AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-16, 20:00   Link #2861
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
They have done quite a few times, so it's not impossible.
...Not really, no. I can't remember a single one of those "quite a few times", the major event in the following episode is almost invariably made ridiculously obvious. Well, not that I care much, since obviously by now all of us know the story of DB by heart, but yeah.

And man episode 89 was incredible, despite the really weird awkward and sudden cutoff ending. Definitely up there with the Piccolo vs #17 episode as far as best action packed episodes go.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 20:03   Link #2862
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
...Not really, no. I can't remember a single one of those "quite a few times"
Yeah there's a few, but like you said it doesn't matter, so i'll just drop it. :P
Old 2011-01-17, 20:25   Link #2863
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

I don't mind the preview spoilers so much. I see it more as a wink and nod to us viewers, that they're basically saying we know that you know what's up, so let's not beat around the bush here...this is what we're covering next week ____.

That's more useful to us than "OMG WILL GOKU SURVIVE?! FIND OUT NEXT TIME!!!".

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 23:56   Link #2864
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ My sentiments exactly.
Old 2011-01-18, 01:40   Link #2865
GDB

To be fair, you never know if someone's going to get offed in DBZ (provided you don't literally already know what's going to happen). All you know is that if they do, it won't stick.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 04:42   Link #2866
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

The trend to have the Seiyuu make snarky jokes in the previews in 2000's anime really destroyed the horror of some of the episodes that followed:

In particular the episode preview for 18's absorbtion by Cell ("I really wish I tried more clothes and makeup!!") and the preview for when Cell pounds Vegeta into the dirt.

I really, REALLY hope they hold off the smartass sarcasm for the heartbreaking episodes when
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-18, 20:25   Link #2867
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
To be fair, you never know if someone's going to get offed in DBZ (provided you don't literally already know what's going to happen). All you know is that if they do, it won't stick.
Haha, that's a good point. Besides, I sorta recall the previews in DBZ being more spoiler-ific anyway. Okay, maybe not, I honestly don't remember, but I just wanted to share that one time where Goku "seemingly" dies (I think it was when he fell into the lava against Freeza), and the preview narrator gets all dramatic, something to the tune of "OH NO! IS THIS REALLY THE END FOR GOKU!?", and like the very next second you see Goku flying around again in the previews.

I forget if they did the same in Kai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
The trend to have the Seiyuu make snarky jokes in the previews in 2000's anime really destroyed the horror of some of the episodes that followed
Aw, c'mon. That's like the main reason why I watch them at all.

Old 2011-01-23, 09:54   Link #2868
Blaat

Spoiler for episode 90:
Old 2011-01-23, 10:12   Link #2869
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Spoiler for episode 90:
Should be Yamcha.
Old 2011-01-23, 10:22   Link #2870
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Sigh... if only Yamcha was still the pretty face that the girls screamed over, who ALSO had the heart of the Leading Lady....

But now that Veggie has taken BOTH of those badges away from the lovable scarred one...
Old 2011-01-23, 11:37   Link #2871
Kallen4life

I'm @ ep 87 now, Goku vs Cell is just beginning, think I'll wait for the Cell games to end and then watch all of it at once

btw, enjoying this immensely
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 12:00   Link #2872
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Oh, new music alert when
Spoiler for Series spoiler:

Otherwise, I didn't really care for this cut. I think I like the Cell Games so much that I miss the stupid dramatic pauses
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 14:49   Link #2873
Kallen4life

Cell games and Cell arc/saga are definitely my fav's in DBZ

and Cell himself
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 15:42   Link #2874
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Pretty poor pacing for Kai's standard, though the episode did the job, plus seeing how much material will be covered in next weeks episode makes up for it. The drama starts next week!

It doesn't matter how many times i see it, i always laugh my arse off at everyone's reaction to Goku saying he surrenders , comedy gold. Piccolo, Trunks and Vegeta's reaction to Cell saying all three of them together are still too weak to fight him was also funny.

& i really like the music placement of 'A Grim Fate' at the end there, really nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Oh, new music alert when
Spoiler for Series spoiler:
Yeah it was a new piece, and a good one at that. Actually it's the first new piece we've had in a good while. I'm hoping for much more in the Buu arc. If we see the arc that is.
Old 2011-01-23, 17:02   Link #2875
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

my favorite part of the series has begun
Old 2011-01-23, 22:30   Link #2876
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah it was a new piece, and a good one at that. Actually it's the first new piece we've had in a good while. I'm hoping for much more in the Buu arc. If we see the arc that is.
You mean the music as Gohan is fighting Cell? It's good, but I think especially so for us who already know what's coming. It's got that sadness and foreboding to it that matches so well with what we know...that is, Goku stupidly misunderstanding his own son so badly and Gohan pretty much going off to die because he has all the faith in the world in his father. It's pretty damn tragic, and if it weren't for a fluke, it would've ended in wholesale slaughter for them all.

Old 2011-01-23, 23:08   Link #2877
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
You mean the music as Gohan is fighting Cell? It's good, but I think especially so for us who already know what's coming. It's got that sadness and foreboding to it that matches so well with what we know...that is, Goku stupidly misunderstanding his own son so badly and Gohan pretty much going off to die because he has all the faith in the world in his father. It's pretty damn tragic, and if it weren't for a fluke, it would've ended in wholesale slaughter for them all.
Spoiler for Ep90:
Old 2011-01-23, 23:40   Link #2878
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The start of the fight between Gohan and Cell was pretty ugly. I think the whole world winced with him just laying all those hits into Gohan who couldn't do anything about it. Does give a difference challenge to Cell since Gohan is so much smaller than him.[/Spoiler]
You know, it's funny (well, maybe not funny funny), but we've seen Gohan get smacked around plenty before (an especially nasty whipping by Recoome comes to mind), but it wasn't really until now that I actually felt bad for him and realized that we're basically watching a poor, small child get beaten to death. :\

Spoiler:

Old 2011-01-24, 05:02   Link #2879
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
You mean the music as Gohan is fighting Cell?
No, the new piece was when Goku and Gohan were talking about fighting Cell.
Old 2011-01-24, 07:40   Link #2880
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I kept wondering ever since the original airing of this episode as to why Goku just didn't have a bag of Senzu beans and replenish to finish Cell off for good. Or was that some 'infinite ki' thing for Cell? Then how did Cell's ki diminish with resurrections and giant fireballs? Oh well.. going by that logic, Goku should have had a Senzu bean bag with him at ALL TIMES and he would have had a lot less trouble for almost all of his DBZ fights. Of course, they just explain it that Goku has the Saiyan Pride and some such.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote