AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-06-06, 10:12   Link #81
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I hope The Triad could also sub Legendary Gambler Tetsuya ... :|

Anyway, at least there's something to look forward to ... Akagi! will be subbed to the end!
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 11:50   Link #82
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Not to brag, but I'm proud I watched Akagi's first episode. Its ambiance of darkness and desolation is simply overpowering; the songs (both OP and ED) contribute to this mood that's semi-noir, semi-angsty. I liked Tetsuya's first episode more, because it was more upbeat, had a brighter sensibility, and looked towards the positive side.

I can definitely argue for its (Tetsuya's) OP to be a lively kind of upbeat, and Tetsuya as the lively kind of cheater - he seems human, but strangely enough it left me an impression that Tetsuya was optimistic, rather than the negative atmosphere brought about by Akagi and his company.

Anyway, it's a very stylistic show: how the characters are drawn simply contribute to it feeling more noir; it's really dark when compared to Tetsuya. But I liked Tetsuya more, I don't know why. Perhaps it's because he looked cleaner, had a definite goal to be good at Mahjong fairly (at first), and didn't seem all that bad - cheating was simply an adaptation to what the others did rampantly, which is cheating itself.

However different I have felt from these two anime possessing very similar themes, I can now say with closure and with certitude that I'm following Akagi. (Although I seriously hate the OP and ED. I think next time, I'll forward through it.)
Old 2006-06-07, 06:02   Link #83
Enkak
The one who do not know

Thanks Triad for subbing this
Enkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 07:44   Link #84
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkak
I definitely share this sentiment.

What do you think of this series?
Old 2006-06-08, 02:00   Link #85
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Time for another bump, as it seems not too many people follow this. Although I really don't understand Mahjong or plan to understand it, the look and how the story is played really captivates. I'm already at episode five and I still can't wait for more. I hope that Triad gets quicker with their Akagi release ... <3 Thank you, Triad, for subbing this!
Old 2006-06-08, 02:17   Link #86
night train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkak
I second that, you guys rock for subbing this.
night train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 02:18   Link #87
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Do you really understand Mahjong, or is it just fun to watch Akagi? My answer is the latter.
Old 2006-06-08, 02:49   Link #88
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yeah, I'm someone else who doesn't really understand most of the mahjong rules and strategy that we're bombarded with in every episode. And this show sings to me regardless.

The show is about human nerve and daring. The mahjong is just a plot device to show that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 03:07   Link #89
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The balls of steel that Akagi has makes the show itself fun to watch despite me not understanding anything about Mahjong. The same was with Legendary Gambler Tetsuya. The balls of steel and the will to get to the top was what really ensnared me to watch these shows.

I did finish Hikaru no Go, too, but the determination and the nerve was for children. Not to say that the anime itself was for children, but it had a lesser amount of risk, and just taught how determination, practice, and perseverance paid off.

Akagi doesn't deal with these. It's the same way with Tetsuya. It's the balls these people have that make the story so enamoring.

TRIAD! NEED EPISODES SOON ... >_< ... lol, pardon ... just wishful thinking ... this is a great series you're subbing. Amazing. Beautiful. WOW.

Last edited by physics223; 2006-06-08 at 11:36.
Old 2006-06-12, 11:09   Link #90
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Do you really understand Mahjong, or is it just fun to watch Akagi? My answer is the latter.
I had very little understanding of Mahjongg(the manga-ka puts Mahjongg in most of his works) beforehand ,but I really enjoyed watching it cuz the animation itself is really well made

After that I kept bugging Chinese kids in my school to teach me Mahjongg..of course they have different rules,but still :P..
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 11:32   Link #91
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I enjoy watching it because Akagi's so fucking cool. The animation also helps forward the plot and develop it with its atmosphere of darkness and evil. Oh, and were you able to get the two subbed Tetsuya episodes? If it helps any for you to download it, I made summaries for both of the episodes. Here's episode one. I hope you also leave a comment.

To continue: I just loved Akagi when he kicked Ichikawa's ass. That kid is balls, nerve, and pure tensai. If you do know how to use IRC, there's still a place where you can get the two Tetsuya episodes.
Old 2006-06-12, 12:10   Link #92
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Akagi's really,really,really cool.In fact the manga-ka drew him similar to his ideal type..other main characters in his manga are not as cool as Akagi..but they're really realistic and 'human' should I say compared to him.Akagi's a gambling monster!

I don't use IRC..that thing's just damn complicated.(or I'm just too lazy)
I'll leave a comment as soon as I get to it.Thanks
I do have 'Mahjongg Saki' ,SE from Tetsuya DVD.It focuses on the most famous cheating skills featured in Tetsuya in real person form.

btw here's a little hint from the comic book on what Akagi does with all the money he won:
Spoiler:

Ichikawa's one of Akagi's most popular rivials.He turned all sexy in the anime too(I'm serious!!).
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 16:57   Link #93
Gryff
England ~_~

Quote:
I play a lot of poker so the similar psychological aspects are interesting, that said I think I'd watch it anyway, its just too damn cool.
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 18:54   Link #94
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Akagi = coolness. Though I'm pretty much amazed with Akagi's ethics. He still has some, and isn't really wasteful on money or anything ...
Old 2006-06-15, 10:28   Link #95
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Episode nine has been released. Thank you Triad!!!
Old 2006-06-15, 13:10   Link #96
Enkak
The one who do not know

Quote:
I definitely share this sentiment.

What do you think of this series?
Basically i had always an weird obsession with mahjong, even not understanding the rules and how it plays. I even bought a real one since i love the artwork of the "domino" pieces you see on mahjong sets

Regarding Akagi, i'm currently on hold watching more episodes until some more are out. I can get a little anxious when i like something. But since i love real mahjong, it was natural that i went a little nuts when i saw an anime based on it.
Enkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 13:13   Link #97
zka

Quote:
Episode nine has been released. Thank you Triad!!!
Yeah.. a big TY ! Can't wait for more episodes.. There is something about akagi that you just can't stop watching
zka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 15:04   Link #98
Nergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zka
Yeah.. a big TY ! Can't wait for more episodes.. There is something about akagi that you just can't stop watching
Agreed.

Cheers for the fast release.
Nergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-15, 19:06   Link #99
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

You guys are right. There's something in Akagi that make you not want to stop watching.
Old 2006-06-16, 17:21   Link #100
aeroshadow
?

Send a message via AIM to aeroshadow
Since I had some time, I went ahead and burned through the first nine episodes today. This show is so stylish!

To be honest, I kinda wished there was some cool down time between the first two mahjong games to develop the characters and storyline some more. I thought the transition was way too fast, and to be honest, even though I truly enjoyed both games, I kind of wanted to see the characters do something other than play mahjong for multiple episodes straight...

It's still good, though. This show is damn good at making a game that I usually see in the hands of easy-going grandmothers insanely intense. At first, I wanted to laugh... but it was too scary! XD

I want to see Akagi stab someone with his nose.
aeroshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, mahjong, seinen