
Old 2011-08-22, 16:31   Link #13555
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post

Is this about that other guy translating faster than you can obtain the book? Oh sweetie we really told you already- we don't care about that
Old 2011-08-22, 16:35   Link #13556
mols

It's funny. Depending on the anime and it's subjects we can see the subjects of interest and expertise of the viewers. I don't remember much of my physics lessons, but what I just read brings back memories...
When it comes to more biological subjects, specially behavior and evolution I have to stop myself from actually flooding the forums with my complains hahaha
... in fact I generally don't post because I tire myself out just by explaining to myself how such and such is plain wrong...
Old 2011-08-22, 16:43   Link #13557
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
When it comes to more biological subjects, specially behavior and evolution I have to stop myself from actually flooding the forums with my complains hahaha
... in fact I generally don't post because I tire myself out just by explaining to myself how such and such is plain wrong...
WHAT?! You mean virus doesn't mutant corpses into zombies, or zombies into mutant zombies with giant eyeballs and tentacles, or mutant zombies into giant monsters that magically produces 100 times more mass than what the original host body had?

You mean to tell me radiation doesn't give you superpowers ?! Get out of here!
Old 2011-08-22, 16:51   Link #13558
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
WHAT?! You mean virus doesn't mutant corpses into zombies, or zombies into mutant zombies with giant eyeballs and tentacles, or mutant zombies into giant monsters that magically produces 100 times more mass than what the original host body had?

You mean to tell me radiation doesn't give you superpowers ?! Get out of here!
hahahaha, yep, sometimes I joke with my friends how becoming a biologist/scientist spoils the pleasure of watching fiction. But I also remember one time in college were we spent a whole lesson discussing about the life cycle of the Aliens (from the Alien movies) and actually found that it made sense if certain conditions were met. Needless to say that we did not listen a single word the teacher was saying while we happily talked about facehuggers and queens hahahaha.
Old 2011-08-22, 16:58   Link #13559
Ashaman

True, knowing this stuff can spoil fiction in some ways as you know that it makes no fucking sense and violates the understood laws of... well, whatever is being discussed.... but for me it adds an extra level of enjoyment when they do get things right or openly defy deepseated mistakes that pass as norms.

For example, the whole memory divided into different parts of the brain in the first volume made me really happy, as it basically kicked the long standing "You only use 10% of your brain" in the nuts and and then pointed and laughed at the idea.
Old 2011-08-22, 17:02   Link #13560
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
For example, the whole memory divided into different parts of the brain in the first volume made me really happy, as it basically kicked the long standing "You only use 10% of your brain" in the nuts and and then pointed and laughed at the idea.
That was one of the funner moments, I admit.

Personally though, I actually find Kamachi's explanations of a lot of the Magic Side's powers, especially the ones God's Right Seat had, to be more interesting than Esper powers on the whole.

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen