AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-09-08, 16:43   Link #2001
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Q. How come Karu's avatar remains animated while Aoie's doesn't? Some kind of size-limit setting?
magic fairy dust I tell you, magic fairy dust
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 16:46   Link #2002
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Q. How come Karu's avatar remains animated while Aoie's doesn't? Some kind of size-limit setting?
And the magic fairy dust helps of course. Mustn't forget the magic fairy dust.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 23:11   Link #2003
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

I've recently noticed I have two rundll32.exe running on my system at the same time. Normal?
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 23:19   Link #2004
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Ehm, that's weird (why in the blazes would the OS need to load it twice?). Googling around gives me several results that, as always in the Windows world, depend on a variety of third-party software misbehaving somewhere or something.

I wouldn't worry too much. Try keeping watch of your processes when you first login. If you still see two instances, then try disabling all processes starting on login. Hopefully you can isolate it that way and not worry about it being some case of malware.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 00:48   Link #2005
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Ehm, that's weird (why in the blazes would the OS need to load it twice?). Googling around gives me several results that, as always in the Windows world, depend on a variety of third-party software misbehaving somewhere or something.

I wouldn't worry too much. Try keeping watch of your processes when you first login. If you still see two instances, then try disabling all processes starting on login. Hopefully you can isolate it that way and not worry about it being some case of malware.
Well, I have confirmed that I have two actual rundll32.exe files on my system. One located in the system32 folder and the other in the "i386" folder under the "ServicePackFiles" folder. The two files appear identical except I am able to edit the compatibility options for the latter. A quick comparison also shows the latter file was created on the 28th of last month. Funny thing is its modified date precedes its creation date and is identical to the modified date of the former rundll32.exe file in the system32 folder.
Old 2008-09-09, 02:26   Link #2006
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You can try process explorer and see which parent process that launch them
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 02:53   Link #2007
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
You can try process explorer and see which parent process that launch them
They are both apparently servicing Nvidia components, so I guess it's not a malicious software problem. Still, there use to be only one rundll32.exe. This still bothers me a bit.
Old 2008-09-09, 10:57   Link #2008
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
They are both apparently servicing Nvidia components, so I guess it's not a malicious software problem. Still, there use to be only one rundll32.exe. This still bothers me a bit.
You can have multiple instances of rundll32.exe just like you can any other process. The executable itself is used to run several different things that are themselves DLL files. The reasons why are technical, but suffice to say that many Windows components are provided as DLLs rather than their own executables. Open up the Add/Remove Programs menu and you'll see another instance of it open.

The only question is what's being run that requires it to be open. If you hadn't already identified the use of them, I'd say kill those processes and see what stops. No need for that now, of course.

Some viruses/trojans/what-have-you (mostly older ones) disguised themselves with similar image names, so just to be on the safe side, update and scan with your anti-virus software. (If your anti-virus software is the home edition of Norton or McAffee, switch to something else, like AVG, Trend Micro, or Kaspersky. If it's not *your* PC to be able to change the software on, just scan with Trend Micro HouseCall.)

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 03:40   Link #2009
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
You can have multiple instances of rundll32.exe just like you can any other process. The executable itself is used to run several different things that are themselves DLL files. The reasons why are technical, but suffice to say that many Windows components are provided as DLLs rather than their own executables. Open up the Add/Remove Programs menu and you'll see another instance of it open.

The only question is what's being run that requires it to be open. If you hadn't already identified the use of them, I'd say kill those processes and see what stops. No need for that now, of course.

Some viruses/trojans/what-have-you (mostly older ones) disguised themselves with similar image names, so just to be on the safe side, update and scan with your anti-virus software. (If your anti-virus software is the home edition of Norton or McAffee, switch to something else, like AVG, Trend Micro, or Kaspersky. If it's not *your* PC to be able to change the software on, just scan with Trend Micro HouseCall.)
I found out what was causing the second rundll32.exe. Nvidia desktop management was enabled somehow without my notice. Disabled it, and the extra rundll32 went poof. Problem solved.
Old 2008-09-10, 15:09   Link #2010
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

another silly question about ordering things and shipping
I'm odering two Dj's from Jpqueen atm and want to use the Yamato shipping
now this is what my question is about: P.O BOX - NO
what do they mean byt hat, while typing I figured it had to do with mail boxes or postage boxes but does that merely mean it doesnt arrive with the regular daily mail in your post box?

also I have to pay through Kagi, can anyone quickly tell me what I'm going to expect with that, I've never worked with paypall before, I got ym acount working though don't have any cash on it still. If I press for the kagi payment do I get linked to their site where I choose to pay with Paypall and if so do I merely type in ym e-mail adress thingy paypall uses?
Old 2008-09-10, 15:30   Link #2011
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
another silly question about ordering things and shipping
I'm odering two Dj's from Jpqueen atm and want to use the Yamato shipping
now this is what my question is about: P.O BOX - NO
what do they mean byt hat, while typing I figured it had to do with mail boxes or postage boxes but does that merely mean it doesnt arrive with the regular daily mail in your post box?
A Post Office box, in this case, is actually a box inside your post office which can be rented for receiving mail, as opposed to the mail box at your residence.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-09-10, 15:34   Link #2012
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
A Post Office box, in this case, is actually a box inside your post office which can be rented for receiving mail, as opposed to the mail box at your residence.
ahaaaa, now I see
so the darned thing will be delivered to my hosue adress yay
okay I ordered it now but I got no clue on what I now actually did or what will happen, I was redirected to Kagi where I was linked to paypall to pay for the purchased items, now one thing do you recieve a giro from paypall and have to deliver that to your bank or will it be taken off your bankacount automatically?
thats all I need to know
all this fussing over nothing I guess
Old 2008-09-10, 15:40   Link #2013
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
ahaaaa, now I see
so the darned thing will be delivered to my hosue adress yay
okay I ordered it now but I got no clue on what I now actually did or what will happen, I was redirected to Kagi where I was linked to paypall to pay for the purchased items, now one thing do you recieve a giro from paypall and have to deliver that to your bank or will it be taken off your bankacount automatically?
thats all I need to know
all this fussing over nothing I guess
PayPal can be linked to your bank account, credit card, etc, and will automatically get funds your preferred source. I don't know how the PayPal transaction would have gone through if you didn't already have it linked to a source of funds... Check your PayPal settings. PayPal should also documents where money was moved from for each transaction log you can see.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-09-10, 15:47   Link #2014
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
PayPal can be linked to your bank account, credit card, etc, and will automatically get funds your preferred source. I don't know how the PayPal transaction would have gone through if you didn't already have it linked to a source of funds... Check your PayPal settings. PayPal should also documents where money was moved from for each transaction log you can see.
aha I see thank you I didn't know that
it seems its on automatic (direct transaction), though it hasn't gone off yet (its still being verified)
this means I won't have to bank any giro's or anything right ?
also underneath my payment method where you can see the verified acount/bank number there's a money amounth in front of it but I'm sure its nothing to worry about, lol I stress out over the sillyest things when I do something new, silly karu all the way and beyooond!

thank you
Old 2008-09-11, 19:49   Link #2015
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Something I was wondering about... when I looked at the forum "Older series" I saw this message at the bottom.

Isn't that sort of an oxymoron. If a user can't post replies, what is the purpose of allowing "editing of replies" as there is no posts that can be made there in the first place? Thus there is nothing that can be edited.

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 21:04   Link #2016
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivio Testarossa View Post
Something I was wondering about... when I looked at the forum "Older series" I saw this message at the bottom.

Isn't that sort of an oxymoron. If a user can't post replies, what is the purpose of allowing "editing of replies" as there is no posts that can be made there in the first place? Thus there is nothing that can be edited.

I guess if someone hacks Animesuki and posts there they wanted the person to be able to Edit in an apology?

Edit: I think it might be on by default in all of Animesuki. Generally editing of posts is pretty much always on in vB boards. At least, any that I have been to. (Yes... I did answer in an edit. q_q)

Last edited by Traece; 2008-09-11 at 21:05. Reason: Oops. Forgot my answer?
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 10:27   Link #2017
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Isn't that sort of an oxymoron.
I think you are stretching the definition of oxymoron a little too far.
Quote:
If a user can't post replies, what is the purpose of allowing "editing of replies" as there is no posts that can be made there in the first place? Thus there is nothing that can be edited.
Technically, we could move one of your posts into that area and then you could edit it.

The confusion comes from the way the forum's permissions have been configured (for simplicity of maintenance). Posting new threads is not permitted in any of the series discussion sections. To simplify this we apply the rule at the section level and inherit the property down into all the sub forums. You cannot post replies to existing threads in the section (where as you can in the actual sub forums) for a completely different reason: the section's sub forum is itself closed (the others are open). We use a sub forum rather than a category as the forum designers intended (which would not need to be closed to block all posting) because of page layout differences that we wanted to avoid.

So, permissions say you can post replies and edit existing posts, but not make new threads, where as the forum closure says you cannot post replies. The closure is not inherited, so you can post in sub forums but not the category forum. If we also blocked editing, we would have just undone all the simplification (because we would need to have different permissions on the sub forums or say you cannot edit posts there either).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 13:30   Link #2018
tenken627
what Yagi said

Silly question - more geared towards the European posters:

Why do I never see the French on any type of forum/message board/online gaming/etc.

I understand that the types of message boards I use and the games that I play are in English and not French, but I always see many people from the UK (obvious), the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, and some from Spain, Italy, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc, that use those same mediums in English.

But, I never see anyone from France.

Do the French just choose to stay away from mediums in English? Or do they just not use the internet as frequently (or have as much access to it - i.e. infrastructure)? Or is it just me??
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 15:40   Link #2019
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think it's just you, I see enough of them.
Old 2008-09-12, 15:56   Link #2020
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Or is it just me??
Like Cats, I also think it's you. I would suggest you read or post in the Where are you from... thread to get your answer.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious