AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-06-05, 14:59   Link #1221
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
She is. It also says that Yoshitsune in Mongol is similar to Chingiz Khan's name.
HAH? What do you mean by this? Is it that similar?
Old 2011-06-05, 15:43   Link #1222
Mars Mode

I couldnt have thought of this, but who knows, It says here that minamoto no yoshitsune could have been Genghis Khan, I only googled "minamoto no yoshitsune and Chingiz Khan".
Mars Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 20:07   Link #1223
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira0802 View Post
HAH? What do you mean by this? Is it that similar?
I don't know...that's why I was surprised as well when the author wrote that.
Old 2011-06-05, 21:03   Link #1224
Mars Mode

Spoiler for Genghis Khan:
Old 2011-06-05, 21:35   Link #1225
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

'義経' - 'Gi-kei' - 'Yoshitsune' (Japanese On'yomi//Conventional)
'義経' - 'Yi Jing' - 'Gi Lang' (Chinese Mandarin//Cantonese) <!--I used a Cantonese Synthesizer to find out how to pronounce '経', as it is the Japanese version of '經', therefore, 'tis not confirmed.-->

What is Wo-Chinese style. Someone enlighten me. All I see '義経' as is a pronunciation with the on'yomi.

It's a legend. Whether it happened in truth is unconfirmed.

The name itself is a stretch, as 'Khan' is the title for ruler in Mongolian. Therefore, there is no reason for it to have had roots out of how Yoshitsune's name might have been pronounced. After all, aforementioned title was used before Genghis Khan established his Khanate.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 22:15   Link #1226
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Well apparently, Yoshitsune is the Khan himself now in the HnA verse....

All that is certain is that Reki's tribe bears his blood and that the Hotogi helped him escape to the Asian mainland.

Won't be surprised if he was Yoshitsune in real life too....the Minamoto were a bloodthirsty, tyrannical lot like most samurai lords in Japan then.
Old 2011-06-06, 01:18   Link #1227
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Anyone have any idea what is a サジット? The kanji reads handgun user but what's that supposed to be?
Old 2011-06-06, 01:38   Link #1228
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Short for Sagittarius?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 02:24   Link #1229
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Short for Sagittarius?
But no link to handguns.....when there are snipers, special weapons teams, and the like everywhere else more deserving of such a title...
Old 2011-06-06, 23:16   Link #1230
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Well apparently, Yoshitsune is the Khan himself now in the HnA verse....

All that is certain is that Reki's tribe bears his blood and that the Hotogi helped him escape to the Asian mainland.

Won't be surprised if he was Yoshitsune in real life too....the Minamoto were a bloodthirsty, tyrannical lot like most samurai lords in Japan then.
thank god the Tohyama didnt have that trait (?!) tho... Kagemoto was one of the best (confirm Japanese history plox) magistrates in the Nagasaki region who had a fair constitution and his spirit was well loved by the people.

i still dont know how in the world the Hotogi and the Tohyama became close (NO MAN is permitted to go into the main shrine yet Kinji and Kinichi were allowed. if this is some sort of plan to have kinji marry shirayuki just by having her near him or the old members of the family try to strengthen the bonds.

also am still speculating... Himiko probably met Kagemoto the same way Kinji went HS and protected Aria...

@Cosmic: isnt Sagittarius the centaur (confirm if he is a centaur or just a human) archer that could pierce the heavens with a single arrow shot?
Old 2011-06-06, 23:30   Link #1231
mysterious

After I read about the proposal and the subsequent manhunt that Reki did, was just a part of the tradition "pillage wives," I wonder whether it would be more hilarious if Reki, instead of delivering the long speech, said "you are my wife" in Laura Bodewig style

Also, they can abduct me anytime with their "pillage wives"
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 23:48   Link #1232
xTinXion07
-Half Vampire-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
thank god the Tohyama didnt have that trait (?!) tho... Kagemoto was one of the best (confirm Japanese history plox) magistrates in the Nagasaki region who had a fair constitution and his spirit was well loved by the people.

i still dont know how in the world the Hotogi and the Tohyama became close (NO MAN is permitted to go into the main shrine yet Kinji and Kinichi were allowed. if this is some sort of plan to have kinji marry shirayuki just by having her near him or the old members of the family try to strengthen the bonds.

also am still speculating... Himiko probably met Kagemoto the same way Kinji went HS and protected Aria...

@Cosmic: isnt Sagittarius the centaur (confirm if he is a centaur or just a human) archer that could pierce the heavens with a single arrow shot?
Yeah, if I remember correctly, he's a centaur and an archer.
But I don't know about the 'single arrow shot'
Old 2011-06-07, 05:46   Link #1233
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTinXion07 View Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly, he's a centaur and an archer.
But I don't know about the 'single arrow shot'
if the myths are consistent, then he's the first ranger to be mentioned in history and it was said he can shoot an arrow that pierces the heavens and distort a cloud with a single arrowshot. Orion was the ultimate hunter (problem, Artemis?) that had deadeye accuracy with his bow.

Combat wise for the archer, he can be suited for almost anything except melee.

history aside, I did notice something with the Mongol archers and their versatility (again confirm)

Standard footman gear (range)
quiver
longbow
dagger (some historians say they carried a full length blade)
standard tip/mail piercing tip/absorbent linen tip

Horseback (mobility)
quiver
mongol shortened bow
MP tip
full length sword

Scout (skirmish)
mongol shortened bow
quiver
full length sword
standard tip
separate quiver for AL tips

I didnt notice Reki using variations of bullets at her disposal.
Old 2011-06-07, 07:21   Link #1234
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

You'd think though that Sagittarus would be more closely related to rockets or rifles than handguns...
Old 2011-06-07, 08:02   Link #1235
Mars Mode

Maybe it talks more about the form of battle. Like how they battled in horses or something along these lines.
Old 2011-06-07, 08:07   Link #1236
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Spoiler for Stealth:

I suppose 'tis confirmed that Akamatsu-sensei is just trying to make 'cool'-sounding names.

Not that that line of logic makes sense to me either, with 'stealth->to steal->a steal' being quite a huge stretch, especially with the 'rarity' being alleged as a factor.

Japanese people don't seem to have any idea either, it seems.

However, as I search for 「サジット」, I find no mention of it except in other mediums as names alike to 'Sajid'.

Japanese people do not romanise Sagittarius, they merely use 「いて座」.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-06-07, 08:35   Link #1237
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Steal and powers have even less link unless he's trying to imply power users are thieves....
Old 2011-06-07, 11:02   Link #1238
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Misunderstood, the author is saying 'steal' as in 「掘り出し物」. A bargain, as it were.

The author is linking the rarity of a 'bargain' with the transitive property, declaring that, as a direct result of the statement 'both bargains and ability users are rare', ability users are bargains.

Stealth -> To Steal -> A Steal ['Bargain'] = Ability Users.

Personally, I think that said view is made without a good proficiency of the English language. Therefore, I discount it on that premise alone.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-06-07, 11:39   Link #1239
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamatsu
掘り出し物→稀少→超能力者
I find this line of thinking totally weird

and using "a steal" to mean bargain is a slang, I believe, and it's not like everyone who understands English knows this.

but by far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamatsu
stealthの動詞でstealの意味
is the most facepalming. I know Japanese in general have a problem with English, but I'm sure he could have done a look up in a proper dictionary... to think 'steal' has become a verb for 'stealth'. *facepalm*

but knowing this, it certainly saves time on any further speculation to this word. I would even think that translating the reading is useless now. just translating 超能力者 is enough.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 12:17   Link #1240
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Just to clear up any possible misunderstandings, the 'author' I speak of is not Akumatsu-sensei. 'Tis merely an answerer of a Yahoo! question which I referenced after searching for: 「ステルス 緋弾のアリア」

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I find this line of thinking totally weird

and using "a steal" to mean bargain is a slang, I believe, and it's not like everyone who understands English knows this.
Certainly. However, the author seems to know aforementioned meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
is the most facepalming. I know Japanese in general have a problem with English, but I'm sure he could have done a look up in a proper dictionary... to think 'steal' has become a verb for 'stealth'. *facepalm*

but knowing this, it certainly saves time on any further speculation to this word. I would even think that translating the reading is useless now. just translating 超能力者 is enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post
Personally, I think that said view is made without a good proficiency of the English language. Therefore, I discount it on that premise alone.
Yes, I will return all translations of 'Stealth' to 'ability user' forthwith.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Last edited by Icy.Tear; 2011-06-07 at 12:29.

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen