AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-26, 09:06   Link #221
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Unfortunately, you can't talk monster's to death in SAO Well, they should count themselves lucky Bethesda didn't make it. Another 2000 people might've died because of bugs rather than monsters and PK's:/
LOL flying away when hit by a giant, or drowning in mid-air, or having gravity lag and being able to fly off stuff would make SAO story a whole lot different
Old 2012-08-26, 09:16   Link #222
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Actually, it did mention it. If you pause when he's selecting it, you can clearly see the rules. It also auto-stops when a player loses half their health, so you can't even 1HKO someone.
I'm not so sure about that. You can't chip away at their lives with non-clean hits indefinitely, but I think if you one-hit KO them, they're dead.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 09:20   Link #223
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1sFyr3 View Post
LOL flying away when hit by a giant, or drowning in mid-air, or having gravity lag and being able to fly off stuff would make SAO story a whole lot different
Fus Ro Dah'ing skeletons would be more than enough to compensate for all those poor souls lost to bugs. Not to mention all the mods, but that wouldn't be avaible in sao.

Just imagine ep 8, Asuna pointing her fork at Kirito, and he goes like "Naaah bitch, FUS RO DAH" and Asuna end up plastered on the wall ^^. Damn skyrim was one fine game even with the bugs.
And I would love for townfolks to go crazy run mode, when dragons would pop down on their towns. Of course dragons with DD mod so that they would rape anyone ^^.
Old 2012-08-26, 09:26   Link #224
Znail

I don't see why some consider Asuna to be a tsundere really. Ok, she pushed him away and gave him a glare after he groped her accidentally, but that is a rather normal reaction. The standard tsundere treatment would then be angry with him for days until he manages to calm the tsundere down. Asuna wasn't even angry long enough for him to have time to say sorry and she didn't even consider not to go out partying with him. So it was just some temporary embaressment and nothing more.

As someone else brought up, so was the marriage thing more of a tease and she didn't even look very serious when she said it.

The knife threats wasn't actually threats but more a show of her speed and a pointedreminder that she can handle herself out there.

So why would she be considered a Tsundere?

Quote:
Actually, it did mention it. If you pause when he's selecting it, you can clearly see the rules. It also auto-stops when a player loses half their health, so you can't even 1HKO someone.

He was somewhat incapacitated at the time.
The half-health one would be one of the other modes. There are three in total, one-hit, half-health and to the death.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 09:39   Link #225
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Fus Ro Dah'ing skeletons would be more than enough to compensate for all those poor souls lost to bugs. Not to mention all the mods, but that wouldn't be avaible in sao.

Just imagine ep 8, Asuna pointing her fork at Kirito, and he goes like "Naaah bitch, FUS RO DAH" and Asuna end up plastered on the wall ^^. Damn skyrim was one fine game even with the bugs.
And I would love for townfolks to go crazy run mode, when dragons would pop down on their towns. Of course dragons with DD mod so that they would rape anyone ^^.
o.o, no one would have quest access to things then and all the newbies would get eaten up. Also, Fus Ro Dah with like 30 people parties on one boss would be funny , especially with some of the better shouts from player mods, such as Fucktons of Trains
Old 2012-08-26, 09:50   Link #226
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1sFyr3 View Post
o.o, no one would have quest access to things then and all the newbies would get eaten up. Also, Fus Ro Dah with like 30 people parties on one boss would be funny , especially with some of the better shouts from player mods, such as Fucktons of Trains
I don't know my skyrim was quite bug free. I didn't have bugged quests and monsters didn't eat me and I was playing on Master with 2H sword which is inferior.
Don't know about mod added shouts.
But Storm Call is more than enough to kill your whole pt and anything near you ^^.

Hmmm still I wonder how only sword based mmo would play like. There is one in production atm called Gloria Victis which will only have medieval sword fights without stupid magic and stuff.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:02   Link #227
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
She said the guildmaster order Kuradeel to accompany her. So his orders to follow her were above her authority. In the end she dismissed him, but said she'd talk to the guildmaster about it later. So in the middle of the episode she decided to challenge his authority, hoping that he'd understand why.

Kirito beating Kuradeel was necessary to prove to the guildmaster that she'll be fine.
But isn't a Kirito an infamous frontliner? He's worked with Asuna and other Clearers numerous times now so the KoB Guildmaster should know very well of his capability. Furthermore Asuna is still a "high-ranking member" here, a position she was granted because the KoB leader trusts her judgement. Kuradeel's job was to guard her, not tell her what to do. All this duel did was just embarrass KoB which had a reputation of being the strongest guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

But some of the in-game mechanics stuff explored in Episodes 3 through 7 could be explained without too much difficulty here in Episode 8, while other bits of it could have waited until later.
That and most of the mechanics weren't all that well elaborated or recurring outside the "Friend List" and "durability". The tracking skill for example was just Kirito pushing a button then "BAM!" done. We don't hear/see about it again either.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:08   Link #228
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
But isn't a Kirito an infamous frontliner? He's worked with Asuna and other Clearers numerous times now so the KoB Guildmaster should know very well of his capability. Furthermore Asuna is still a "high-ranking member" here, a position she was granted because the KoB leader trusts her judgement. Kuradeel's job was to guard her, not tell her what to do. All this duel did was just embarrass KoB which had a reputation of being the strongest guild.
I'd say he's known but not particularly famous. Whenever he goes into a crowd with Asuna the bystanders go "isn't that Asuna?" and "who's that guy with her?" Lisbeth didn't recognize his name either, and presumably she interacts with a lot of front line people. The people who are on the front line will recognize him, but I don't think he stands out from the others during a boss fight. Whatever else, he's not famous for being exceptionally strong. He's just one of many front line players (500 apparently), known mostly for not being in a guild. The crowd apparently thought that he'd be evenly matched up with a no-name member of the KoB.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:11   Link #229
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She tried telling Kuradeel to go back. It didn't work. A duel was necessary to break his will. If that hadn't worked, I guess the next step was either bring it to the Guildmaster (with the loss of time that implied) or bring him with them into the dungeon and MPK the bastard.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:15   Link #230
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not so sure about that. You can't chip away at their lives with non-clean hits indefinitely, but I think if you one-hit KO them, they're dead.
I dunno, it just says it stops when a player reaches 50%. If it's first strike anyway, then you wouldn't be able to hit them twice as it was, so why else would that clause be there if not to say it caps damage at 50% of a player's health?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
The half-health one would be one of the other modes. There are three in total, one-hit, half-health and to the death.
No, it very specifically came up as a clause in the First Strike window after Kirito clicked it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:17   Link #231
Clarste
Human

I agree it makes more sense for it to prevent their life from going below half.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:30   Link #232
Eratas123

Worse: Imagine the backwards flying dragon glitch happening during episode Lizbet's episode The two of them would get splattered into paste.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:34   Link #233
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post

