AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2010-09-24, 22:27   Link #221
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
On another note, been wanting to do this one for a while now ever since I found the image.
I tried my hand at smudging again, after all this time!
Spoiler for The New one!:
Nice work there. My golden rule for smudging is to not over-do it, if that makes any sense. Before you whip out your trusty smudge tool, determine the best suited areas to be smudged, otherwise you may get an outcome that looks a little confused and overly smudged.

One other 'protip' if I may; If you decide to smudge an important part of a render, say for example and arm, leg or body (hell, any part of the focal), then make sure that you cannot still see a part of the render underneath the smudged part. Otherwise it looks a bit like a dusty brush has gone over it. However, that may be the effect you were after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworn to Believe View Post
Spoiler for sig:

i got bored, I love purple, and I'd saved a bunch of renders. The purple wavy stuff is a fractal render, which is also what's on the text. (I shall learn to love these)
I know the arm looks funny...clone-stamping issues...tried to fix it but it didn't work. >.<
I've learned to hate fractal renders But, each to their own....

It's a nice outcome, save for the arm; which you mentioned. The background fits the render quite nicely. It's got some lighting issues however, as the small bit of light on the top of her head doesn't look quite right.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 16:19   Link #222
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Nice work there. My golden rule for smudging is to not over-do it, if that makes any sense. Before you whip out your trusty smudge tool, determine the best suited areas to be smudged, otherwise you may get an outcome that looks a little confused and overly smudged.

One other 'protip' if I may; If you decide to smudge an important part of a render, say for example and arm, leg or body (hell, any part of the focal), then make sure that you cannot still see a part of the render underneath the smudged part. Otherwise it looks a bit like a dusty brush has gone over it. However, that may be the effect you were after.

Hmm, well I followed some parts of a tut, I might have interpreted it a bit wrongly.

Well, I was kinda going for the dusty feel of a sig, I wanted a dark, oldish paper look.
But still, I'm taking the protip with me
Old 2010-09-25, 20:14   Link #223
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
But still, I'm taking the protip with me
By all means What I was trying to say is; if you smudge an area and you can still see what it looked like before underneath it, then what's the point of smudging? You may as well have gotten a brush out instead.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 22:16   Link #224
Suomi
Kaiba

Used a tut for the most part. My first smudge-y sig. C&C?
Old 2010-09-26, 06:37   Link #225
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:

I love everything about it, except the text placement to the left, try to get it a bit smaller and set opacity at 50%
Maybe add a little C4D to the left and put it on "screen"

This may well be the best thing you made so far!
I told you the day would come you'd surpass me!
Old 2010-09-26, 11:15   Link #226
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:

Quote:
I love everything about it, except the text placement to the left, try to get it a bit smaller and set opacity at 50%
To add my 2 cents:

I like the simplicity of it and adding any C4D would be overthinking it.

The text is where you could use a better font. Go to dafont.com and plug your name into the custom preview box and see what catches your eye.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-26, 11:58   Link #227
Suomi
Kaiba

Quote:

This may well be the best thing you made so far!
I told you the day would come you'd surpass me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
To add my 2 cents:

I like the simplicity of it and adding any C4D would be overthinking it.

The text is where you could use a better font. Go to dafont.com and plug your name into the custom preview box and see what catches your eye.
I agree on the text, needs a better font. (I'll go find one and then adjust the fractal render over the text to match the font and then set it at a lower opacity.

Kaze-san, I have not yet surpassed you, no no no. I'm proud of my work but it has not surpassed yours! I agree that it's the best thing I've made though.
Old 2010-09-29, 07:32   Link #228
Star-Wing
Covered in Darkness
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Star-Wing
Finally got some free time and I ended up with this:

Any suggestions, anyone? RnR/CnC please.

@Sworn Already CnC-ed yours
Old 2010-09-29, 19:56   Link #229
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Well first off, I really like the pastel colors that you've used. The greens and pinks mesh well together. Text in the top right corner needs some work; it just seems rather bland and arbitrarily slapped into the corner. Lighting could be a bit more obvious. I think I see it, but it looks somewhat like a slight discoloration of the render ATM.
Old 2010-10-01, 18:58   Link #230
Suomi
Kaiba

This is nowhere near finished, but I thought I'd get some thoughts.
Old 2010-10-01, 19:17   Link #231
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

It's nice, the first thing than I have to say is about the text: it's too much on the border. I would also want to see more contrast.
Old 2010-10-05, 20:12   Link #232
Suomi
Kaiba

Poster type thing I'm making for a friend who is obsessed with JRock:
Spoiler for GazettE:

I need some advice as to where to go with it I want to add some effects, tried a bunch of brushes but not liking anything nor feeling anything 3D...Can't really find c4d I like either...dunno
Old 2011-01-27, 02:21   Link #233
Einrei
Eternal Ordeal

Hope some one post here..

i got another siggy made..hope someone CnC this

Im looking for more improvement on my siggy making thanks.
Old 2011-01-27, 02:59   Link #234
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

OK.. here's the thing.. You have 1 BG and 1 main who should be the focus of the sig. However, it look like the sig was flipped. The BG now became the main and the girl lost focus. Why is it so? As you look at it.. your eyes first drawn to the dark area first, then .. oh, here's a girl. Girl simply dont stand out, you want her to stand out in the sig.. and not your BG.

How can we fix it .. Well, you have a light source, but its overwhelming. The girl is already lightly toned, putting more lights on her is, I feel, more counter productive. And make her a bit more sharper. Nice text and font choice.. but i feel the color is a bit out and weird, where did the purple came from?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 06:20   Link #235
Einrei
Eternal Ordeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
OK.. here's the thing.. You have 1 BG and 1 main who should be the focus of the sig. However, it look like the sig was flipped. The BG now became the main and the girl lost focus. Why is it so? As you look at it.. your eyes first drawn to the dark area first, then .. oh, here's a girl. Girl simply dont stand out, you want her to stand out in the sig.. and not your BG.

How can we fix it .. Well, you have a light source, but its overwhelming. The girl is already lightly toned, putting more lights on her is, I feel, more counter productive. And make her a bit more sharper. Nice text and font choice.. but i feel the color is a bit out and weird, where did the purple came from?
I see..ive sharpen the girl only once..and about that light does burn toll will do the trick? and on the text yeah seems so out of place the color just pop out of my mind

thanks KiNa for the comment imma try making another one.
Old 2011-07-24, 04:39   Link #236
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Time to make this thread useful again.

I'm having a huge problem right now that needs a solution, but it's hard to explain, so bear with me. It might be some stupid mistake, but anyway... If you slap a grayscale brush on a black background and then create a color layer on top of it, you can alter the coloration of said brush (everything inbetween #000000 and #FFFFFF).

Thing is, how do you retain that exact effect after removing the background (making the canvas transparent)? All I've managed to do was either a ridiculous glow effect around the brush or lost colors. How am I supposed to achieve the same effect with transparency?

Spoiler for Example:

The example above shows one basic problem; the color layer affects the transparent pixels. So that's a no go. I thought about clipping masks, layer masks, adjustment layers...not working. Tried dozens of other methods...to no avail. What the hell...is what I ask even possible? D:

Thanks for anything...

Edit 1: Slapping some black color underneath the colored brushes helps, but is FAR from acceptable (and beats the purpose anyway).

Edit 2: Should have just set the Photoshop transparent background to black. It shows completely different stuff than making a black background in a solid layer. Why though? And even worse, when I save it, the PNG still doesn't show the same as Photoshop. I thought PNG-24 is pretty much lossless...any insight on that?
Spoiler for Visual example:

Last edited by Larthak; 2011-07-24 at 05:16.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 11:39   Link #237
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Time to make this thread useful again.

I'm having a huge problem right now that needs a solution, but it's hard to explain, so bear with me. It might be some stupid mistake, but anyway... If you slap a grayscale brush on a black background and then create a color layer on top of it, you can alter the coloration of said brush (everything inbetween #000000 and #FFFFFF).

Thing is, how do you retain that exact effect after removing the background (making the canvas transparent)? All I've managed to do was either a ridiculous glow effect around the brush or lost colors. How am I supposed to achieve the same effect with transparency?

Spoiler for Example:

The example above shows one basic problem; the color layer affects the transparent pixels. So that's a no go. I thought about clipping masks, layer masks, adjustment layers...not working. Tried dozens of other methods...to no avail. What the hell...is what I ask even possible? D:

Thanks for anything...

Edit 1: Slapping some black color underneath the colored brushes helps, but is FAR from acceptable (and beats the purpose anyway).

Edit 2: Should have just set the Photoshop transparent background to black. It shows completely different stuff than making a black background in a solid layer. Why though? And even worse, when I save it, the PNG still doesn't show the same as Photoshop. I thought PNG-24 is pretty much lossless...any insight on that?
Spoiler for Visual example:
After all that ... your question is
you want a way to achieve this effect on a black BG?

the colors dont spill?

no answer yet, since its late and i have closed my PS already for the day... but just want to get it clear . No promises on answer either, k
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 16:50   Link #238
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
After all that ... your question is
you want a way to achieve this effect on a black BG?

the colors dont spill?

no answer yet, since its late and i have closed my PS already for the day... but just want to get it clear . No promises on answer either, k
What I want to achieve is have a transparent PNG file that when put on a black background from an external source (like a website bgcolor), the result would look like the picture above. Which I fear is impossible, since as I've shown in my second edit of the first post, there's multiple ways for Photoshop to render the picture...neither of them really showing the final look of a saved file. It's like the "what you see is what you get" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.
Old 2011-07-24, 23:21   Link #239
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
What I want to achieve is have a transparent PNG file that when put on a black background from an external source (like a website bgcolor), the result would look like the picture above. Which I fear is impossible, since as I've shown in my second edit of the first post, there's multiple ways for Photoshop to render the picture...neither of them really showing the final look of a saved file. It's like the "what you see is what you get" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.
Like this?

What I did was:
Black background
Add grayscale brush
Duplicate layer
Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency
Now brush the color on your new layer (the one with the mask).

Edit: Since the layer mask reduces the opacity of the color layer in some places, you might have to duplicate the color layer a few times or adjust the levels in the layer mask. So it's not a perfect method, but with some tweaking I think you can get what you want.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2011-07-24 at 23:47.
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 12:41   Link #240
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Like this?

*pics*

What I did was:
Black background
Add grayscale brush
Duplicate layer
Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency
Now brush the color on your new layer (the one with the mask).

Edit: Since the layer mask reduces the opacity of the color layer in some places, you might have to duplicate the color layer a few times or adjust the levels in the layer mask. So it's not a perfect method, but with some tweaking I think you can get what you want.
That's interesting. Played with it for a few hours and...

...well, this method brings one or more problems to the result:
1) Color vibrance dies.
2) Layer duplications, output level editing, playing with layer styles > not only are the colors more visible, but the original brushes are as well (makes the unpleasant "halo" effect again).
3) Color transitions are hurt badly.

It might be me just setting stuff wrong...but it's downright impossible to blindly try to adjust several color layers and save the file over and over again just to see what changes I've made.

So that's 10+ hours spent on one sig just for curiosity's sake. All this for some transparency. I'll go pull my hair out now.

Thanks again for the input, any other ideas are very welcome.

Tags
discussion, signature