AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-15, 22:55   Link #201
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Well grief is a part of life. She should not give up living. She must live to help for a better future.
Old 2009-12-02, 10:46   Link #202
Enchanted Princess
ピンクの爆発
*Author

Actually, I think Roy would never die. If he does, who else am I gonna watch a totally badass-kicking guy?? Besides, there's in this...

Spoiler for FMA movie:

Spoiler for FMA: Brotherhood episode 19:

Anyway, Roy's my favourite character since the first series!

Old 2009-12-25, 10:04   Link #203
BigFire

Manga Spoiler for chapter 102

Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-25, 20:36   Link #204
GaimeGuy

BigFire: Is there a reason for posting such a huge spoiler? I read the manga, and you marked your spoilers, but I don't really understand why you posted what you did...
Old 2010-05-01, 14:03   Link #205
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Topped for more inane discussion!
Old 2010-05-01, 15:48   Link #206
Kirarakim

I have to say I enjoyed the discussion in the other thread (even if yes we did get side tracked). I guess it goes to show what an interesting character Roy is that we can argue/debate about him for so many pages.
Old 2010-05-01, 16:09   Link #207
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

So, like, I think Roy is hot? Anyone else agree?

Anyway to kick off from last time, I don't get how anyone can say that Roy will be willing to abuse his power when if he gets to become Fuhrer, when already told Riza to shoot him if he oversteps his promise. He already placed a fail switch in case that possibility occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I guess it goes to show what an interesting character Roy is that we can argue/debate about him for so many pages.
Agreed. This is the thing that I absolutely love about FMA, so many interesting characters to talk about. It'll be a shame when it ends
Old 2010-05-01, 16:17   Link #208
Slave0fLife
O_O

Well, I'll put my last post here then:
"... the core of my post was this question: how long can you wait before "being reasonable" (waiting for another solution, suggestion, person who is more worthy) becomes "omission"? If Roy thought of every possibility he could, and didn't find a way. If he asked everyone he could, and no one suggested anything better. How long could he wait to find a better solution without changing from being reasonable to being a coward?

I don't have the answer, because I still don't know what would be the right thing in this situation. Everyone weighs the pros and cons, and make their decisions based on what they think is more pro or less con. I do not believe there is a god, or a higher power, or ultimate judgement. There is no absolute right or absolute wrong. I believe we are here now, and this life is all there is, so we can't keep hoping that other people come up with better solution just because we don't like the path to the outcome. No one would have ever done anything if everyone thought like this.

I know that dictator's and many horrible people also thought like this. I was going to use Hitler as an example, but I don't know if this would crucify me, so I'm going with this: even though I may not agree with some people's actions, I can admire their determination. Please note that this is not in any way saying that "bad actions" are good just because someone is determined. Even if I admire someone's determination, I can still fight against that person and also have completely different ideas of right and wrong. Determination is not related to respect to others, or anything but the will to do something.

Again using the example of Kenshin, I remembered that after the Shishio arc, Yahiko said "Were we right? We must be the correct ones, right? We won." and Kenhin responded "If you think we are right because we won, you're thinking just like Shishio did." In the end, I think some people are just more lucky or capable of establishing their view of what is right or wrong.

With that in mind, I think Roy thought he couldn't wait longer because it would be omission from his part. "
Old 2010-05-02, 03:40   Link #209
GaimeGuy

I find it odd how a lot of people (at least at this forum) think of roy as a practicalist/ends justify the means type person.

he's as much an idealist as Ed and Al are, possibly even greater. That's why everyone follows Roy (including Ed and Al). He's a ridiculously naive idealist like Ed and Al, with his level of ambition being just as large as the naivety of his ideals. Hughes, Ed, Al, Hawkeye, Kain, Falman, Havoc, Breda, Alex, and so many others, they all believe in Roy's vision for the world, and they look up to him, and want him to succeed, helping him in any way they can.

You want a practicalist, you look at Olivier. Mustang's at the other end of the spectrum.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:05   Link #210
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think Ed and Al idolize Mustang in any way, frankly. He's a superior officer, first of all (they are in the military) so they obey his orders. They respect him. They appreciate when he's helpful to their grail quest. But I think their relationship is as often antagonistic as not. For Ed and Al, it's not about helping Roy succeed - it's about how Roy can help them. For his part, I think Roy has an affection for the boys that's rooted in the same soil as his affection for Hughes - they're a brighter reflection of himself, with their idealism still intact.

Mustang has serious followers, that's for sure. He's a great leader - charismatic, driven, single-minded in his vision and good at articulating it. Being a great leader doesn't make someone an idealist.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:41   Link #211
Kirarakim

I don't think Ed and Al's relationship with Roy is antagonistic at all at least not since they learned the truth about Maria Ross. Sure Roy can get on Ed's nerves but it's also pretty clear to me that Ed cares about Roy & sees him as a good person.

Hence we have things like the 520 Cenz promise and Ed being worried about Roy during the recent Envy situation.

Quote:
I think Roy has an affection for the boys that's rooted in the same soil as his affection for Hughes - they're a brighter reflection of himself, with their idealism still intact.
Actually it's Hughes who followed Roy because he saw him as an idealist.

Spoiler for From Vol 15:
Old 2010-05-02, 14:06   Link #212
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, I remember that scene - but I think that's just exactly the point. Compare the lives Mustang and Hughes have led, not the words they used in their semi-teasing, semi-serious conversations.

Any way you slice it, this is subject to personal interpretation until we see how everything turns out in the end. Mustang's actions will provide all the answers, one way or the other, as in many ways he's the man at the center of everything that's happening above the ground (Hoenheim and Father are at the center of everything underground). As powerful an alchemist as Roy is he's even more important as a manipulator of events and strategist, and he's the crucial figure driving those "mundane" events while Hoenheim, Father and the others sort out the mystical side of the conflict.
Old 2010-05-02, 14:39   Link #213
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't think Ed and Al's relationship with Roy is antagonistic at all at least not since they learned the truth about Maria Ross. Sure Roy can get on Ed's nerves but it's also pretty clear to me that Ed cares about Roy & sees him as a good person.

Hence we have things like the 520 Cenz promise and Ed being worried about Roy during the recent Envy situation.
Yup. It's also been shown that their superficial enmity stems from them being so alike (I think Al even put it into words). They refuse something happening to those around them, but tend to neglect themselves.
But yeah, Ed is more idealistic of course~

I think Roy is still idealistic, too. Not so much as in no-killing, but his beliefs certainly are. For example his notion of "everyone protects those under them".

But as Enzo said, it's all personal interpretation at this point
Old 2010-05-02, 14:42   Link #214
Kirarakim

Quote:
Yes, I remember that scene - but I think that's just exactly the point. Compare the lives Mustang and Hughes have led, not the words they used in their semi-teasing, semi-serious conversations.
I am not exactly sure what I should compare. That Hughes got married and Roy didn't? That Roy is aiming for the top and Hughes was just supporting him? Or the fact that Hughes killed less Ishvalans than Roy because he was not a state alchemist but he certainly still took part in the extermination campaign.

Technically Roy is down below with everyone. It's his followers that are manipulating and controlling events up above. He only got things started.

On another note while I do consider Roy a good leader, I don't think people follow him simply because he is charismatic or good at manipulating situations. If you look at his followers they are all people he worked with or helped in the past: The men who served under him in Ishval, Maria Ross, Rebecca, Breda, Havoc, Fuery, etc. These are not people who are following Roy simply on words alone.
Old 2010-05-02, 15:13   Link #215
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, even by my interpretation of Mustang I think you could ironically refer to his practicality as a sort of idealism. Roy believes so strongly that the state needs to be remade in his image that he's willing to do almost anything to achieve that goal. That kind of dedication is idealistic in a sort of paradoxical way.

In terms of why Roy is a good leader, I never suggested it was only his words that inspired others to follow. I think there's a common thread among people perceived as great leaders, and this is - they're sure of themselves. People are drawn to leaders who have a solid conviction that they're doing the right thing - whether they actually are most of the time or not. People like decisiveness, confidence, focus - and Mustang has those in droves. I also think the reason so many who were close to him continue to follow him is loyalty. Whether you agreed with his actions in Ishval or not, there could never have been any doubt in their minds that he was doing it for them. Roy is loyal to a fault, and loyal inspires loyalty.
Old 2010-05-07, 00:44   Link #216
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Whether you agreed with his actions in Ishval or not
I can't hate a character that hates himself for doing it. Simple as that. If there is no shame in the act, then the person is not guilty -- I beg to differ.

Roy is an incredible idealist, and I respect him for actually being realistic -- Most characters of the archetype he fits in aren't realistic in the sense.

Quote:
Which means that he would've died but not of his own will
An individual can make the choice to do a self-sacrificing action, but with a consequence to that action. Roy wanted the best, and he was aware that you have to break some eggs to get omelets. Though I think he put himself in the fire (pun intended) instead of others for somewhat altruistic goals. That is my impression, at least.

Roy is one of my most respected anime characters. Okay, sure -- he can be stupid or self-centered like everyone else, but that is an easy answer: He is human.

I watched the subs of his fight with Envy, and never have I felt so fulfilled to see the f*** get what it deserves. I need to watch it again, just to see Envy attempt to fight back.
Old 2010-06-26, 09:03   Link #217
chikkychappy

Roy is obviously idealistic. His idea of protecting his subordinates, and his subordinates protecting their subordinates and so on until the entire country is protected, is a nonsense that only a naive person can come-up with. As much as I love Roy, I must say that this idea of his makes me go, "lol how old are you."
Old 2010-12-16, 09:36   Link #218
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
So, like, I think Roy is hot? Anyone else agree?
*raises hand* me!!!!

it was a little weird listening to a different seiyuu at first though. but then i realized this new guy also voices another favorite character of mine (urahara from bleach), so i was able to adjust almost immediately. besides, who could resist a "fiery hot" tough guy?
Old 2010-12-22, 18:40   Link #219
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

Roy Mustang is one of my favorite characters of all time. He's so badass, and yes, I agree ^ that he is hot bahaha
Old 2011-07-23, 08:49   Link #220
hanasanaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amutox89 View Post
Roy Mustang is one of my favorite characters of all time. He's so badass, and yes, I agree ^ that he is hot bahaha
hahaha...badass...that's really the word..hahaha