The knife threats wasn't actually threats but more a show of her speed and a pointedreminder that she can handle herself out there.
Regardless of the intentions shoving a knife in someone's face (twice!) isn't a good thing to do atleast in IRL. I'm sure there are otherways she could have proven her point, but I liked the scene so I will let it slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I'd say he's known but not particularly famous. Whenever he goes into a crowd with Asuna the bystanders go "isn't that Asuna?" and "who's that guy with her?" Lisbeth didn't recognize his name either, and presumably she interacts with a lot of front line people. The people who are on the front line will recognize him, but I don't think he stands out from the others during a boss fight. Whatever else, he's not famous for being exceptionally strong. He's just one of many front line players (500 apparently), known mostly for not being in a guild.
Well he's known to the people who matter and has had dealings with famous guild officials such as Asuna. I'm sure she's vouched for him before like she did in this episode. On Liz, the anime never states that whether she particularly well known blacksmith among top players, so it's not impossible for him to be famous and her not to recognize him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She tried telling Kuradeel to go back. It didn't work. A duel was necessary to break his will. If that hadn't worked, I guess the next step was either bring it to the Guildmaster (with the loss of time that implied) or bring him with them into the dungeon and MPK the bastard.
My issue wasn't the duel itself, but rather Kirito being the one to participate instead of Asuna and her being really timid here. Hell Kirito could have just shown his Lvl to shut his mouth and avoid the conflict there. Surely Kuradeel is not so stupid that he'd still want to fight after seeing it.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:35   Link #234
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Worse: Imagine the backwards flying dragon glitch happening during episode Lizbet's episode The two of them would get splattered into paste.
Or Tytanis mod that made Sabercats into choppers. You kill a mob and it rather than dematerialize starts spinning and spinning and spinning and it fly up, mmm now that I think about it, they could use flying chopper mobs bug to get to 100 lvl xd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Well he's known to the people who matter and has had dealings with famous guild officials such as Asuna. I'm sure she's vouched for him before like she did in this episode. On Liz, the anime never states that whether she particularly well known blacksmith among top players, so it's not impossible for him to be famous and her not to recognize him.
I hope he will get the fame he deserves. Even though he follows the rule to not stand out, he is damn strongest player in Sao. I don't think there is anyone stronger/higher lvl than him in the whole game.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:35   Link #235
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I dunno, it just says it stops when a player reaches 50%. If it's first strike anyway, then you wouldn't be able to hit them twice as it was, so why else would that clause be there if not to say it caps damage at 50% of a player's health?
It's possible to damage a player without winning the duel. If you keep doing that till the other guy's HP reaches 50%, you win, even if you haven't been able to land a clean hit.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:35   Link #236
Kamui04

Quote:

No, it very specifically came up as a clause in the First Strike window after Kirito clicked it.
The three modes are:
Normal
Time-limit
and First strike which also specifies that you need to hit the oponent with a powerful initial attack or deplete the HP by half.

I think it means you need to make solid clean hit to count as first strike. Just like in some contact sports, grazes and near misses won't count. As for the half HP it catters to what RPGs are DOT (damage over time) attacks or fighting games where special attacks chip your health even if blocked this won't count as First Strike either but help reduce HP.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:42   Link #237
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I enjoy this episode a lot. It looks like we are getting the main storyline moving now. Kirito X Asuna interaction was wonderfully done, they were really cute together. Being the pro he is, Kirito now can add the accidental groping to his list of achievements

The part where Asuna seems fearful of her follower was kinda off. But at least it let Kirito showed off and I guess it is ok? I am looking forward to the boss fight next episode

I pity the poor rabbit
Old 2012-08-26, 10:44   Link #238
Eratas123

Then again, smithing would be so broken if this was a Bethesda game:/ Make the Ultra Gamebreaker armor and sword so long as you're patient enough to craft iron daggers a lot.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:53   Link #239
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I learned some time ago that you'll never satisfy the people who care the most about "gender roles" and "sexism". Well, that's not entirely true - You might satisfy them by doing what Hollywood tends to do: Pretty much any female character of import (and certainly the female lead) is a very high-achieving kickass heroine that's never allowed to be wrong or show weakness, is always ready with a witty comeback, is often the (snarky) voice of reason, is extremely good at multiple disciplines, and often is better than everybody else at virtually everything. Some female characters being like this is fine, but diversity is the spice of life as they say (and anime thankfully recognizes that).
Actually, quite a few feminists would argue that those characters are sexist as well since it implies that a woman has to be exceptional to have any worth.

There definitely were sexist elements in this episode. The cooking not so much, since it makes sense in terms of her character. But cowering behind Kirito when Kuradeel shows up ... well, imagine how many people would be crying "emasculation!" if the scene were genderflipped. Even if people can explain her behavior in terms of plot, Kawahara still chose to write the plot in a way where that scene happens.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 10:57   Link #240
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
I hope he will get the fame he deserves. Even though he follows the rule to not stand out, he is damn strongest player in Sao. I don't think there is anyone stronger/higher lvl than him in the whole game.
Problem with that notion is, there's always someone stronger.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion